Start by marking “The Descendant (City of the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Descendant (City of the Gods, #1)

The Descendant

(City of the Gods #1)

700 A.D. Teotihuacán, Mexico – The High Priest believed himself to be as powerful as the gods. He set a plague on the city as a demonstration of his power. The Gods took pity on the remaining loyal congregation. They granted each survivor immortality and an extraordinary ability. Three loyal survivors were given a mission of great importance: train the lone human descendan ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Ruby Lioness Press

To ask other readers questions about The Descendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Descendant

~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
My Review
5 Roses

Between the intriguing synopsis and the gorgeous cover, this book had my attention pretty quick. I was excited for the chance to read this story, and it certainly didn't disappoint!

This book had everything needed for a great story. Filled with light history of the characters, intense and thrilling mysteries and surprises, character development, amazing plot progression, awesomely intense and descriptive action scenes, true love, and incredible strength of character, I couldn't have asked for an
Ethan Gregory
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full review and more available at: http://oneguysguidetogoodreads.blogsp...

*********************************************************************************
My Thoughts

I'm not going to lie, I had no idea what to expect going into this read. Is this a historic fiction? A paranormal perhaps? Wait... is it fantasy thriller? A supernatural mystery with an air of historic suspense? I was confused. Point blank. Regardless of what genre this series decides to be place in, I took the plunge. A plunge tha
Abby
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book is full of love, adventure, action, and horror. It has a lot of everything for every reader. This is my favorite book by far. It is well written and full of suspense. I felt like I was a live witness of the events because it is so vivid and so detailed. It is impossible to avoid falling in love with the characters. It is a book you just cannot put down. You will want to read it over and over.
Marlene
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review originally published at Reading Reality.

Maybe the Mayan calendar is right, and the world really is coming to an end. They just had the date a bit off. And things aren't quite hopeless, or there wouldn't be a story in it.

One other tiny detail, the ancient civilization involved wasn't the Mayans, it was the Aztecs. But there's still the whole "end of the world" deal. Except that in this case, there is one person, a Redeemer, who can prevent it. If she's not stopped.

And the forces of evil de
Erica
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katalina is an ordinary young woman. At least, she thinks she is. She lost her parents at a young age along with the pendant they had given her. In honor of that gift, she bears a tattoo of the pendant’s image on her back. After being attacked outside a night club, she encounters Damien, a strange man whose appearance will alter the course of her life forever.

Katalina’s two best friends, Sabine and Vivian, both possess magical abilities. Katalina has no idea of this at the beginning of the story
Inga
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My review:

Let me start saying that when I saw the cover of the book, I was hooked! I think the cover artist has done the book justice!

The Descendant by S.J. McMillan was a great found for me! The novel is well-written, it is packed with action, love, intrigues and twists. i will be looking very much forward to the sequel of the book!

Regarding the plot:

Katalina Deckard is a woman who on the surface seems to be ordinary, is nothing but boring. The story starts with changes in Kat's life, she loses
Jovon Tucker
First, I have to start this review off with saying that my experience with Samantha has been very pleasant and she was even nice enough to send me both an ecopy and signed edition of her book The Descendant! While I did enjoy parts of this book, I was not satisfied in general.

I am not sure if this is how McMillan wrote the book, but I felt as those the quality of the plot was sporadic. Almost as if McMillan wrote certain parts of the book in sections and was just off the game a little on the dow
Nikki McCarver
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Katalina (Kat) was having a bad day. She had just lost her job because of cut backs and returned home to see her fiancee packing up his stuff and leaving with another woman. Oh yeah, this week couldn't get any better. She was on her way to meet up with her two best friends as these thoughts were running rapid through her head. Well those and all the cruel things Ryan had said to her as he left. She pushed all that aside as she stepped up to the new and rather creepy doors leading to the club. Fo ...more
Steph at  Starry Night Book Reviews
I enjoyed this book a lot and I will be reading the next one when it comes out. What a wonderful paranormal romance that has a little bit of everything, action, adventure and Mythology. I really liked the story line, it holds you’re interest till the end and I really liked learning about the gods I thought it was really interesting and I can’t wait for more. The characters are great I loved Kat (Katalina) and her friends not to mention the sexy club owner who is more then he appears to be.

