Start by marking “From Sin to Amazing Grace: Discovering the Queer Christ” as Want to Read:
From Sin to Amazing Grace: Discovering the Queer Christ

From Sin to Amazing Grace: Discovering the Queer Christ

* Unique synthesis of liberation, queer and postcolonial theologians over the last few decades within a unified theological framework
* Will advance the inclusion of LGBT people within church and society
* Useful resource for all people who struggle to make sense of the traditional Christian doctrines of sin and grace in the 21st century

Throughout the history of Christianity
Published March 2012 by Seabury Books

To ask other readers questions about From Sin to Amazing Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Sin to Amazing Grace

Start your review of From Sin to Amazing Grace: Discovering the Queer Christ
Davita
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, Cheng is hilarious. His section on the idolatry of heterosexuality is iconic. Also this text is super approachable and accessible and talks about the mutuality of BDSM. What more could you want out of a theology book?
Chris brown
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad as an intro I expected a lot more far as detail, explanation, and depth goes. It's very good as introduction to the topics outlined and the umbrella topic itself, but again, I felt like there should have been tremendously more depth. chapters one through four became repetitive and I thought once I reached chapter 5 I would get the crux of the material but it seemed to go in a direction where the research felt loosely associated with the text.

I would love to see a second edition with add
Cisa Payuyo
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy ruminating on parallels between Cheng's Queer Christ and my perspective of Christ as a Babaylan.
Chris
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, theology
Nobody critiques forensic atonement theories like a lawyer. In autobiographical asides, Cheng describes his legal training, his years of BigLaw striving and dissatisfaction prior to his conversion, and even how he continued in practice during his doctoral study. Thus, his constructive critique of western penal substitution: It relies on a logic of collective punishment antithetical to modern law, and one uniquely dangerous to queer folks, who remain subject to collective sanction under many lega ...more
Sandy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I have reached a point in my spiritual journey where I just can't buy into the Augustinian "crime model" of faith anymore. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to replace it yet. I had high hopes that this book would help me with that. Part I was very helpful in giving me the vocabulary to talk about the old system (crime model with emphasis on acquittal and rehabilitation). He also talked about Irenaeus, Bonaventure and Barth as the basis for a new model of sin and grace. Then I got to Part ...more
E.
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting, quick read. Part one critiques the crime-based model of sin and grace from the perspective of a Christ-centered, theosis model that draws on Eastern Orthodox theology for a contemporary, progressive view.

The second part is an exploration of seven images of the Queer Christ and the corresponding sin and grace associated with each image. This also serves as a handy summary of various forms of queer theology.

The most interesting to me was model seven: The Hybrid Christ drawing on p
Corrie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read another of Cheng's books, Radical Love, and enjoyed it. I thought it would be nice to read another book of his. I enjoyed the discussion of sin as it pertains to the queer community. I think this is an important read for all queer Christians and clergy.
Tanja Walker
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While this book is written by a gay Asian American theologian, his view of sin and grace are helpful to people of all genders, ethnic groups, sexual orientations, etc., as he moves away from a punishment/atonement model to an immaturity/deification mode.
Denise Sudbeck
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
As other works by Cheng, this is a comprehensive and adaptable primer on queer Christology which stands up over time.
Lynn Young
Jan 16, 2014
Sarah Bowers
Jun 11, 2016
K.M.
rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2016

• The Cross and the Lynching Tree
  • Imaginary Friend
  • From Queer To Christ: My Journey Into the Light
  • The Luminous Darkness
  • Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 5: Yoda's Secret War
  • Meet Cute
  • Magic for Liars
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Murder in Midtown (Louise Faulk #2)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars: Obi-Wan & Anakin
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • My Favorite Half-Night Stand
  • The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)