Start by marking “City Under the Moon” as Want to Read:
City Under the Moon

City Under the Moon

"Bioweapon catastrophes, government conspiracies, military sieges, historical revelations, psychological warfare and werewolves. You want more thrill from a thriller?" – Seth Green

On New Year's Eve in Manhattan, a werewolf attack sparks an epidemic. Each night the victims multiply. The disease spreads. An army grows.

As authorities scramb
Published March 1st 2012 by Ben & Derek Ink Inc. (first published February 27th 2012)

Start your review of City Under the Moon
Rebecca McNutt
There were many things I really enjoyed about City Under the Moon, especially the Manhattan setting and the ambition of the general plot. Sterbekov has a lot of imagination in his writing and for the most part effectively brings this strange American Horror Story-esque world to life with an urban scene giving it a great unique edge. Although rather far-fetched in terms of the story's events, it's really the characters and the creatures who bring things to life.

I found the story sort of jumpy and dis
Char
This book was a blast!
To be honest I wasn't expecting that much, because let's face it,a lot of werewolf stories are cheesy. This one wasn't.
It had a unique plot that was mostly plausible, but what really pulled me in were the excellent characters, the fast pace and the humor. I came to care a lot about the characters, one of which was a sociopath, so that's saying a lot. The humor was honest and laugh out loud funny at times. I read in the author's bio that he writes for Robot Chicken.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★City Under the Moon by Hugh Sterbakov

I was given this R2R in exchange for my honest review.

My honest opinion is this book is like a kid with A.D.H.D. on a sugar high. Take the candy away, and sit your ass down for a minute. This book jumps topic to topic more than I do, if you can believe that.

Ok, so first things first, I read this book out of pure curiosity, after reading some crazy reviews, and we all know they must be true, I got it off the internet. Well, I wanted to see wha
megHan
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to start out by saying that I am a huge fan of anything Werewolf or Vampire, as long as it's done the RIGHT way. This was most definitely done the RIGHT way.

This book was exciting, heart pounding, well researched and very unique.

The following may give a little bit of the story away, but not so much that you have the ending ruined or anything terrible like that. If you want to read further, please feel free. If you want to wait until after you've read the book to see my opinio
George Wilhite
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit I have grown somewhat weary of vampires, werewolves and zombies. They are just too many novels, movies and TV shows about these creatures, same as I am a bit tired of doctors, cops and lawyers when it comes to TV.

This said, I believe The Walking Dead is the best show on TV right now, and I love Dracula and the first three Anne Rice vampire books and the original version of The Wolfman. So, while I still think there’s a glut on these creatures I am open-minded.

Joanne Moyer
I don't even know where to begin in reviewing this thrill a minute ride so I'll borrow a quote from the author's Robot Chicken co~writer Seth Green ~~ "bioweapon catastropies, government conspiracies, military sieges, historical revelations, psychological warfare and werewolves. You want more from a thriler?"
The only thing he left out is the laugh out loud humor and the great characters.
A werewolf epidemic breaks out in New York City on New Year's Eve and it won't be long until every
Robin Taylor
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The rabid love child of Stephen King and Michael Crichton

A riveting mash up of modem science and ancient legend, CUTM explores the age old question: what would werewolves invading New York look like? Leaping from location to location author Hugh Sterbakov brings a tautly well realized narrative to life through the eyes of FBI special agent Brianna Tildascow. Driven to right past wrongs Tildascow functions as a new breed of modified human, unleashing talents and abilities that will b
Cathy
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
23% in. Characters are one dimensional and uninspired. Did the author have an original thought throughout this book?
49% in. I'm not a feminist but it's painfully clear this author has issues with women. His writes them as either simpering fools, or sex crazed maniacs. Not that his male characters are much more than bad tropes. The unoriginal content continues. For example his current president is obviously Obama with football instead of a basketball, and he refers to the last president as that
Helalost
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Helalost by: Ben Thomson
Shelves: recommended
Enjoying this so far. I'm getting a real "feels like a movie" vibe here, which isn't surprising considering the author's background. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find this has already been picked up by a studio.

After several books & video games with disappointing endings, I find I'm somewhat bracing myself for disappointment, but judging by reviews, I'm mildly hopeful. I certainly need something to break the cycle of bad endings!

