Start by marking “RRRalph” as Want to Read:
RRRalph

RRRalph

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  903 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Don’t think dogs can talk? Then you haven’t met Ralph! He’s the smartest pup around, and he can tell you all about whether the path is rough, rough on his paws, or whether he wants to come inside. ( Yep, yep, he does!) Featuring playful, dimensional collage illustrations and a funny and sweet call-and-response text, RRRalph is sure to get little ones laughing (and talking ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about RRRalph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RRRalph

The Library Lady
Jul 14, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Listen up you hallowed members of the Caldecott Committee. Lois Ehlert deserves your medal. She has deserved your medal for years, while you have repeatedly passed her by for everything from a biography illustrated with woodcut prints to a frickin' pseudo graphic novel.
Take a look at this one. It embodies everything Ehlert can do. Look at her use of various media to create her collages. Look at her bold, clear designs that have appeal for even a toddler.
Combine that with a simple, clear text tha
Tasha
May 18, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Ehlert returns with another cleverly illustrated book, this time featuring a dynamic dog. Ralph is a dog who is able to talk. No, really! When they brought him home and asked him his name, he replied with “RRRalph Ralph.” He can tell you where he is when he climbs up on his doghouse: “Roof roof.” Just ask him what is on the outside of a tree, and he knows that it’s BARK. The book continues with more questions for Ralph and him answering them with a variety of barks, until at the end, he only rep ...more
Andrea
Feb 09, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Award winning author Lois Ehlert makes an excellent job as a writer and illustrator in this storybook. It is a kid telling the story of how his new dog can talk! Lois is very creative with the questions asked to the dog so that the word the dog talks is the same as a dog sound they would make. It will make children as well as parents and teacher laugh through out the whole story.
Through recycling beautiful images of the dog ralph the main theme or topic of this picture book is Dogs and language
Rebecca Tenbrook
Feb 17, 2014 Rebecca Tenbrook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot simply because I couldn't stop laughing the entire time. I think if read to students they will enjoy it as well and laugh right along with you. This book plays on the sounds that dogs make (ruff, bark, yep, wolf, and so on) and make it seem like the dog is actually talking. I would love to share this to a class and see if they pick up on the fact that sometimes the way that a dog barks can sound like an actual word. I would love to read this to a class and then have stu ...more
Elisabeth
May 18, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bringing this home to my boys (8 and 3). The older one will like all the jokes and the little one will like the pictures (I want to see Lois Ehlert's studio someday - I have visions of piles of all sorts of fun stuff).
Cole Mueller
RRRalph is a children's book about a dog who's owners think it can talk. However, the sounds are just barks that sound familiar to english words. For instance, when he barks "woof", they think he is saying "wolf" and when he barks they think he is talking about tree bark.

The theme of this book is deception because it teaches us not to be deceived by things, such as similar sounds.

I thought this book was decent because of its humor.

I am indifferent about recommending this book because it had weir
Rosa Cline
Dec 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is a very sweet simple storybook. My nearly 4 year old granddaughter and my special needs teen age son giggled at this book as I read it to them. If you have someone that loves dogs-puppies then they will LOVE this book. Through out the story they say "My dog says his name" and then the way the dog barks sounds like Ralph then they'll say "How's the gravel feel on your paws?" and he says "Ruff Ruff" So as the narrator asks how Ralph feels, or sees Ralph answers with a sound that a 'normal' ...more
Kelly
RRRalph by Lois Ehlert is a nominee for the 2013-2014 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

RRRalph is a very easy-to-read book about a dog who seems to be able to talk. He even told his owners that his name was Ralph! Ralph tells his owners when he's on the roof, that there's bark on the tree, that the path is rough, that a wolf is nearby, that he wants to come in the house when he's scared, and he makes it clear when it's time to sleep. Can Ralph really talk to his owners? The fun will be in havin
Taril Slater
Apr 14, 2014 Taril Slater rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edr-653
RRRRalph by Lois Ehlert has an invisible narrator who says his or her dog can speak. The narrator asks the dog questions and says that the dog can respond. I think the book was cute but I wasn't a fan of the story. I think students will find the book entertaining and teachers can only use the story to entertain. This book is a very good introductory book to get students interested in learning to read.
Benjamin Elliott
The book is built around a single gimmick of the dog saying "words" where meaning is ascribed to the spellings of the sound effects typically used for dogs in the United States. Some of the them are changed by a sound or letter to make the associations stronger (or work at all), but it works best when the original sound is left intact.
The book is illustrated using paper cut-outs and other objects that are laid out and photographed. It gives the book its unique character and works as a change of
Melanie
Lois Ehlert does it again in a fantastic book for kids. The narrator explains that his dog can talk and then proceeds to prove it. For example, when asked what's on the outside of a tree, Ralph responds with "Bark! Bark!"

