Start by marking “Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)

Lord of the Abbey

(Lords of Avalon #1)

Confirmed spinster, Lady Rowena Locke, seeks aid from Harry Bellingham, the Earl of Glaston and head of the renowned Avalon Society, a historical and paranormal Society, to find the lost Glastonbury treasures. Harry is not only interested in the treasure hidden by the last Abbot of Glastonbury before the dissolution of the Abbey, but he is also interested in Rowena.

When H
Published March 2nd 2012 by K. R. Richards

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Abbey

Start your review of Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)
Vicki
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lady Rowena Locke lives with her Aunt at Stonedown manor. When Harry Bellingham the new Earl of Glaston decides to make Glastonbury his home they become neighbors. Lady Rowena has quite the thirst for history and has discovered a letter in her home that has led her to believe that there is treasure around the Abbey. She had met Harry's father but had not been able to interest him in her research request. Rowena hoped for cooperation more from his son.

Lord of the Abbey by K.R. Richards is like b
J. Kahele
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Lady Rowena is a spinster and proud of it. She had made it her life duty to find the secret treasures of the Abbey. When Harry,the Earl of Glaston buys the Abbey ruins, Rowena is intrigued to meet with him to share the details, to see if he can help her find the hidden treasures.

Harry is instantly smitten with Lady Rowena at first sight and as they spend more time together, they spark up a sexy love affair.

This was a well-written book, however, there were way too many characters that took away
Joan
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good plot, too much sex

I like historical novels. This story had an excellent underlying plot about hiding the treasure of Glastonbury Abbey. a Catholic Church caught in the reformation of England in 1539. The abbot of Glastonbury, knowing he would probably be murdered once the Protestants broke in, was determined to hide the most valuable articles of the Church, especially having to do with Jesus, until such time as they could be sent to the pope. He packed them up and entrusted them into the ca
Julie Woith
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story line and the characters. There was good suspense and character development. But, they depicted Jesus the Christ as human with children and not the deity He is. This upset me. Otherwise it was a story worth reading.
Dawn
4 stars. First, I would like to say that if you are easily offended by thoughts that may differ from your understanding of Jesus and the bible, this is not for you. It probably wont be for you anyway because there is a tremendous amount of sex as well. I for one am not offended by either. This book is fiction, a story, and an enjoyable one in my opinion.

As I do not like retelling the story in my reviews I will give a brief description of the theme. Basically it's about the discovering and locati
✨ Gramy ✨
The plot and characters surrounding the history and genealogy were captivating. Even the H/H relationship garnered an avid interest, although it was much too steamy for my taste.

In a nutshell, it was 'too much'. There were too many details about the artifacts, too many details about constant sex, and disturbing claims about the family of Jesus.

There was not enough communication, not enough character building, and very little about the faire they spent so much time and effort organizing.

I found
Reenie
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story, the romance and history that the author put in. The h/h were very likable characters, as well as the supporting roles. The touch of paranormal was good, not over the top.

There were a few things that probably someone editing would pick up. The phrase "man parts" during the love scenes kind of irritated me as well as the comparison to Bottichelli's Venus (many time! once is enough).

For a first book, this was a great effort and I will definately go on the next in the series. T
Barbara
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Cast of characters was interesting if not a bit too many. Love story between main characters was sweet if not too explicit. All the sex was not really necessary for the story. The book was a slow start for me, but by the end I was glad I hung with it. It was interesting the complex ancestry line the author tried to develop; I felt it would have been more believable if it had been simplified to the Arthurian legend only. I would recommend this read to someone interested in historical fiction.
Elaine
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this on Amazon as a free book and it was AMAZING. I could not put it down. I just could not help feel the love between Harry and Rowena. But she had an amazing Aunt and her friend Sir John. Harry had a wonderful army of friends and really what I would more than likely call brothers if nothing else. I look forward to continuing this series. It had the love, the romance as well as the twist and turns you did not expect. Enjoy!
Craig Parkinson
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
would of been a fairly good book, but too much unrequired sex for my liking.
janet warner
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a wonderful tale of love and history.I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.

E.M. Prazeman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
There's a lot to like and I can see why this book got a lot of five star ratings. Having said that, I wasn't feeling the chemistry between the characters that are supposed to be romantically involved. All the secrets, including the mystery, were pretty much laid out in the opening and then filled in, so I spent a lot of time waiting for the characters to discover what I already know. I'm sure that's fine for a lot of people, but when there's a mystery plot or subplot, personally I'd like there t ...more
Nancy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Lord of the Abbey by K R Richards 3 stars

I persevered with this story mainly because of the multiple mystery threads that ran through it and because I was intrigued about how the author would tie in ‘Holy Grail’ aspects to the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the Tudor era. There was certainly plenty of action for the large cast of characters, most of whom were very likeable and lots of finds by the end of the story. The references to friends and relatives of Jesus at the end seemed rushed and
Patricia
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, adventure, kindle
Delightful! This first in a series weaves a great story of historical facts (the 1539 dissolution of the abbeys by
Henry VIII), myths and legends about Glastonbury and Avalon, and holy relics. This forms the basis for the 1834 story about Rowena, Harry, and the Avalon Society in search of long lost treasures. Using old letters, scrolls in ancient languages and maps the group seeks for the artifacts while being pursued by mysterious men in long brown coats and broad brimmed hats.

