Start by marking “Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Read Excerpt

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  25,490 Ratings  ·  4,209 Reviews
Imaginary friend Budo narrates this heartwarming story of love, loyalty, and the power of the imagination—the perfect read for anyone who has ever had a friend . . . real or otherwise.

Budo is lucky as imaginary friends go. He's been alive for more than five years, which is positively ancient in the world of imaginary friends. But Budo feels his age, and thinks constantly o
Published August 21st 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, please sign up.
vLadimiR
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carol
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kim
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I am a horrible person (ME.ME.ME.ME.ME.ME). I am worse than a horrible person. I am a killer. I am worse than a killer.
I am a killer of dreams.

My daughter, Marley, was about 3 when she introduced me to Hartluv. At first I thought that there were some hippy parents who subjected their child to this moniker. Maybe someone in her pre-school class but then I thought, we live in Manchester, NH. No one is that bright or weird in Manchester, NH. (we were planning our escape). It went like this:

Marley:
Nandakishore Varma
Here is what I know:

My Name is Budo.

I have been alive for five years.

Five years is very long for someone like me to be alive.

Max gave me my name.

Max is the only human person who can see me.

Max's parents call me an imaginary friend.

I love Max's teacher, Mrs Gosk.

I do not like Max's other teacher, Mrs Patterson.

I am not imaginary.

So begins one of the most unusual and frustrating books I have ever read, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green.

Many kids have imaginary friends, who last for v
Callie
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, own, booktopiaca2012
Started yesterday, and I couldn't put it down!

I loved every moment I spent with Budo and his friend, Max, and I just can't recommend this highly enough, especially for people who liked A Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime, or Room. I think I actually liked this a little better than both of those!

There were some very tender moments, some very sad moments, some very funny moments... I went through way more kleenax than I was anticipating!

I can't wait to start lending this out to people!
Joanne-in-Canada
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Flipping ahead, like cholesterol, can be bad or good.

Bad flipping ahead means I'm losing interest and either looking for a reason to keep reading, or skimming through the rest of the plot before I stop reading.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend was subjected to good flipping ahead. Part way through, I simultaneously couldn't stand the suspense and didn't want to rush this wonderful journey with Max and his imaginary friend Budo, so I flipped ahead a little, then came back to relish the details.

I wa
Bonnie Shores
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
I'm sorry to say that I didn't love this book like I thought I would. Yes, the title is Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend but I thought it would be told from the POV of Max, the little boy, not Budo, the imaginary friend. From Budo's perspective, the story is told, not shown. And, tbh, it came across (to me) as a little preachy at times. It was like Budo was this all-knowing, all-wise "person" who was imparting his wisdom to us imbeciles.

I really loved 600 Hours of Edward and The Curious Incident o
Natalie Monroe
Damn if this book doesn't get me right in the feels.

To my imaginary friend, Tie (I was five, okay?):

You were a part of my childhood and I will never ever forget you.
Thomas
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever watched a movie where you knew how it was going to end right from the beginning, but you still cried when the ending came anyway? That's what happened to me with Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

Budo is Max's imaginary friend. He looks more human than most imaginary friends, can pass through doors and windows, and he loves Max. The bad part is that if Max stops believing in him, Budo will disappear. Max's life moves as smoothly as it can for a child with a mental disability until one
Myrna
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Content… 4 stars!
Reading mood during and after… 5+ stars!

C6_E08_A92-_DA93-4562-_ADD1-_D677423764_A2

Interesting read from the point of view of an (suspected) autistic boy’s imaginary friend, Budo. This book is full of imagination with great descriptions of the imaginary friends. Budo, is a great character you might end up loving like I did and may take you back to your own childhood. It may start slow for some but it gets better quickly once the twist is revealed. Plus, the ending was worth the read.

Matthew Dicks did a good job of wri
Mark Rice
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On every level, this book is worthy of five stars. The story is original, touching and memorable. Budo (the narrator and main character) is a captivating mixture of innocence, childlike wisdom, love, wonder and fear. Matthew Green's characters are so vivid that they remain with the reader after the book is finished. Right from the opening page, the novel engaged my full attention, stirring up emotions that grew stronger as the story progressed. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is a masterclass in ...more
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arcs
This review and more can be viewed on my blog at: The Muses Circle

"I wish there was a Heaven. If I knew there was a Heaven for me, then I would save Max for sure. I wouldn't be afraid because there would be a place to go after this place. Another place. But I don't think there is a Heaven, and I definitely don't think there is a Heaven for imaginary friends. Heaven is only supposed to be for people who God made, and God didn't make me. Max made me."

