Start by marking “Silent Slaughter” as Want to Read:
Silent Slaughter

Read Excerpt

Silent Slaughter

(Lee Campbell Mystery #4)

THERE IS A METHOD TO HIS MADNESS

He chooses his tools with precision. Stalks his victims with cold efficiency. Plans his attack using mathematical logic. And now he is ready to play. . .

THERE ARE RULES TO HIS GAME
When the killer's first letter arrives at the station, NYPD profiler Lee Campbell suspects the writer is daring him to match wits with a dangerous--and brilliant--
Published August 7th 2012 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Slaughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Slaughter

Billjr13
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Just got my copy in the mail. Thanks Goodreads. I thought this wa a good book. There is not real heavy lifting here but it is entertaining and creepy. Well writen and it delivers what you expect with a couple of twists to keep you on your toes. I will be snagging a couple more books by Lawrence. As Joe Bob would say, Check it Out.
Lourdes
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was in NY when I read this and I could tell the author knew enough to describe the settings and people very accurately. It's a little over 400 pages but I was captivated enough by his story-telling that I kept on saying to myself, "Just one more chapter, then I'll go to bed..."
Becca W
I got this book for free in the Goodreads FirstReads program.
This book was great! It was intriguing throughout the whole book, and the way that the author wrote this book kept me entertained. I've read many books, but I haven't read very many that are quite like this. I think that reading Silent Slaughter changed my mind about these books. I'm definitely going to read more books by C.E. Lawrence, especially if I read this one in about 5 or 6 hours!
The main character, Lee Campbell, works at the
TheGeekyBlogger
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Won from Library Thing
Overall Rating 4.00
Story Rating 4.50
Character Rating 3.50

First Thought when Finished: Silent Slaughter was a creepy cat and mouse game that didn't go exactly how I expected.

What I Thought of the Story: Silent Slaughter was an excellent read that kept me involved from beginning to end. Even though this is 4th book in the series (I think), this is the first one that I have read. I didn't feel lost at all. I could tell that there is an overall arc storyline involving Campbell'
Tam
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kelsey
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
A note arrives for Detective Leonard Butts signed by the Professor. After consulting with profiler, Dr. Lee Campbell, they decide to wait and see what the obviously intelligent man does next. They don’t have to wait long before the first known victim is discovered with a missing finger and a note. Now the case pulls in Forensics Linguistics Specialist Elena Krieger and Jimmy Chen and his autistic brother Barry. Dealing with a sophisticated psycho is nothing new for this group but without Barry’s ...more
Jimmmunchel
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
SILENT SLAUGHTER by C. E. Lawrence

I do love a good tale of good vs. evil. I do love a novel of unflinching suspense where a serial killer is loose and preying on the weak and eventually get their just desserts.
Unfortunately, this SILENT SLAUGHTER by C. E. Lawrence is not one of them.
I swore I would ‘never’ write a review about a book I didn’t like…so I won’t.
On the positive side, the premise was solid. I know I don’t have the ‘chops’ to write so this will be brief.
I feel that since I have read
Les Gehman
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Silent Slaughter by C.E. Lawrence is an outstanding murder mystery/thriller pitting NYPD profiler Lee Campbell against a psychopath calling himself The Professor. In a game of cat vs. cat Campbell races against time as The Professor kills victim after victim while leaving very cryptic clues, including letters directed to Campbell. Gruesome at times, this book keeps the tension high and the action swift. Great characters in the supporting cast keep the book from becoming just a 1 on 1 duel betwee ...more
Anne
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Silent Slaughter by C.E. Lawrence is the fourth book in the Lee Campbell series. Full Disclosure: I received this book through a LibraryThing giveway and have not read the previous books – something I plan to soon remedy.

This book is a fast-paced thriller where the NYPD criminal profiler is chasing a brilliant serial killer who taunts him with letters and the disfigured bodies of his prey. The killings soon escalate, drawing Lee further and further into the hunt for this sadistic killer. The se
Joanna Johnson
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
As serial killer/murder mysteries go, I found Silent Slaughter okay. The overall premise of the book was good, but I found it lacking in suspense. If I'm really enjoying a book I want to keep reading, and I will stay up until I finish reading because I cannot stand the suspense. In this case, the story didn't hook me, and I often found the level of detail to be distracting. If you are describing a neighborhood, I do not need a list of all of the restaurants in the area. This time and space could ...more
Sally
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
C.E. Lawrence has done it again and given the reader an unforgettable ride with a twisted serial killer who succeeds in outwitting New York’s Finest with his savage rampage of death and destruction. Once again, Lee Campbell, the only police profiler in the city, seeks to stop the all too successful psychopath. As the killer becomes more daring, the reader literally feels the fear of the victims as if it were his own.

