Start by marking “Courage to Change” as Want to Read:
Courage to Change

Courage to Change

The daily meditations, reminders, and prayers from Courage to Change help families encourage their recovering alcoholic loved ones and point to Al-Anon's impact as a vital part of recovery.
Published January 1st 1992 by Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters Inc., U.S.

To ask other readers questions about Courage to Change, please sign up.
Jennifer Jessop Try Thriftbooks.com or used book sales. I have found several inexpensive copies that way.

Trixie Fontaine
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
After two years, I think I've read most of this book; its format is the "daily inspiration" type with a reading for each day of the year. Yes, I sometimes read some of the text with a touch of sarcasm in my voice, but one of the awesome things I've learned in Al-Anon is to TAKE WHAT YOU LIKE AND LEAVE THE REST. Most of these readings are big sanity-savers for me, and a few of them are bookmarked as life-saving in times of stress, etc.

If anyone who is NOT a 12-stepper is reading my notes on this
Christine CC
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: al-anon-recovery
I'll keep my Al-Anon literature reviews very simple. I learn that I am not alone; that I only have to 'control' myself; and that life becomes brighter and lighter when I 'let go and let god.' The program has changed my life in ways unimaginable.
Lori Quinn
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a morning essential. I could not live without it--wise and inspiring.
Lindsay Nixon
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific daily reader for anyone who struggles with self-esteem, OCD, depression, codependency, addiction in any form (internet, shopping, food, booze, gambling, etc) or someone who lives with a person struggling with addiction or dependency.
Sally Whiteside
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books.
olga-maria
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This one is changing & saving my life, one day at a time...
i've been reading this recovery lit now and then for many years. its the best ever, light borderline nerdy touch, not preachy, and not Goddy. God as we know is different depending on if we belong to a small sect in Thousand Oaks or are a way fun church lady who sells vintage items for incredibly cheap. i like my advice without controversy, so i stick to this unappealingly colored little number for daily thoughts.
Marni Tagami
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone, especially those involved with an addict
Recommended to Marni by: Al-Anon
Daily meditations on how to face your loved one's addiction and not let it control you. Do not let co-dependence rule your life. You can love the addict, but you don't have to accept the behavior. You don't necessarily have to leave the addict; you do need to know how to cope and not have your own life swallowed up by the addict. It's a great little devotional that encourages, instructs, and reminds you of your own strengths.
Barbara
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
Excellent daily message book with brief positive messages of self acceptance for each day of the year. Aimed toward family & friends of alcoholics, but also applicable to those seriously affected by addiction in others -- the ones compelled to "help" more than is helpful to self or even effective for the addicted friends/family.

Can teach "love addicts" and other codependent people to take care of themselves, first and foremost after possibly spending years thinking they were less important t
Shea
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
I guess I'll always be reading this book! I now pick it every day and almost every daily meditation is useful. I sometimes peruse by topic but then I tend to overdo it and put it down with nothing to focus on. Eternally grateful for Al-Anon and it's literature. Too simple to be so brilliant!
Samantha
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful day-to-day reminder to keep your serenity no matter what life throws at you.
Jeff
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great daily reader for anyone who has an alcoholic family member, friend or co-worker.
Vicki Allen
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meditations
Helped me through a very difficult time in my life and I continue to turn to it when I need a new perspective within myself.
Charlotte  Wrenn
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
This is a jewel of a book that stays on my bedside.
Chris Gager
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every day something great to read. My first Alanon reader. Date is for the beginning.
Romeo Ballayan
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alcohol ruins dreams, families, friendships, relationships, and kills all hopes. This disease is devastating. This book has truly been a blessing to find. The daily teachings are so on point and full of passion, wisdom, and accuracy. Even if you aren’t dealing with an alcoholic or the effects of alcoholism, I truly suggest you get this book anyways! It is totally worth it on so many levels!
Siobhain
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
So thankful for the day that I accompanied a friend to her first Al Anon meeting and was introduced to the 12 steps and Al Anon materials. I have been helped by every bit of Al Anon approved material that I have read. I truly believe the 12 steps are for everyone and are the key to living an emotionally mature and healthy life. I will be reading and rereading these books for the rest of my life.
Jonathan Tennis
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great daily reader for those with friends and/or family suffering from the effects of addiction. After reading it cover to cover, I’ve found it useful to open it to any page at random and see what wisdom it contains. But far be it from me to tell anyone else how to read it.
Ellen Stone
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by my counselor...LOVE IT. I’m not in Al-Anon, but starting my day reading the page for the day has been tremendously helpful to look at myself more in depth and to become more spiritually fit as I stay sober one day at a time,
Suzanne Singman
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Al-anon. a wonderful way to live a life. Even if you didn't have someone on in your life affected by alcohol, this is a great program for living. How to focus on yourself and the things you can control. How to let go and let the universe. I do love the program.
Jennifer Jessop
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book two years in a row and will probably read it again next year. It is very beneficial not only for readers whose lives have been affected in some way by alcoholism, but also for anyone recovering from their hurts, hang-ups, and habits.
Olive
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
It almost seems silly to say that I've "read" this and checked it off my list. This is a daily reader and while I've read it nearly daily for a few years... I'm always re-reading it. 4 stars but only because I have another in the Al-Anon literature that I favor more ('Hope for Today').
Debra
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Debra by: Mary Jane
Help me a lot during a rough time
Cathy
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good daily advice for people who are in families where someone is struggling with addictions.
Walleye23
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A great how to live your life in the chaos of alcoholism.
Annette
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good guide to life's important knowledge.
Murlee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book helped changed me and the way I look at people. So much self help information.
Chelsea Mason
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite meditation book, at least during this part of my journey. I get such a good thought to think about and work on throughout the day.
Mari
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love it
Melinda Burge
Jul 29, 2019 is currently reading it
This is my go-to now for pretty much everything. As I lay my head on the pillow at night, I do a daily reading. Always soothes the savage beast!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
  • As Bill Sees It: The A.A. Way of Life...Selected Writings of A.A.'s Co-Founder
  • Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • Living Sober
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • The Breakout Principle: How to Activate the Natural Trigger That Maximizes Creativity, Athletic Performance, Productivity, and Personal Well-Being
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Road Less Traveled and Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families (Recovery Classics Edition)
  • Struggle for Intimacy
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse