Start by marking “The Modern Book of the Dead: A Revolutionary Perspective on Death, the Soul, and What Really Happens in the Life to Come” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A modern exploration of what happens after death, uniting spirituality with philosophy, biology, neuroscience, and rich examples of afterlife experiences.

What happens to us after we die?

It remains perhaps the single most important question we can ask, one that still inspires thousands to turn to the Tibetan and Egyptian Books of the Dead for hope and comfort. But we can
Published February 14th 2012 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Modern Book of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern Book of the Dead

Lindsey
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Addressing one of the key questions central to religious thought, Tompkins brings a variety of ideas about the afterlife and assembles them into a cohesive vision of the afterlife that is both astoundingly simple and contains all the rich complexity of the religious traditions he draws it from. This engaging treatise on death and why a belief in an afterlife matters explores the similarities without neglecting the differences found in descriptions of afterlife beliefs around the world, including ...more
Eben
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating synopsis of the afterlife over a broad swath of cultures and millennia -- most insightful!
Sharon Liu
So meta that I couldn't finish it
C.W. Smith
The preface had me on the toilet 'til my legs went numb. Some chapters lagged a bit, and the later chapters dealing with near death experiences sometimes ventured into territory I'm not even sure I can lend credence to, especially Tompkins's coverage of Frederic Myers's posthumous writing via a medium... Meanwhile, however, this extension of credulity makes the book stronger and more surprising. Tompkins tested my limits to the point of disbelief. Why should a book about the most unknown of unkn ...more
Dan
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite TV characters is Fox Mulder from X-Files. On his wall in his office, he has a poster of a UFO, with the words "I want to believe" in large letters. That is exactly how I feel about all the after-life theories that I hear about all the time. However, my biggest problem with them is that there is offered no scientific proof that one theory is right, or others are wrong. Without solid proof, you would fall into the trap of believing whatever "sounds good" to you. This author not ...more
C. Penders
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Entire Worldview
By Christopher Jennings - March 2, 2014
This book holds my entire worldview.
--Reincarnation.
--Returning to the light when we transition.
--Many levels of consciousness.

An amazing book all the way around. A must read for anyone interested in knowing what happens to us when we transition.
If there are so many stories from so many disparate cultures then there MUST be SOME validity to all these stories.

This is one major tenet I've taken away from reading this book:
Once you realize t
Shirley
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well written and intelligent approach to the subject of what, if anything, happens after death. The author examines some classic texts like the Egyptian Book of the Dead and the Tibet Book of the Dead, some unique sources from a western perspective as well as scientific findings and creates an intriguing and carefully explained theory that combines the eastern notion of absorption into an oceanic consciousness and the western belief in the survival of the individual consciousness.

Tompkins
David
An enjoyable read and a good introduction to the topic of conscious survival of death. Not deep or paradigm shifting by any means but a good read and worth the time of anyone interested in the subject.

Mostly, however, The Modern Book of the Dead fits into the New Age/Self-Help category rather than a deep and meaningful examination of the nature of death and conscious survival of this.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommended for those interested in the subject of consciousness surviving bodily deat
Melissa
This book was really interesting since it seemed to focus a bit more on the idea of reincarnation. Some chapters were great and I sped through them others were tedious. One thing I did not like was he would be discussing one topic then all of a sudden it changed to something else then back. It still went with the flow of the chapter but made it hard to concentrate. The last few chapters were not favorite and seemed a bit far fetched to me.
Shelley Hainer
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelley by: Alma
Excellent, comprehensive, review all the documentation from the 'dawn of time' - from the Myth of Er to reports through medium and those amongst us with NDA's. Bogged down for me a bit in the middle, though well worth the plow through -- to the other side -- with lots of insights to reflect upon, and reflection to yield insight, whether based on personal experience or pure imagination!
Pickyreaderinblack
Answered (?) or at least offered a more comfortable view of what might happen on the other side of the "door". I actually finished it last Autumn - but am reading it again, just to let his thoughts sink in a little deeper this time - let myself ponder them even more.
Oyl
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating look into a subject I have given very little thought to - what happens to us after death. The writing us a bit dry and text book like at times, but the underlying information is thought provoking at the least.
Ron
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative
Lloyd Klinedinst
a thorough march through his personal 'Ptolemaic System', but not factual and demonstrable enough for my 'taste'
Ronda Kisner
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and I plan to reread it. I found the ideas presented to come from a unique perspective.
Dianna
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is somewhat interesting, but quite repetitive. It is better suited for someone who has not read about related subjects in any depth.
Deborah