Start by marking “The Gemini Virus” as Want to Read:
The Gemini Virus

Read Excerpt

The Gemini Virus

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Bob Easton thinks he has a cold. Before he dies in agony, four days later, he infects dozens of people. Local health agencies become quickly overwhelmed by the sick and dying and beg the CDC for help. Dr. Michael Beck and Cara Porter, a member of the Epidemic Intelligence Service, race to identify the deadly bug. They can't cure it until they know what it is.

Dennis and And
Published October 2nd 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gemini Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gemini Virus

Taylor Knight
This book started off really cool but around page 100, I was super bored.
The author used the real names of President Obama and other cabinet members and that was really when I lost my interest. I wasn't convinced with the concept and I didn't buy the symptoms of the "Gemini Virus". And I really couldn't have cared less about the characters. I wasn't really into the writing style. Personally, I thought it was flat and boring.
I wish I could say this book was better but I just didn't care about a
Irvin Kelly
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a phenomenal book.
Kim
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay! I have found another great author! I will definitely be looking at reading more of Wil Mara's books...bonus, he is very good as his own audio reader!! The only thing I really didn't like was the use of living political figures such as Obama and other government officials having a role in the action. I don't mind real Presidents or other such figures showing up in historical fiction, like someone having an encounter with Abe Lincoln or something, when the story is set in that time frame, but ...more
Janis
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A reasonably good pandemic disaster novel. The characters are well developed and behaved liked people would- run for the hills! Lots of good science and , the disease is vanquished but not everyone lives. Excellent read
Karen Bullock
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good, very descriptive and definitely not the book to read while snacking or after a big meal. The thought of some virus like this story hitting the air today is tremendously frightening. This would please both science fiction and horror fans alike.
Lizzy L.
The Gemini Virus is about an outbreak of brand new virus with horrific and devastating results. At the center is world renown epidemiologist with the Atlanta CDC, who is tasked to figure out what the virus is, how it's contracted and spreading so quickly. His assistant, Cara Porter, is attempting to understand how the virus works and to help develop an anti-viral.

This book is riddled with amateurish and cliched mistakes, starting with a very weak and meandering plot, poor execution and cliched s
Book Twirps
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like my horror/thriller books. I like zombies and ghosts and things that go bump in the night, but the one thing that scares me more than anything is a viral outbreak. I’m not talking about a zombie virus (though, I must admit, that would be pretty friggin intense), I’m talking the realistic ones (ie: Swine flu, SARS, Bird flu) the kind that if not caught soon enough can spread like wild fire and infect and kill thousands. Now, luckily (or maybe I should say so far), the aforementioned viruses ...more
Frank Errington
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aside from being a pretty good Texas Hold-Em Tournament player, Wil Mara writes an excellent disaster novel.

Wil and I met at Bally's poker room a few years ago and wound up splitting the pot that day with a few other players.

I found Wil to be an affable guy and I wound up buying a copy of his first disaster novel, Wave, about a tsunami that hits Long Beach Island. That was a great story and I found his writing style to be very readable and compelling.

Since then, I've been asking when the next "d
Becky
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
It begins like the flu - coughing, sneezing, aching, and chills. Before long, though, your body is covered in blisters and you start to go out of your mind. Death is almost certain and no one knows how to stop it. As the infection spreads from New Jersey to New York and Massachusetts then across the country, the CDC and WHO scramble to learn as much as they can about the virus. For Dennis and his family the only solution is to get out of town, as far away from the spreading sickness as they can. ...more
Jan Schwartz
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"OMG, this is gross!" I found myself exclaiming before I even finished the prologue. Yet, I couldn't put this book down. I had to find out what happened next!

Do you have a strong stomach?

I don't know about you but the last time I had the flu and thoughtlessly uttered, "I just wanna die," this isn't what I had in mind. Author Wil Mara brings the misery of the flu together with the fear of some unknown pathogen that ends in complete madness and death to a whole new level.

First you start sneezing
Carol
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was very excited to go back to a genre that I used to love but this one did not hit all the bases. At the beginning of the story the list of symptoms encouraged me to read on.

Then I laughed. I wasn’t convinced of the horror. I was hoping that this book would rise to the challenge of breaking the mode of most medical disaster stories. I stopped reading them because so many of them stick to a formula and are so predictable. It is not interesting to read a progression of incidents. I found mysel
Stefanie Tina
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spine-tingling Medical Thriller
I have always been drawn to medical thrillers, so The Gemini Virus is right up my alley. As someone who catches everything, I am relieved that this book is fiction because I wouldn’t stand a chance. I read it in two days and can’t remember the last time I had the desire or the time to get lost in a book.

From page one, I was hooked and couldn’t put the book down. Connecting with the authentic characters, I felt a loss for each person who died. The graphic descripti
Kari
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok, if I could give this 4.5 stars I would.
What I love about Mara's writing are his characters. He makes every one of them believable and you absolutely want to know what is going to happen to them. In this book Mara weaves a tale of a virus that plagues the earth killing off 95%+ of the population. In particular it follows one typically american nuclear family living in the suburbs. Mom, Dad, two kids, dog, picket fence, you get the idea. It also follows the CDC agents assigned to the case. I
drey
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, if you’re looking for a book that’s good at giving you the complete heebie-jeebies, without any of the crazy apocalyptic world-is-coming-to-an-end scenarios, then definitely pick this one up. Or maybe I’m wrong, and this is a crazy apocalyptic world-is-coming-to-an-end scenario…

In any case, this is so not how I would want to go – with my insides boiling up, pus boils exploding all over, going completely mad, and infecting everyone I barely breathe on. Sounds like a party, huh? *shudder* I’
Lynda Coker
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
My first word of caution when reading this book is, don't be munching on your favorite snack when you begin. I'm warning you, if you do, you'll never eat those snacks again because every time you see them you'll be reminded of the first few pages and the gagging reflect will start over again. I'm not kidding! The mere description of how this organism kills is nothing short of retching...

