Start by marking “Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)

Lord of the Abbey (Lords of Avalon #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  317 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Confirmed spinster, Lady Rowena Locke, seeks aid from Harry Bellingham, the Earl of Glaston and head of the renowned Avalon Society, a historical and paranormal Society, to find the lost Glastonbury treasures. Harry is not only interested in the treasure hidden by the last Abbot of Glastonbury before the dissolution of the Abbey, but he is also interested in Rowena.

When H
Published March 2nd 2012 by K. R. Richards

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Abbey

Vicki
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lady Rowena Locke lives with her Aunt at Stonedown manor. When Harry Bellingham the new Earl of Glaston decides to make Glastonbury his home they become neighbors. Lady Rowena has quite the thirst for history and has discovered a letter in her home that has led her to believe that there is treasure around the Abbey. She had met Harry's father but had not been able to interest him in her research request. Rowena hoped for cooperation more from his son.

Lord of the Abbey by K.R. Richards is like b
J. Kahele
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Lady Rowena is a spinster and proud of it. She had made it her life duty to find the secret treasures of the Abbey. When Harry,the Earl of Glaston buys the Abbey ruins, Rowena is intrigued to meet with him to share the details, to see if he can help her find the hidden treasures.

Harry is instantly smitten with Lady Rowena at first sight and as they spend more time together, they spark up a sexy love affair.

This was a well-written book, however, there were way too many characters that took away
Joan
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good plot, too much sex

I like historical novels. This story had an excellent underlying plot about hiding the treasure of Glastonbury Abbey. a Catholic Church caught in the reformation of England in 1539. The abbot of Glastonbury, knowing he would probably be murdered once the Protestants broke in, was determined to hide the most valuable articles of the Church, especially having to do with Jesus, until such time as they could be sent to the pope. He packed them up and entrusted them into the ca
Julie Woith
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story line and the characters. There was good suspense and character development. But, they depicted Jesus the Christ as human with children and not the deity He is. This upset me. Otherwise it was a story worth reading.
Dawn
4 stars. First, I would like to say that if you are easily offended by thoughts that may differ from your understanding of Jesus and the bible, this is not for you. It probably wont be for you anyway because there is a tremendous amount of sex as well. I for one am not offended by either. This book is fiction, a story, and an enjoyable one in my opinion.

As I do not like retelling the story in my reviews I will give a brief description of the theme. Basically it's about the discovering and locati
Reenie
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story, the romance and history that the author put in. The h/h were very likable characters, as well as the supporting roles. The touch of paranormal was good, not over the top.

There were a few things that probably someone editing would pick up. The phrase "man parts" during the love scenes kind of irritated me as well as the comparison to Bottichelli's Venus (many time! once is enough).

For a first book, this was a great effort and I will definately go on the next in the series. T
Barbara
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Cast of characters was interesting if not a bit too many. Love story between main characters was sweet if not too explicit. All the sex was not really necessary for the story. The book was a slow start for me, but by the end I was glad I hung with it. It was interesting the complex ancestry line the author tried to develop; I felt it would have been more believable if it had been simplified to the Arthurian legend only. I would recommend this read to someone interested in historical fiction.
Elaine
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this on Amazon as a free book and it was AMAZING. I could not put it down. I just could not help feel the love between Harry and Rowena. But she had an amazing Aunt and her friend Sir John. Harry had a wonderful army of friends and really what I would more than likely call brothers if nothing else. I look forward to continuing this series. It had the love, the romance as well as the twist and turns you did not expect. Enjoy!
Becky
Feb 12, 2017 added it
For a new author, she's done a great job. There are some grammar bugs, but, I'm sure she'll correct those over time.
Craig Parkinson
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
would of been a fairly good book, but too much unrequired sex for my liking.
janet warner
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a wonderful tale of love and history.I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.

