Start by marking “A Wedding in Great Neck” as Want to Read:
A Wedding in Great Neck

A Wedding in Great Neck

The Silverstein family is coming together in Great Neck, Long Island, for the nuptials of the youngest daughter. Always considered the favorite—and the object of much envy and resentment—Angelica has planned a fairy tale wedding to her fiancé, a former fighter pilot. But there are storm clouds on the horizon.

Gretchen, Angelica’s sister, is dealing with a failed marriage
Published October 2nd 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about A Wedding in Great Neck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wedding in Great Neck

Start your review of A Wedding in Great Neck
Nicole Snyder
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like it more and started to. I hated the end.
Dione Sage
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a charmingly wonderful book about the struggles and quirks of one family during the course of one weekend. The family in this story, the Silversteins are a variety of personalities and emotions. There is Angelica, who is the youngest of the Silverstein siblings and the reason for the whole family gathering. Angelica is getting married and the entire family is attending her wedding at her mother and step father's home in Great Neck. In attendance is her mother Betsy (a little erratic), ...more
Margaret
Dec 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Having read other author's comments about this book, I really expected a laugh-out-loud funny book. I may have smiled a couple of times, but the book just didn't live up to my expectations.
Angelica is the favored daughter and the book centers around that one day with Angelica's siblings, mother, grandmother, step-father, father, and nieces moving in and out of the day with all the drama you could possibly imagine. Troubled teens, estranged spouses, disappointed lovers...the list goes on. No one
Michelle
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I won this as a FR giveaway and I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed this novel. The story is told from the point of view of numerous family members, so it is a bit busy, and there is a lot going on in the novel, but that just makes it a book that never gets boring. Each character has a lot of depth, and they are all so different, so it was fascinating to read about them and the dynamics of a dysfunctional Jewish family. I'm not Jewish, but you don't need to be Jewish to enjoy this novel. A ...more
Amber Jones
Mar 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Let me beak this down for you. Angelica is a spoiled rotten chit of a girl who has a sister, Gretchen. Gretchen is very whiney and doesn't deal with her teenage daughter Justine. Justine really needs her ass kicked for being such a brat. I liked Betsy and Lenore, the rest of the characters were annoying.

Really disliked this book. I was amazed that they pulled it all together enough to even have a wedding. And why did the book end that way? She was my favorite character.
Nina Gordon
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and I admit that was partly because I grew up in Great Neck and live there now. But it was an enjoyable story, albeit with a somewhat disappointing ending. No spoilers here... just wish it had ended differently.
Lori
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun book to read! Feeling like I was a guest at this wedding, I got to know all the members of this family in this slice of life story.
Aniko Nagyne vig
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great beach read, an interesting family story and dynamics.
CC
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
really tried to like this... jumped around characters very quickly... would have probably rated higher, but ending was horrible...
Maryann Sulic
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this years ago and recalled it was good. When I saw it while browsing on-line, I decided to add it to my "Read" list.
Patty
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A Wedding In Great Neck
Yona Zeldis McDonough

My " in a nutshell" summary...

A family wedding, lots of dysfunction and a surprise ending.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Interesting study of a family filled with quirky characters coming together on the day of the youngest daughter's wedding. The author threw in almost every dysfunction out there. Recovering alcoholism, teen drug issues, homosexuality, jealousy, divorce, infidelity, babies born out of wedlock, tooth aches, dog issues, bra
Wendell Henry
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wedding in Great Neck offers the pleasure of reading about a happy family. By that I don’t mean there aren’t plenty of conflicts, and secret agendas, and trouble for McDonough’s characters to create, and get into. But there is the Shakespearean notion that “All’s Well That Ends Well,” as McDonough, holds her invented world in her lovingly cupped hands. This family feels real, as they act out problems that typical families experience, rather than the dark dysfunction and abuse that is the focus ...more
Chelsey Wolford
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
We are introduced to the highly dysfunctional Silverstein family in Yona’s new book. We meet for the wedding of the baby sister, Angelica, and we are introduced to the entire family, which have come together for the event. Each chapter belongs to a member of the family who speaks about their experiences at the wedding and what is going on in their life at the current moment. Some readers are not fond of this method, but for the purpose of this book, it works great!

Yona creates such deep and
kim
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked this book up because the cover is so pretty! really didn’t expect much more that a quick read and a fun romance. Well....at least it was a quick read!

First, I’m going to start with the end and say I HATED IT! Up until the last two pages, I really enjoyed the book. I’m not going to spoil the ending by telling you what happened, but I really wish the author would have just ended the story two pages earlier. Then end served no purpose and felt like it was there because the author was
Maria Mitchell
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for a fair review.

A Wedding in Great Neck by author Yona Zeldis McDonough was true to any crazy wedding day story with big families. There was the old beloved family matriarch. The frantic both idolized and hated bride. The mysterious groom. The couple working through the husband's infidelity. The teenage twins going through a faze of rebelliousness. The ex-husband working through his issues of his ex-wife married again very up
Kristina
I have to say this was not page turner for me. It was hard at times to get into it. It’s about a family having a wedding but everyone’s life is a dramatic mess. So the fact that everyone is a train wreck is interesting to read, but other than that the pace is slow. Gretchen becomes the sole point of this story but Lenore, the grandmother, has secrets that come out in the end. I read it but I won’t read it again.
Julie Barrett
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Wedding in Great Neck by Yona Zeldis McDonough
The Silverstein family is getting together for the youngest child wedding on Long Island, NY.
Problem is there are family situations that might spoil it all...
Confusing at the beginning as there are many names and spouses names thrown out. Not sure if the book comes with a family tree as I'm listening to this on a tape.
Justine wants to cause havoc and thinks the groom will go with her and then others will see that he's not meant for Angelica.
I feel
Tiffany
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this book thru Goodreads First Reads...thank you to Goodreads, Penguin Books, and the author, Yona Zeldis McDonough!