Update: Thanks to a bad night's
Valerie
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-crime
Werewolves invading NYC.. NYPD just wet themselves! A truly terrific read. Many characters and each had such a diverse personality from the others. Completely drawn into them.

Brianna Tildascow Ms. FBI.. soon to be the next "Bionic Woman" if she has anything to say about it, is on the hunt for the ONE that holds the blood line of the werewolves. With the help of a young man Lon Toller, a nerdy wiz at computers games and ultimate blogger. Yes the blogger of werevolves ends up being her
Aubrey
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the overall concept and the basics of the story. A good twist away from the typical werewolf lore. It was definitely action packed and quite detailed.

However, that is where it tended to lose me - sooo much detail. Descriptions of government positions and titles, military jargon, scientific explanations and plenty of gory blood and guts and dismembered limbs. I loved that a scientific theory on werewolfism was provided and well thought out, I just zoned out a few sentences into each expl
Ann Marigo
Josh
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
I enjoyed the beginning, a vaguely scientific take on werewolves seemed promising, but as the story progressed it lost me. I think the completely unnecessary stop at Castle Dracula is where the story began to turn. And there were more than a few parts that made me think the author didn't have a woman read the story over before it got published.
Robert Taylor
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"City Under the Moon" combines aspects of probably a dozen different genres, from action to horror to political thriller...and in doing so manages to trascend those them and become a fantastic, fascinating ride unlike anything you'll find on bookshelves today. It's always smarter than it needs to be, with characters who are brilliant twists on the expected cliches of the thriller genre...and that's before thousands of werewolves take over New York City.

Everyone knows the werewolf leg
ThrillersRockT
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assisted by a horror blogger and a squad of elite commandos, Tildascow must hunt Valenkov across the globe and uncover the sinister secret of the curse threatening mankind. Tens of thousands are infected. Time is running out.

I really never imagined I'd be writing this in a review: It's the werewolf apocalypse! This story is a very unique thriller that returns the werewolf firmly to the role of monster. For me, this was a welcome change from the recent trend in popular fiction where the werewolf
Anne (Angel Anne Reviews) Nelson

Firstly I’d like to thank Author Hugh Sterbakov for the thrilling opportunity to read this amazing novel of his that I won as a firsts reads. (-: To read for my enjoyment and give my fair and unbiased review if I so choose to do. And I do wish to give a review on this novel.

Manhattan has been attacked by a werewolf pack, sparking an massive epidemic. Nightmarishly each night the victims multiply. The disease spreads…. An army grows.

As authorities scramble to contain the m
E. Bard
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very unique thriller that returns the werewolf firmly to the role of monster. For me, this was a welcome change from the recent trend in popular fiction where the werewolf is cast as more of a tortured romantic hero, doomed or otherwise. I also enjoyed the shake up from the hordes of undead leading us to our peril thing - although humanity meeting its end at the shredding hands (claws) of a hairy wolf-like human might not be much of a step up.

For many thriller fans, this wi
Lyanna
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this as part of Goodread's "First Reads" program.

I loved this book. "Loved" meaning "Please tell me there is a sequel...please?". This book was a thriller roller-coaster ride with medical and military jargon spiced with Geek-speak. The characters were interesting, decently realistic and easily sympathized with throughout the book. I would recommend this to those that love thrillers (even if there is no love for the occult), werewolf fanatics, and anyone else that is not af
Jen Johnson
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a big fan of Freshmen, the comic that Seth Green created with Hugh Sterbakov. I picked it up because I'm a rabid Buffy fan and I love to support the cast in their other ventures. I really came to love it because the characters were so honest and sweet and struggling with their self-examination. I would've loved reading about them even if they didn't have super powers. I bought Freshmen II and the summer special, but they haven't come out with any more issues since then.

I found
GCB-LovesGoodBooks
4.25

This book was action packed and a fun read. The werewolves were not the paranormal romance types and very deadly. It reads like a TV series or a movie which was fine. I felt it was The Strain
for werewolves. There were many pop culture references that were amusing to me, but I generally find them distracting while reading. But it seemed to fit this book. The first two thirds were the best and the last third, while not boring, seemed to drag for me. It was fun and the character of 'Lo
Walt Hook
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of horror, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, F. Paul Wilson, Richard Laymon
I just got a Kindle and picked up the sample of this book on a lark. As soon as I got to the end, I had to buy the full version. It's fantastic!