E.M. Prazeman
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
There's a lot to like and I can see why this book got a lot of five star ratings. Having said that, I wasn't feeling the chemistry between the characters that are supposed to be romantically involved. All the secrets, including the mystery, were pretty much laid out in the opening and then filled in, so I spent a lot of time waiting for the characters to discover what I already know. I'm sure that's fine for a lot of people, but when there's a mystery plot or subplot, personally I'd like there t ...more
Nancy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Lord of the Abbey by K R Richards 3 stars

I persevered with this story mainly because of the multiple mystery threads that ran through it and because I was intrigued about how the author would tie in ‘Holy Grail’ aspects to the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the Tudor era. There was certainly plenty of action for the large cast of characters, most of whom were very likeable and lots of finds by the end of the story. The references to friends and relatives of Jesus at the end seemed rushed and
Patricia
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, mystery, kindle
Delightful! This first in a series weaves a great story of historical facts (the 1539 dissolution of the abbeys by
Henry VIII), myths and legends about Glastonbury and Avalon, and holy relics. This forms the basis for the 1834 story about Rowena, Harry, and the Avalon Society in search of long lost treasures. Using old letters, scrolls in ancient languages and maps the group seeks for the artifacts while being pursued by mysterious men in long brown coats and broad brimmed hats.

Ironically, the ma
Maria Matthews
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lady Rowena was a woman before her time, strong, intelligent with a mind of her own. Her mystery past incident which left her wary of men shone through from the start so when it was finally revealed the story became more real and her conflicting feelings for Harry more believable. If there was a downside to the story it was that their was so many minor characters who sort of flitted in and out that they became an irritation to the story rather than an aid. But on the whole, I enjoyed the book, l ...more
Sojourner McConnell
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I loved the main characters Lady Rowena Locke and Harry Bellingham the Earl of Glaston.
The history, the rumors and the archaeology were all perfectly in place. that kept it ever so interesting.
Then there was the romance. It was sweet and it was pretty racy for the time that they lived in. It made me very happy to read this book and get to know all these wonderful characters. Now to get the series and get to know about them all.

A wonderful start to a series that will keep
Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Elizabeth by: amazon
Shelves: ditched
What started off as a GREAT historical fiction novel quickly turned into a smutty romance novel. I was disappointed because it had such a great plot line, but was not up for wading through the graphic romance scenes and ditched it about halfway through when it showed no signs of improvement. This is not a book I'd recommend to someone looking for historical fiction; it's definitely a historical romance.
Kim
Jan 01, 2014 rated it did not like it

So bummed! I love historical fiction, especially during this time period. It started out as a really good book. It quickly dissolved into a book that is not my taste... The story line was turned into a book about sex. The idea of the original plot was great. I wish it stayed with the idea of hunting historical objects, etc. there was plenty of info there. I found the turn distasteful. I didn't finish reading it.
Markus H
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I would have loved to give the book more stars. There's just too much, too explicit sex in it. It does NOTHING for the story. Which is quite a good one. But this overload of sex is annoying. Once OK, twice is already too much. Here we have more....the story could be hist fiction at it's best. Characters are well described if only the author would have focused on the story. And not set his focus on the carnal relation between 2 of the MCs
Codi Gary
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
This was a great story filled with wonderful description and historical intrigue (I love the history of Britain, especially the time of Tudor England and regency is one of my favorite romantic genres.) The characters were wonderfully written and the romance left a smile on my face. So glad I picked up Book 2! Can't wait to keep reading this series!
Mary
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great read! This book has everything I love...English location, a mystery and lovely characters. There is Arthurian lore, an abbey and hidden treasures. Add to this hidden tunnels (I felt like I was Nancy Drew discovering the hidden staircase.) Chivalry, honor and romance rounded the tale. Can't wait to read the second in the trilogy.
Susie Marie
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
GREATH BOOK YOU GOT TO READ ,TO KNOW HOW GOOD IS IS ,IT IS THE LORDS OF AVALON SERIES.
George
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, kindle
Nobles of the Realm, love, mystery, ancient artifacts--what else is there to want?
Rosina
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this book. Characters well done. Good research for the time period. Story flowed quite easily. Really liked a lot of characters. Will definitely continue with the series.
Joni
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lord of the Abbey