The individual characters come alive with Lawrence’s skillful descriptions, and
Kevin Symmons
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a an acquaintance of Carols, I found this an engaging thriller. The mysterious and intriguing interaction between the villian and NY Police Dept profiler Lee Campbell continues to excite and frighten her audience. C.E. Lawrence does a fine job teasing, pushing and pulling the reader back and forth between the highs and lows being felt by Campbell. Ever-troubled by his sisters unexplained dissappearance and the ever changing dynamic of his family, his lover(s) and his associates, I found C.E.' ...more
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Actually 3.5 stars....

I received a copy of Silent Slaughter by C.E. Lawrence from Library Things as an early reviewer. I was unaware that Silent Slaughter was the fourth book in the series and while I enjoyed many aspects of Silent Slaughter, I do not feel compelled to go back and read the previous three books in Lawrence’s Lee Campbell Mystery series. Silent Slaughter is a faced paced book which and an enjoyable psychological thriller, yet I found myself wishing there had been a tad more to the
Yvonne
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Even though I knew this was part of a series and I haven't read the earlier books, I decided to read this. Now, I wish that I'd read the other books first because I'm sure I would have enjoyed this more if I had.

I enjoyed the main story but was more intriqued by the sub-stories involving Lee's sister and niece. I plan to read the prior three novels and may reread this one before the release of the next book in the series.

I received this book through the GoodReads First Reads program.
Marla Madison
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
The premise of the mystery was good, and I did finish the book. However, for me the author at times was way too
wordy with things not relating to the mystery or the plot. There was too much detail about the characters homes,
family lives, etc.
I did enjoy the main character, and tend to disagree with reviewers who felt they should have read the other books in
this series first. I didn't feel like the author packed too much in about the previous books at all, or left out too much
information.
Not a "st
Chris
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read this book pretty fast. There was a LOT going on in the story........ too many people to follow in one book. Not sure if the author actually tied up all the loose ends, or gave a good finish to all the parts where the author left the reader hanging! The majority of the story was good........I just think the author could have put maybe 2 of the side stories into a different book.......... and maybe this one would have flowed better. Still.........it was OK to read.
Caitlin
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway, and I'm so happy that I did. I found it to be very entertaining, and the honesty of the main character was so refreshing. I really appreciate such honesty. I look forward to reading C.E. Lawrence's other books! He writes great thrillers.
Melissa Larkin
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty good book for the most part. Enjoyed the characters, plot, and how it was written. Need to read more of her other works to get a better feel, so can't wait to see what her other works are like.
KC
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Dr. Lee Campbell. Fast paced and an even flow.
Loretta
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a puzzle! Keeps you on your toes, and gives you new admiration for math...
Mrspam4ever
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! Not my usual genre, but the cover was intriguing to me so I read it and enjoyed it a lot:) It was a great giveaway & since donating it to my library it has been circulating!
Tracey
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The ending didn't wrap up the entire sto. Leaves you wondering why the story was so bogged down with two other events that where left wide open at the end of the book.
Lindsey Ruppe
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very hard to put down, flowed very well. Enjoyed immensely
Gretta Germroth
C.E. Lawrence 2 7 Jan 02, 2013 11:41AM

• The Way to School
  • Virion
  • The Talented Mr. Maxwell
  • We're going to be friends
  • Sword of Marathon
  • Landslide (The South Beach Connection Trilogy, #1)
  • The Resilient Runner: Mental Toughness Training for Endurance Runners
  • My Gentleman Vampire: The Undead Have Style
  • The Digital Helix: Transforming Your Organization's DNA to Thrive in the Digital Age
  • 17 Cents and a Dream
  • Storm Crossed (Grim, #4)
  • Red Blood, Yellow Skin
  • The Black Tongue
  • No Mercy
  • The Grave Blogger
  • Sweet Tea for Two
  • Kings of New York
  • Werelove Special Omnibus edition (Werelove)

C.E. Lawrence aka Carole Bugge' is the byline of a New York-based suspense writer, performer, composer and prize-winning playwright and poet whose previous books have been praised as "lively. . ." (Publishers Weekly); "constantly absorbing. . ." (starred Kirkus Review); and "superbly crafted prose" (Boston Herald). Silent Screams, Silent Victim, Silent Kills, and recently released Silent Slaughter

Lee Campbell Mystery (5 books)
  • Silent Screams