Start by marking “Dead Girl Moon” as Want to Read:
Dead Girl Moon

Dead Girl Moon

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
As their hardscrabble lives intertwine in a small, corrupt Montana town, Grace, a scheming runaway, JJ, her drifty fostercare sister, and Mick, the son of a petty thief, discover the body of a young woman. Afraid to come forward, the teens try to hide their knowledge of the crime, because they believe the murderer is one of the corrupt officials and businessmen who rule th ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Girl Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Girl Moon

Jon
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Check out my blog!
I had extremely high expectations for Dead Girl Moon. I loved the description and decided to read it even though none of my friends had read it. What I expected to be an intense mystery turned out to be pretty mediocre.

The problem with Dead Girl Moon is not with the concept but with the way it's executed. There's little to no tension in Dead Girl Moon, everything should be alot more intense. When a girl just dies in a book, the reader should be on the edge of his/her seat. T
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok

I would recommend this book for readers particularly interested in mysteries and more of an adult take on the subject as opposed to regular YA readers.

Between JJ, Mick and Grace, I'd argue that the latter is the main character as you start and end the novel from her perspective and you're given a thorough view of her life. The issue I take there is that she has the least character development of the three protagonists. JJ has probably the least insight given into her character but she was easil
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
After being sexually abused by her brothers, Grace runs away and creates a new life for herself in the small town of Portage. Mick has spent his life running from the law with his criminal dad. When they find themselves in Portage, he hopes to finally set down some roots.

Read the rest of my review on my blog, and don't forget to "Like" my blog so you'll read my "Dear Teen Me" letter to my teen self set to go "live" this Saturday: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.c...
Lauren
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Price's dark new novel starts off with a shocking bang and never stops! The story of a small town bloated with sinister secrets and corruption and the three teens at its mercy, "Dead Girl Moon" is a gritty, but worthwhile read!
SraPanadera
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was actually somewhat entertaining up until it ended and I actually thought for 2 seconds about it. There are way too many threads that are left incomplete, too many seemingly big details that are later ignored or forgotten and the ending is abrupt and downright lazy. The author introduces some BIG subjects (sexual abuse, incest, drug abuse, child abuse, sexual harassment, alcoholism, teenage prostitution, mental illness--to name a few) and then does very little with them. This strikes me a ...more
Kathy Martin
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a hard one to talk about. I didn't really like one of the main characters. Grace was abused by her older brothers, ignored by her mother when she told her about it, and has run away from home. She finally runs out of money when she gets to Portage, Montana. In Portage she runs into an "old boy" network that finds her a place to live with a drugged out marijuana salesman, his alcoholic wife and son with fetal alcohol syndrome. They also find her a job working in the cafe and cleaning the ...more
Unabridged Bookshelf
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Dead Girl Moon is about dirty politics, murder, and damaged teens. With a setting in my home state, I thought I would enjoy the setting. I however was not impressed, by not only the setting, but the story as well. The idea is not a bad one, but certain elements had me discouraged from the beginning. I will say I did finish the whole thing, and I liked the murder mystery behind the story.

The murder mystery of the young women was decent. The killer is unknown throughout the book until the very en
Fernando
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book Dead Girl Moon is a book by Charlie Price and it is about a young girl named grace, who is a risky runaway, her troubled foster sister JJ, and and their friend mick, the son of a thief . They all come from very different backgrounds so it was nice to have a range of character personalities and different points of views. All of these somewhat troubled kids wound up finding a dead body of a young woman, terrified the kids kept quiet because they thought they knew who it was.

The first mai
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wanting a good mystery, I decided to dive into this book. it gave me the thrills and chills that I needed.

The books starts off with kids who are "not important." Their runaways, troublemakers, banding together to finally have the friendship and family that they need. While doing so, they find a dead body, who some how connects to everyone. Once your in the book, the books move swiftly into action mode where you are on the run for your lives. if you like small town mysteries where their is corrup
Donna
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good mystery - too YA for the elementary crowd - but good story nonetheless.Grace, a runaway, meets up with Jj, her foster sister, and Mick, son of a thief, and life in the small town gets complicated. Each character has their own agenda and friendship means more to some than others. Throw in a murder, corrupt town officials, a conniving elderly neighbor, and you have a good mystery on your hands.
Mandy Magill
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Mandy by: Good Reads
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Thought this was going to be a really good book due to the description but was disappointed with not only the story but the fashion in which it was written. It was hard to follow and was poorly wrapped together without really explaining anything.
Danielle Benich
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was the second Charlie Price novel we've read (Desert Angel being the first), and if we judge by these two books... this author excels with writing about kids in horrible situations. As a parent, it makes my heart hurt. This one involves several teens in bad positions who discover a dead body and how things escalate from there.
Jennifer Smith
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was an interesting mystery though the "whodunnit" wasn't as important as the maneuvering and various conspiracies that were uncovered about the town. Fans of realistic fiction who like stories about kids in tough situations will enjoy this one.
Soma Rostam "IOB"
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Cannot finish this
Not intriguing enough
I am kind of disappointed
Heather
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: y-a
It was okay...I liked the Montana-ness of the story, but under developed.
alexandra
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This grittiness of this short novel reminded me of Ellen Hopkins. I just couldn't imagine teens sticking with the story.
Alice
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
It was OK
Louisa
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really great book, really enjoyable, and just just really good! The ending was quite abrupt, but other then that, really enjoyed it!
Kimberly Winship
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an ok book. It was hard to get into at times and felt like so much happened but at the same time nothing happened. Was hoping it would have been a lot better.
Raven
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's boring unclear and the killer is just some dude who's barely in the book.
Alla
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book, intense
Dystopian
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The bad guys were a little underdeveloped, but the other characters are well fleshed out.
Ms. Yingling
Too young adult for my crowd.
Akvile6
Apr 25, 2013
Celine Rickey
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it was a great book!! Full of excitement!
Jackie
  • Under the Bridge
  • Ten Mile River
  •  Death of a Kleptomaniac
  • Surviving High School
  • Code of Silence (Code of Silence, #1)
  • Fingerprints of You