Kat is
Stephanie
Let me tell you, I almost hated this author because this book pissed me off and that is hard to do. It grabbed me from the get go. With the title being what it is, you really wonder what it means, and no you don't expect it to be literal. Katalina your average woman going through life's ups and downs with her best friends Vivian and Sabine. She loses her parents to a tragic accident and carries the guilt for years. In steps Tristian, night club owner, and unbeknownst to Katalina, acquainted with ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
City of Gods is a taut, suspenseful read that grabs you right away. A paranormal story about one woman who unbeknownst to her is to save the world from evil. Katalina goes out with her two best friends and meets a man that kindles something in her she thought was gone. She meets the owner of the club she is at and is encouraged to go on stage and sing, which she does, but after her performance something makes her panic and she leaves out the back door to get some air. Outside she is beaten and a ...more
Crissy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
“City of the Gods: The Descendant” is a good read. I feel like this book sets up the story for what’s to come in the next; you find out who the characters are and what role they play. Katalina is the redeemer; the one chosen by the gods who is supposed to save the human race but she doesn’t know it yet. Ever since she met her now best friends Vivian and Sabine the girls have been inseparable but there’s more to Vivian and Sabine than Kat realizes. The girls spend a night having fun in a club and ...more
Alisha Howard
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I tell ya, I’m a sucker for the ole “boy rescues girl who happens to harbor unmatched power inside of her” stories, so I was thrilled when I received this copy. I immediately liked Katalina for being the strong heroine we all come to expect from these types of books and Tristan is definitely yummy. I also enjoyed her interactions with her two friends.

There is a lot of mystery in the first half of the book which kept me turning the page out of sheer curiosity. SJ builds the suspense as Katalina d
Rene Nightingale
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Romance, paranormal, modernized, and non-stop action all combined to tell a tale unlike any other I have read before. This was the first story that I read which involved the legends of the ancient civilization of the Aztecs. I have a new found interest in Aztec lore. I found myself drawn to the main character Katalina from the movement she took center stage (I am not going to give away too much of the story!)

City of the Gods is a story about the adventures an average girl name Katalina (she is l
L.M. David
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Gods in this book have issues. Lots of them. The main character, Katalina, has come of age to become the Redeemer and has three individuals protecting her, Tristan, Vivian and Sabine. The book starts with Katalina recovering from a broken heart and on an emotional rollercoaster. Her pet peeve, however, is liars. When the truth about what Katalina is comes to light, it becomes a question of who to believe since her three friends reveal they knew but kept it secret because the Gods didn't want ...more
Shawnee
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kat Deckard believes she is a normal woman recovering from breaking up with her boyfriend. While at a newly-remodeled nightclub with her two best friends – Vivian and Sabine – she is assaulted by two men and another side to her comes to the surface.

This book is very fast-paced and entertaining. It is easy to sympathize with Kat, who quickly discovers that the life she’s known all along was not what it appeared to be. Her friends are not what they appear to be. And, if there is one thing I love
Jesenia Sanabia
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't like to give spoilers but I can say this is a worth while read! This book definitely hooks you from the beginning. It continues to draw you in the more you read. Just like great books do. Some parts even gave me goose bumps! As an author I can say this must have been a fun book to write! The ending is the beginning of the next book! You have to read the next one because you are left hanging!

If you enjoy this book I recommend reading this book it has similar tones: http://www.amazon.com/M
Torne
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-the-library
The Descendant was a fun read. A little magic, mystery, and of course romance. I can really see the characters as people. It was nice to see a strong female that wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger with boobs. Looking forward to completing the series…
Roze Wallin
My Review

Check out my review here!
Kimberly Landry
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Freaking awesome

Freaking awesome! Hooked me right in! Love that it isn't your standard Gods From Greece. All I can say is I loved it and catsuit to start reading the rest of this series.
Mary
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from the author, S.J. McMillan, through the Modern Good Reads group on Goodreads.
Crissa
May 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Very cool concept...pretty boring dialog. I needed more. More emotion, more charm, more romance, more something... I just felt very detached from the characters.
Carole P. Roman
Nov 09, 2014
Jun 05, 2012
Leanna Harrow
Apr 23, 2013
Jacquelynn Gagne
Apr 13, 2013
S.j.
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sherry
Feb 18, 2016
Sara
Nov 16, 2016
Gary
Jan 22, 2014
Modern Good Reads: A Read for Review offer: City of the Gods: The Descendant 7 29 Apr 26, 2013 02:21PM

City of the Gods (3 books)
  • The Betrayal (City of the Gods #2)
  • Redemption (City of the Gods #3)