A well-written historical romance, murder and mystery novel. Great chemistry between the characters, a great first book in the Lords of Avalon series.
Monica
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun read, with great characters and a good story.
Kath
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this book FREE from Amazon, it’s the first I’ve read from this author.
Wow it’s been a fantastic story full of mystery and intrigue, add to that history and sizzling romance. It’s been a wonderful journey so far, looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
I highly recommend this series.
Maureen
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Snore. This had potential to be a really great story but, the characters are flat; the wording is odd. I gave up at 36% which is highly unusual for me to not finish a book. And I didn't care for the heresy.
Lena
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
The story to me was too close to The DaVinci Code, except for the distracting romance/lust sub-plot that did not support or add to the overall plot, just detracted. I felt like it was a historical romance knock-off or "Let's-jump-on-popular-books'-ideas," similar to the slew of vampire/werewolf books there are now also due to the popularity of another series of books. (But in defense of the author, I did not notice the copyright date; this may pre-date the other).

I found the convention errors (
Kat
The book had promise. A historical romance mixed with a Da Vinci Code style treasure hunt. I made it 75% on that alone and gave up.

The book was simply...unrealistic. Although the main characters had a decent back story the lacked personality. This deficiency was amplified by excessively good communication skills by a characters - not true to real life and particularly romance novels.

In addition, the author took care to fully write out every detail and fully explain the scene - while this charac
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 1 11 May 11, 2018 06:34PM
Readers That Love...: Lord of the Abbey FREE Hist. Romance 3 9 Oct 01, 2017 04:09PM
Free Romance Book...: Free Historical Romance 1 23 Sep 29, 2017 04:34PM
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 1 6 Sep 29, 2017 04:30PM
Readers That Love...: Free Historical Romance 1 1 Mar 24, 2017 10:09AM
Bargain Basement: Free Historical Romance 1 6 Mar 24, 2017 10:00AM
Free Romance Book...: Free Historical Romance 1 17 Mar 24, 2017 09:58AM
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • GRINGA - In the Clutches of a Ruthless Drug-Lord (#3)
  • The Bride Price (An African Romance, #1)
  • Once Upon a Christmas Carol
  • The Eighth Sea
  • The Lantern, A Renaissance Mystery
  • Dragonfly Creek (Firefly Hollow, #3)
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • The Spellbound Spirit (The Curious Collectibles #2)
  • Bride of the Wild
  • Gold Rush Brides: Emmy
  • The Claiming
  • The Captive
  • The Dragon Hour
  • Violet's Mail Order Husband (Montana Brides #1)
  • The Kodiak Clan (Laid Bear, #2)
  • Chicago's Headmistress
  • Binding Spell (Tales of the Latter Kingdoms, #3)
K. R. Richards likes to garden, loves history and metaphysical studies, and is a serious collector of crystals, minerals and gemstones. She researches 16th-19th Century art and furniture, for items that come through the Antique shop where she works part-time.

She is the author of the Lords of Avalon series, a historical romance series with a hint of the paranormal, and Decker’s Fate, Liam's Spell,
More about K.R. Richards

Lords of Avalon (4 books)
  • Lords of Honor (Lords of Avalon #2)
  • Lords of Retribution (Lords of Avalon #3)
  • Lords of Atonement (Lords of Avalon #4)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Trouble (St. James, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Absolution
    $3.99 $1.99
  • My Dearest Love (Longing for Home)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Choices (The Love's Valley #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Secrets in Summer: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Walkin' on Clouds (Angels & Outlaws, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love #1)
  • The Secret Wife
  • OBSESSION
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Chances (The Love's Valley #3)
  • Nearlyweds
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Sweet Resolve (Lucky, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Promises (The Love's Valley #5)