Start by marking “Crumbs: A Lesbian Hansel and Gretel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)” as Want to Read:
Crumbs: A Lesbian Hansel and Gretel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)

Crumbs: A Lesbian Hansel and Gretel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Greta's never ventured beyond the refuge of the Heap. Outside, the Ragers lurk, ever hungry and hunting. But Greta and her brother, half-starved and now alone, must risk death for the dream of safety they hope to find within the metal forest. Once there, nothing is as it seems: in the confines of a crumbling old candy factory, the woman who rescues them with sweet words an ...more
Published (first published March 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Crumbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crumbs

Nikki
Crumbs is a fascinating rewrite of the well known Hansel and Gretel story. Elora Bishop brings a twist to the story, setting it in a post apocalyptic world, with a disease turning people into -- basically -- zombies. It's very short, and the main story is quite small, but the set-up is good enough to carry a bigger story. Mind you, I'm glad that this sticks to being about a girl and her brother finding safety, and about the girl falling in live -- there's plenty of zombie novels out there and no ...more
Lindley Walter-smith
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Haunting and creepy and oh-so-good. Hansel and Gretel, with its horrors of starvation and abandonment and betrayal, transfers brilliantly to a post-apocalyptic setting. Best of all, though, is the tenderness that shines through it. Greta is a really appealing heroine, with her fears and "fragility" warring with her courage and impulses to love and hope. Beautifully written and leaving me hungry for more!
Madeline Franklin
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, brilliant, inventive re-telling of "Hansel & Gretel." Highly, highly recommended for anyone who enjoys strong, beautiful voices and clever storytelling.
skadoosh
This post-apocalyptic zombie story is less of a retelling of Hansel and Gretel than a story that uses some familiar motifs and unfortunately does very little with them.

The strengths of this short story were its fast pace and its brilliant set-up. The world is inhabited by zombies — known as Ragers — which threaten Greta and her family; in this situation, the concept of parents abandoning their children is explored in a complex and nuanced manner. How does the threat of zombies affect this decisi
Robert Beveridge
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy/paranormal romance fans
Elora Bishop, Crumbs (Elora Bishop, 2012)

A short from a series called Sappho's Fables, and if the rest of them are anything like this one I'll be digging in sooner rather than later. Cumbs is a retold version of Hansel and Gretel that takes place in a world that seems about midway between 28 Days Later... and Jonathan Maberry's Benny Imura books. Greta and her brother (want to take a stab at his name?) live with their parents in the Heap, a post-apocalyptic collective that has taken root in a de
Nicole
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Take a futuristic version of Hansel and Gretel, cross it with the Hunger Games, the Walking Dead, and cast “Jenny Schecter” from the L-Word as Gretel (well, Jenny in the first season, before she went all crazy) and you can imagine the scene laid out in Crumbs. Basically the (short) story starts out with a starving family seeking a way out of their situation. After an impulsive decision by moms and pops to leave and find help, the brother and sister, named Hans and Gretel, are alone. This is a ...more
Karoliina
I freaking loved Hansel and Gretel's mother and the post-apocalyptic candy factory, but this story didn't have the fairy tale atmosphere I was expecting it to have. It was very preoccupied with making sense of things and giving reasonable explanations to what's going on, which just isn't necessary in a fairy tale. Weird stuff occurs in Grimm's tales all the time and none of it tends to make much sense. Rather the focus is on what the characters are like and what they can learn on their journeys. ...more
Samantha Boyette
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I got no complaints on this one. From start to finish this new telling of Hansel and Gretta sucked me in and kept me page turning long after I should have set it down for the night. It's such a simple, great concept that I'm smacking my head that I didn't think to write something so awesome.

Greta starts out as a fairly whiny and helpless character who grows a backbone in a very short time when she is forced to leave her home and face the ragers that threaten the world around them. When she and
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Civilization has crashed. There are some humans but many Ragers, once-humans who live to kill. Han and his sister Greta flee their living place after their parents leave. They then come across a one-time bakery with two humans living there. Sabine keeps trying to get Greta t eat more and more of the sweet pies, cakes, etc.

Greta becomes suspicious and then she sees that a Rager is actually in the building but captured. The question becomes why is there and what is going to happen to Greta and her
Cab
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, e-books, fairytales
I think of the three recent fairytales I have read in the few days this one on my favorite. It took me a little while to equate the “Ragers” with Zombies but that’s exactly what they are and if Hanzel and Gretel want to live another day they need to get somewhere safe.

