Start by marking “Showtime” as Want to Read:
Showtime

Showtime

Family drama can be found anywhere: in kitchens, in cafes. Derelict hotels, showground rides. Even dungeons far below ruined Hungarian castles. (Okay, especially in Hungarian dungeons.)

Old family fights can go on forever, especially if you’re undead. If an opportunity came to save someone else’s family, the way you couldn’t save your own, would you take it?

Your family mi
Paperback, Twelve Planets Collection, 124 pages
Published March 2012 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about Showtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showtime

Start your review of Showtime
Marg
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

Last year I read and reviewed Love and Romanpunk by Tansy Rayner Roberts and Nightsiders by Sue Isle, and other authors are involved in the project include Margo Lanagan, Cat Sparks and more! The best news that has happened since last year is that the books that have previously been published are now available on ebook so people outside of Australia can get hold of them. If nothing else, I would suggest getting hold of Love and Romanpunk at the very least (mainly because that is where I started)
Mark Webb
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review forms part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge.

Showtime by Narrelle M. Harris is one of the Twelve Planets series published by Twelfth Planet Press (12 boutique collections of stories by Australian women writers). It is made up of four shorter stories, including:

- Stalemate
- Thrall
- The Truth About Brains
- Showtime

Continuing the Twelve Planets trend of very differently themed collections, Showtime uses traditional horror characters (ghosts, z
Stephanie
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Showtime by Narelle M. Harris is the fifth volume in Twelfth Planet Press’s Twelve Planets series. The stories in this volume aren’t linked, in terms of settings and characters, but they do contain some thematic linkage, in that they all deal in some way with families and feature supernatural elements.

The first story in the collection is Stalemate. This is a deceptive story, which on the surface features a mother and daughter confronting one another in a kitchen. There’s an emotional gutpunch th
Thoraiya
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm horribly sick with the flu. Just want to lie in bed hating everyone and everything. Heaven help the GoodReads rating of whatever book I pick up when I'm feeling this foul, right?

Wrong. It turns out "Showtime" was exactly the distraction I needed.

The opening story of this collection, "Stalemate," seems at first to be simple, a quietly desperate situation of domestic miscommunication.

It isn't. It's creepy. It's horrific. It's wonderful.

It's my first taste of Narrelle M Harris and my favourite
Julie
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
Short but sweet, Showtime is a nice collection of short stories from Melbourne author Narrelle Harris.
With a supernatural theme that focuses on relationships, the four stories are a quick, fun and interesting read.

My favourite is the title story 'Showtime', for the continuing adventures of Gary and Lissa (stars of the most excellent 'The Opposite Of Life'), though 'The Truth About Brains' comes a close second.
Pick it up if you like a good dose of the supernatural, a little bit of humour* and m
MELISSA
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome storytelling in all four short stories .I particulary loved reading Showtime ,but i do have a solf spot for Gary and Lissa.S9o well written an aboulute joy to read .
I encourage every one to contact Twelthplanet press and buy Showtime and check out what else is on offer !
Steven Paulsen
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic little collection! Here be ghosts, vampires and zombies, but don’t expect hackneyed tropes. Narrelle Harris puts her own unique spin on these stories to great effect.
Emma
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creepy in only the best way short stories can be.
Bree T
Showtime is yet another of the Twelfth Planets Press series and I was lucky enough to win a copy of this one on Goodreads. This is the second lot of short stories from this collection that I’ve read now, the first being Love And Romanpunk, by Tansy Rayner Roberts. This is a collection of four stories, which are unrelated.

In the first story, a young woman is sitting at the table in her kitchen and fails to notice for some time that her mother has entered the kitchen, because the likelihood of tha
Alexandra
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big fan of horror, so I am not the ideal reader for this collection which, although not overwhelmingly scary, uses horror tropes to tell its stories. Nonetheless, it is a quite readable quartet.

