Start by marking “The First Prophet (Bishop Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
The First Prophet (Bishop Files, #1)

The First Prophet

(Bishop Files #1)

Within the FBI, there exists a team of psychics whose powers cannot be denied. But these agents are feared—by a cabal of conspirators with only one weapon: to blind the psychics to the evils all around them.

Months ago Sarah Gallagher woke from a coma with psychic abilities she couldn’t control. They changed her life and cost her the man she loved. And now, someone is playi
Published November 27th 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The First Prophet, please sign up.
Sheila It seems to be the start of a new trilogy which goes off in another new direction. I really enjoyed it and expected a new (2nd book) before now.
A…more
A Deadly Web was just released which appears to be the the 2nd entry.(less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
The First Prophet is the 1st book in Kay Hooper’s Bishop’s Files Series, which is linked to her FBI SCU Series.

This was an interesting story and I found the main protagonists likeable. The scenario of a sinister conspiracy that is targeting people with psychic powers is daunting and creepy and scary too.

I couldn’t make out what the book title referred to….who was the First Prophet?

I am looking forward to continue reading this series. Psychics and their powers and how they use them to solve cri
Christina
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
I hope this book makes more sense in the context of the yet-to-be-written rest of the series, because as a standalone, it made virtually no sense at all. I've read most of Kay Hooper's work and this is definitely not her best showing.

The suspense was good, as always. Ms. Hooper uses an interesting plot device for much of the book where three perspectives are shown - the main character, a "good guy" and a "bad guy". If you're familiar with her Bishop/SCU books, it becomes apparent pretty quickly
Issa
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I was very excited that a new Bishop series was starting. The last trilogy didn't thrill me but I hoped Kay Hooper would be building something better. First off, Bishop and his team do not appear in the book except for a letter in the beginning and a short part in the end. A huge disappointment but I soldiered on.

Sarah woke up from a coma with psychic abilities. She can sense people, feel things, and see the future. She has no control over either. Tucker is an author who has little fa
Rhonda
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

The First Prophet is book 1 of the Bishop Files.

I liked the story but it was confusing on who are the good guys and bad guys. Even with the first book read I am not totally sure of the answer.
I was expecting to see more of Bishop and gang in this book than we did see.
I liked the characters and thier journey they went through it should be interesting to see where the next two books reveal. Hopefully they will come out sooner than later.
This was my book of the month selection. Lots of drama
Karen
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it

Ok I adore Kay Hooper books. I'm addicted to the bishop series. This book was advertised as a bishop file. I truly liked both of the main characters- but I soon became annoyed with the shrouded mystery of who and why. I had a hard time keeping up with who was the bad guy, who was talking and a big basic wth is going on. I'm all about clues and leading the reader, but few of my questions were ever answered. This book may have been more enjoyable if I understood the who and the why.
As a devoted
Melissa
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Paranormal Mystery readers
I usually love Kay Hooper's novels. Once I start one it is hard to put it down and the story just sucks you in. Unfortunately, this is the 1st novel I have read by Kay Hooper that I thought was blah. I was expecting a fast paced suspense story that focused on Bishop, Miranda, the SCU, and Haven. "The First Prophet" completely focused on new characters and some of the people in Bishop's network (probably not in the SCU or Haven). I found the story was slow and there were too many characters intro ...more
Fran
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First Prophet: Kay Hooper

The Special Crimes Unit or Haven is unique to that of others. Psychics have different powers that they utilize to either predict or forecast events, some have precognitive or telepathic abilities while others can feel emotions or even heal. As you read this transcript submitted by Noah Bishop, Unit Chief of the Special Crimes Unit, FBI you will learn about a young woman whose life was taken and whose identity no longer exists but although she is gone her physical body is
Cheri
May 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF...too dry and slow for me
Candace Salima
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 18 and Up
Recommended to Candace by: Kay Hooper Email
The First Prophet is the first book in a new Bishop Files Novel trilogy. Kay Hooper's new offering is stunning in her ability to continually come up with fresh new stories in this fascinating series about a psychic department within the FBI. That being said, that psychic department rarely comes up in the book, although a couple of characters do show up off and on.