On the up-beat, this is a fast-moving story that will require your full attention. There is, of course, the ti
Brad Tull
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a waste of time reading this book was. I read fiction to escape reality, so when on page 107 the author decides to use the real names of the current President, Obama and various other cabinet members, my interest went down hill real quick. I don't care what party you do or don't favor, I don't want real people in my fiction. However, creating fictional characters of these particular roles wouldn't have helped much. I've read a lot of books like this, an this is by far the worst one I've eve ...more
Sue Anne
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First you sneeze, then you die. It had me at that. I read the first few chapters and was really caught up in the story. I threw the book in my carryon bag to read on my flight to Disneyland. When I left Disneyland I had managed to catch, you got it a cold! First you sneeze, then you die, not good reading material when you feel like that's exactly what's happening to you! First you sneeze then you die keep staring at me from my bedside table daring me to pick it up and finish it. I did finally mu ...more
Dayle (the literary llama)
I really struggled to get through this one. I was completely with it up till about pg 100 and then it just splintered into to many different places. I really wished it would have stayed with Beck and followed his detective work and learned more about his character, I felt it would have grounded the story and made it more interesting. My main problem though and what really took me "out of the story" was when we started with President Obama. I felt it would have been better with an imaginary Presi ...more
Shelley Fearn
Reminiscent of a Michael Cricton novel, The Gemini Virus finds Dr. Michael Beck of the Centers of Disease Control searching for the origin and source of the mysterious virus that is killing thousands beginning with the population of a small New Jersey city.

With the possibility of unknown viruses wreaking havoc among the world's population more real than we probably know, this fictionalized account of an outbreak is not for the faint of heart. If you like being scared or creeped out you'll find
Kelly Sternberg
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the genre. Bringing us a page-turner from the very beginning, Mara incorporates believable characters, realistic virus symptoms and descriptions, a modern day setting, psychological horror, gruesome details, and several plot twists. Not for the squeamish or faint of heart, this book will cause you to never be able to look at a supermarket, common household items, or cozy cabins in the woods, the same way as before you read it.
Bethany Hyde
Oct 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I bought this book on a whim at the airport, as I'm a fan of disaster novels, particularly ones with infectious disease. This book, however, didn't do it for me for several reasons. Some of the side effects of the disease were too graphic, unnecessarily graphic (foot in blender - really?!). Also, the book went in depth in some of the science of virology but the spread of the disease seemed unrealistic. And the ending was too neat and tidy; it was not realistic. Overall, not impressed.
maureen
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scary

This is the first book I've read by this author and I couldn't put it down. The idea of a virus so lethal sent chills down my back. I know it's possible, but the way it was describe and the speed in which it killed was truly horrifying. I look forward to more books by Mr mara. He not only wrote a great read but he scared the carp out of me!
Gerry Lennox
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found this in the laundry room leave-a-book station, during my vacation. I took it to read on the return flight. It filled three hours. It wasn't anything special. The characters were pretty flat, and the story was predictable. I'd call it a bag of chips kind of read.

I imagine it will be made into a feature film any day now.
Amy Adinolfi gilvarry
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you like medical/epidemiological books (which I do) then you will love this! I could not put it down it is a page turner and a scenario which can really occur as well. (That was a chilling thought the whole time.)
Tomm
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book though it did promote panic attacks while on public transit when someone coughed. It was a quick read and well written. If you're interested in pandemics and books about said topic, I would recommend.
Kikifede
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
E'carino, non molto impegnativo, ma una lettura piacevole! E' davvero molto scorrevole e si legge molto in fretta, in qualche punto anche ansiogeno, e la voglia di finirlo c'è! Forse il finale è un pò banalotto, ma non rovina l'atmosfera creata nel libro!
Sian
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Nicole Morgan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another Wil Mara book that I thoroughly enjoyed! Great medical thriller!
Lisa
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Very eerie, graphic and gross. Great writing but so far fetched and corny at the end.
Lorenza
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un’escalation di tensione e di angoscia che ogni pagina va aumentando sempre più.
Recensione completa qui: http://libridilo.blogspot.it/2014/01/...
  • Deadly Exposure (Joanna Blalock #5)
  • Omega
  • Targets of Opportunity (Jordan Sandor, #2)
  • Degeneration (Degeneration #1)
  • Dawn of the Deed: The Prehistoric Origins of Sex
  • The Babel Effect
  • Three A.M.
  • Darkness All Around
  • Science Left Behind: Feel-Good Fallacies and the Rise of the Anti-Scientific Left
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
  • School's Out Forever (The Afterblight Chronicles, #12)
  • Hungry for Your Love
  • Dead Asleep  (Emma Caldridge, #4)
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Hardfought
  • The Exceptions
  • Irresistible Revolution
Wil Mara has been publishing books for the last 25 years. He began with nonfiction for school libraries, moved into children's fiction by ghostwriting five of the popular ‘Boxcar Children Mysteries,' then into adult fiction with his 2005 disaster thriller, Wave, which won the New Jersey Notable Book Award. The next disaster novel, The Gemini Virus, was released in October 2012 to rave reviews by c ...more
More about Wil Mara...