Start by marking “Homesick” as Want to Read:
Homesick

Homesick

Benny's parents are splitting up. His mom leaves home after a fight about a mysterious splinter that is rumored to be part of an important relic. Benny's dad has always liked clutter, but now, he begins hoarding everything from pizza boxes to old motorcycle parts.

As his house grows more cluttered and his father grows more distant, Benny tries to sort out whether he can cha
Published September 18th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

Joan
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but the hero of this book and I are just about the same age so I had a nice review of my pre-adolescent year, in the early 1970s. It is a book that is needed, in that it shows a child dealing with a hoarder, decades before the term hoarder was invented. In some ways it is nice that the word hoarder isn't used, in case the reader doesn't know what it means. It is nice the way the whole town was trying to help Benny deal with his father and the situation of the chao ...more
Serina
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
awgh! this book held so much promise...about a boy coping with his dad being a hoarder. but it just fell apart for me at the end. felt like too simple of a solution. ***spoiler alert*** just take dad to hospital, all is forgiven and everything is ok just give him some meds and he's instantly cured.
Chase Webster
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good book but the story went on too long with just one topic and problem that benny occurred.
Marian
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ya gotta love a middle grade novel that quotes Pete Townshend a lot.
Kalyn
Jan 22, 2016 added it
Paul  Hankins
Interesting character/community study in Klise's latest offering.

Ben's family is in crisis. His mother has left for New Orleans and his father's "collection" of redeemables and unredeemables is growing out of control.

But, in this tightly-tied little town, it's more than hoarding that might put this community on the map. It may just be:

a hippie with new-found radio equipment and a frequency that seems to be reading each and every community member.

the teacher who is encouraging her students to fin
Kristi
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This realistic fiction set in the early eighties deals with a parent who is suffering from hoarding and the child who lives with him. Dennis Acres, Missouri could hardly be called "America's Most Charming Small Town," but the local kindergarten teacher doesn't mind taking some liberties when she enters their town in the US Chamber of Commerce contest. Benny's mother has recently left Benny's dad so she can go back home to New Orleans. She left because his dad refused to throw something away. Now ...more
Tamera Fleming
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: Benny family is having problems and his family decided to get an divorce. Benny mother decides to move away, and left him to live with his dad who like to collect everything. He begins to learn how to love his dad for his treasures and his city.

2) Grade level, interest level, lexile: 4-7th grade, 10 and up, 610L

3) Appropriate classroom use (subject area): Reading block

4) Individual students who might benefit from reading: Every child could benefit from this story. I think childr
Anthony
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
“Homesick” is the interesting tale of good boy stuck in a bad situation. Benny’s parents have split because his dad is a hoarder, and his dad’s condition is getting progressively worse. No one really understand how bad the problem has gotten until a disaster strikes and Calvin remains more concerned about his junk than his and his sons life.

“Homesick” is filled with quirky characters in a quirky little town. Not every piece of the story seems to fit well together, but Benny is a kid that you ca
Peg
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
When Benny’s mother walks out for good, the sixth grader is left to deal with his father’s hoarding, mental instability, and abuse on his own. He’s supported by some quirky folks in his small town and receives washing and cleaning tips (along with clothing and personal items) from his teacher. Set in the early 1980s, when laws about suspected abuse weren’t as tough, it is somewhat believable that folks just let things ride until they realize the mess inside and outside Benny’s house will impact ...more
Dagmar
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-readers

Benny's mom leaves, because his dad's hoarding is out of hand. Benny's life becomes difficult as his father's mental illness progresses. Benny lives in a small town full of interesting characters who each support Benny in their own way. Then, a big tornado comes and changes everything. This book can be hard to read when you see Benny struggling. It seems a too dark when compared to the cutesy, pat ending. Not a bad book, just a little confused.
Josh Newhouse
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Weirdly nostalgic, win kingly quirky, gross and memorable... over the top and readable... child endangerment never was described so vividly... hoarding so grotesquely! too pat perhaps feel good ending!
Karol Davila
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Homesick by Kate Klise is a very cool book about a kid named
Lorena
Jul 05, 2013 added it
Shelves: romance
The mom left her son with his dad in a nasty, hoarder house. I had a hard time overlooking that part.
Amy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, j-fiction
The writing style is smooth and it flows really well. I found myself picking this up to read during times I would not normally read, drawn to finding out what will happen in the story.