The First Prophet introduces us to Sarah Gallagher, a woman newly awakened to her psychic abilities.

The backliner reads:

Months ago Sar
AndreaH
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like Kay Hooper and her Haven and Bishop FBI novels. This is a related book in a new series, but Bishop and his unit, and Haven characters just pop in.
This book is suspenseful, and maybe scary, but a little to hard to follow. Too many storylines that don't actually tie together til the last pages.
Sarah Gallagher has an accident, and begins having psychic events. Five months later she is becoming more prescient, more telepathic and someone wants her dead.
Tucker Mackenzie is a bestselling author
Ashley Nemer
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall I liked it...I typically love her psychic thriller's. This one didn't make me sit down and drop everything to read like her regular Bishop novel ones do. That is why I gave it 4 stars. I liked the characters and I liked where it went. I liked where she took it with Miranda and Bishop in the end but I would liked to have seen more of them since I only wanted to read it for the Bishop factor.

The main characters in this book were okay. I didn't fall in love with them right away...it took m
Diana
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a good mystery: just the right amount of suspense and action to keep me on the edge of my seat.

However.

It was a mystery. Mystery. Do you remember when Hooper was starting out and her stories were paranormal romantic suspense to make it seem plausible?

I miss those early stories. Lately, it seems like she is going away from the romance spectrum and heading towards the conspiracy fiction. Not a bad genre but not one I enjoy and want to read. Throwing in a lone "romantic" scene 50 pages n
Riana Elizabeth
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
First book in Hooper's "Bishop Files" series. There could have been some really interesting characters, but too many were introduced (especially for a first book) too quickly without much to distinguish between them.
The relationship between the two main characters was not believable and the female protagonist, especially, was bland. The story would've been much more interesting if there would have been some emotional and physical development between the two, rather than have them just hang in t
Srfletcher
I'm generally a fan of Hooper for some light reading, and I may or may not (read: I do) fangirl over Noah Bishop appearances in the novels. That was my primary reason for reading this one, apparently. It was good, but my real interest lies in the FBI characters, who aren't in this one. I'm sure there's an interesting tie in upcoming but until then, I really got the feeling this was just a warm up. A nice warm up, but not as much fun as the other Hooper novels I've read.
Diane T.
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first in a new series for Kay Hooper. Ms Hooper is one of my favorite writers and I really enjoy her books. You'll can hear the "BUT", right? Her last few books have been "save the world" type deals. FOR ME (please note the previous two words) that gets old real quick. I much prefer smaller scale trouble. That said, this was still a good read. I have in no way given up on Ms Hooper. I am hoping that she is working toward something here and not changing her style completely.
Penny
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed Kay Hooper's books, but this book has me sitting on the fence so to speak. While I enjoyed some of it, I don't think there was a clear enough explanation of the shadows (bad guys) It will be interesting to see where the next book in this series leads, hopefully things become a bit clearer.
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
DNF at 50%

Maybe it's just me, but this book wasn't holding my attention...

description
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Not of the same caliber as the original Bishop series. I missed the camaraderie and full disclosure. We are kept in the dark far too long and still end up not really knowing what's going on.
Danielle Choffrey
Feb 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have literally read every single Kay Hooper book and have thought they were all pretty good. This one I would not classify in that category. It was horrible! There were many problems I had with this book.