The characters were all so different and cool--an FBI terrorist assassin, a geeky werewolf expert, CDC scientists, everyone in the White House--and the bad guy is one of the most bad-ass villains in any book I've ever read. The plot twisted and turned so fast that I couldn't stop reading because I always had to know what came next. The New Ye
Jim Kratzok
I acquired this book as part of the collection called Lunar Curse Box Set.

Because the version of this book that I read came in a compilation, I'm not sure if it was the whole book or just a portion of it. That's why I gave it 4 stars. It was really a 5 star story but it ended so abruptly that I felt cheated. The story was going along gangbusters and then stopped. Sort of like a sneeze that doesn't quite happen.

I will be exploring this issue further and if I have to buy the whole
Nicole Trainor
Jan 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first two chapters started out decently, aside from referring to the protagonist by her odd last name (Tildascow seriously made me giggle every time I read it). It's well written and she seemed interesting. However, the carnage that occurred in the third chapter just totally turned me off. Maybe it's the pregnancy, maybe it's that I wasn't in the mood for a horror/slasher. Maybe I'll go back one day - but this wasn't my cup of tea. Still, if you don't mind descriptions of bloody torsos, you' ...more
Veronica
The writing was better the story/plot.

It was interesting to see a book written in 3rd person limited/objective POV that still switched from character to character. I personally have never read a book with such a full "cast" that did that. Sterbakov does this really well, with separate "voices" for each character despite it all being 3rd person.

The ending is a little predictable, yet at the same time confusing. I'm not entirely pleased with it. It ties up really neatly, which makes me feel like
Sumayyah
Werewolves are on the loose in New York city.

Hugh Sterbakov creates a world in which werewolves have been returned to the predators of lore (instead of the cuddly, misunderstood puppies of modern-day paranormal romances), and are attacking parts of New York, lead by one person who wants the CDC and government to "find a cure." The reader follows the adventures of Special Agent Tildascow and teenage lyncathrope expert Lon Toller as they race to "find a cure" as they have been directed
Mike
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I was a bit nervous before starting as I knew the author only from Robot Chicken. But let me just say I am very, very impressed. The story moved along at a breathtaking pace. I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters were well crafted and the amount of detail and research that went into this story is amazing. I truly felt like I was on a rollercoaster ride. Bravo Hugh!
Brendan Creecy
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
This book really surprised me. It had been sitting in my Kindle library for quite some time, not sure where or when I picked it up. I was familiar with Hugh Sterbakov from his work on Freshman, which I really enjoyed. Sterbakov did an amazing job of researching this book as he made the science behind Werewolves seem very real and plausible. Once it gets going it really gets going and does not stop. I really hope there's more of these somewhere down the line.
Patrick
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. The author obviously did a lot of research in several areas. The heavily-used descriptions sometimes distracted me from the story and I would have to go back and re-read paragraphs to get my focus back. But it was a very entertaining story and one that kept me guessing about how it would end until the end.
Shoulanda August
Wow

I was blown away by this book. It was full of surprises, twists, and turns. It had so much going on that it took me a few days to read. Vivid details and descriptions which made the story so much more believable. Find a cure to a curse that has been going on since the beginning of time itself. I would love a part two of this book!! Excellent job author Hugh Sterbakov!!!
A great book for a great price - free 1 9 Aug 17, 2012 10:38AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine 4 28 Apr 02, 2012 11:16AM

• Burden Kansas
  • House of Shadows (The Breed Wars, #1)
  • The Memory Tree
  • The Walls of the Castle
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • High Moor
  • Waiting For Willa
  • Blood Riders
  • Offline
  • VampCon
  • I Travel by Night
  • Lilith
  • Bad Blood (Tomes of The Dead #1.5)
  • Season of the Wolf
  • Night of the Wendigo
  • The Hanover Block
  • Cinema of Shadows (Harmony, Indiana, #2)
  • Vengeance of the Werewolf