The first story, "Stalemate," is probably the scariest, and that's because it is the most mundane. Which is saying something, because three out of four of these stories are defined by being set in domestic settings (by which I mean only non-exotic, like another planet or a medieval castle). It's
Ju Transcendancing
This review is an exerpt of the full revoew posted at my blog The Conversationalist. It is presented as part of my contribution to the Australian Women Writers Challenge 2016, and as part of the Journey Through the Twelve Planets Reading Challenge.
------------------------------------------
And here is the moment you’ve all been waiting for, I found a horror story that was truly chilling but that I really enjoyed reading and loved the hell out of! Maybe I can do this reading horror thing afterall
Tsana Dolichva
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Showtime by Narrelle M Harris is another of Twelfth Planet Press’s Twelve Planets collections. The stories in it are thematically linked — supernatural creatures such as vampires, zombies and ghosts feature — but there isn’t a linking setting or common characters as in Nightsiders, Bad Power or Love and Romanpunk.

The general theme throughout the four stories is of subverting some of the tropes associated with the aforementioned supernatural creatures. There’s either a bit of a twist or something
Bren
S.B. Wright
Showtime is the fifth book in the Twelve Planets series published by Twelfth Planet Press – a series showcasing the quality and variety of Australian women’s speculative fiction through short collections of short stories and novella’s.

They are a chance for each of the invited authors to showcase their talent, to have a little fun, to produce work they might not get the freedom to produce elsewhere.

Showtime is an excellent example of that. I found the title a perfect fit for the collection and ha
pauliree
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't normally read short stories, i am a big fan of the novel to be honest, but as I know Narelle, and think she is quite funny, I was prepared to risk all and fork out for her collection of short tales from Twelfth Planet Press. I enjoyed each story immensely and was impressed by the craft, especially when I found out one of the stories was from a set of novels. You didn't need previous knowledge of the novels to get immersed in the world created and all it did was make me want to buy the no ...more
Julie Bozza
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, macabre
Narrelle is a truly excellent story-teller, and there is much to be said for all four of these pieces. They are the kind of fiction where the ideas, images and ramifications linger in the mind for a while as you ponder.

My two favourites, if I must choose, were a ghost story that chills in more significant ways than I'd expected, and a vampire story in which a centuries-old vampire finds that the peasants aren't what they used to be.

Nicely done, 'Relle!
Anna Hepworth
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-five
Small book, lots to think about in the four short stories. I love the way that Harris has inverted and perverted a range of monster tropes, up to and including 'but the human is the real monster'.

I think "Thrall" is probably the best of the stories - looking at the way that the life of a Vampire is impacted by the modern world, and by the education of the "unwashed masses" that they have taken advantage of.
Linda Fast
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I received this book free from Good Reads First Reads. Thank you Goodreads for introducing me to Narrelle M. Harris and her book Showtime. Showtime consists of 4 short horror stories which are not terribly scarey unless perhaps you are a person in the story. The stories are well written and very imaginative and a delight to read.
Kyla Ward
A charming selection of stories in which universal family problems are refracted through supernatural lenses. Ms Harris excels in drawing complexity and depth from the ostensibly mundane. My pick is "Thrall", the tale of a traditional Eastern European vampire going three rounds with the modern world. ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.
Rivqa
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A very enjoyable taste of Harris's brand of paranormal. "Thrall" has to be the best vampire fiction I've read since Salvage (although it's hardly comparable in style). ...more
Mira
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Serendipitous find. Will look out for more in the Twelve Planet range...

www.twelfthplanetpress.com
Sally
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bloody brilliant! I don't always like collections of short stories but this collection by Narrelle Harris, one of my favourite authors, is fabulous. ...more
Jessica
Ashley
Mar 23, 2012
Ruby Replogle
Mar 24, 2012
I grew up in a home bursting with books. My father was in the Royal Australian Air Force – we moved roughly every three years – and my parents were passionate advocates of reading and the importance of access to a library of ideas, no matter where we lived.

Between a childhood spent on the move yet steeped in literature, and a naturally dramatic personality, it’s no surprise I became a storyteller.