Start by marking “Will & Whit” as Want to Read:
Will & Whit

Will & Whit

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  2,652 Ratings  ·  333 Reviews
Wilhelmina “Will” Huckstep is a creative soul struggling to come to terms with a family tragedy. She crafts whimsical lamps, in part to deal with her fear of the dark. As she wraps up another summer in her mountain town, she longs for unplugged adventures with her fellow creative friends, Autumn, Noel, and Reese. Little does she know that she will get her wish in the form ...more
Published May 7th 2013 by Amulet Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Will & Whit, please sign up.

Lydia Koehler This book is VERY good for middle school and high school students!

Whitney Atkinson
Jul 16, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was ok
mehhhh. skimmed the last 30 pages. not very good or interesting.
Sesana
May 07, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Laura Lee Gulledge quotes Doctor Who and references Firefly in this book. I could almost stop there, since that's how the author fully won me over. But the truth is that she didn't need the references. I like this book, and especially the characters, well enough without.

This is the sort of quiet book where not much happens. At least, there aren't many big events. It's just about the characters, and how they change over the course of the book. We see the most change in the main character, Will (s
Apr 09, 2014 Laura rated it liked it

3.5 Stars

“You know, in the dark, people see what they want to see.”

Will & Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge is a very sweet read. A graphic novel filled with darkness, grief, light, and healing. The black and white illustrations and pages with deep, deep black borders somehow still radiate warmth and light. A story that shows how the light can cut through the darkness and pain with a little help and love from friends and family.

Wilhelmina“Will” is a warm, creative “old-soul” trying to keep busy ove
Renata
Feb 24, 2014 Renata rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya, graphic-novel
I read this one right after Friends with Boys (catchin' up on my realistic GNs) and I felt like this one was also not quite the book its cover & title wanted me to think it was? I again assumed it was a teen romance. (Maybe I just assume everything is a teen romance?) But it's much more of a story about one girl facing her fears and grief through the power of art and friendship. It was also remarkably funny, with a lot of currently-timely pop culture references that I enjoyed, and that I thi ...more
Juliana
Jul 27, 2016 Juliana rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!
Leigh Collazo

Hundreds more reviews like this one at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: I am kind of surprised at the relatively low (3.71) Goodreads rating on this title. Many reviewers said that not enough happens in the book, and I will agree that it is more of a "slice of life" than an action-packed adventure. This is such a beautiful book with the underlying theme of friendship and dealing with grief. I loved this book; it's a must for any middle and high school library.

This is the second graphic novel by Laura
Stephanie Thoen
Mar 13, 2017 Stephanie Thoen rated it liked it
Meh
I loved the art style but the story was lacking.
Nicole
Apr 15, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(Intermediate) Will and Whit

1. I did enjoy this book as the main character is overcoming a difficult event in her life. However, I would not add this book to my personal library. This book deals with loosing a family member and I feel that this is a topic that needs to be approached cautiously with primary children-all children for that matter. This book is also intermediate for my preschoolers. I would recommend this book to my media specialist to add to her collection for 5-6th grade students.
Samantha Tai
Seventeen-year-old Wilhelmina "Will" Huckstep isn't your typical teenager. She has an old-fashioned soul and loves making old things into new ones, especially lamps, which helps keep the darkness at bay. Will is afraid of the dark and the shadows that haunt there. When Hurricane Whitney (Whit) causes widespread power outages, Will must learn to overcome her fears.

I really wanted to like this story and for the most part I did. I really like Will's character as well as her Aunt Ella. I also really
Sara
As a huge fan of Page by Paige, I was super excited to see that Laura Lee Gulledge was putting out a second graphic novel! I was a little sad to see that her second book had less of a visually metaphoric style (since that was one of the things I LOVED about her first work), and a little sad to see that it's not in color (color is actually kind of important in this book, as it was in Page by Paige), BUT...overall, I was not disappointed.

The story in Will & Whit is much more memorable than it
Allegra G
Wow I understand where the author is coming from so much more now after reading Page by Paige. I read this one first and really struggled with its attempts at introspection.

Firstly I really liked the illustrations - all of the 'shadows' were brilliant. I also really enjoyed Will as a character, she had her own thing going on, interests, hobbies, friends, etc.

However, I just didn't gel with her problems or the other characters. I love books with multiple friendship dynamics, when a character ha
Rachel Marie
Wil and Whit Book Review This was a really bizarre graphic novel and my first young adult one. Have to say I'm not a fan. It was a super fast read but felt a little all over the place. One minute its about a carnival the next about a ginormous storm.

Will feels like her life is out of control. She's hiding everything that happened from her best friends Autumn and Noel. Following a family tragedy Will tries to plan a fun summer and connect with her friends.

I actually think this would have been
Cathy
Feb 22, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels, arc
Language: Damned & badass on first two pages and more peppered throughout book (bastard, douche, etc.) Doesn't detract and actually works as characters are seniors in HS, but beware before handing book over to younger audience.

Another effort from Laura Lee G that I found better than her Page by Page, has more of a storyline (main character Will is afraid of the dark), arc and quirky touches: Will likes older/antique things in a modern age, introduces people with 3 things you should know abou
Raina
Jan 28, 2014 Raina rated it really liked it
Gulledge is definitely honing her craft. I really liked how she integrated visual metaphor into Page by Paige, and here it's even more seamlessly integrated into the story. It feels more like a manga convention than a gimmick (masterful though PbyP was).