I normally don't start my reviews with a quote,
Nikki
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikki by: 'Best books of 2012' lists.
I'd read/heard so many people rave about this book and the synopsis sounded pretty interesting too, so I couldn't not read it. However, I really didn't like it. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but I just didn't get sucked into the story at all. I didn't feel involved with any of the characters, I didn't like the writing style (it reminded me a lot of Room, a book I started but didn't finish because of exactly this reason) and the plot was borderline ridiculous. Not to mention all th ...more
Autumn
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the biggest surprises for me of the year. I was blown away by how emotional and heart-wrenching this book was at times. That might be because of what an awesome job the narrator, Matthew Brown, did with the audiobook. The story was absolutely fantastic, but Mr. Brown brought Budo to life just as surely as Max Delaney did.

In Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend when a child creates an imaginary friend they are real. Only, no one but the child that created him (and other imaginary fr
Alex
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had several imaginary friends, one was a girl named Elizabeth, one was a girl named Jessica, one was a dog named Bonzo. Bonzo was the best. I miss Bonzo. Jessica was a bit mean, Elizabeth a bit pasty. Sorry, Elizabeth, you did stick around for quite a while, and I don't want you to feel unappreciated. But you were a little bit pasty, in hindsight. Bonzo, on the other hand, was solid and loyal and... he persisted.
I don't know how long these friends stuck around for, but the times spent with th
Caleb Wilson
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book. Pitch-perfect narrative voice. It proved impossible for me to set it down once I reached the halfway mark. The ending made me perform an imaginary fist pump of triumph.
Lilyan (Little Yams)
THIS BOOK MADE ME CREATE A SIX STARS SHELF.

“Maybe we are all somebody's devil”

There are no words to describe how beautiful this book is. I've written down so many quotes from the story, it fills up 10 pages in my notebook. And I have small hand writing.

After finishing this book I couldn't stop crying for 15 minutes, no joke. It wasn't the hysterical kind of cry. It was the type
Larry H
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Budo is an imaginary friend. The boy who imagined him, eight-year-old Max Delaney, had a vivid imagination, so Budo looks much more real than most imaginary friends. He can pass through doors, and travel anywhere he wants to go, but he doesn't ever sleep, and he can't pick things up, because Max didn't imagine Budo doing those things.

"I live in a strange place in the world," Budo says. "I live in the space in between people. I spend most of my time in the kid world with Max, but I also spend a l
Dianne
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Budo is the narrator of this book. He is the imaginary friend of Max, a eight year old autistic boy who "imagined" Budo 5 years earlier. Budo watches over Max but being imaginary, cannot make his presence felt in the real world. This becomes a problem when Max is in real danger and Budo must find a way to help his friend.

Dicks creates a well-imagined (pardon the pun) world for imaginary friends, who come in all forms and shapes and degrees of complexity. Very poignant and thoughtful, I can't ima
Javier
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad le doy un 3,5. Es verdad que la voz del niño y cómo explica el universo "Imaginario" está muy bien, pero después se hace muy repetitivo y, en mi opinión, un fallo grave es que TODOS los amigos imaginarios excepto el prota hablan de la misma manera. Da igual si es un anciano o un niño-cuchara, su voz es la misma y saben prácticamente las mismas cosas... Se lee rápido porque son frases cortas. Y también porque mantiene la curiosidad de saber cómo saldrán del tinglado.
Charbel
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The plot:
Budo is Max's imaginary friend. Max has Aspergers, or at leat some mild form of autism; and no one really understands him as well as Budo. Budo is also special because, as far as imaginary friends go, Budo looks pretty human, not to mention that he's also been alive for 6 years, which among his own kind is quite extraordinary. And even though Budo has been around for a long time, Max needs him now more than ever.
Despite the fact that the plot is predictable, the premise (that of an imag
Lisa Rostocki
This book is about an boy who has autism and his imaginary friend. In the beginning of the book the author prefices it by saying that Budo the imaginary friend knows much more than Max and has more intelligence. I would have thought that the author took that literary license to write in a more adult fashion. I actually looked up the book on the internet to see if it was meant for children to read.The book was written in a childish tone and flowed terribly in the beginning. I almost didn't contin ...more
Charly Flores
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy original, entretenido e impresionante.
Es una historia muy tierna. Esta llena de sorpresas y es tan sencilla que se pasa rápido el tiempo leyendo :)
Patve
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bien....sobre todo por el giro de la historia.
No me gustó mucho el final, creo que le faltó completar más el perfil de la antagonista.
Kwoomac
This book was nothing like author Matthew Dicks' previous novels. Ok, maybe not completely true. The protagonist is not a quirky adult with OCD, but an eight-year-old boy with autistic features. Actually, he's not the main protag, his imaginary friend is.

This is a truly poignant tale told through the eyes of Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. According to Budo, imaginary friends are real. It was a fun concept. Budo can go places without Max, and often wanders off if he's bored. He has fr
Melissa Storm
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was perfect. Have you ever read something that ended so beautifully, incorporating even the most minor plot points in its resolution, that you couldn't help but cry as you reached the final page? It's a rare experience, but an amazing one. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend has earned its place among my favorites, along with a 5-star rating from this stingy reviewer.

Written in the simple and repetitive voice of Budo, the imaginary friend of an 8-year-old with Asberger's, this novel sucks y
Yarely
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"Quiza todos somos el demonio de alguien"

Que bonito que el primer libro que leo en este año haya sido tan bueno.
El final es muy predecible, desde que empece a leer el libro supe que iba a terminar así, lo supuse, pero igual cuando llegue a los últimos capítulos donde efectivamente estaba pasando lo que creía, me dolió.
Los personajes son maravillosos y bien pensados, Max, un niño totalmente diferente y tan inteligente, yo me moría de ganas de entrar en el libro y abrazarlo con todas mis fuerzas,
Reddish
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, 5-estrellas
Increíble. Al principio tenía la sensación de que sería el típico libro infantil, pero derrepente... BUM! Empiezan a suceder cosas y más cosas y te acabas encariñando con Budo y te enfadas bastante con Max y.... LECTURA OBLIGATORIA.

"Es el diablo bajo la pálida luz de la luna."
Deb
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down once I started it. So uniquely and beautifully written! A story of friendship and finding strength.
Maria
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Spoiler alert: I have not hidden any parts of this review, and although I only write in general terms about the book's ending, this might constitute a spoiler for some.

Budo is the imaginary friend of Max, an 8 year old kid who's somewhere on the aspergers/autism scale, but not diagnosed yet. Budo is Max's creation, and exists only as long as Max believes in him. Although the idea of telling a story from the perspective of an imaginary friend is cute and refreshing, I am sad to say that I tired o
Vicky
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5 estrellas

OMG, OMG, OMG. Este libro es.. es.. Wow.

Cuando comencé a leerlo no pensé que me llegaría a gustar tanto, ¡pero me encantó!
En las primeras páginas llegué a preguntarme qué giro le darían al libro, qué es lo que harían para hacer de este libro interesante, qué "algo" tendría su historia. ¡Y JAMÁS ME IMAGINÉ QUE PASARÍA ESO! Este libro me tuvo con el corazón en la boca en la última mitad, quería saber qué pasaba, cómo terminaría, cómo se solucionaría. Me gustaron todos los personajes,
Cheryl
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me feel like a child again. I loved Budo. I wished that I had such a vivid imagination as Max did with Budo when I was growing up. I never really had an imaginary friend growing up but this probably had to do with I had a younger sister to play with. She and I would make things up ourselves. However, if I was an only child, I would have wanted a friend like Budo. It was very creative of Max to give Budo the ability to walk through walls.

I do admit that at first I was a li
The Ending (Do Not read if you haven't finished the book yet!) 24 570 Sep 30, 2017 03:02AM
OSU Marion 3356 S...: HONORS- Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend 3 4 May 06, 2016 11:58AM
Autism 4 12 Sep 30, 2015 06:01AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks 1 22 Jun 20, 2015 03:48AM
  • A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty
  • Running the Rift
  • The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns
  • Goodbye for Now
  • The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.
  • The Healing
  • Ojos azules en Kabul
  • The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope
  • The Green Shore
  • The Underside of Joy
Matthew Dicks is the internationally bestselling author of the novels Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, Something Missing, Unexpectedly, Milo, The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs, and the upcoming novels The Other Mother and Cardboard Knight, as well as the nonfiction Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life Through the Art of Storytelling. His novels have been translated into ...more
More about Matthew Dicks

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.” 231 likes
“Everyone is someone's devil.” 113 likes