Start by marking “Taken (Alex Verus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Taken (Alex Verus, #3)

Taken

(Alex Verus #3)

Mage apprentices have been vanishing without a trace—and someone on the council might be involved. Alex Verus has no evidence, no witnesses, and no suspects. All he knows is that someone is keeping tabs on him. And after assassins target his own apprentice’s classmate, Alex sees that he doesn’t know the half of it—and that he could be the next to disappear...
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken

Start your review of Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
Phrynne
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh yes! Third in the series and still firing on all cylinders! This really is as good a series as the Dresden Files and I would just love to see Alex Verus team up with Harry Dresden to wipe the floor with all those nasty Dark Mages. Sorry. I have only just finished the book and I am still a bit excited:)
Seriously, if you like this genre then this is a series for you to read. Verus is a delightful character - not one of those out to kill everybody type heroes, but more of a thinker and a planner
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was really good! I had never heard of this series until my friend Anne decided to host a read along on her blog, Books of My Heart, this year. Since the pace was set at only one book per month, I decided that I could make enough room in my reading schedule to fit this series in without too much work. That has turned out to be a fantastic decision because I have had a great time with each installment.

I really like both Alex and L
Mike (the Paladin)
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've had this on my currently reading list for a while, thought I ought to get around to reviewing it.

These are joining my favorites list. I think the first Urban Fantasy I ever read was Harry Dresden. I burned through the ones that were already published then and have snapped up each as it's been released since. It also set me off on trying to find other UF books or another UF series that I'd like as well. Mostly I've been disappointed. I find that a huge percentage of what gets labeled urban f
Emma
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Interesting to learn more about different mages’ powers, and to meet two new characters. I love how Luna is developing - Learning how she can use her curse to her advantage. Alex Verus is a pretty cool dude.
Tim The Enchanter
Top Shelf Urban Fantasy - 5 Stars

Benedict Jacka raises his game in the third installment of the Alex Verus series. After a shaky start to the series, he has produced a book I can gladly display next to my favorite Urban Fantasy novels by Jim Butcher, Ben Aaronovitch and Larry Corriea. I have a soft spot for the wizard/mage who honestly attempts to solve a mystery. As in the early Dresden novels, the mystery and the investigation that takes centre stage. Taken first and foremost tells a great
Robin (Bridge Four)
The third book in a UF series is usually the one that I get to and it is the deciding factor in if I’m going to continue the series or give up on it. With both Fated and Cursed being very solid reads for me I wasn’t really worried but Taken is where the series is starting to shine and so I’m relieved and encouraged to continue on with the series.

Alex is easy to root for. He isn’t the strongest, or nicest guy out there but he is smart and patient. Alex uses his gifts well and has spent time honin
Bradley
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid read that's building on the precognition premise, this time revolving around missing mage apprentices from both the light and dark camps. All are taken without a trace.

What can go wrong?

Well, for starters, Alex can pick up a few stragglers who might just want to go just as independent as he, for one. And we can do it all in the middle of a mage tournament he would never have considered attending, if he hadn't been forced to do it for the investigation.

Oh, and Luna is getting beast. Gotta
Felicia
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Continue to love this series, I just LOVE IT. Urban Fantasy at its best, so great to see that by book three I'm still dying to know more about the main character, the world, and everything. I guess the relationship between Alex and Anne is a BIT odd, like someone gave the author a note about what direction it should be, but other than that, love this series!
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
4.5
I could probably find a couple of nitpicks if I tried really, really hard. But I won't. I had so much fun reading this book that I don't even care if there are any.

The main premise is simple enough: mage apprentices have been vanishing and Alex is asked to find more about it. As this is the third book in the series, it's not surprising that nothing is that simple when Alex Verus gets involved. There isn't a single boring or even slower moment here.

The best part? There are so many surprises
Dominique
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 stars - $1.99 Kindle and Kobo sale, 22 March, 2020.
Eric
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Another solid entry in the ongoing Alex Verus series. Once again, Alex is pulled in to help the Council on a job. This time it’s to investigate apprentices that are disappearing.

3 books in, and the Alex Verus books seem to be acquiring a routine. Not that it’s a bad thing, as I’m enjoying the routine. The pattern seems to be that Alex takes a job he reluctantly agrees to take, different factions attempt to pull him in different directions, and we explore a little bit more of the various
Scott
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I feel one of the best compliments I can give an author is that their work continuously gets better, and that is definitely true of Jacka. He writes a wonderfully tight story, with great pacing, and lots of interesting characters.

This is most certainly becoming a favorite, and after the end of this book, I can't wait to see where it goes from here!
Mark
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
These just keep getting better, just the right amount of tension and ending on a high.

keeps me looking forward to the other books to come.
Mandapanda
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Persistence is paying off with this series. Alex is very slowly becoming more appealing as a hero and the growing cast of secondary characters are interesting. From the beginning I've enjoyed the myth-building behind this series. It makes sense and is different enough from everything else to make it feel unique.
Anne - Books of My Heart
4.5 hearts

It was great to see Alex in his master role with Luna as his apprentice. I love smart and his careful thought about any situation is appreciated. Alex doesn't want to be involved but he cares about other people and particularly apprentices as he doesn't want to leave them hanging in the way he was left hanging.

I'm looking forward to chosen as Alex continues to build his band of misfits, protect the underdogs and avoid the power hungry.

Anne's  observations from Taken:

Alex is ada
Red Wolf
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have trouble praising books, I much prefer to criticize them cause it's easier. So that is what I will do. I have seen many reviews about books that say, " I couldn't put it down", "I read all night", etc. That is my complaint with this book. I have typically 5-8 books on my currently reading list. Some are very good others are ok. I have books on my phone, tablet, computer, and actual books in the bathrooms. The book I have in the second bathroom gets the least attention. The last time I read ...more
Veronica
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This series is okay but there are too many things that bug me about it for it to ever rise above three stars IMO.

1. The way Mage society is run makes no sense. It seems terribly inefficient and just dumb.
2. It's hard to buy that Alex always has little tricks and spells to negate or lessen the impact of the powers of more powerful mages but none of those other mages ever seem to have anything to counteract Alex's powers.
3. We're now three books in and none of the secondary characters have been fl
Charlie
There's just something really addictive about this series and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Yet again, a super enjoyable book in the series and I'm excited to see what Alex gets up to in future adventures.
Leontiy Cristea
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taken is the third Alex Verus book—and so far it’s been my favourite. I began Taken with a pinch of salt: I’d not enjoyed Cursed very much at all and I was afraid that, for me, the series was slowly heading the way of the dodo. Thankfully, that didn’t happen and I’m going to stick around for more news of subsequent Alex Verus books. Handy, really, since Benedict Jacka commented on his blog earlier today about just this.

Cursed was a boring, predictable flop for me, especially having had a few mon
☕️Kimberly
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is approached to run security for a prestigious tournament and declines that is until young apprentices go missing. Then of course he and Luna, his own Mage apprentice are in the thick of things. There will be challenges, death and displays of clever wit.

Jacka gives us more time with Luna, and it was fun seeing her amongst the other young apprentices. We learned more about the world, while getting to know her. We meet new characters, explore new places and work our way through suspects, inc
Ranting Dragon
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garrett

Taken is the third installment in British author Benedict Jacka’s urban fantasy series centering around a wizard named Alex Verus. Having run-ins with experienced battlemages and coming out victorious seems to boost one’s reputation. Such is Alex Verus discovering. Where a few months ago he was a relative unknown in the supernatural circles, Alex is now drawing the attention of some powerful players. As a very competent diviner—a mage who can see into the
Kathy Davie
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Third in the Alex Verus urban fantasy revolving around an independent (well, he's trying not to belong to a faction) mage in Camden Town.

