Start by marking “Bear's Loose Tooth” as Want to Read:
Bear's Loose Tooth

Bear's Loose Tooth (Bear)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,206 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
In this Classic Board Book edition of Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear's friends help him deal with his first loose tooth!

From a cave in the forest
came a “MUNCH, MUNCH, CRUNCH!”
as Bear and his friends
all nibbled on their lunch.

Bear and his friends are munching on their lunch when all of sudden… Bear feels something wiggling and wobbling in his mouth. Oh no! What can it be? It’s Be
Published August 30th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear's Loose Tooth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear's Loose Tooth

Tonya Branch
Sep 26, 2011 Tonya Branch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caldecott Award Choice

This is a cute story about a bear who has a loose tooth. The story begins as Bear and his friends are eating lunch in the forest. Everything is fine until Bear feels something "wiggle and wobble" inside of his mouth. It was his loose tooth. All of his friends Hare, Mouse, Owl, and Badger, tried to pull the tooth out. They struggled and struggled "but the tooth wouldn't budge." Then, Bear used his tongue to push the tooth back and forth and the tooth finally came out and all
Montserrat
Jul 17, 2012 Montserrat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Bear and his friends are eating lunch in the forest when suddenly he feels a wibble-wobble in his mouth. What is it? Bear's got a loose tooth! This sets up the premise for the story, as all of his animal friends rally round and try to help him get the tooth out in all manner of funny ways.

Children will love the rhyming nature of the book and the refrain of "Bear's loose TOOTH!" at the end of most verses. The variety of characters also makes this a great book to read aloud. You can also use funny
Amanda Snow
Sep 24, 2011 Amanda Snow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at www.apatchworkofbooks.com

Karma Wilson's "Bear" books are some of my favorite to read aloud. The rhymes are always done really well in terms of flow and the silliness of the story comes through perfectly.

In this latest Bear installment, poor Bear has a loose tooth! He's worried about what it means to have a loose tooth, until his faithful friends come to his rescue, as they always do. If you've read the other stories, you'll know Bear is a big worrywart and his friends ar
Candice
Nov 19, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
I LOVE Karma Wilson's Bear books with Jane Chapman's illustrations! This one is perfect to get children used to the idea that they, too, will lose their baby teeth and that it's nothing to fear.

"As Bear nibbled food,
something moved when he chewed!
It was...
Bear's
loose
tooth!"

Surrounded by adorably drawn friends who offer support and encouragement, Bear wiggles his loose tooth free and, after a visit from the tooth fairy, is happily enjoying breakfast with his friends when...
Miranda
 photo bear2_zpscdc4b0e7.jpg

BEAR'S LOOSE TOOTH is such a big hit at our house. My boys LOVE this story.

The title basically says it all. Bear does indeed loose his tooth. Every single time I read this book, my kids giggle and laugh. They love the pictures. It's hands down one of the best kids books we've had the pleasure of reading at bedtime.

Definitely a favorite in my household. We love Bear and all his friends.
Megan Willis
Feb 11, 2013 Megan Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memories, block-2
SO CUTE! I have read this book to my class and we got a variety of activities out of it, including comma practice, making lists, story elements, dental hygiene, and creative writing prompts. The characters are adorable. Having a loose tooth is something that my first graders can relate to and are excited about!
Michelle Nero
Jul 19, 2013 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
We read this book and my 3 year olds learn that they will lose their baby teeth just like Bear. Also their first introduction to the tooth fairy. "But I don't want berries like Bear, " my daughter said. :)
Kate Puleo Unger
Jan 22, 2017 Kate Puleo Unger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books-read
This book is another fun one in the Bear series. This time bear has a loose tooth. All of the other forest animals try to help him pull it out. I selected this book from the library because Christopher once again has a couple of loose teeth. It's a fun read for kids about to or in the midst of losing their own teeth. It even has the tooth fairy at the end.