Great way to get kids to interact in storytime. Children will also enjoy identifying the different objects Ehlert uses in her art.
Crystal Thomas
Rrralph was a very short, simple picture book. probably best for children younger than preschool. the boy in the book says his dog can talk because when he asks him what is on the tree he says "bark bark." The illustrations were different - the dog has a pop can tab for a nose. Overall, I was not very interested in the book and don't believe it would hold a child's attention for very long.
Tori
Feb 07, 2015 Tori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool
It is a cute story but, there is not much to it. I don't think I would use it in my classroom for reading related activities but, I might use it for an art activity because, if you look at Ralph he is made out of different objects and textures. I think this would be a good book for bedtime.
Dominique St-pierre
What a sweet, fun book! I read it to our one-year-old neighbor and to my Kindergarten students. While the one-year old enjoyed making all the sounds that Ralph makes, the Kindergarteners enjoyed that as well as talking about the illustrations and predicting what Ralph might do.
Karen
Oct 26, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lois Ehlert's books aren't really about the story -- they are about those fantastic, amazing, eye-popping, dimensional illustrations. They usually have a bit of a story, like this one, but this is the first one I've encountered that is so pun/silly joke-laden. I love it!
Michelle
Ehlert's creative collages are just one element that make this book a must-have for your library. It's also good for teaching onomatopoeia (ralph can speak, and he uses all the different noises dogs make -roof, rough- bark...)
Great for ages 4-8 and dog lovers of all ages.
RachelAnne
Oct 09, 2014 RachelAnne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, animals
Lois Ehlert's engaging illustrations just keep getting more innovative and fun. Kids love the humor of the talking dog. "He's just barking!" one kindergartener interjected. "Nuh-uh! He said 'rough!'" Great for storytimes, and for toddlers through age 6.
Gps
I like how everything that RRRalph says makes its way into this charming book.
the usual fun illustrations from Lois Ehlert, and just a fun book to read aloud…

as a sucker for books featuring dogs, I will have to add this to my list of favorites.
Lisa Lathrop
A clever little book written and illustrated by collage artist Lois Ehlert. Did you know our dog can talk? clever ways to interpret "rrralph ralph", "roof roof" etc. will have early elementary students laughing.
Natalie
Read this out loud in my Storytime workshop and found it quite adorable. Didn't realize it was by the author of Chika Chika Boom Boom until I read the dust jacket at the end. Loved the illustrations, too.
Katya
This was a big hit in toddler time, although they didn't get all the jokes, it worked on a sound level and a more subtle level. Grown-ups liked the joke, kids liked the dog noises.
Angie Quantrell
May 19, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute doggy book that uses things dogs say (or at least what we perceive that they say) as conversation. Dog lovers will enjoy this book. Love the illustrations Lois Ehlert style.
Sherry
"RRRalph" Author Lois Ehlert was inspired by jokes that her brother, Dick Ehlert, told to his grandchildren. Young kids will love "RRRalph" because they're listening for plays on words ("How's the path feel under your feet, Ralph? Rough, Rough"). They'll also love it for the textural, photographed illustrations, a kind of craft art. This is the element that makes it a very special, interactive picture book, not just another joke book: handmade rag paper, buttons, zippers, pull-tops from soda can ...more
Katie
Oct 17, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing for toddler storytime. The kids really liked it, and the parents laughed, too, which is always a plus! It's also fun to read, and the illustrations are beautiful.
Lily
Feb 09, 2016 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is s cute story about a dog and his owner. The dog can talk and it tells us about a day in his life. It is a very cute children's book.
Kara Buck
Feb 21, 2016 Kara Buck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rrralph is a cute book about a boy who thinks his dog can talk. This book is very creative with great graphics for pictures. It will keep any child's attention. I chose it because it was very bright and colorful, which would make it interesting for any age group.
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lois Ehlert uses clever Qs & As to tell a simple tale about a dog named Ralph and illustrates with her eye-candy collages!
Lisa
Feb 09, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find the book to be amusing for many of my students. The illustrations make you want to touch the page as they are so creative and colorful. The dog seems to be able to talk and respond to questions. It is a great read aloud for my kiddos that seem to have a short attention span and my most reluctant readers pick this one up after it is introduced. At first I thought this book maybe a little 'young' for my second grade students, but the collage style illustrations really seem to grab their att ...more
Amanda
Ehlert's books' best features are always the artwork--her collages are epic! Cute book!
Rani
Of course a dog can talk! Especially if you are a master of story telling!
  • Dog in Boots
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Mine!