My Take
I find Alex Verus' world fascinating. And, sad to say, sadly realistic with mages who are more interested in self-advancement, revenge, and power than doing the right thing. Alex, naturally, is one of the few good guys, interested in good and protecting others, and I love how Jacka easily lets us know how very powerful Alex is even as he balances it with
Jennifer Morin
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m thinking 4.5 stars on this one. I really liked the ending, the magical creatures, the new characters (I hope they stick around), and Alex is just such a likable guy. This one had a great story line. A new type of vampire? Huh! This series is just so much fun. I can’t believe I didn’t know about this series until I saw it at my local library. So glad the cover caught my attention and I read the description. I’m sure I will read them all!!
Soo
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, reviewed
Thus far, this is my favorite book in the series! Gildart Jackson does such a great job with the books that I'm not sure if I could listen to him narrate for another author without connecting him to Alex.

Over the past year, Alex has gone from being a quiet shop owner to a somewhat infamous person worthy of note in the magic community. While he welcomes the change to his freelance work opportunities, Alex could do without the pandering and moronic overblown attention that comes with fame.

Magic s
Slategrey
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite of the Verus books so far - the writing seems to be developing a sparseness that appeals to me, and the world-building aspects were definitely kicked up a notch this time. I'm also finding the characters more sympathetic and relatable with each book, which is slowly making this one of my favorite series.

Unfortunately, the ending was rather spoiled for me since the final setting, villain, and several scenes were extremely similar to those of the manga "Ghost Hunt", p
D.G.
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alex is the kind of character I love: he wins not because he's the strongest mage (he isn't) but because he's become really good with the gifts he has (his divination), he's super smart, he's worked hard to compensate for the things he lacks (he's become really good fighter in a world where mages only trust their magic), without any crazy ego (he's not afraid to run away if that's the safest choice) and he's ruthless when he needs to.

I've loved every single of the books in this series. The inves
Dr susan
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again, re-read
"There was a chorus of screams, one of which might have been mine." A reader has to love a man who admits in a grammatically correct sentence that he girly screamed. And that same reader needs to remember that laughing out loud in public is a hazard of reading the Verus books. I finished Taken and went straight to Jacka's website, with my fingers crossed, to check for news of Verus #4 and found it! The new characters are great; Luna's abilities are growing; the horror is less quiet, and the writ ...more
Aya
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex Verus: 3
This book seemed less put together than the previous. There's a lot of things going on, a huge cast of characters, and several plot threads running all over the place. The author manages to tie most of the threads together by the end, but still leaves a few hanging. On the plus side, Luna wasn't acting like a spoiled brat in this book. A good read, but not on par as the previous two.
Steve
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this very difficult to put down, and I'm really enjoying how the series is developing. The premise of the book was fascinating, and the action picked up quickly. I was glad that some of the usual suspects didn't make a showing in this outing, but I suspect they will be back. The build-up to the climax, and the climax were rather delicious. I'm disappointed about a portion of the resolution, I'm hoping it will be resolved later in the series.
John
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With this third book the series seems to shift into a new gear with a well-designed structure that's clear and easy to follow; the ruminations and explanations of the first-person narrative are more closely fitted to the action now in an exciting mystery that takes us farther than before into a world of magic that's intricate and varied.

There's the world of light and dark mages that we know from the first two books: Alex, the main character, whose talent is divination; Sonder, the time mage; an
Vampires, Weres a...: Alex Verus #3: Taken 6 16 Jun 20, 2018 06:48PM

• Changes (The Dresden Files, #12)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London, #3)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Daring (Pax Arcana, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Born of Hatred (Hellequin Chronicles, #2)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Ghost Money (Eric Carter #5)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)

Alex Verus (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Forged (Alex Verus, #11)

News & Interviews

“Has anybody ever told you you’re a remarkably cynical person?”
“I like to think of it as learning from experience.”
8 likes