Danette
Mar 06, 2017 Danette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
3/6/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Erin
Bear's Loose Tooth is a book about Bear whose tooth must be loose, for as he ate he heard MUNCHING and CRUNCHING! Bear's forest friends came from all around looking to help their friend Bear with his tooth scenario. They warned him not to fret, though, because a new tooth would come in once the old one fell out. His small bird friend, Wren, came to give it a tug, but her smallish size just wouldn't do. Then Owl grabbed the tooth and gave a mighty pull, but Bear's tooth was stuck! Finally, Bear g ...more
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: Bear is eating with his friends, but notices something unusual. He has a tooth that is loose. His friends tell him not to worry and that they will help. One by one they try to pull out the tooth, but they are all too small to get the job done. It is bear, with his strong tongue who gets the tooth out. The fiends also tell hm not to worry because new tooth will grow in its place. Cute surprise ending.

ILLUSTRATIONS: In typical Bear style, the pictures are cute and colorful, giving you ple
Becky
1. Audience: This book has very colorful pictures, it is short, and easy to read. The book is also playful and I think it would be best read to kindergarten through second graders.
2. Appeal: The main characters in this book are animals and it talks about life lessons that children these ages can relate to. The book also is repetitive.
3. Activity: I would talk about how we all loose teeth and some of them come out easier than others. I would also talk about friendship and how friends help you o
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2011
We have loved Karma Wilson's Bear books for years. They were some of the first books that I reviewed here on Goodreads. Our girls are getting a little old for these stories, but thankfully they still humor me. Our youngest is getting ready to loose some teeth, so this story is particularly appropriate.

The rhymes aren't quite as fluid and rhythmic as they are for Bear Snores On, but the illustrations are just as adorable and our girls love the repetition - they will often finish the sentences fo
Jenn C
I love the Bear books by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman (actually, I love anything written by Karma Wilson, but that's besides the point ;) Bear's Loose Tooth, while engaging, is not my favourite of the bear books (but then, nothing beats the original, either). Mouse's lines were the same from the original (which, since I have a "mouse voice", I remember distinctly). I read this to the preschoolers when we were talking about teeth. Of course, everyone then had to show me their teeth... ;)
Kelsey Peterson
In this book Bear was just going on with a normal day, until he is having lunch with his friend's and his tooth comes out. Bear's friends explain to him that it is normal to loose your baby teeth, so your adult ones can grow in place of them. This book shows that the support and knowledge of your friends can be helpful when you are in a situation and your not sure of what should or could happen. So I would use this book in the younger elementary grades beacuse they are still loosing their baby t ...more
Melissa Lampe
Audience: Primary

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Have you ever heard of a bear loosing his tooth? In Bear's Loose Tooth, Bear starts nibbling on his food and something moved when he chewed. He had a loose tooth. Bear was so worried he would not be able to eat, so his friends the hare, mouse, and wren tried different strategies to pull Bear's tooth out and none of them were successful. Then, all the sudden Bear pushed his tooth with his tongue and his tooth popped out. You'll never guess what Bear got
Taril Slater
Apr 14, 2014 Taril Slater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edr-653
Bear's Loose Tooth by Karma Wilson depicts a bear who encounters a loose tooth while eating lunch with his friends. They ease his concerns about his loose tooth and reassure him that loosing a tooth is a natural occurrence in life. This book is another cute story that everyone can relate to. It is a story that younger kids will be able to connect with and want to know more about. I would use the book to have students discuss how they felt when they lost their first tooth and the teeth following ...more
Cindy
Feb 24, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Bear! I love Bear and all his friends, and how they make a community - family they picked! It makes life better when there is someone to help when you are down, be brave when you are scared, celebrate with you when there is joy - Bear and his friends demonstrate that so reliably, every book!

This one - well, every kid gets that first loose tooth - everyone in the family volunteers to help pull it - and eventually, you get your own tongue under there and out it pops! Beautiful illustrations
Ginna
Great book!
I did my oral health lesson with this book and some others, but I can tell you that children really enjoyed this one. It has repetition, prediction, new vocabulary and much more! I did my lesson with 3 year old children but it will be good for children up to firs grade. It also involves friendship and feelings.
Have fun with it!

