Start by marking “Before and Ever Since” as Want to Read:
Before and Ever Since

Before and Ever Since

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
EMILY LOCKWOOD, YOUR PAST IS SHOWING...

Emily Lockwood has been sitting on a secret for so long, and buried so deep that she really doesn’t even think of it anymore. Why should she? She has a successful career, an ex-husband who rarely tests her patience, a mother who usually does, and a stubbornly independent grown daughter. Everything is fine, just another crazy kind of
Published November 6th 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Before and Ever Since, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before and Ever Since

Megan Fall
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: make-you-cry
I love books about young lovers who find each other later in life. This one was really good. I absolutely adored the characters and the story was perfect! Another great read from this author.
Michelle [Helen Geek]

Ending = 3 Stars
Worth the Chili = 2 Stars -- [$5.99 on Amazon]
Smexy [HEAT] Rating = Mild
336 pages

Okay, I'm onto the formula. I can't say this was my favorite read. It was just on the low end of okay. This author fails to elicit much emotion or overall concern from this reader. I think I've read enough of Sharla Lov
Dorine
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 Blue Ribbon Review + Recommended Read courtesy of Romance Junkies. Full review also available at my blog, TBR Mountain Range. For a light-hearted contemporary story that surprises you with its deep, emotional, black moments, you don't want to miss this one! From the first sentence, first paragraph and first page, I was enamored by this heroine's voice. And the hero? Scrumptious!

Sometimes I wonder if I can do a book justice by trying to describe how good it really is, and this novel is one of
J
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Second chance romance with some heartbreak at how much keeping a secret can hurt others. It was okay.
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
I loved Sharla Lovelace's first book The Reason Is You, and she did it again. She manages to pull you into the story with her main character who is telling it in the first person partly because Emily is just so darn down to earth and real. This book is not YA, Emily is 40 and has a grown daughter. She is divorced and a fairly successful realtor who works out of her home. Her ex is rather a jerk and she caught him cheating on her some years ago.

The story begins when Emily finds out that her mothe
Christi Snow
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My Review:
Sharla Lovelace has only a very few books out. Last year I read THE REASON IS YOU and absolutely adored it (in fact, it made my top 10 list for the year). I've had this book in my TBR pile since I read that first one, but had such high hopes and expectations for it, honestly, I was a bit afraid to read it. Well I am so happy to report that this book was just as good as the other. So good!!! OMG!

The book begins with the shocker for Emily that her mother has decided to sell her home and
Jess (Gone with the Words)
Read this review on my blog! --> Before and Ever Since by Sharla Lovelace

In Before and Ever Since, Sharla Lovelace gives us such a compelling story. Not only was this a story about love—found, lost, and found again—but also about what makes a family a family. It’s also about secrets, the good and bad they can bring.

I completely loved this story. Aside from being compelling, it was also magical. I don’t think I’ve ever been so wrapped up in the lives of characters so quickly as I was with thes
Cocktails and Books
Emily Lockwood's been hiding a secret for the past twenty one years. A secret she never worried about coming out, until her mother put her house up for sale, her ex-best friend arrived back in town and Emily suddenly starts taking trips down memory lane courtesy of her childhood home.

Sharla Lovelace is a gifted storyteller. She creates characters that are very down-to-earth, flawed and understand that there isn't a fairy tale happily ever after waiting for them at the end. They're ok with things
Janga
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Before and Ever Since is a hybrid of women’s fiction and romance. In part, it is the story of Emily’s coming to terms with who she is and discovering that even the people she knows best and loves most are more complex and layered than she ever realized. During the course of the story, Emily’s relationship with her mother, her sister, and her daughter changes. But at the heart of the story is her relationship with Ben, past and present.

Lovelace creates a cast of characters who, with few exceptio
Margaret
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vanessa
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I so adored this book! I wasn't sure if I would given it it first person, but Sharla made that work great!! At time I did wish to know the other character's thoughts and yet I was afraid of stepping into that minefield given what is revealed over the course of the story. That was harsh, but I could understand the reasoning that got them all there. I also liked that Emily was shown things from different views so that she could see she didn't always have the whole story. I liked that she also said ...more
Julie Barrett
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before and ever Since by Sharla Lovelace
Great book and what I really liked was that there are two stories here. First the present day story where Em and Holly's mother is selling her house and traveling the world with her sister Bernie in her RV.
It's a surprise to the girls as they clean out their rooms and attic of their things. Em is now divorced from Kevin and her 21 year old daughter Cass is on her own. They all meet at the family house to help and Ben, a neighbor helps with the heavy things
Miscjoy
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know I’m going to love a book when I first fall in love with the author’s voice and writing style. Such is the case here. I almost took a pass on it when the ARC was offered because it was categorized as “Romantic Women’s Fiction” and I’m not a big chick-lit fan. Nothing wrong with that genre per se, it just doesn’t speak to me. But then I read the excerpt. And Wow. O_O That first page – hell, that first sentence – I knew I had to read this story.

