Start by marking “Dead Ends (Main Street Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Ends (Main Street Mystery #2)

Dead Ends

(Main Street Mystery #2)

The second title in the ‘Main Street’ series – a blast from the past has deadly consequences for the small town of Sutherton . . . - Fall arrives early in the High Country of North Carolina, but journalist AnnaLise Griggs is more concerned about one particular trio of visitors: Benjamin Rosewood, his wife Tanja, and their daughter, Suzanne, especially as AnnaLise and Ben h ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dead Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Ends

LORI CASWELL
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
What should have been a simple trip home for journalist AnnaLise Griggs has turned into a nightmare. It is time for college to start and who shows up in Sutherton, North Carolina to start class, Suzanne Rosewood with her parents in tow. Her mother, Tanja and her father, Benjamin, the district attorney of Urban County, Wisconsin. AnnaLise and Ben have a bit of a past. A past she would love to forget. Now it has followed her home.

AnnaLise has errands to run and the Rosewoods all have plans so the
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This novel finds our friend, AnnaLise Griggs staying with her mother, Daisy as scary medical tests loom before Daisy. To AnnaLise's mortification, while sitting in Mama's Cafe, her former lover, District Attorney Benjamin Rosewood enters with wife and daughter. While worrying about her affair being disclosed to her family and friends tragedy strikes...

Suffering a near death on a curve of the mountain, Daisy and AnnaLise hold on to their lives as their car hangs precariously close to the drop off
Nicole
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was terrible. Stephen King says that good writing is real life with the boring parts left out. Apparently this book is not good writing. There were so many boring descriptions of her driving down main street, pulling in to a parking space, throwing key her bag, walking up the steps... blah. blah. blah.

I didn't get much of a feel for the characters beyond what was on the back of the book jacket and there was an overall lack of tension.

Why a 2 star review instead of 1? I read the whole b
Lisa
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
The main character goes back home to care for her mother. Her former lover and his family arrive in town a short time later. Suddenly people start dying....his wife's tire is shot out and she goes over a mountain, his daughter is shot and all the evidence points to AnnaLise, the main character. Even her long time friend and police chief starts to wonder if she did it. An okay story.
Kelly
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Obtained: Through Goodreads First Reads

I hate it when I start a series and enter it mid-way; whether it is the second book in the series or the fourth book in the series. When I won Dead Ends from a goodreads giveaway and learned that it was the second book in the series, I felt a bit iffy about it. Then when I also first started reading Dead Ends, I automatically knew that the book was not for me.

To start with, the first few chapters were dull, long, and boring since I didn't know any of the
Sallee
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the Main Street mystery series and I found it a quick read. AnneLise, a reporter who lives in Wisconsin is home in Suterton, NC on leave to help her mother who is having memory lapses. The arrival of her former paramour DA Benjamin Rosewood, his wife and daughter take her by surprise. Evidently Ben's daughter is a student at UMO, University of the Mountain. AnneLise, having ended the affair thinks he is trying to get her back. Having realized her mistake of having an affai ...more
Mandy
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Stacy
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Dead Ends is the second installment in Sandra Balzo's Main Street Murders series. While I am a big fan of her Maggy Thorsen series, this one just isn't quite as good though it is hard to pinpoint why. Maybe it's more of relating to the other character just a bit more. AnnaLise is shocked to see her former lover show up in her town with his wife and daughter. Not surprisingly, the wife is killed in a tragic car accident. Once it becomes obvious that it was murder, AnnaLise starts trying to figure ...more
Lucretia
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really love a good mystery and Dead Ends was just that. There was a nice slow build to find out what the mystery was, which gave you time to get to know the players and then there was an explosion of possibilities- fantastic. I must admit until the reveal I was wrong about who the murderer was, I won’t say who I had it pegged on but it wasn’t correct. I really loved the realistic and comfortable setting as well as the well crafted characters. It was very easy to bond with AnnaLisa and her fami ...more
Susan
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Journalist AnnaLise is still waiting to learn of mother Daisy has early-onset Alzheimer's when her former lover, district attorney back in Wisconsin, shows up--with his wife and daughter. When a death follows, AnnaLise becomes a suspect, although the police chief is her best friend from high school. She's sure that she knows who the real killer is, but she has no proof. As more secrets are exposed, she and Daisy end up in danger.
Shirley Cochran
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good characters and plot. Fun small town to which the main character returns for family reasons after living in the big city. Ends up in the middle of the deaths of family members of her former lover who she never expected to see in her hometown. Various suspects including the main character for a time although it gets resolved by the end.
Maryann
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to win this book from a Goodreads giveaway. I like a mystery and this was a good one. A quick read featuring characters that were easy to like. It had a down home feel based on it's location that added to the book.
Valerie Mcbee
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Another light summer read. This is one where you feel like you know the people and the place. What I call "quaint, quirky little town I'd like to live in" stories. I'll read more of these.
Mary
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
When I started this book, I didn't like it that much. But by the end was quite wrapped up with the characters. Now I just may have to read the first one!
Anna
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Anna by: gift
this was just BAD!

this was a gift from a friend -- I always wonder where she picks up these books ....
Jessica Johnson
Feb 04, 2013
Lisa Oswald
Feb 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • How to Dine on Killer Wine (Party Planning, #5)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • How to Tail a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #4)
  • The Scarlet Pepper (A White House Gardener Mystery, #2)
  • Treacherous Toys (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #5)
  • Plan Bee (Queen Bee Mystery, #3)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Hooks a Mermaid (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #2)
  • Town in a Wild Moose Chase (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #3)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Protected (Watched, # 2)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Sweat
Sandra Balzo is an award-winning author of crime fiction, including fourteen books in two mystery series--one set outside Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the other in the High Country of North Carolina. MURDER a la Mocha, the eleventh Maggy Thorsen Wisconsin coffeehouse mystery, will be released in January, and the series has been optioned for development as a TV series/film.

Balzo's books have garnered

Main Street Mystery (3 books)
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Hit and Run: A Cozy Mystery Set in the Mountains of North Carolina