Start by marking “The Farm (The Farm, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Farm (The Farm, #1)

The Farm

(The Farm #1)

Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Fa ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Berkley Books (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Farm, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Well, well. Color me impressed. If you would have told me, three months ago, that someone could still offer an original take on vampires, I’d probably have laughed in your face. So far we’ve seen nightwalkers, daywalkers, vegetarian vampires, vampires with magical powers, sparkly vampires, bloodthirsty monsters, gorgeous vampires, hairless ugly vampires, and just about everything else you can possibly think of. But Ticks? Trust me, they’re new.

They’re not quite vampires, true, but genetically al
Mitch
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-just-no
I really liked The Farm... until I didn't. I guess this is another case of me getting the wrong impression from the description; that's happened a lot to me lately, but, most of the time, it's the teaser giving away too much. In this case, just the opposite, because the minute I got to what Carter's secret was, my enthusiasm for this book instantly went to zero. Let's just say it's not a good sign when your own characters are making fun of how stupid the plot twists are.

From the description, I'm
Kelly Hashway
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! This book grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. The story is told in multiple POV. Lily dominates the story, but Carter and Mel both have some chapters along the way. While I gravitated toward Lily and her protective nature, always worrying more about her sister, Mel, than anything else, I really loved the chapters told by Mel. She's autistic and boy does the girl have an interesting mind. She really adds depth to the story.

Lily is only concerned about Mel and her own
David
May 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who think they're being self-aware by mocking "Twilight"
This is the second book that's been recommended to me because it supposedly has something in common with my book that I should learn from, and it's the second book that's made me want to shoot myself if this is how I'm supposed to write.

Fortunately, it was an eminently skimmable book, and that's how I read it, by skimming large chunks at a time.

So, generic somber-hued-ethereal-girl YA cover. Vampire apocalypse. Ninth grade crush shows up to rescue her. Yeaaaaah. The one single bright spot (or at
Ferdy
Spoilers

For some reason or another I had really high expectations for this (I think it was the cover), sadly I wasn't impressed. The premise sounded interesting enough even though it was pretty similar to a bunch of other YA/dystopian/vampire type books.
In The Farm, vampires have taken over the world (is it weird that I want that to happen in the real world? IDK, it just seems like fun), anyway all the teenagers are rounded up into farms because their blood is extra sexy and oh so tasty. Two of
Tammie
2.5 stars. **There are some minor spoilers in this review.

The Farm started out great. It might have stayed that way if it would have just been what it sounded like it would be. In the beginning Lily and her autistic sister Mel are trying to escape a "farm" where their blood is being harvested to feed vicious vampire-like creatures called ticks. The Farm is a place where teens are taken until they are 18. There is a lot of mystery about what happens after everyone at the farm turns 18. They disa
Kira Simion
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things I liked:

•Mel's chapters. While I don't know how autistic people tend to act, the poetry of her pages lured me in and I quite enjoyed them.

•the plot was interesting, even if the plot twist was predictable. WAYYYY too many plot twist clues.

•the characters. I could see them all as different people and liked little pieces of each of them so that's nice.

What I didn't like:

•the insta-like. Not working for me.

•the plot twist was good, but as I said before, there were too many clues for one plot
Misty Baker
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The other day, while I was surrounded by hordes of rabid book fans, I was asked a question. A question that was rather elementary when it came right down to it, but still incredibly intriguing. One that (if I’m being honest) I’m surprised is being asked now; 3 years into my reviewing journey. It was:

“What are you tired of?”

My first thought (naturally) was laundry. I have no idea how my children manage to wear everything they own in a single week, but alas…they do, therefore I’m up to my elbows i
Nicole
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked that this book was on the border of YA and Adult, it dealt with the age range of Young Adult, but at the same time, it didn't skirt around issues that teenagers face normally. I've noticed that most YA won't curse or really address the issue of sex, but this book managed to cover what it really was like for teenagers before their world exploded and then what it was like after.

I really liked that this book could double as a YA for more mature readers within the genre. While there isn't se
Marceline
Jun 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who need more disappointment in life
Recommended to Marceline by: a very disappointed person
Warning: This contains spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Book, I am very disappointed in you.
The blurb made you sound so amazing!
But... no. No, book. NO.

I honestly had a love-hate relationship throughout reading this. Some parts were amazing, and then the book would drop so low that it would make me want to run headfirst into my mirror.

Some of the big problems I have?

#1: Lily.

I want to punch Lily in her fucking face.
Not because she's capable but gets held down; that isn't her fault (i.e I'll co
Giselle
Apr 24, 2012 marked it as to-read
HELLS TO THE YEAH!!
*drool*
MUST HAZ!!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions.

Like its cover, Emily McKay's The Farm is exceedingly dark and creepy, filled with the kinds of vampires that are never going to make swoon-inducing heroes. The Farm reminded me somewhat of The Passage and of The Immortal Rules, both in tone and vampire-ness.

In The Farm, the world has been overrun by Ticks. No, not the bugs. Humans-turned-monsters that feed on human blood. As is the case in roughly 37% of post-apocalyptic fiction, scientific research i
Kirsty
Jun 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
The time of whiny, incompetent heroines really won't go away and I wish it would. The Farm is another young adult book, in a long line of young adult books, to throw up lead characters who are a terrible fit, yet somehow are inexplicably drawn to one another.

The concept is good (a post-apocalyptic world that is overrun with genetically modified, blood-sucking humans known as Ticks), but poorly executed (inconsistent with a habit of throwing more and more "twists" into the fray to keep the reader
Novels On The Run
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 5 BRILLIANT , INTENSE STARS!!

This is a most brilliant, intense read. I devoured this book. I am still hungry and want more.

Throw this on your TBR pile and shoot it up near the top. Emily has a unique take on her blood thirsty ‘Ticks’. It works very, very, well. I am not left with a head full of questions.

The world that is built is alarmingly real and frightening.

Lou
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, dystopia
You will find that this story does have teenage characters, a possible love interest and vampires not all in the same context and is told successfully and proved to be an enjoyable read for me.
It starts with the narratives of two sisters told in different chapters in a dystopia setting, there is a need to survive, a care and love for each for other, a possible plan to break free, a journey out of to freedom from The Farm.
The story grabs you from the start you have a feeling of the moment and the
Justine
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
This is a decent vampire story that gets some extra points for originality. The two main characters are identical twin sisters, Lily and Mel, but Mel is a mid-level functioning autistic. The girls have been living in what is essentially an internment camp called The Farm for six months, ever since the outbreak of a virus that turned a large proportion of the human population into savage, feral versions called Ticks, who kill and feed on human blood.

Lily believes that once she and her sister turn
Kenneth Hursh
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Conflict is a good thing in a novel, but The Farm is an example of too much of a good thing. It starts out with a cool dystopian setting, teenagers held captive to give blood to feed vampires who have taken over the U.S.

Lily is one such captive who yearns to free herself and her autistic sister, Mel, from their particular blood farm. Lily loves Mel and wants to protect her, but also feels burdened by her (conflict # 1). Suddenly, Lily’s old high school crush, Carter, appears at the farm and sho
Once Upon a Twilight
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really didn’t know what to expect when I first picked this book. The cover seems pretty simple but a little creepy, I think. Well, let me tell you, The Farm was an AMAZING book from start to finish. It has a little bit of everything - romance, suspense, vampires, and a tough cookie for a heroine. Oh, and did I mention a hot guy? Yup, it has it all. The story is told in Lilly, Mel and Carter’s POV. The way that Emily wrote it, makes it really easy to follow. I love reading in Mel’s POV. I think ...more
Heidi
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four stars: A edge of your seat dystopian with terrifying and original vampires!

Lily stuffs a few more items into her bulging backpack. She mentally goes over the list of things she still needs in order to make her escape. For the last few months, Lilly along with her autistic sister Mel have been living on The Farm. The Farm is a fortified place where teenage kids were sent to protect them from the Ticks. Just a few short months ago, the United States was overrun by Ticks. Ticks are terrifying,
Heather
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews at http://www.flyleafreview.com

4.25/5 Stars

I recently reviewed one of my favorite vampire books, Sunshine by Robin McKinley. One of the things I love most about that book is that the vampires in it aren't the sparkly, vegetarian variety. They are cold, calculating, ruthless, and damn scary. They aren't to be trusted. Yet sometimes it can be a very good thing to have a vampire on your side. Well The Farm is another book that features old school vampires, the dark and dangerous
Bonnie McDaniel
It took a while to get into this book, and my enthusiasm varied throughout. It reminds me of a summer movie blockbuster that keeps you enthralled while you're in the theater, but after the last credit rolls and you've had time to think about what you've seen, the plot holes grow bigger and bigger.

It's set in the near future, after blood-drinking, genetically engineered monsters known as Ticks have ravaged the U.S. (Exactly where 250 million or more people went is not explained, and our heroes s
Lori
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lily and Mel are twin sisters. They live on a "Farm". The farm is really a college campus that has been converted into an interrement camp for teenagers. They live secluded from everyone else. Choosing to stay in a storage closet in the science building rather than the dorms. Lily takes care of Mel because of her autism. Everything goes smoothly they stay out of the Dean's notice and even have a plan to get out. Well, until Carter comes along and messes everything up.