The subject matter is a bit grown up, but what might confuse kids more is the setting of the 1980s. A time of Cassette tapes, VHS, and Tandy computers or none at all. For me, who remembers those things, it was a bit nostalgic and things that could have easily been taken care of in today's setting was a struggle bac
Peter Lafon
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Homesick by Kate Klise is a great book and is better than others. It is about a boy named Benny growing up a quirky life. Mom leaves and now Benny lives a very small town with his dad that is a Hoarder. That never pays the bills. So all around Benny is not growing up like a regular kid at the start of the book. But throughout the book Benny's dad’s friend Myron started a radio show for the town. Myron would always have guests on and Benny was the person who would write down whatever they said, ...more
Melissa
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Parts of this were difficult to read. I had so many questions about why no one stepped in to get Benny's father help-and I had to keep reminding myself that the setting was in the 70s and a rural town. I would love to read a sequel to see how the town adjusted.

"Benny's parents are splitting up. His mom leaves home after a fight about a mysterious splinter that is rumored to be part of an important relic. Benny's dad has always liked clutter, but now, he begins hoarding everything from pizza boxe
Libby Dogherty
Sep 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is a horrible representation of mental illness. Full of tropes and dehumanizing. The story is unbelievable, the characters lazy.
The kicker for me was this at the end:
"I don't suppose you could give me guitar lessons, could you, Mrs. Crumple?" (Mrs. Crumple is a piano teacher) "Of course. Music is music."
Seriously? A piano teacher cannot teach guitar lessons. Ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as an 11 year old being able to figure out how to ride a homemade motorcycle on debris-covered
Christina
This book deals with a range of social issues, including divorce and hoarding. The novel is at its best when portraying the relationships between the contentious parents and their son. Middle-school students likely will find the subject of hoarding -- not commonly addressed in kids' books -- to be fascinating. Some of the secondary characters who are all other residents of the small town are less well-developed.
Emily
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Homesick by Kate Klise; it was a cute story and a quick read for me. I picked it up because of a book club. Unfortunately this was by the wrong author so I had to read a different book, but I'm glad I made that mistake, because I really did enjoy this book.
KidlitUnderground
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cool premise and the historical (I mean not that the early 80s is ancient... Ahem) setting is very well-done. But the stakes could have been higher, the premise escalated more; the ending was too tidy to be believable.
710Arman
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was okay, not much special about it.
711Cal
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
this book was funny but not amazing.
710Lawson
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had a very interesting conflict but it takes awhile for the main part to start.
710Charlotte
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was okay, it got kind of boring a couple chapters in.
Katherine Rowland
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fic-juvenile-ya
The writing was great, but it felt like the story was too huge to fit into the constraints of the book. It needed more space, more elucidation, and more complexity in its ending.
711Rami
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really funny and tense easy read. It was a really fun read and it was relatable even though i'm from NYC
Emmanuel B.
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Homesick was a very good book if you are looking for something gloomy and sad the book what a little confusing but I learned to love it I recommend this book.
711Samin
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It involved a complicated relationship between two main characters, and it presented a conflict which really messed up things even more. This book shows some good character development.
Katie Fitzgerald
It is 1983 in Dennis Acres, Missouri, and Beignet “Benny” Summer is 12 years old. His dad, Calvin, who hoards junk and goes on and on about a future worldwide computer network, keeps the house in a state of utter filth, which has driven Benny’s mom away. Various people - from Calvin’s best friend Myron to Benny’s own teacher - try to help Benny get things cleaned up, but the more help is offered, the more resistant Benny’s dad becomes. Then the worst happens - the U.S. Chamber of Commerce names ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
RDNG 636 Fall 2015: Light Hearted -Stirs Thought & Feelings 1 2 Nov 15, 2015 09:34PM

• Better to Wish (Family Tree, #1)
  • Dorko the Magnificent
  • If You Find This
  • Saint Louis Armstrong Beach
  • One Year in Coal Harbor (Coal Harbour #2)
  • After Eli
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)
  • Twerp
  • After All, You're Callie Boone
  • Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • Hide and Seek (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #2)
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • Precious Bones
  • Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles
  • The Center of Everything
  • Chained
  • Fourmile
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture