Start by marking “People of the Black Sun (People of the Longhouse #4; North America's Forgotten Past #20)” as Want to Read:

People of the Black Sun (People of the Longhouse #4)

Dekanawida has become known as “The Sky Messenger,” a prophet of immense power, and Hiawento is his Speaker. Thousands now believe in the Great Law of Peace and have joined the League. But they are still being harassed by marauding warriors from the People of the Mountain who steadfastly refuse to adopt the Great Law.
Dekanawida has prophesied destruction if the warfare con
Published October 16th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about People of the Black Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Black Sun

Theresa
Oct 16, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
People of the Black Sun: A People of the Longhouse Novel (Iroquois #4)
by W. Michael Gear, Kathleen O'Neal Gear
I have to read this book a second time immediately because of the scope and nature of the story. I am blown away by the imagery of the majestic scope of the battles, and adventures that have occurred to the characters with in the long house series.
I had drawn out hope that Cord had survived the ambush of his war party after their desperate salvation of the People of the Yellowtail villa
Rick
Aug 05, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great finish to the series based on the real history of the Iriquoi in upstate New York. The Gears are one of my favorites.
Jean
Sep 16, 2013 Jean added it
Shelves: from-the-pl
I've been following this series. Fascinated by the archeo-Indian cultures.
Theresa
May 24, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to finish this book since I used it as a fall back when I didn’t have another PB to read, so I've forgotten some of the early bits. I did like the story though. It wasn't as gory as the previous ones and had some interesting action and twisted plot lines.

The ending was great in that the real bad guys got killed or taken care of as needed. The good guys sort of had a HEA, though some were iffy and others were getting there. But the tribes themselves seem on the right path
Gaile
Dec 05, 2016 Gaile rated it really liked it
This conclude the Ancient history series. This one is full of death, blood and gore but Sky Messenger persists in his message of peace. It is also a suspenseful book, keeping you on your toes while reading it. When the white man arrived The Iroquois Nation consisted of seven tribes. They had political meetings in which women were included and wrote out a constitution which our forefathers borrowed in forming our government. All this traces back to the fictitious story in this book.
Beth
May 12, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
I thought the series would have been better served with three books instead of four. It seemed to drag on little bit by the time I got through this one. The writing is nonetheless mostly enjoyable. Also a wrap up back to the first book as Sky Messenger crosses the bridge would have been nice. I thought it was weird when book one started with that and then went back to his childhood. The final book should have closed his circle of life.
Sue
Jan 21, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
The war between the tribes is over, let the peace chiefs reign. Since I enjoy reading historical fiction, I will add this 3-book series to anyone's must read list. The Gear's are good authors and anyone would enjoy any of their books. I am hopeful that they can continue to produce new hard copy is this digital age.
J. Ewbank
Nov 06, 2012 J. Ewbank rated it it was amazing
This book by Gear and Gear is one of a series of books they have written. This is indeed the best series of books by an author(s) that I have read. For those who have read the other books in this particular series, if you don't cry like I did when I finished it, you have missed something. A wonderful read.
J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"
Patricia
Mar 08, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
Very good conclusion to the People of the Longhouse series. Other books were a little confusing, but it all came together in this one. Great story and I love that it all happened right here where I live!!!
Amber
Nov 21, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
This is the last in this particular series...I really liked it and found it hard to put down. These books by Kathleen and Michael Gear are really good! I love all the books by them..They are archeologists so they get the facts right but make it an interesting story too.
Debby
Jan 29, 2013 Debby rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I've never been disappointed by a book by the Gears.
Virginia Winfield
Dec 25, 2012 Virginia Winfield rated it liked it
Kind of disappointed in the ending. Sometimes hard to read. Could be confusing.
Sharon
Jul 30, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know its a good book when you feel like your saying goodbye to a good friend. The book wrapped the series up smoothly. I'll reread this series in the future.
Mkittysamom
Sep 17, 2013 Mkittysamom rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I want to read more peles books. I really like the historical parts that tie into the story, it feels so real!
Edie
Oct 26, 2012 Edie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Most people pass these books by but I really get caught up in them. I find it amazing to imagine what life during these time must have been like.
Estelle
Dec 21, 2013 Estelle rated it liked it
I always like O'Neal and Gear's books, but this seemed a bit overly long.
Alyssa
Oct 16, 2012 Alyssa added it
So emotional. I cried & cried.
Darren
Oct 08, 2012 Darren rated it it was amazing
Excellent ending to a fantastic series. My desires find its only fault being too short, lol.
Mark
Apr 03, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Book # 4 of a great series.
Emily Fretz
Jan 03, 2013 Emily Fretz rated it it was amazing
love this series
Sue
Feb 10, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic end to this series of 4 books on the beginning of the Iriquois nation. I want to start all 4 books over and read them again and again!
Emma
Sep 19, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic storytelling for the Gears. It's been several years since I've read them; I've always found their books well researched & intriguing, needless to say nothings changed. I'm glad for that.
Tom
Dec 04, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
Probably the best of the four-book series. It really keeps your attention, and the accounts of Iroquois customs and beliefs continue to be interesting.
Bruce Crawford
Mar 27, 2016 Bruce Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic end to a great four book story. Wonderful read based on the history of the Iroquois Indian nation.
Michael
Feb 23, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
Almost done with this book. It is a great conclusion to the series. A lot of things happen that make sense after the fact but that I was not able to predict.
Cecilia
Oct 30, 2013 Cecilia rated it really liked it
A moving and stirring end to The People of the Longhouse series about the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy
Roger Jebe
Mar 02, 2013 Roger Jebe rated it it was amazing
I really liked this conclusion to the series. I rushed through it and then was so disappointed that there wasn't more to read. The old problem of a really good book.
Roxie Gallinger
Oct 28, 2014 Roxie Gallinger rated it it was amazing
another great book on native history
Karl
Karl rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Carleen
Carleen rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Dawn Country (People of the Longhouse #2; North America's Forgotten Past #18)
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • A Sorrow in Our Heart: The Life of Tecumseh
  • The Oatman Massacre: A Tale of Desert Captivity and Survival
  • The Sacred Stones (The First Americans, #5)
  • The Man Who Killed the Deer
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Giving Birth to Thunder, Sleeping with His Daughter
  • Sitting Bull
  • The Cahokian
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • Manituana
My professional life began in the dark basement of the Museum of Cultural History in Los Angeles, where I was cataloguing three-hundred-year-old Guatemalan saint carvings. I quit this fascinating job and moved to Wyoming to work for the U.S. Department of the Interior as a historian and archaeologist. When I finally understood the error of my ways I moved to Wyoming and started writing books. Sinc ...more
More about Kathleen O'Neal Gear...

People of the Longhouse (4 books)
  • People of the Longhouse (People of the Longhouse #1; North America's Forgotten Past #17)
  • The Broken Land (People of the Longhouse #3; North America's Forgotten Past #19)