Start by marking “The Accomplice” as Want to Read:
The Accomplice

The Accomplice

An ambitious young politico lands a dream job only to find himself implicated in dealings more shady than he could have ever suspected Smarting over a recent gubernatorial campaign in which he may have cost his boss the race, Henry Hatten is concerned about becoming a political has-been. But he catches a break when he lands a job as communications director for Nebraska Sen ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Accomplice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accomplice

Start your review of The Accomplice
Nathan Colodney
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Accomplice captures the grit and brinksmanship of big-time politics as only an insider can, in a page-turner that will rivet you to the end.
Charles Robbins
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The Accomplice has drawn enthusiastic professional reviews, including a boxed, starred, "must-read" Publishers Weekly notice and inclusion in Library Journal's "Fabulous Fall Firsts" feature. Some samples:

“. . . A riveting look at how love, lust, and murder can derail a presidential campaign. . . In the current campaign season, this thriller is a must read.”
-- Publishers Weekly (Starred, Boxed Review)

"Providing an insider's sharp-eyed look into the exciting and seamy aspects of high-stakes poli
Suspense Magazine
When it comes to the muck of political campaigns, nothing beats actual life. “The
Accomplice” however, gives reality a run for its fundraising, back-biting, corrupted, and murderous money. It’s a story of how far a man can be pushed and how many values he can sacrifice before saying enough.

Henry Hatten, politico, is hired by the staff of presidential hopeful, Tom Peele, a
Nebraskan Senator as a communications director. Even before he begins his duties, he knows Peele is not the clean cut farm bo
John Harms
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced and illuminating novel paints an eerily accurate portrait of modern campaign politics at its most cynical. The story, its characters, and the themes of ambition and political cowardice could not feel more prescient on the eve of what will likely go down as one of the most cynical election cycles in history. I do not read many political thriller novels but this book was one I could not put down and I recommend it to anyone interested in an inside look at how today's leaders are el ...more
Clay Stafford
In the race for a new president, this is a political thriller in the truest sense, a behind-the-scenes look at the America we have become. Not since “Primary Colors” have I had so much fun reading a politically based novel. Written in fast-flowing detail that only a Washington insider could provide, this is a tour de force of characters and plotting, choices and decisions.

The story revolves around Henry Hatten, communications director of Republican Senator Peele’s bid for the White House. “Just
Marc Leroux
I received this book as part of the goodreads giveaway program.
This is a political thriller. Henry Hatten is hired as the communications director on the staff of Tom Peele who is in the early stages of running for president.
The positives: the book is an easy read, it is well paced, and Charles Robbins brings his insider perspective to the story. The actions of individuals feel "real".
The negative is the predictability: Peele is a womanizer, has a wife and staff that know he's a womanizer, and a
William Bentrim
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Accomplice by Charles Robbins

The seedy side of politics is featured in this book. Hmm, one wonders if there is any side that isn’t seedy. This book provides an inside look at how a campaign for President is orchestrated. As quoted by Tom Daschle (former Senate majority leader) on the book cover, “A deft, spot-on novel that captures the underbelly where ambition and love collide with loyalty and conscience.”

Henry Hatten is well portrayed as an idealistic politico who finds his basic ethics im
Jean
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an exciting study of a campaign worker, who is pulled into corruption as the stakes get higher. I have always been interested in
"what really goes on," in a political campaign, and what it's like to go from whistle stop to whistle stop as a campaign insider. Much of
this study is inside baseball, but that's precisely what most people don't know about. I found that aspect very satisfying. The characters were
a bit archetypal, with the ex-actor moderate republican candidate, the long sufferi
Bruce
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Accomplice is a complex tale, but I can honestly say that I never felt lost as I anxiously moved from page to page. Robbins delivers engaging and at times disturbing characterizations, solid pacing, and clean lines of story construction that all work together to keep the reader tightly connected through the full length of the novel. Best of all, though, the inside look at the world of politics that Robbins is uniquely qualified to provide is nothing short of fascinating.
Janice
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Goodreads Giveaway.

The author took too long to get the story line going and then it was difficult to follow because he jumped around with the characters and spent too much time on restaurants and food. I ordinarily really like books about politics, but this one was just so-so.
Mary
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should be used to it, but it is hard to believe that the world is so corrupt. Can't help but remember the vision of America that we were taught when I was in school. Where did all the good go and will we ever get even a part of it back?
Jeremy Unger
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book and as it started i was really into it. However the twist in the plot came rather abruptly and didn't feel well organized to me. It made the ending of the book very convoluted and less enjoyable.

Very disappointing.
Ivy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love the fact that I felt like I got a realistic glimpse "inside" the Iowa role in presidential races while reading a "mystery" novel. Great read, especially for any political or "inside-the-Beltway" junkie.
David Marshall
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing that a timely book describing events in the early stages of the presidential campaign should prove so ordinary.

Robert James
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I had higher hopes for this book. After some interesting moments regarding a campaign the story became a run of the mill murder mystery. If you want a quick read and would like a mystery surrounded by a presidential campaign you might like this.
Stacy
Feb 04, 2013 added it
This was a fun and enjoyable book with a great peek into the political campaign scene.
Pat Malon
I read over 100 pages and couldn't get into the book. I almost put it aside but skipped some pages and finally was able to finish the book. The story line for me was only o.k.
Lori
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
wouldn't last one day in politics. also read kristen hannah's fly away but this site didn't recognize it as a book. usually like her but was unimpressed with this one
Donna
Aug 19, 2019
K Bovasso
Oct 25, 2012
Candy
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2012

• Ava's Man
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • Crito
  • Apology
  • Antigone (The Theban Plays, #3)
  • Oedipus at Colonus (The Theban Plays, #2)
  • Oedipus Rex  (The Theban Plays, #1)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • The Escape Artist
  • The Silent Corner (Jane Hawk, #1)
Charles Robbins longed to write professionally from the time his grade-school classmates aspired to play professional baseball, voyage to the moon, or fight fires. He was elected editor-in-chief of The Nassau Literary Review, America’s oldest continuously published literary magazine, at Princeton and wrote a novel for a senior thesis. He also captained the judo team and competed on both the colleg ...more