The question is…. When they make it to the candy factory, have they really found their safe haven or have they landed into a different type of trouble.

If you need something short and interesting to read, I would recommend this sto
Sophia Martin
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novella. I'm not a fan of zombie fiction, so if it lost a star it may be more due to my tastes than the quality. The writing was good, and by that I mean I didn't feel the urge to break out my red pen, which is unusual. The situation was tense, in a good way, and kept me engaged. The romance was a little too sweet for my tastes, but it worked in the end, especially in the scene with the oven. Overall, a fun read.
Jean Doolittle
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm always interested in variations on folk and fairy tales and I figured this would have a different twist. It was a short novel and it had a promising if nebulous beginning in some post-apocalyptic time. The love story seemed forced and irrelevant to the rest of the story, however. The price was right though--
I found this book for free for my Kindle at http://www.freebooksifter.com/?c=16&a...
Chris
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Elora Bishop and Sarah Diemer fans (and anyone else)
Shelves: 2012-read-in
A dystopian Hansel and Gretel from one of my favourite authors? Yes, please!

The momentum and suspicion that Elora Bishop builds into her tale, keeping us as innocent and "uneducated" as Greta, pushes you down the hill through the story toward the end. Chased all the way by a horde of Ragers.

Stark, uncertain but hopeful, this further cements my love for this author's work.
Sara
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Crumbs was a beautiful, twisted, enchanting retelling of Hansel and Gretel. Elora Bishop blends together a fairy tale with a post-apocalyptic zombie world and makes magic. If you enjoy stories filled with sweets or thrive on fear, you will love this story. My only complaint was that it should have been longer!
InaOkami
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
It was more mysterious than I expected. I'm used to Bishop's magical retelling and fantastical atmosphere but it was good nonetheless. I really enjoyed the post-apocalyptic setting, the idea was brilliant and refreshing.
And the writing style is as beautiful as ever.
Sandy
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairytale Hansel and Gretel, only with lesbians and zombies. It's more of an extended short story, which is probably why I'm not feeling 5-star about it. What was there was good, it just didn't feel like enough. Good story for teens.
Amanda
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like all of Elora's amazing story telling, this one blew me away. The combination of post-apocalyptic, near-zombie, twists with sparkles, sugar, love and flourish. Yes, I adored it.
Kim
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Any story is made better with love.
lov2laf
Good spin on an old tale.
jen
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq-aspects
this was boring. nothing else to say
Alyssa
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
what a wonderful story! zombies, hansel and gretal, and budding sapphic love all in one!
Susan

Interesting post-apocalyptic Hansel and Gretal!
Queen
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this retake on Hansel and Gretel. It's so different from the original! Also the dystopian aspect really added to the story. The only thing I regret is that it's not long enough!
B. Hale
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the new take on this classic! Sabine had me worried lol
Meagan Hansen
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian, fantasy, horror, lgbt
Totally not what I was expecting. That's not a bad thing...just not what I was expecting.
Jackie
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dropped
I couldn't finish this. I found the main female character quite annoying. For being an adult, nineteen years of age I believe, she acted like such a child.

Julie
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
FTR, this is a short story, not a book. Not particularly well-written, no memorable characters, and a plot that is thin and forced. I liked the twist ending even though it felt rushed.
Caroline
  • Seven: A Lesbian Snow White
  • Far
  • Roses and Thorns: Beauty and the Beast Retold
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales
  • Once upon a Dyke (New Exploits, #1)
  • A Hole in the World
  • Gay Pride and Prejudice
  • Promises, Promises
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary (Career-Girl, #1)
  • The Girls: Sappho Goes to Hollywood
  • Divine Touched (Vaelandrian Goddesses, #1)
  • Armchair Detective
  • After Mrs Hamilton
  • I Was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space v.1 #1
Elora Bishop is a queer author of magical lesbian love stories. You will often find her wearing soft skirts, curled up in a sunny window (much like a cat), Austen in hand, cup of tea (two cream, one sugar) nearby, always piping hot. She is bewitched by all beautiful things–but, most of all, by her beloved wife. She writes lesbian YA as Sarah Diemer.
More about Elora Bishop...

Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales (5 books)
  • Seven: A Lesbian Snow White
  • Braided: A Lesbian Rapunzel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)
  • Sappho's Fables, Volume 1: Three Lesbian Fairy Tale Novellas
  • Shimmer: A Lesbian Rumpelstiltskin (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)