Start by marking “Perfection (Perfection, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfection (Perfection, #1)

Perfection

(Perfection #1)

The personification of Aryan purity, Ellyssa's spent her whole life under her creator's strict training and guidance; her purpose is to eradicate inferior beings. She was genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.
Only Ellyssa isn't perfect.
Ellyssa feels emotions--a fact she's spent her life concealing. Until she en
Published July 16th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfection

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
516 books — 2,462 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,060 voters

More lists with this book...

J.L. Spelbring
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I hope everyone who reads PERFECTION enjoys it. July 2013 is getting closer.
Molly Mortensen
Point of View: Third (Ellyssa, Dr. Hirch Ellyssa’s ‘father’, Angela a member of the Gestapo, and Rein a young renegade)

Source: Netgalley

My Rating: 6/10 Stars

Predictability: 4 out of 5 (Where 1 is George RR Martin (If the characters make a plan or think about the future I know it isn’t going to go that way.) And 5 is Cinder (where I guessed what was going to happen long before it did, but it was still a great book.)

Warnings: Attempted rape and torture (with super powers)

My Summary: Perfection is
Kate Kaynak
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is SUCH an amazing, original story--it's Westerfield's SPECIALS meets Philip K. Dick's THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE. "Dystopian" doesn't even begin to cover a world in which the Nazis won the war. This is a must-read for anyone who likes their YA with an edge; we're delighted to have it at Spencer Hill!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
DNFed at around 40% out of boredom.

This had a really creative premise– Nazis took over the world and a perfect girl learns to be a real person. And it was vaguely interesting, if a little one-dimensional... until she reached the shelter. Then it just got terrible.

The main character wasn't developed enough for you to really care about the plot and storyline. And of course, she only develops emotion through romance, which is possibly the least creative choice ever. It didn't help that the romanc
Bethany
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're not already desperately awaiting the release of this book, you should be. Mark it on every calendar you have!

J.L. Spelbring is able to create an entire universe that is both chilling and heartbreaking - a cold and desolate tale that goes far beyond the word 'dystopia'. Elyssa's character is dynamic and beautifully written. Her voice and actions make you both want to keep away from her and hug her tight at the same time. The entire book from beginning to end will have you worried, terri
Lauren Hammond
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is seriously so unique and amazing it's mind-blowing!
Alex Bennett
Fantastic! Review to come...
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spencer-hill
I want to thank Spencer Hill Press for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way changed my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Only Ellyssa isn't perfe
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shp
Perfection Review on K-Books

"Together, we can make it through whatever awaits us."

Wow!
That was my initial reaction after finishing Perfection. This is without a doubt one of the most well thought out, cleverly-written and unique books I have ever read. I am naturally a massive fan of Dystopia novels so I couldn't wait to read Perfection from the first moment that I heard of it. Perfection is all that I hoped it would be and more.

Ellyssa is perfect. No really! She has been genetically engineere
Janina
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a hard book for me to rate and write for some reason. I enjoyed the story and thought the author's writing style was great, but I don't know why I'm having such a hard time writing this review. I really enjoyed the idea of the story. The doctor of the center/Ellyssa father is pretty much corrupt. He's creating the 'perfect' soldiers to establish Hitlers goals of perfection and utopia. If he thinks they aren't perfect in their genetics and abilities, then the soldiers are suppose to elim ...more
Willow Cross
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to have the honor of reading Perfection pre-publication. This is hands down one of the best dystopians I've ever read. The story is a fast-paced thrill ride that will keep you rapidly turning pages to get to the end. The characters are so well crafted that I felt as if I'd known them for a long time. Do yourself a favor and read it. You will not be disappointed!
L.M. Preston
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Perfection starts of with a bang. A girl escaping her fate, and running for her life. The adventure the tension between her and the one she would fall in love with captures you. But when she faces the one evil mastermind behind it all she realizes that maybe he isn't the only one she has to fear.

Loved it!
Shay VanZwoll
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
In an alternate timeline where Hitler won WWII, Ellyssa is a genetically bioengineered model of perfection. With platinum blonde hair, azure blue eyes, and a perfect body, she is the dream of what Hitler was imagining. However, certain "improvements" have been added and The Center's "Children" also have super-powers that continue to grow and improve as they are treated like lab rats and told that emotion is an imperfection.

But to Dr. Hirch, the father of The Children, perfection hasn't been comp
Zymmee
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first book review. The book is worth the read. It is kind of like Divergent meets the 1996 movie extreme measures. The author has an amazing way of describing her imagination. You really love and hate the characters and you really feel what they are feeling. In times where characters are really suffering it is describes so vividly and accurately that it is so realistic to the reader. The bad guys are so easy to hate. There were times when I wanted to climb into the story just to help. ...more
Reminiscent
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hey
this is JL Spelbrings daughter
im proud of my mom and was happy to be apart of it
id like to see people guess witch one of Ellyssa's siblings is my character!
Also as an added Bit of information the Character Ellyssa was named after my Daughter.
I hope you all find this book thrilling and look forward to the next in the series!
Lynndell
Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley, I received an arc of Perfection by J.L. Spelbring. Perfection is a dystopian, with some science fiction intermingled, in an alternate history where Hitler won World War II. I love the concept and enjoyed the world building and character depth. I am looking forward to Flawed, the second book in this series!
Dennis
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I look forward to the day this book gets published. I will definitely buy it.
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Enamored by the Hitler/Nazi plot lines, hopeful and expectant for a sort of historical fiction/dystopian mix, I snuggled up and started to read this book. Boy, I couldn't have been farther off with this one. Disappointingly, this was more of a romance with some threads of dystopian and Hitler Nazi subplot lines. Ellyssa , the main character, is a genetically engineered prodigy of her Master, the man she calls "Der Vater" and is also referred to as Dr. Hirsh. He is a diabolical mad scientist who ...more
Celeste
This book was originally reviewed on The Book Hookup.