I used egg cartons to simulate teeth and ask the students to brush and floss the teeth with a real tooth brush (Each student had one, I received the material a
Melanie
The adventure's of Bear continue in this tale of loosing teeth. Bear's eating with his friends one day when he notices that one of his teeth is wiggling. His friends assure him that losing teeth is normal and a few take turns trying to get the loose tooth all the way out. Finally Bear just wiggles the tooth with his tongue and it falls out. He puts the tooth next to his bed where, in the middle of the night, the tooth fairy exchanges it for blueberries.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jul 28, 2012 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
MY REVIEW:

Have a child with a loose tooth? Then have fun with them by reading this adorable book! Bear has a loose tooth and his friends try to help him get it out. Finally he pulls it out himself and the tooth fairy leaves a sweet treat (blueberries). It's pictures are so sweet with all the cute looking animals and their fun antics. If my children were younger, I would be buying this book to keep. It's purely simple fun in a book!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
What's more universal than a story about a loose tooth? Karma Wilson delivers another great book about Bear and his friends. One after another, Bear's friends try to pull out the tooth to no avail. Then Bear "gave it a little nudge, he wiggled it to and fro, and then what do you know...Bear's tooth fell out!" Share this book with with your favorite loose-toothed child. ~ Reviewed by Lisa Coleman, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Dec 03, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story about a Bear who has a loose tooth! Bear's friends try to help him out with his wobbly tooth and thus an adventure is born within these 40 pages!

The illustrations are really quite cute and the story for most of the time has a rhyming pattern so any child will be able to pick up - either reading it themselves or having it read to them!

Just wait and see what happens to bear when his tooth does finally wibble and wobble out of his mouth!
Mariah Eshelman
I loved the illustrations in this book. They pictures animals all in the forest surrounding their friend the bear. Bear was going to lose a tooth but they could not seem to get it out. Finally, bear was able to wiggle it loose. The tooth fairy came buy and left him blueberries, and then he found he had another tooth he was about to lose! This book showed friends helping one another out and being there for each other. This is a fun story that children would love.
Sep 22, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really LOVED this book! It's a wonderful story for young children to read, and also a great learning experience for those who have loose teeth or have lost teeth. It teaches young children how to get out a loose tooth too. It had a great storyline. I thought the book was also, cute and slightly humorous. The illistrations and use of colors were pretty good too. It's definitely a book worth reading.
Alexander The Triumphant
In this book there's a bear and when he was eating his lunch, he felt something moving and it was Bear's loose tooth. And Bear's friends tried to pull the tooth out but it wasn't going out and after they all got a turn, Bear wiggled it and he wiggled it until it fell out. I liked this book because Bear's tooth was loose. -by Alexander
Dominique St-pierre
I liked this sweet book about Bear losing a tooth. As usual, all the friends are sweet and try to help. I used the book in my classroom to help Kindergarteners make predictions - which also encouraged asking questions, talking to one another and accessing background knowledge. The illustrations are beautiful.
Abhinav
I think the theme is that you should help each other and work together. I think that's the theme because in the story bear had a loose tooth and he couldn't get it out. So his friends helped him pull out the tooth. Even the little birds helped and after everyone helped, the tooth came out.
Becky
May 18, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The illustrations in Karma Wilson's "Bear" books are so appealingly soft and friendly and colorful, and my three-year-old son loved this one, but I have a personal squeamishness toward loose teeth and was thus completely grossed out by this one. Not one I'd personally like to read over and over, but that doesn't mean you won't like it if you like these books and you don't share my aversion.
Zacaro Caro
Jan 16, 2013 Zacaro Caro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this at the library to my kids, by the end I had 4-5 kids sitting down on the floor listening, so I read two more of Karma Wilson's books and gathered an audience of 8-10 kids. That's the type of author Karma Wilson is, kids want to listen, parents want to read, and it's the type book that's fun to read out loud. "And Bear says thanks!"
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • Llama Llama and the Bully Goat
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Pig Kahuna
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • The Wonderful Book
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • The Bear Who Shared
  • Fairly Fairy Tales
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Pirates Go to School
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Snores On
  • Bear Wants More
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Bear's New Friend (The Bear Books)
  • Bear Feels Sick