Still have one major complaint, though. Amulet SERIOUSLY needs to start publishing Gulledge in color. Gulledge's work (all two books) seems to always have an Art theme, but more than that, color is often mentioned/a plot point in her stories. Gr
Meredith
Apr 05, 2014 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, gn, middle, cville
Well, I knew I was going to read this one, since I loved her previous (Page by Paige) - and also I knew this one had some local scenery in it. And boy did it! Every couple of pages I saw a familiar scene - look, there's Lee Park, and the library, and the free speech wall! And Chaps and she mentions Clark Elementary! (One local quibble: a girl who grew up here would KNOW the Ix Building.) So, like a rock band mentioning the name of the town they're playing that night, she automatically gets the h ...more
Esutterlin
Jul 03, 2014 Esutterlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I loved this black and white graphic novel about Wilhelmina, who is called Will for short, loves art and puns, but is afraid of the dark since both her parents died in an accident the year before. Whit is short for Whitney, the storm that blows through town and changes the lives of several teens who learn about themselves as they creatively face the challenges and inconveniences of living life "unplugged," during the power outage. Will and Gulledge tell you "three things" about several of the ch ...more
Shannon Grieshaber
A very sweet story about a very interesting girl - Wilhelmina, Will for short. She's a teen with an old soul who likes old things. Lucky for her, she lives with her aunt who owns an antique store. Will can feed her old soul with old things every day. She can also find material for her art, which is creating lamps (although she'd be the last person to call herself an artist). Sadly for Will, she lives with her aunt because her parents died a year ago. Ever since then, Will has been followed by sh ...more
Diane S ☔
Jan 23, 2014 Diane S ☔ rated it liked it
Shelves: my-exploration
Graphic novels are so not my thing. This, however, had a very quirky character. Liked that she was afraid of the dark and chose to makes lamps. Had many kooky friends, things jumped from on the thing to another. Too much was jammed in but it was easy to read, not one of those graphics were the bubble words are all over the pages and so much is put on a page that it makes one dizzy to look at. No, I still do not love graphics but I didn't hate this one. That is the best I can do.
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 5 stars
Art: 5 stars

Outstanding YA graphic novel about a girl struggling to come to terms with the death of her parents which occurred almost a year ago. Her hobby is making lamps, and the book is filled with all these literary and visual metaphors of light, dark, and shadows. The pacing is just right and the frames flow smoothly. Dialogue feels natural, with just a hint of Southern dialect thrown in. Some of the best sequential art I've seen.
Katey Thompson
Jun 10, 2014 Katey Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphics, wishlist
WOW! Now here's a great, fun, thought provoking, beautiful book. Laura Lee, count me among your fans. Your book made me laugh. And cry. That is what I look for and love in a story. Do yourselves a favour people: read this book!
Apparantly, it's being converted to a play. I am eager to see the results.
Kristin
Dec 22, 2015 Kristin rated it did not like it
I know: one star, but the writing was full of platitudes and just plain shitty plotting. The whole thing lacked technique. The illustrations were great, but this was no good. In particular, there was a problematic subplot about race.
Dawei Cunningham
Oct 06, 2015 Dawei Cunningham rated it it was ok
Pretty good realistic graphic novel teach you that you can't hold onto things/fears and to let go in life; can't be scared to letting go and everything,everyone, and it's okay to be scared sometimes.
Annie Oosterwyk
Nov 11, 2014 Annie Oosterwyk rated it really liked it
Lovely, art, romance, adventure, creativity, family and friendship.
Heather
Feb 08, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
funny, cute, sweet
Ashley Kempkes
A little pretentious about technology, but I love the drawings of the shadows and the lamp/light sculptures!
Pam
Jan 07, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great coming of age graphic novel - or maybe this was the first.
Emily
Jun 04, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
Neat art and a sweet story about healing and friendship. Plus, there's a yummy-looking recipe for blue chocolate chip cookies at the end of the book!
Mycala
May 07, 2017 Mycala rated it it was ok
When I got to the part where Will was wrapped up in her creative work and one of her friends told her she needed a boyfriend, I was infuriated. Great, just what young adults need -- to think they're some kind of freak if they passionately follow their artistic inclinations (creatives do tend to obsess over their work, you know.) How about allowing them to express themselves and realize they don't need another person to complete them? Geez! After that point, I kept noticing what I saw as pressure ...more
Bostonlotus
Mar 22, 2017 Bostonlotus rated it liked it
Okay, this was cute. The sketches were well-done. The story, bittersweet when we reached the actual premise. However, I believe this one would be forgettable for most because it remained surface-level for about 90% of the story. We met several sweet characters, but the plot didn't really reveal itself through them. Wil's grief never showed itself until the end. Nobody had a clue what she was feeling, including the reader. It's not that we didn't care; we weren't given the opportunity to care. Li ...more
there are different traditions guidelines 1 1 Mar 02, 2017 10:57PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #59 Will & Whit by Laura Lee Gulledge 1 1 May 15, 2015 07:39PM
2014 Hub Reading ...: Will & Whit 5 29 May 18, 2014 04:54PM
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Dogs of War
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • The Year of the Beasts
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Americus
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Donner Dinner Party (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #3)
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010

edit biographydelete
Biography
Laura Lee Gulledge is an artist, author, and educator based out of Charlottesville, VA. She's the writer and illustrator of the YA graphic novels Will & Whit and Page by Paige, for which she was nominated for both the Eisner and Harvey Awards. Laura Lee also does school visits, workshops, and creative coaching with a Masters Degree in Art Education.

Laura Lee is cu
More about Laura Lee Gulledge...

“We're human. All we are are beautiful contradictions.” 1 likes
“Whether it's death or life or a fence, you see things how you choose to see them.” 0 likes