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher,
but that did not influence the review**

First Thoughts: 4 stars Oooh, scary, evil, seriously messed up = just the way I love dystopians. It also had a touch of the supernatural too, so buckle up! The whole idea was scary good, but I felt like I was left wanting just a little bit more.

Plot, Setting, Pacing and Style: This is one messed up world. It’s as if the Nazis won the world war and the mi
BookHookup
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was originally reviewed on The Book Hookup.

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher,
but that did not influence the review**

Rebecca (Unbound Pages)
This review is also on my blog, The Library Canary.

***I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way changed my opinion of the book. The review below is my open and honest opinion.***

I was browsing around Netgalley one day and spotted this book. As soon as I read the synopsis I knew I had to have it. Set in an alternate history where Hitler won the war, this one was sure to be interesting. I requested it and Spencer Hill approved me.
Ellen
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tours
This dystopian novel takes place in the United States approximately a century after the Nazi's won the war. Ellyssa and her genetically engineered brothers and sister are Hitlers idea of perfection. Her father and her creator, Dr. George Hirch, Der Vater, has devoted his life's work to creating the perfect soldier formed in the image Hitler believed to superior - platinum hair, blue eyes, porcelain skin, having superior strength, intelligence, as well as "special abilities." She has lived inside ...more
Nina
Oh dear....I really don't know what to say. I couldn't wait to read Perfection when I received it through the ARC share - I mean, imagine a world where Hitler had succeeded and won the war? It's an understatement to say I was excited. However, halfway through and I just knew it wouldn't get any better than disappointing. I think this is a classic example of a book with an amazing concept that just isn't delivered in a way that makes it interesting.

As I said above, the initial concept is that Hit
Shelly
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Okay, first of all I really enjoyed this book, but in my opinion this is not a dystopian novel, it's more of an alternate world novel. To me, dystopian is the state of the world after a catastrophic or apocalyptic event. This book is more a case of what the world would be like if Hitler had been successful in creating his "perfect" Aryan race.

Ellyssa is a young woman who happens to be one of a small group of children who were created to be "perfect" humans. They have blonde hair and blue eyes an
Caro [The Book Rogue]
"Nazis won the war a century ago" -- I was so sold! The genetically engineered part is nothing new, neither is the super-soldier, but combine it all with the Aryan drive for genises... just thinking about it gave me shivers, and Perfection didn't disappoint.

We jump right into action, with Ellyssa fleeing The Center, where she was bred and born, hunted by a vengeful, psychotic police bitch who wants to kill her instead of bringing her back alive as ordered. Injured and just a breath away from dyi
Valerie
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
4 stars - Chilling and provocative, these characters will get to you.

So I should start be saying that dystopia is not really my genre of choice. It's been a while since I loved one. This one comes close to being loved.

It started slow for me. I think that was because it really took a while for me to make that connection with Ellyssa. But as I think back on it, it's really because Ellyssa was changing. She was robotic and used to hiding her emotions at the beginning of the book. It took a while fo
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

Dystopians have been very hit or miss for me lately, so I went into this one with some trepidation. I’m glad I read this one though because it was great. It was pretty different for a dystopian. I feel like so many are just carbon copies of each other lately, but this one definitely had its own flair. Then it threw in some sci-fi in the form of genetic enhancements and I was sold.

Imagine a world where World War II had gone very differently. A world
Carl Schierhorn
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dystophian lovers
Recommended to Carl by: Browsing
The novel Perfection is a good story, once you battle past the writing in its first three chapters..

The book is the story of Ellyssa, a genetically engineered superwoman of a Hitler's America. (The United States had lost World War II, though we're never told how.)

Nazi engineers had begun to create a super race, filled with blond, blue-eyed people.

Elyssa is one of the most perfect of the perfect. She and a half dozen siblings have been bred with special physical and paranormal traits. Elyssa's is
Catherine Hammill
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
This is a great futuristic concept where appearance and superiority are everything and the only thing keeping you alive depends on the whether you have blond hair and blue eyes. “The master race” creation is an ongoing memory for certain generations but this adaption is a good interpretation of the true intentions of a cruel leader in a time of war.
It is hard to place the book. It is set after WWII which suggests that it isn’t futuristic in the literal sense but rather time where it shows a diff
Paige Bradish
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
I received Perfection by J.L. Spelbring from Spencer Hill Press for review, and this is my honest review.

Perfection is about a girl named Ellyssa who is different. She is considered human but what people who meet her don’t know is that she has the ability to read anyones mind, and she also shows no emotion. Her mission is to get away from her father, and his evil plans. On her mission to get away Ellyssa comes across people who are called Renegades (people who are against Hitler, and his people
Spencer Hill Press: Perfection by J.L Spelbring 1 13 Sep 23, 2012 10:28AM
  • Breaking Glass
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Blood Bound
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Dracian Legacy (Dracian, # 1)
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • Mortality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #1)
  • Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)
  • Masters of the Veil (The Veil Trilogy #1)
  • Radicals (Blood and Fire, #2)
  • Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)
  • My Sister's Reaper (Reaper's Rite, #1)
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • Amarok
  • The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles, #1)
J.L. Spelbring lives in Texas, where she wanders out in the middle of the night to look at the big and bright stars. Besides knocking imaginary bad guys in the head with a keyboard, she enjoys being swept away between the pages of a book, running amuck inside in her own head, pretending she is into running, and hanging out with her kids, who are way too cool for her.

Her novel, Perfection, will be

Perfection (2 books)
  • Flawed (Perfection, #2)