LOVED IT!!!! No, seriously. LOVED.

I had started
shms
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5*. I struggled to get into the book and after several starts, it seemed to hit the stride or it fit the mood and off we went.

Compelling reading, even though I'm not a fan of the first person POV nor the fact that I didn't like any of the characters much though by the end my heart hurt for her daughter and her ex-husband. I couldn't understand how a person could hang on to such a huge secret and be able to sleep at night. And I'm definitely not admiring of characters who take the easy road an
Jennifer-Eve Workman
I won this through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

Fantastic book! The romantic plot has a great twist that breaks from the typical "a love lost" type of story line. The only thing I'd like to see different is a bit more explanation as to why certain "mysterious" type visions keep happening to Emily. Or at lease some kind of vague explanation or hint... Otherwise, I really enjoyed this book. Totally worth time to read and recommend!
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER AWESOME BOOK FROM SHARLA LOVELACE!!!
Sharla Lovelace is a truly gifted storyteller. She manages to pull you into the story with her characters. This story and all the characters will grab you from the first page. I could not put it down!! I can't wait to read more from Sharla Lovelace in the future:)
Laura Drake
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lovelace has done it again - written a richly textured story that plucks every emotional string you have. She does it with humor and down-home charm, and I found it unputdownable.

Do yourself a favor, and pick this one up (or any one she's written,) you won't be sorry, and will be waiting for the next, right beside me!
Linda Smatzny
This is the story of Emily Lockwood and her best friend, Ben Landry. Emily has a nice life when Ben returns and starts to update Emily's mother's house. Emily has a secret from twenty-one years earlier about her daughter,Cassidy. This novel follows how the secret came about and how it comes out and the fallout. It was completely enjoyable.
April
Feb 10, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads, won-it
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
Michelle
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the romance aspect of the book and the messages about forgiveness and moving on. However, I had a very hard time with Emily's "spells" where she sees things that happened in her parents' house. But it was still a good story.
Debbi
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a romance (at least not contemporary ones) reader, but I enjoyed this book. It had an element of everyday magic and that was fun. Not a literary masterpiece but a great beach read (I read it on my deck :)
Cynthia Ellingsen
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! Sharla has a great voice. This is definitely a book worth reading, especially curled up in a pair of cozy pajamas when you have nowhere to be for at least 24-hours - 'cause you won't want to put it down.
Marinda
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
Loved this book. Maybe it's because I've been reading so many YF books and it was nice to re-settle into a book for adults. Maybe it was the writing style, or the story. But I loved it. It was one of those books that I didn't want to finish because I will miss the characters.
Simone St James
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sharla is a wonderful author, and I love a romance where the characters are over 40! They're hard to find.
Maria
Samantha
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
review to come
Genevieve Lynne
Loved, loved, loved this novel. So witty. So charming. So sexy. I'm marking everything Sharla Lovelace writes as a must-read.
Monique Thomas
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was so sweet and thought provoking I couldn't put it down. Definitely earned it's place in my read again pile.
Denept
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add kindle edition of "Before and Ever Since" 3 10 Jul 02, 2013 09:43PM
  • Shattered
  • Hearts of Iron
  • Red Dirt Road (Saving Angels, #2)
  • My Winter
  • Insipid
  • How to Screw Up Your Marriage
  • Dear Tabitha (Forever Family, #2)
  • penance. (Böhme, #1)
  • Sweet Tea for Two
  • We'll Always Have Paris
  • Renegade (The Protectors, #1)
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
  • Jimmy Stu Lives!
  • My Second Death
  • Kiss the Bride: There Goes the Bride/Once Smitten Twice Shy
  • Two Out of Three (Meagan Maloney Mystery, #1)
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island #1)
  • Love Nouveau (The Art of Falling Duet #1)
Sharla Lovelace is the Bestselling and Award Winning Author of five standalone novels, the exciting Heart of the Storm series, and the fun and sexy Charmed in Texas series, all featuring sexy small town love stories with heat and humor. Being a Texas girl through and through, she's proud to say she lives in Southeast Texas with her husband, a souped up golf cart, and two crazy mutts.

Sharla is avai

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)