Start by marking “Groundswell” as Want to Read:
Groundswell

Groundswell

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  730 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
The author of The Comfort Table cookbook series makes her fiction debut with a compelling novel in the tradition of Gigi Levangie Grazer about a young woman recovering from divorce who finds healing—and love—through surfing.

A butterfly flaps its win gs in New Y ork City . . . and a groundswell forms in Mexico.

Sometimes the biggest ripples come from the smallest events.
Published May 29th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published June 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Groundswell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groundswell

Karen
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How in the world did this book get published? Because the author was married to Billy Joel?

Cliche story, vanilla characters, no surprise ending. I think it took me an hour to read it.

Waste of time, folks.
Lindsay
I hate to give first time authors a negative score, because at least they are attempting their dream and writing a book, which is more than I've done. But this one was kind of weak. I was on the USA Today website and found a article about how this book might be a reflection on the author's unsuccessful marriage (for those of you who don't know, she was married to Billy Joel, the singer), and she denied it, but come on, there has to be some truth to it.
Anyway, it's about a small town girl who fa
Tara
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is totally CUTE. Hollywood. Slightly Shallow. Chick Lit. Great love story. Yes. This is THE perfect beach read. What girl hasn't dreamed of meeting a huge Hollywood star and have him fall head over heels for you? Here's the basic plot: Movie star meets small-town girl, love and marriage! HURRAY! Throw in a jealous best friend and a cheating husband Ummm, not so hurray....Add in a quiet beach resort and a super hot, amazing surf instructor...back to HURRAY!

Often in Chick Lit, the main c
Cheryl
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emma Guthrie went from being a nobody to the wife of famous actor, Garrett Walker. Emma was just an personal assistant helping on a film set. Garrett is the leading actor in the movie. It seemed that Garrett took a liking to Emma right away. Though, Emma did not accept Garrett’s invitations for a while. It was not long after Garrett and Emma starting dating that things got really serious fast. Before Emma knew it, she was Mrs. Garrett Walker. Now Emma has to contend with the paparazzi. After sev ...more
Marisa
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy beach read -- rather formulaic but not eye-gougingly corny ... except for maybe the paragraph where Garrett and Emma each bring their three favorite movies to watch without telling each other their selections ... and they both bring 'Breakfast at Tiffanys' -- blech! Left this one at our rental for someone else to 'enjoy' on vacation.

By the way, author Katie Lee is formerly Katie Lee Joel, married to songster Billy Joel -- from what I know of their relationship (People & Us Weekly), t
Cathy Schaefer
As others have said it is a great summer beach book. No it isn't a deep in-depth novel. But I wasn't looking for that. I like books just for the fun of it sometimes so as not to think. Perfect light Hallmark movie type. If you are serious reader and want a book with depth don't read this but if want a beach book for fun highly recommend to drift off to fairytale land!
Mary
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
In the scientific world the theory is known as the "Butterfly Effect". In the real world, it simply means that sometimes the biggest ripples in a person's life are caused by the smallest events. For Emma Guthrie - a novice PA who's just dropped out of college after losing her scholarship - that was the way everything began. One day she walks into the trailer of the world-famous movie star Garrett Walker; when she walks out the door, she's fast on her way to becoming Mrs. Emma Walker - the wife o ...more
Chrissy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Last week, I decided to take a break from the "NEW RELEASES IN YA" shelf at the library, and instead gravitated towards the "NEW RELEASES IN ADULT FICTION" section instead. I randomly found a novel with a beautiful blue cover and briefly read the back, vaguely notating that it was something about a woman whose husband has an affair. Quite experienced myself with cheating men, I decided to give it a try, despite the fact that I'd never heard of either the author or the title.

Starting with plot, E
Shonda
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Emma Guthrie is a Kentuckian turned New Yorker when the reader is first introduced to her in Lee's debut novel. She's struggling to make ends meet after she has to give up her college scholarship. Not wanting to return home and face her sister's "I told you so", Emma hangs in there hoping one day things will get easier.

And then they do. She's offered a position as a PA for a Garrett Walker movie. Things begin to move at a rapid pace when Emma first meets Garrett. A quick meeting in his trailer l
ZaBeth  Marsh
I found Groundswell while watching an episode of Giada De Laurentiis’ show on the Food Network. Giada was cooking for her book club and the author Katie Lee was invited to attend. As I have always been in love with the ocean, I was immediately intrigue by the definition of a groundswell which appears in the front of the book:
GROUNDSWELL (noun): A perfectly even and balanced series of waves, or swells, caused by a distant storm or disturbance. Also known as ideal surfing conditions.
Emma Guthrie s
  • Still Talking
  • Random Hearts
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • The Road Taken
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Just Desserts: The Unauthorized Biography of Martha Stewart
  • A Rose for Virtue
Katie Lee is the food and lifestyle contributor for The Early Show and has appeared on Oprah, CBS Sunday Morning, The Rachael Ray Show, The Nate Berkus Show, and Iron Chef America. She writes a regular column for Cosmopolitan and has been featured in publications such as People, Vanity Fair, Food and Wine, Town & Country, and InStyle. She is the author of the cookbooks The Comfort Table and Th ...more
More about Katie Lee...