This book was really, really
Merve Özcan
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

(Spoiler içerir)
Sihirli Kitap ve Kitap Sayfaları blog sahipleri ile ufak bir okuma etkinliğimiz vardı. Çiftliği okuyorduk ve kitap bitti.
Uzun bir süredir beklediğim kitaptı Çiftlik. Amerikadan öncede okuyoruz, bunun büyük etkisi oldu tabi.
Hayal kırıklığıda beraberinde geldi. Kurgu açısından güzel bir kitap ama ben daha farklı bir şey bekliyordum. Özellikle bu kızların ikiz olduğu ve ikisinin de Abduktura olabileceği kimsenin aklına nedense gelmedi. Sonr
~Tina~
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bite-me, read-2014
This was surprisingly great. A different take on vampire lore which I didn't think was possible at this point. I liked the characters and the writing is really addicting. Can't wait to read the sequel!
Vicky
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it. Had most of it figured out early but there was a twist I wasn't expecting. 4 1/2 stars.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Romance, danger, vampires and a whole lot more! This book was packed full of surprises, twists, and one seriously awesome butt kicking heroine who will do whatever it takes to protect to her twin sister. This book was not at all what I was excepting it to be, it was so much better. When I sat down to read this book I wasn't sure what I should except, and I can tell you I wasn't excepting to be hooked from the get go, to read it in one sitting, and to fall in love with some of the characters. Emi ...more
Penelope
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
This book came out of nowhere!

I had never heard of The Farm, when it appeared on my doorstep one day. To be honest, I wasn't all that interested in yet another story about vampires. Yet I still found myself slipping it into my bag to take to work, in case A Clash of Kings (Game of Thrones book 2) got too heavy for me. It did...and that's how three hours into my shift, I picked up The Farm and couldn't put it back down until I was finished. I was blindsided by this book!

The first thing that caugh
Michelle  novelsontherun
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
RATING: 5 BRILLIANT , INTENSE STARS!!

The world that is built is alarmingly real and frightening.

6 months approximately, since the Tick virus, yes, there are vampires in this story, but it is not another vampire story.....
Liviania
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
THE FARM starts on the campus of The University of North Texas*, but it's no longer a college. It's, well, a farm. Teenagers are divided into three groups: Greens, Breeders, and Collabs. They're all trying to survive the Ticks, who live outside the electrified fence surrounding the school. The Ticks feed on human blood, and they like teenagers best. Lily and her twin sister are about to age out.

Thus, Lily and Mel plan to escape. There are two major complications. Lily's old crush Carter shows up
Angie
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A dystopian society caused by vampires? Yes, please! It's no secret that I'm a little (or a lot) obsessed with vampires, and my love of the Dystopia genre is steadily growing, so it's no wonder that I loved The Farm! It even has multiple POVs which just adds to my love! The vampires are also most definitely not the good guys (with the exception of maybe one), which was an interesting and welcome change from the norm.

I really admired Lily. She's managing to take care of herself and her autistic s
Traveling Through...: Chapters 31-End 1 4 Apr 12, 2015 07:13PM
Traveling Through...: Chapters 22-31 1 2 Apr 12, 2015 07:13PM
Traveling Through...: Chapters 12-21 1 1 Apr 12, 2015 07:11PM
Traveling Through...: Chapters 1-11 1 1 Apr 12, 2015 07:09PM
help please! 2 8 Nov 28, 2014 07:01AM
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
  • Colonization (Paradise Reclaimed, #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #1)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • The Prey (The Hunt, #2)
  • Cybernetic
  • Stitch (Stitch Trilogy, #1)
  • Flash Point
  • Bane (Vampire Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Last Bastion of the Living (The Last Bastion #1)
  • Reign of Blood (The Vampires of Vegas, #1)
  • The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1)

The Farm (3 books)
  • The Lair (The Farm, #2)
  • The Vault (The Farm, #3)
“His presence makes me feel thin. Not model slender. But worn, like an old cotton housedress. Thin like a specimen pressed between two plates of glass. Like a bug squashed beneath the marching boot of a soldier.

Thin and worn and silence like I've never known.

This is how I know he is not a Tick.

They are as pitiable as they are inhuman. They are fear personified. Their emotions and minds given over to rage and hunger. They are all noise. He is none.

If he is not a Tick, does that make him a Tock?”
8 likes
“You just told me you didn't intend to love me. You didn't want to love me. You got yourself arrested to keep yourself away from me. That's not love. That's a compulsion. And, by the way, kudos on coming up with the worst pickup line of all time.” 8 likes