Let's start with the storyline. I am all for a relationship being built and the story revolving around them, but for some reason I don't think the two main characters in this book meshed well.. at all! First off they met on like page 5 then were attached at the hip through the entire book. I
Keri
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.50 Stars. This isn't a Bishop book, but where a whole group of regular folks and those with paranormal talent are trying to keep an evil entity that seems to be spreading across the nation. Kidnapping and killing those with paranormal talents. Here is where I struggled with the premise. Bishop knows that these murder/kidnappings are going on and he knows some of the players involved, but yet he is just stepping back to observe? That doesn't ring true to me for Bishop's character. We are talkin ...more
Beverley Albright
Jan 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Never having read any of Ms. Hooper's books before I had no idea what to expect. If I had read any of her previous books and understood the dynamics of what is obviously a very involved plot line of various groups, then I may have enjoyed this book. But as it was, I did not enjoy it at all. The book was boring and melodramatic and extremely confusing. I had no idea who belonged to which group or even who the groups were. I understand that previous books not being read can make a difference. But ...more
Readsalot81
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars.

I used to love these types of books from Kay Hooper back when the books were more focused on the developing relationship and the paranormal aspects of their psychic abilities. They're now being written with more of the mystery angle with the paranormal aspect lightly teased throughout the book. Which is fine, if that's what you like.. I also liked the team aspect that was sprinkled throughout the books as the series progressed. The most recent offerings? They seem to lack that and the
Debbie "DJ"
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it

I found myself being drawn into this book right from the start. I love the paranormal, but usually don't read about it. Someone is after psychics and we don't know why. This book is a real page turner as I wondered who where the good guys, and who weren't. The ending was a little far-fetched, but I just couldn't help liking the first 3/4 of the book, so oh well. Just a fun and exciting read.
Mary
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This author was recommended by a friend, and I got her first book, I don't know what I was expecting, but was pleasantly surprised. Mystery, murder, and Psychics, what more could you want. Was frustrating, however when I realized this problem was not going to be solved in one book. But look forward to book number two.
Claudia
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I got this book at the airport based on the storyline... "The FBI is involved in a program to use psychics". I found this book to be repetitive and painfully slow. Although the end has a twist it falls flat. Evil vs Good, love interests, psychics of all ages being taken or killed... But WHY? First of a series. Maybe the secret comes out later.
Tanya C.
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I have a feeling I might like this book a bit more in the context of the (I assume) trilogy that is on the way. It does set up a fascinating new thread to go along with the Bishop series'. I look forward to the next one.
Renee
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This could ONLY be the first in a series. The main protagonists have some resolution but every other plot door is left ajar.
Diana Brown
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
A good read, but not great. I found the plot too unfocused; too many characters were unknown, maybe because its a first book of a new series. For me it wasnt a "have to finish" book.
Jan Ball
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conspiracy on a grand scale.

Great introduction to the battle between good and evil in the psychic abilities arena. Great characters but left me wanting to know them better, so I will be back for more. The
" Conspiracy Theory" that an organized effort to take, train, and control young psychics while eliminating older less controllable people with paranormal abilities begs the question, "Why?" No answer to that in this book. Guess we'll have to follow the series to find out.
Jovdb
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good chance to read the first in this series. I've read others in the series and found this "corner stone" an intriguing book.

Bishop doesn't come into the story until well into the plot. "The Others" are trying to get people with psychic ability before they mature into their abilities.

Sara Gallagher is a "made" psychic. After an accident a few mo the previously. She began to have visions. Unsure of what was going on, but needing to let people know as one vision related to s serial killer, she
Goodreads Librari...: Add to Bishop/SCU series 3 23 Feb 20, 2013 08:24PM
  • The Unseen (Krewe of Hunters, #5)
  • Stalked (Lucy Kincaid, #5)
  • Sleep No More (Eve Duncan, #15)
  • Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil, #2)
  • Cat Telling Tales (Joe Grey, #17)
  • Unnatural Acts (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2)
  • The Gifts (A Jacody Ives Mystery)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan

Bishop Files (3 books)
  • A Deadly Web (Bishop Files, #2)
  • Final Shadows (Bishop Files #3)
“What it requires is admitting the possible. Believing the evidence of your eyes and ears without trying to explain it all away. Accepting that you’ll never be able to cross every t and dot every i. And most of all, it requires a willingness to believe that science isn’t the ultimate authority. Just because something can’t be rationally explained on the basis of today’s science doesn’t mean it isn’t real.” 0 likes