Start by marking “Run Wild” as Want to Read:
Run Wild

Run Wild

Boff Whalley just likes running - the places it takes him, the moments of exhilaration and snapshots of natural beauty that he adds to his mental album. This is not a man who signs up to big city marathons and pounds the pavements. With his down to earth voice and a great sense of humour, Boff writes about how running brings a real world of discovery and adventure, from re ...more
Published July 5th 2012 by Simon Schuster UK (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Run Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Wild

Dale Brumbaugh
I totally enjoyed Boff Whalley's book. It was about so much more than running. Loving nature, enjoying your life, taking chances and living without fear.
This book was a mixed bag. Early on Boff Whalley asserts that he is no whiner, that he is a positive person rather than a Positive Thinker™ but I came away feeling that his brand of positivity is more about relishing going against what he perceives as the flow, about being a contrarian. I half felt that even as someone essentially on his side of the argument he'd wrong-foot me.

There is a lot in this book about his dislike of marathons and specifically the New York Marathon. Too much - and he has
Darrell
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When we were young we dreamt of adventure. Then as we got older we were taught that dreams for adventure are for the young, and we got scared by poverty, joblessness and the responsibilities of relationships and children. We grew up." Running wild gives us some of that back.
James Lee
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really enjoyable, interesting and inspiring book, part hymn to off-road running and part critique of corporate, tarmacked marathons. As a road cyclist and hiker, but only an occasional jogger, I hadn’t really considered the central premise of this book which is that fell running is all about the journey, the adventure, living in the moment, connecting with the planet, and having fun, whereas completing 26.2 coned and cordoned miles is really only about the destination and its completio ...more
David Weir
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, I made it all the way to to the end of this book which is an impressive feat. This author is the singer in Chumbawumba and it is about his hatred for the marathon and his love for trail running. Normally, I wouldn't have an issue reading something like this (even as a marathoner), but it took him to the last chapter in the book to mention anything positive about running a marathon. After spending 260 pages bashing the NYC marathon and those that were running on the streets, he mentions tha ...more
John Sprackland
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I expected this book to be guilty pleasure - I don't expect books about running to be well-written, life-enhancing or thought-provoking. But this book was all three(and a pleasure!)

That said, Boff Whalley was preaching to the converted with me - I'm a committed wild runner, a strong believer in the virtue of getting out into nature, however you want to do that, and I even like Chumbawamba. Nevertheless, this is a excellent book - wide-ranging without being too diffuse, written with passion and h
Helen
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 52books2017
I loved the writing about how he felt when running- and I was definitely jealous of the time that he has to run and the opportunities that he's had to run in some really spectacular places. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the wild places, especially Yosemite, and was definitely itching to get my trainers on by the end and get muddy on the trails near my house! I understood some of his hostility to the corporate marathons, but I did feel that he should have done more to find out why people c ...more
Ian Appleby
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really enthralling read about the author's love of fell-running, and visceral dislike of city marathons. Some strikingly beautiful passages - his evocation of a "group photo" on a mountain peak brought tears to my eyes. Never less than thoroughly engaging. It's got me turning my eyes away from the canal towpath and up to the valley sides...
Chris Turnbull
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The first half was inspiring and you just want to be out there with him. The latter part was a little repetitive with the theme of no Tarmac, go wild, but enjoyable overall. To be able to run like Boff you have to start with shorter distances though!
Mike Morton
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got me off the road and onto the local trails
Repa
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! He completely changed my perspective on running and I am glad, it has helped make my running less confined and more free!
Heather Kendall
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was inspirational to me personally. I had got in a rut with my running and after reading this I was out there running again and better than ever. Not everyone will agree with him but I certainly do and have been telling everyone ever since.
Helen
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is, like wild running, a bit rambling but the juxtaposition of sections about the New York Marathon with his own running experiences give it a good structure. Plenty here to think about as I run through rain and mud tomorrow morning I think.
Steve
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
A free-ranging manifesto for 'wild' running, written in Whalley's characteristic quirky style. Felt there was too much of the marathon-bashing really. Would have like more on the joys of fell and off-road running really.
James Barron
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked it up thinking there'd be a lot more psychogeographing, but this amounted to about a page.
David
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the best books on running I've read. Well written and thought provoking. Up there with Feet in the Clouds.
Bec
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm already a fully converted wild runner but this is still awesome inspiring stuff
Dev
Sep 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didn't enjoy it.
If you are trail runner, you may find the book of interest.
Found the author a bit too self absorbed.
Paul
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book on why running is not only about running marathons - or maybe while real running isn't about racing at all.
Trent Swanson
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This guy just loves torun forget all the whistles and bells
John Edmiston
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gets me wishing I could run around the hills of Scotland - the author's impassioned writing was fun. Chumbawumba.
Darren
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
City marathons are capitalism, wild running is anarchism. That's the summary, and I can't say I disagree, but boy does he go on about the evils of city marathons!
Johnpingham