Weddings are usually a crazy affair, bringing out the absolute worst in everyone - and "A Wedding in Great Neck" is no exception. Dysfunctional characters run amuck: including ex-husbands, almost ex-husbands, angry pierced-up teenagers, meddling grandmothers, cheating boyfriends, and one bladder-challenged yapper. I enjoyed the organized dysfunction of this large family,
Christine
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This story takes place in the course of a single day-the wedding day of Anjelica and Ohed. The whole family has come, including grandma, the exes, and so on. While reading it I felt as if I had just gotten off the Long Island Railroad and was meeting the family for the first time. And, as will happen at a wedding everyone is a bit larger than life (for better or for worse). I found myself doong what I would be doing in real life: trying to figure out what everyone's REAL deal is. Is she as ...more
Gregory Murphy
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A truly compelling read. "A Wedding in Great Neck" grabs you from the first page with characters that have a depth not often found in contemporary fiction -- from the newly-separated, older sister Gretchen, to her struggling father Lincoln, to the beautifully-realized, sympathetic grand dame Lenore. With a miniaturist's eye for detail, the author brings the "big day" at a palatial Long Island home to vivid, tumultuous life. "A Wedding in Great Neck" is vintage champagne poured with a sure and ...more
Gina
This is the first time I have read this author and I absolutely loved it! I couldn't put it down. The plot is basically about a family wedding and all the crazy antics that usually go along with them but the author writes each character with such depth and individuality that it was truly different that any other run of the mill chick-lit wedding day novel. I will certainly be looking for more of this author's works! 5 stars!
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A book with true characters within a crazy family that is on high alert because it is a wedding where emotions are at the extreme and I loved every minute of it. Some books have too much crazy within their characters, but this family of characters were spot on they made me shake my head and laugh on the same page. With four generations all under the same roof the drama was bound to happen and it does!
Alicia
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
The end- I hated it. Other than that I did enjoy most of the book- I'm a sucker for family dramas and this would delivered although I would have loved to hear Angelica or Teddy's story. They seemed to me the more interesting characters than Justine and Betsy. Betsy didn't feel that fleshed out as a character. I enjoyed this book until the last few chapters and then I started skimming through and then I got the end and was annoyed.
Anita Johnson
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four generations of the Silverstein family gather at a Long Island mansion for the wedding of beautiful, brilliant, successful, envied Angelica and her fiance, a former Israeli fighter pilot. The bride and groom-to-be actually have minor roles and the focus is on her grandmother, Lenore; her parents and stepfather; two brothers; and her sister, husband and twin 15-year-old daughters. It is amazing how much drama can be packed into one 24-hour-period. It was entertaining.

Sally Schloss
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of anything that Yona Zeldis McDonough writes. She always draws rich, psychologically nuanced characters, and A Wedding in Great Neck is no exception. In this book, she creates a world in one day--and it's far from what it appears to be. The icing on the wedding cake, as it were, reveals a rich, chewy center. Curl up on your sofa with a pot of tea and give yourself a large slice of this delicious book—I’ll bet you’ll eat the whole thing!
Karen Allen
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
A Wedding in Great Neck is an enjoyable read - the kind of quick read that's perfect for tucking in your bag for the ride in the car, the airplane trip, or your vacation at the beach. And if you've ever been a mother of the bride, as I myself was recently, you will probably find yourself thinking back to all the little problems and snafus that happened along the way with your own daughter's wedding.
Elena
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Eh. I decided not to abandon this book because I was intrigued by some of the characters. The author says at the end of the book that her characters drive the plot but I felt like there were too many characters and not enough plot. Then there were some story lines/characters I wanted to know more about but you never get the full story. I did love Lenore though.
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun light read about a complicated family on the youngest daughter's wedding day. This is genuinely amusing with intriguing characters
and the usual tricky interactions between ex-spouses, new spouses, old sibling rivalries, teenage angst, etc. a good beach read or in my case, fun to read while recuperating from surgery.
Linda
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Wasn't a bad book. Just moved a little slow for me in the beginning. Felt like I was reading a book about my own slightly dysfunctional family. By the end of the book was getting more fascinated with the characters. Enjoyed the middle and the ending--although not happily ever after--more real-life and characters with flaws and interest.
Laudys
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This book was far better than I thought it would be.

And while, at times, I wasn't very happy with the character's crazy shenanigans, hurtful words or lengthy musings, there was much in it that I enjoyed, like Gretchen's development and Angelica's unmasking.

If your family drives you up to wall, this may give you some pointers to survive a few encounters.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 29, 2015 06:04PM

• The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • Sisters, Strangers, and Starting Over
  • Right Beside You
  • The Best of Us (Sullivan's Crossing, #4)
  • Stop Being Mean to Yourself: A Story About Finding The True Meaning of Self-Love
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • Hidden Agenda: NASA and the Secret Space Program
  • Lies and Other Acts of Love
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
  • Snowbound at Christmas (Christmas, Colorado, #5)
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • By Invitation Only
  • Guide Me Home
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • The Invited
  • Dark James (Night of the Kings #2)
I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn and many of my novels take place here. But my new novel takes place in New Hampshire, and I have woven into it a historical component: the tragic story of Ruth Blay, who in 1768 was the last woman hanged in the state. When I read about Ruth, I was fascinated and horrified in equal measure, and I knew I had to write about her.
I was educated at Vassar College and