Start by marking “Black Magic Academy” as Want to Read:
Black Magic Academy

Black Magic Academy

Mildred doesn't like black magic. But her mother was once valedictorian of Black Magic Academy, so her aunts insist she needs to follow in her footsteps and become one too.

Mildred doesn't want to be part of the popular crowd. Nor does she care about her "death-enemy." And she certainly has no interest in murderous spells. But if the teachers catch on that she's actually a
Published January 12th 2012 by Emily Martha Sorensen

To ask other readers questions about Black Magic Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Magic Academy

Pennie
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First thing is first. This fairytale/fantasy novel is nothing like the Harry Potter books, but in saying that, anyone who enjoys this magical genre world, would certainly appreciate Emily M. Sorensen's writings. The author pens out a very different imaginative scale to that of J.K.Rowling but being classed in the same style of fantasy artistic composition.

The main character 'Mildred' isn't really into Black Magic, but because of pressure given my her aunt that Mildrid's mom used to be the valedi
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
What a fun little romp of a book. I like witches. I like fairy tales turned on their head. I like stories about girls, and friendships between girls. Would totally continue reading if this was a series.
Lora Shouse
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is essentially a story about a young witch who gets sent to witch school. Specifically, she gets sent to the prestigious Black Magic Academy, where white magic and good witches aren’t allowed.

Problem is, she is a good witch.

Although I haven’t read all the stories of magical schools and academies that are out there, my experience of the ones I have read is that for all the magic and occasionally gross things a young witch or wizard might encounter there, they usually feel safe, at least to t
Jan Niblock
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story to read. It moved quickly and you felt for Mildred who just did not fit in with her aunts. I was totally surprised by a few of the things that happened (no spoilers). Mildred is a very interesting character and her attitude and view of life was very refreshing. Loved how she brought in other fairy tales with a twist.
Gay
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enchanting story about a girl sent to a school that goes against her beliefs. Mildred has been sheltered all her life. Mostly ignored. After going to Black Magic Academy, she finds out a lot about her self and her father, that she didn't know. She managed to make a death enemy on her first day there. Can she survive this school and what new awaits her. I really liked this story. I can't wait to read the next one.
Emily Pennington
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Mildred is apparently the only good witch in a school for black magic. Her aunts were disappointed in her not taking after her valedictorian mother. She was told that she only existed to further the family’s glory and she herself was insignificant. On that happy note, they magicked her off to school, much against her wishes.

On the very first day, she discovered one of her roommates was her “death-enemy”. Their mothers, also death-enemies, had killed each other and the same was undoubtedly expec
Seraphia
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for my unbiased review of it.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. The beginning was a great start and had me really engaged and wanting to learn more about Mildred and her family. She's a good witch being raised by her aunts who are all evil witches but she's finally sent to school because they believe that it is time for her to do so. There are several moments throughout the book of where I wished that there was more detail into various scenes
Catherine
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a gem! It was a fast read, and actually pretty cute. It's definitely a book I would have read when I was in middle school and I would have loved it then.

Poor Mildred is sent off by her aunts to Black Magic Academy, to learn how to be an evil witch, complete with death enemies, curses, and school bullies. She immediately forms a blood feud with the daughter of the witch who was death enemies with her own m
Barbara Desmond
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Got an ARC from Net Galley.

Yes I confess that I'm a sucker for books about witches. If I smell a hint of witchiness about a book I'll read it. This was a really cute story about a witch named Mildred. She's raised by her aunts and has an infamous mother who died. She's sent to Black Magic Academy but while she's there she wonders whether or not she's really cut out to be a bad witch.

This was a really quick read. For those of you who have the skill of reading a book in one sitting this book shoul
Koeur
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it

Publisher: Emily Martha Sorensen

Publishing Date: January 2012

ISBN: 9781468081497

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 3.4/5

Publishers Description: Mildred doesn’t like black magic. But her mother was once valedictorian of Black Magic Academy, so her aunts insist she needs to follow in her footsteps and become one too.

Review: This was a fun, short read. I liked the characters and the premise. The novel would have been much better served had the world building been expand
Emma
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: r4r-and-arc
I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book started out strong, but then soon fell a little short for me. It didn't feel polished, had a lot of grammatical errors and felt rushed, more like the first draft of a book. With some work this book could be amazing. But as it is, it was really rushed and could do with some more explanations at points.

The characters were good but at times I was getting confused between some of them, especially Mildred's A
Cora
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book was utterly delightful.

What if all bad witches weren't all bad? What if some bad witches desperately want to be good? Mildred is one such witch. Isolated in Ebony Drake with her aunts (hags and other assorted nasties), Mildred has always felt different. When one aunt gets her a coveted spot at Black Magic Academy, Mildred is less than thrilled, but she does her best.

This was a wonderful story filled with surprises an
Angel Hatfield
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mildred's family was a family of bad witches. Mildred was a good person and didn't want to be a bad witch. She was sent to a school for witches. In the school, Mildred was not a part of the popular crowd as her mother had been, but she didn't care.
This book was just an enjoyable read, with witches, giants, curses, death enemy, and so much more. I enjoyed this plot and overall story, but more than anything I enjoyed getting to know Mildred. I recommend.
**I received an ARC of this story in exchan
Anna Elsa
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I actually kind of liked it... It started really slow and I almost gave up but I gave it a shot and I am glad I did because I liked the middle and the ending. It is about a girl who is sent to Black Magic Academy by her powerful witch aunt although she started out badly she got a bit better but a series of events makes her question herself as a bad witch. Although it took it's time to read it, I enjoyed it but I do say that it helps to have a good imagination. All in all it was a good book.
Katarina
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say I didn't love this book. I thought it was ok, and I did read the whole thing, hoping I'd like it more.

I felt the beginning was a little boring and confusing. Pretty disjointed. And that got worse later on. The last third of the book was too fast paced, and it didn't make sense to me. Anything after she goes on the errand was just strange and didn't make sense in relation to the rest of the book.
Steffi
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Got this book as a free download from amazon.

The book started really slow and I considered not reading it at all. But i continued and then it became okay. It wasn't a great book and the plot wasn't really interesting or exiting. It just dragged on after some time. The characters weren't really developed either.
Sean Talbot
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
a very easy read that had some fun parts. the characters were a bit outlandish and really very much like fairytales.

the witches and the fact that they tend take them ugly and magic has no consequences is hard to take. the characters weren't bad but the theme of the book shows a few interesting ideas.

ugly names which are strange make this book entertaining as well as hard to take at times.
Jenni Schell
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I want to be able to say that I really enjoyed this book, but I had a hard time getting into it. I tried several times and did finish but it took some effort. The premise is fantastic but it just didn't live up to my expectations.
Scott Ryan
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ha ha! Like Topaz.

This starts out slowly, and certainly young adultish; I was cheering for Mildred by the end. And Topaz is amusing, although I would not really want to be around her. Was fun.
Eileen
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute book and an easy read. I liked how the author integrated several fairy tales into the story. I found some editing issues, but they weren't terribly glaring, so I didn't feel like they distracted from the story.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: witches
*received a copy from netgallery*

this book was so cute and just such an effortless read. i hope we get a sequel so that we can really delve further! also!! the mildred/topaz dynamic was so enjoyable
Michael Reed Davison
It was fun to spend an afternoon reading this. The main character is endearing, and Emily Martha Sorensen is a master of dialogue and world-building.
Crystal
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this. It's a fun light read and I'm looking forward to a sequel, hoping to see some things develop more fully.
Mindy
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Black magic or not

This is a story about a misfit and how she survives to find her place in the world. When you are raised by evil witches can you survive when you aren't evil?
Zoë Whittle
The author of this book is my cousin, so of course I got I signed copy. I really liked some of her ideas, but I felt like she could have developed them more fully. I'm waiting for the sequal.
Jamie