Ironically, the ma
Maria Matthews
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lady Rowena was a woman before her time, strong, intelligent with a mind of her own. Her mystery past incident which left her wary of men shone through from the start so when it was finally revealed the story became more real and her conflicting feelings for Harry more believable. If there was a downside to the story it was that their was so many minor characters who sort of flitted in and out that they became an irritation to the story rather than an aid. But on the whole, I enjoyed the book, l ...more
Sojourner McConnell
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I loved the main characters Lady Rowena Locke and Harry Bellingham the Earl of Glaston.
The history, the rumors and the archaeology were all perfectly in place. that kept it ever so interesting.
Then there was the romance. It was sweet and it was pretty racy for the time that they lived in. It made me very happy to read this book and get to know all these wonderful characters. Now to get the series and get to know about them all.

A wonderful start to a series that will keep
Kim
Jan 01, 2014 rated it did not like it

So bummed! I love historical fiction, especially during this time period. It started out as a really good book. It quickly dissolved into a book that is not my taste... The story line was turned into a book about sex. The idea of the original plot was great. I wish it stayed with the idea of hunting historical objects, etc. there was plenty of info there. I found the turn distasteful. I didn't finish reading it.
Markus H
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I would have loved to give the book more stars. There's just too much, too explicit sex in it. It does NOTHING for the story. Which is quite a good one. But this overload of sex is annoying. Once OK, twice is already too much. Here we have more....the story could be hist fiction at it's best. Characters are well described if only the author would have focused on the story. And not set his focus on the carnal relation between 2 of the MCs
Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Elizabeth by: amazon
Shelves: ditched
What started off as a GREAT historical fiction novel quickly turned into a smutty romance novel. I was disappointed because it had such a great plot line, but was not up for wading through the graphic romance scenes and ditched it about halfway through when it showed no signs of improvement. This is not a book I'd recommend to someone looking for historical fiction; it's definitely a historical romance.
Mary
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! This book has everything I love...English location, a mystery and lovely characters. There is Arthurian lore, an abbey and hidden treasures. Add to this hidden tunnels (I felt like I was Nancy Drew discovering the hidden staircase.) Chivalry, honor and romance rounded the tale. Can't wait to read the second in the trilogy.
Codi Gary
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
This was a great story filled with wonderful description and historical intrigue (I love the history of Britain, especially the time of Tudor England and regency is one of my favorite romantic genres.) The characters were wonderfully written and the romance left a smile on my face. So glad I picked up Book 2! Can't wait to keep reading this series!
Susie Marie
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
GREATH BOOK YOU GOT TO READ ,TO KNOW HOW GOOD IS IS ,IT IS THE LORDS OF AVALON SERIES.
Rosina
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Characters well done. Good research for the time period. Story flowed quite easily. Really liked a lot of characters. Will definitely continue with the series.
George
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, kindle
Nobles of the Realm, love, mystery, ancient artifacts--what else is there to want?
Joni
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lord of the Abbey

A well-written historical romance, murder and mystery novel. Great chemistry between the characters, a great first book in the Lords of Avalon series.
Monica
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun read, with great characters and a good story.
Judith
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Lord of the Abby

I'll give a 3.5. I got into the book right away. I like historical romances and mystery. The premise was good, but I got bogged down with all the narratives on the items found. I also kept getting confused as to who was who since there were so many characters introduced. I was totally disappointed with the ending. The way it was wrapped up. All in all, I liked Harry and Rowena. There love story was sweet. I didn't particularly care for all the sex scenes, but if the story is good
Kath
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this book FREE from Amazon, it’s the first I’ve read from this author.
Wow it’s been a fantastic story full of mystery and intrigue, add to that history and sizzling romance. It’s been a wonderful journey so far, looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
I highly recommend this series.
Maureen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Snore. This had potential to be a really great story but, the characters are flat; the wording is odd. I gave up at 36% which is highly unusual for me to not finish a book. And I didn't care for the heresy.
Christine Hayes
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Good read
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 2 8 Dec 26, 2019 05:48PM
FREE Books, Givea...: Free Historical Romance 1 3 Dec 26, 2019 10:58AM
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 1 11 Dec 28, 2018 05:05AM
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 1 11 May 11, 2018 06:34PM
Readers That Love...: Lord of the Abbey FREE Hist. Romance 3 9 Oct 01, 2017 04:09PM
Free Romance Book...: Free Historical Romance 1 23 Sep 29, 2017 04:34PM
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 1 6 Sep 29, 2017 04:30PM

• How Not to Worry
  • One Wild Dawn (The Northumberland Nine #1)
  • Guarding Her Secret
  • Captive of the Corsairs (Heart of the Corsairs, #1)
  • Wild Irish Heart (Mystic Cove, #1)
  • Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords, #1)
  • Dark Under the Cover of Night (The Kingdom of the East Angles #1)
  • A Dangerous Temptation (Dangerous, #1)
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
  • The Darkland (The Master Knights Of Connaught #1)
  • Falling for the Highlander (Highland Brides, #4)
  • A Time Of End (The Executioner Knights #4)
  • Chained in Time (Rutter Books)
  • Watson (The Ghosts of Culloden Moor #18)
  • Return to Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #4)
  • The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2)
  • My Sister's Intended
  • The Farrier's Daughter (Irish Witch #1)
K. R. Richards likes to garden, loves history and metaphysical studies, and is a serious collector of crystals, minerals and gemstones. She researches 16th-19th Century art and furniture, for items that come through the Antique shop where she works part-time.

She is the author of the Lords of Avalon series, a historical romance series with a hint of the paranormal, and Decker’s Fate, Liam's Spell,

Lords of Avalon (4 books)
  • Lords of Honor (Lords of Avalon #2)
  • Lords of Retribution (Lords of Avalon #3)
  • Lords of Atonement (Lords of Avalon #4)