Start by marking “The Forgiveness Garden” as Want to Read:
The Forgiveness Garden

The Forgiveness Garden

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A long time ago and far away--although it could be here, and it could be now--a boy threw a stone and injured a girl. For as long as anyone could remember, their families had been enemies, and their towns as well, so it was no surprise that something bad had happened.

Hate had happened. Revenge had happened. And that inspired more hate and more calls for revenge. But this
Published October 30th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Forgiveness Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgiveness Garden

Amy
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The forgiveness garden
Thompson, L., & Hale, C. (2012). The forgiveness garden. New York, NY: Feiwel and Friends.

Opening:
We have been reading some books about taking chances and what that means for the characters. Sometimes taking a chance means doing something drastic and life changing. Sometimes taking a chance means making a new type of decision. Before someone takes a chance, what do they have to do? (student responses) If you take a chance, is it an action or an emotion? (student respons
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
A great message but definitely for older children
Angela Germany
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: elentary school teachers and librarians
The Forgiveness Garden by Lauren Thompson, Illustrations by Christy Hale.
This is a story of forgiveness. This story could happen in any place at any time. Everyone has been hurt, wronged or damaged by someone else at some point in their life. Sometimes the damage is devastatingly painful, severe and lasts for a long long time. Sometimes the wrongdoing is not as severe, but no matter what, everyone has been hurt before. In this book there are two villages who have hated each other as long as anyo
Chris Hays
I thought on this book overnight and how I would rate it. As far as the story goes, it is a 3 maybe 4 stars. What the book is trying to express is the part where it becomes 5 stars. I feel that sometimes people make up or agree to disagree without remembering the forgiveness. Holding grudges, passing on negative feelings, and hardening our beliefs to reject the other side without empathy is part of the reason the world is in such a mess today. Forgiveness that is honest and uncertain is what giv ...more
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Forgiveness Garden is about civil unrest between two different groups inhabiting the same land. It teaches that kindness and forgiveness can foster harmony.

Though this book does lean toward the sentimental, I think it teaches a strong and positive lesson. During a disagreement between the two groups represented in this book, a boy from one group hurts a girl from the other. One side calls for revenge while the other congratulates the boy for his courage loyalty. The easiest thing to do in th
Dawn Sahakian
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
I chose this book for my text-set because even though it doesn't directly deal with bullying, it doesn’t provide a good lesson to children about kindness and forgiveness- which would fall under bullying lessons.
The book dicusses two villages Vayam and Gamte, who have been at odds with each for a long time. A boy from Gamte, Varune throws a stone across the river towards Vayam, which ends up injuring a young girl named Sama. Instead of throwing this rock back, Sama chooses to place the rock down
Lacey Bolen
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book teaches a very valuable lesson that could be incorporated with a bullying or positive action lesson. Due to the deeper concepts such as revenge, courage, forgiveness, etc., in this book and violence (throwing stones) in the beginning of the story I feel this would be best in third or fourth grade. The illustrations are very simplistic, but the briefness of the story would allow for students to remain attentive. There are many points during a read aloud in which you could stop and have ...more
Sandy Brehl
This book was inspired by the foregiveness garden created at St. Paul's Church in NYC to commemorate the victims of 9?11 and their loved ones.
By presenting it as a story of the cycles of hatred readers will be able to identify directly with the emotions. It is especially true and effective that not all chose to embrace the concept of forgiveness, bunt the garden, like a seed, offered an opportunity for hope and change.
GalindoLibrarian
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
About the emotions, traps, stereotypes, anger, hurt, revenge accompanying war against "other". A good picture book companion to an elementary study of war or people divided. Would be good for teaching many reading stategies: inferences, main idea, theme, conclusions, reflecting, cause & effect. Could do text-text comparison with other similarly themed books, such as The Butter Battle Book (Seuss).
Debbie Jo
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This will be a book I purchase for my elementary school libraries. The theme of forgiveness and the idea of talking and finding another way to look at conflict can lead to some very meaningful discussion. We have a "Peace Pole" in front of one of my schools and I think we need to revisit why it's there and what it means for our school and greater community.
Gin
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This parable of hate/revenge vs. acceptance/forgiveness is inspired by an actual Garden of Forgiveness in Beirut, Lebanon. I think this picture book would work really well with 2nd through 5th graders. The character names come from the Sanscrit language and translate to "Us", "Forgiveness" and "Kindness", and the paper collage style illustrations convey the emotions well.
Christina
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb-favorites
Redemption in the form of a picturebook! Power story about long-lived family feuding that is resolved peacefully by children! Thompson took her story from a real event in Lebannon, making this a reliable message of healing and friendship!
Craig Wiesner
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book with very important lessons about moving from the endless cycle of violence towards forgiveness. We consider this to be one of the best picture books of 2012! You can read the rest of our review here:

Bethany
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Read for 5427 class

The Forgiveness Garden pairs well with Hiawatha and the Peacemaker by Robbie Robertson. Both focus putting aside past grievances, violence, and differences to come together peacefully.
Pam  Page
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Be sure to read the copyright pages and the page at the end of the story. Both add a good deal of meaning to the story which at first I thought was a little to idealistic. A nice story to help children begin to think about hatred and forgiveness.
Amber Elise
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story about forgiveness and peace. This would be a great read aloud and companion to discussion about 9/11 or other acts of violence in the world.
Andrea Labonte
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A nice way to believe in each other and not fight.
Lani
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautifully illustrated and wonderful tale about the power of forgiveness.
June
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: peace and conflict resolution requests
A story inspired by the Garden of Forgiveness in Beirut, a girl realizes that hate and revenge only lead to more and comes up with an idea to end the cycle of violence.
Emily
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Breathtaking illustrations for a powerful story.
Courtney
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5
Lara
Good message to this one, about forgiveness (duh), but I just didn't really like the art very much. It is a nice book, though, for talking about working through differences and letting go of anger...
Kelsey
Age: K-3rd grade

Accompanied with stunning mixed-art illustrations, Thompson presents forgiveness without preaching.
Krista
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, picture-books
Beautiful book with a beautiful message about forgiveness.
Sharon Lawler
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-picturebooks
Theme driven--the process of hatred, forgiveness, and reconciliation.
Amy Gibson
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to get my hands on this one! Love both the author and illustrator, so I'm expecting great things ....
Donalyn
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
While I appreciate to book's message, I wish the author had chosen to tell the true forgiveness stories mentioned in the author's note instead.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautifully illustrated parable about forgiveness, reconciliation, and peacemaking.
Kimball
I didn't realize this was a ney-ney kids book until I put it in the CD player.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »