Start by marking “Trust Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Trust Your Eyes

Trust Your Eyes

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  11,526 ratings  ·  1,483 reviews
Published September 4th 2012 by NAL (first published January 21st 2011)

·  11,526 ratings  ·  1,483 reviews

Start your review of Trust Your Eyes
Arah-Lynda
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-said
Stephen King says it best. My idea of a sweet ride is three days of rain, a fridge filled with snacks, and a new Linwood Barclay.

Right on. I picked this one up at the beginning of my last weekend. I just happened to be in my sweet spot………ready to select my next read.

King also said that it’s a tale Hitchcock would have loved and once again, he is spot on.

I have come to think of Barclay’s books as domestic thrillers. These things could happen to you or me. Today or tomorrow. This one is top notch
Tim
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A slow rather confusing start is not enough to derail this interesting thriller of twists. This was my first Barclay and not my last. 8 of 10 stars!
Delee
3.5

Anyone who has seen my book recommendation request list would know I am a big fan of novels that have the main character witnessing a crime/murder through a window. One of my favorite books from my early teens was "The Undertaker's Gone Bananas" by Paul Zindel, and as I got older, Cornell Woolrich's short story "It had to be Murder" (Rear Window) was added to my favorites list- Rear Window is also in my top ten movies list-Hitchcock one of my favorite directors...So when I saw reviews of TRUS
Glenn Sumi
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
It’s been a really hectic week, so I wanted to lose myself in an escapist (but well-written) thriller. This book – the first I've read by author Linwood Barclay, former Toronto Star columnist – more than did the trick. I literally couldn’t put Trust Your Eyes down. It’s the kind of book where if I found myself with an extra 10 minutes during the day, I’d crack it open.

Thomas Kilbride, who’s been diagnosed with schizophrenia, has always been obsessed with maps. Now an adult, he spends nearly all
Adrienne
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read; being one of the best murder thrillers I have ever read.
I agree with Stephen King - "the best Barclay so far". But clearly I go further than that.
CuteBadger
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ray Kilbride finds his life turned upside down when the accidental death of his father means having to move back home to look after his adult brother Thomas, who has schizophrenia. Thomas believes he is doing important work relating the safety of the USA, but while studying a mapping website he thinks he sees a murder in New York. Ray is despatched to investigate – is there anything to be found, or is it all in his brother’s head?

This is a really difficult book to review it would be really easy
Darcia Helle
The premise for this book fascinated me, and the opening pages sucked me right in. Barclay is, no doubt, a talented author and knows how to weave a good story. Unfortunately, this book didn't quite measure up to its promise.

The problems I had:

The pace is slow. The entire middle of the book drags, with information repeated and dwelled on so often that I had almost all of the plot figured out long before we got there.

Thomas, while an interesting character, struck me more as someone with high-fun
Kevin
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thomas Kilbride is a map-obsessed schizophrenic so affected that he rarely leaves the self-imposed bastion of his bedroom. But with a computer program called Whirl360.com, he travels the world while never stepping out the door. That is until he sees something in a street view of downtown New York City. Thomas's keen eyes have detected an image in a window...an image that looks like a woman being murdered.
Thomas's brother, Ray, takes care of him, cooking for him, dealing with the outside world on
Kathleen
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Barclay murder mystery weaves multiple plot-lines that takes a believability leap or two. But the story of a schizophrenic savant who discovers a picture of a woman being murdered through a computer program called Whirl 360.com and his brother who tries to verify the event holds the readers’ attention despite a slow start. Thomas and Ray slowly learn to respect one another, despite Thomas’ psychiatric issues. Enjoy!
Freda Malone
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another Promise Falls novel so riveting, you just can't put it down. The blurb says it all. Tons of twists and turns, red herrings, strong characters as well as villains with an explosive end that leaves you so stunned you can't think straight. I LOVE this author, I can't say it loud enough. Another favorite this year.
Bill
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The best Linwood Barclay novel I've read so far.

I had read three of his before, No Time for Goodbye (4 stars), Never Look Away (3 stars) and Too Close to Home (3 stars).

No Time for Goodbye was very good and I was excited to have a strong start with an author who was new to me. But the next two were a bit short off the mark: Too Close to Home got a little too long in the tooth and convoluted towards the end, and Never Look Away? I had some major issues with the last 50 pages that bugged me so muc
Jack Heath
5 Stars. Linwood Barclay is such a wonderful writer, so easy to read, yet he holds you in suspense to the end. Get ready for some real surprises. The story is mainly told through the eyes of Ray Kilbride, an editorial cartoonist, whose father has just died. He returns to his hometown of Promise Falls in upstate New York to deal with the funeral and finds his younger brother, Thomas, who is schizophrenic, excited about something. Thomas patrols the cities of the world on a computer app, "Whirl360 ...more
Diane S ☔
May 04, 2012 rated it liked it
There are parts of this story that I liked better than others. Loved the two brothers and the modern day take on Rear Window, this was a very clever device on the part of Barclay. Using a schizophrenic really added to this story and I enjoyed the map meanderings by this brother. I think in part the author added to many elements to this story, too many different plots, which made some of them not very believable to me. Do love this author and his writing style and look forward to his next book.
Robin
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While Linwood Barclay is popular in our library, he still deserves to be as best-selling as Harlan Coben (which is why I said Barclay is the Rodney Dangerfield of thriller writers). He sides more on the domestic side of weird goings on such as disappearances, conspiracies, and murders, and his characters are always likeable every day kind of guys. This will make you look at Google Earth in a different and chilling way.

This is due in September.
Lucy
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one!

Thomas is a brilliantly written character and very well developed

There are plenty of plot twists in this one....well worth the read!
Kirsten
Wow! Quite a page-turner!

This is basically an updated Rear Window, but without Grace Kelly. The book also reminded me of Daniel Palmer's thriller Delirious, except it was much better.

Like Delirious, you have two brothers, one mentally ill, and the other trying to deal with that.

The plot of witnessing a murder via a website similar to Google Earth was interesting. I've looked and seen pictures on Google Earth where you can see people and dogs in yards, so I can see how this would work.

The mental
✨Susan✨
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story of a man who is borderline schizophrenic/autistic who spends his days studying maps of the world similar to google earth where you get a birds eye view. One day he thinks he has witnessed a murder. When his brother try's to prove that it was not true the two of them are plunged into a high society conspiracy that may just get them killed. Lots of twists and turns and a good fast pace. I do recommend this to those that like light mysteries.
Beth
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm so glad to tell you that I finished reading TRUST YOUR EYES by Linwood Barclay. That is not a compliment. Here's why.

1. Have you ever read a book in which nothing happened until well after the 200th page? That's the first and biggest problem with this book. I could excuse other faults if Barclay had interested me right away.

2. Too many sentence fragments are throughout the book. Barclay likes the predicate. So he often eliminates the subject. This appears to be a deliberate technique, bu
Louise
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
TRUST YOUR EYES (LINWOOD BARCLAY)

Story Description:

Doubleday Canada|September 4, 2012|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-385-66957-3

Thomas Kilbride is a map-obsessed schizophrenic so affected that he rarely leaves the self-imposed bastion of his bedroom. But with a computer program called Whirl360.com, he travels the world while never so much as stepping out the door. He pores over and memorizes the streets of the world. He examines every address, as well as the people who are frozen in time on his com
Gram
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent thriller, but I struggled with it, especially the back-story about brothers Thomas and Ray and the death of their father. The usual twists and turns to be expected in a Linwood Barclay story were all there and there's an almighty sting in the tail. Not my favourite Linwood Barclay book and it should have been trimmed from the 500 plus page read, but after a sluggish start, the action really rattles along.
Val
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2018, crime
I loved this thriller about a schizophrenic savant, which is tied in to a Google Earth-type plot. I especially loved the difficult (but touching) relationship between Thomas and Ray, whose fraternal bond is repaired while solving the murder investigation, leading to a knock-your-socks-off ending!! I wouldn't call this book totally believable, but I really enjoyed reading it.
Anne
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Linwood Barclay is a hugely successful author. His back catalogue include his memoir Last Resort, a series of comic thrillers featuring the character Zach Walker and seven very popular stand-alone novels. The first of these stand-alones is No Time For Goodbye which was the single bestselling novel in the UK in 2008, and has been optioned for a movie.

Linwood Barclay's latest release Trust Your Eyes will be published in the UK by Orion on 27 September 2012.

Trust Your Eyes hooked me in from the fir
Charlotte
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first Linwood Barclay novel I’ve read and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. It’s not the usual sort of thing I read so I was somewhat reluctant to start it but it was much better than I expected. It’s not a literary novel and it doesn’t claim to be. It’s a good, no-nonsense thriller sort of novel.
Thomas Kilbride is in his thirties but he spends most of his time in his room using a street view website called Whirl360 to study and memorize cities around the world. He beli
Christa
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Trust Your Eyes was a compelling book with some twists and turns. The characters were very interesting, the storyline was fast paced and kept me thinking, and I really liked the way all of the different angles of the storyline came together. I thought this was a very clever book.

Ray Kilbride returns home to Promise Falls, New York after the death of his father to put affairs in order. He has some decisions to make about his younger brother Thomas, as he is schizophrenic, spends all day in his ro
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Read my mini review here...

Or below...

Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay was such an unexpected pleasure. Unexpected because I have a tendency of figuring out the mystery in mystery novels. It is rare when I can be fooled by the ending in a good mystery novel. I usually see the twists early on. That’s why books like Trust Your Eyes are such a rare treat. This book had me fooled over and over again. It was so unique in its storyline and the plot twists ha
E.
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit, it took me a while to sort out all the characters and their story lines, but once it happened this book really took off. The way the different situations began to intersect and relate to each other was hugely entertaining.
There were several times I was gasping and laughing simultaneously.
Great characters, interesting twists (and lots of them) and an ending that was surprising.
This one hit all my criteria for five stars. I'm off to another Linwood Barclay right away!
Barbara Kinsky
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linwood-barclay
If ever there was a best thriller of the year, this is it! With so much twists and turns as well as colorful characters, I just could not put this book down. Thomas is so delightfully funny! Well done, Mr Barclay. You have really created a masterpiece and I look forward to now reading your latest book!
Judy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting premise that leads to suspenseful reading. I had wanted my F2F book club to read this book, but not enough others did. So I read it on my own. I really like Linwood Barclay's writing. Every book he writes is unique and so far I haven't read a dud.
Marla
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Great suspenseful murder mystery. Lots of things happening. I listened to the book. It kept my attention even though I was at work. Well worth my time!
Luanne Ollivier
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Trust Your Eyes is the latest book from Canadian author Linwood Barclay. In tiny letters on the front cover it also says 'A Thriller.' This really should read A THRILLLER. Barclay is always good for a wild ride of a read, but this time he's outdone himself!

Thomas Kilbride loves maps. When a new computer program called Whirl360 is released he is in heaven. He can continue his 'work' - memorizing the streets of all the major cities in the world.

"You picked a spot anywhere on the globe and initia

• Blood in the Water
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
  • Money To Burn
  • Denken aan Bruce Kennedy
  • High Crimes
  • Tell Me a Lie (Dan Forrester #2)
  • The Kremlin Device (Geordie Sharp, #3)
  • Kill Me Twice (Morgan Vine, #2)
  • Then She Vanished (Roland Ford #4)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Possession
  • Êtes-vous mariée à un psychopathe?
  • Telling Tales
  • Trauma Farm: A Rebel History of Rural Life
  • Eyes Wide Open
  • The Tiger in the Tiger Pit
  • The White Robin (Fairacre, #14)
  • Fresh from the Country
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children – Chas