Start by marking “Breaking Point” as Want to Read:
Breaking Point

Breaking Point (Crashers #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Breaking Point

Dana Haynes

High above the mountains of Montana, a twin turbo prop plane plunges from the sky and crashes into the forest. On board are three members of the NTSB: pathologist Tommy Tomzak, Navy vet Kiki Duvall, and former FBI agent Isaiah Grey. Known in the field as "Crashers," they believe the wreck is no accident—the plane was brought down on purpose—and the
Published October 30th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Point

Emily
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cover to cover! I was hoping for a bit more Daria action, I was pleased to see her pop in for the last third of the book. While I find it funny I'm unpleasant by agent Rays misplaced determination to protect Daria.

as for the storyline, I was very surprised by the amount of death. I understood it, but I was certainly not expecting it and to the level of detail. out of the four I've read, I think I enjoy the other books more.

Kiki and Tommy's relationship was very cute and touching to read about
Deon Stonehouse
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: oregon-authors
If you like action, enjoy an adrenalin rush, Dana Haynes is your guy. It starts out fast, picking up the pace as the pages fly by. High octane could be a good description for Haynes’ writing style. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) calls the teams it sends to investigate when a plane goes down “Crashers”. These are people smart enough and strong enough to sort through the grizzly wreckage to find the truth, to figure out what took that long silver body out of the sky. Pathologist T ...more
Larry
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haynes's second novel centers on the aircraft loss investigative team introduced in "Crashers." This time they are on a plane that crashes in a mountainous area of Montana. The crash was not an accident, and the reader knows that fact from the start. It is interesting to see the investigative team in action with the rest of the National Transportation Safety Board experts, especially when interference with the investigation by the hit men working for a cabal of defense industry and intelligence ...more
Rick F.
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A magnifencent novel- so very well written- Dana Haynes has proved that he is no one hit wonder- CRASHERS was superb, Breaking Point- with the same characters is like visiting old friends- a terrific second book in a MUST READ series. Those who investigate plane crashes are far more than fact finders- they are complex - very human people- and Mr. Haynes captures the very essense of NTSB procedures and the emotional impact on his characters in a very affecting way. This is stick to your seat read ...more
Lynn Pribus
This one read like the screenplay for a thriller with a really REALLY big special-effects budget. Many casualties -- all in bloody detail -- gunfights, plane crashes, bulldozers, the CIA, the NTSB, stabbings, fires, explosions, etc. etc.

Only a couple white hats in the book -- mostly grey and changing as you read. Click, click, click quick switches from scene to scene.

Good idea not to put this book down for too long or it's easy to lose track of all the characters. A little overwritten, but still
Bill Warden
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
WOW. Make sure you're well rested when you start this book. It is a sprint from the first word. The action stays high throughout a large majority of the book, with only a few places to take a breath.

If you haven't read this latest book about Tommy, Kiki, and the other "Crashers", take the time to read this one --- and I'm hoping Dana Haynes comes out with a follow-up soon!!!
Kendra
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book more than a month ago, then abandoned it repeatedly, as ebook library holds came pouring in -- but that's no reflection on the quality of the book. Very similar in style to Crashers, Haynes' first book about the NTSB and the "Go Teams" that investigate plane crashes, Breaking Point now has some of the crashers themselves on board a plane that goes down. Far-fetched? Yeah, definitely. But also a fun, fast read. Action thrillers with espionage and mercenaries and covert operati ...more
Mark Mckenna
May 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor sequel

If the author wanted to focus on Daria, then he could have done it better than this sequel. Those characters you cared about in the first book secondary characters or worse in this book.
hello there
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tonka
3.5+
J Edward Tremlett
They are the Crashers. When a plane goes down, the “Go Team” assembles from across the country to secure the wreckage, investigate the incident, and determine what happened, and what — or who — was to blame. It’s a tough job that can sometimes be hazardous and thankless, and requires a certain amount of emotional distance from the horrible event, itself.

But how do you do that when the Crashers, themselves, are in a crash?

When three of the National Transportation Safety Board’s investigators are
Pamela
I liked this one much better than Crashers, although it isn't without its faults. Reading over my review for Crashers, I noted that he was trying too hard, sometimes, to be a fancy *literary* author (you know, with intricate descriptions and an overabundance of adjectives). Thankfully, Breaking Point was pretty much a straight thriller, which really worked well.

The plot on this was good, and engrossing enough that I just kept reading, and reading, and reading. I like that he kept some of the ch
Nancy
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who are the good guys, who are the bad guys, is the tall blonde bad or the solidly muscled woman with the spiky hair good? Breaking Point by Dana Haynes throws so many characters at you that you find yourself taking inventory from time to time wondering if you have everyone straight and you just know, that by the end of the book, you might just change your opinion of some very interesting people.

“We’ve got false federal agents, a wingless airliner flying under a balloon, air tankers barnstorming
Jim
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The promise that Dana Haynes exhibited in his book, CRASHERS, is more than equaled in book two. BREAKING POINT (ISBN 978-1250011848, paperback, $9.99) has many of the same characters from the first book as well as a new team of NTSB crash investigators. A really malevolent villain named “Calendar” is introduced.

The creative genius behind a high tech company has created a weapon that by all standards is illegal under international agreements. The military weapons company that is partnering with t
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read and a follow up to Haynes's previous novel, Crashers, about an NTSB crash investigation team.
While I like the crash investigation aspect of these books, I felt like Breaking Point was missing a lot of the detail that Crashers brought. Quite a few characters were killed off, and Haynes seems to be spinning off a tangential character into her own series rather than focusing on his NTSB stories. It disappoints me just a little, because I feel like there are a lot of action/adventu
Paul
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Chasers, Breaking Point centers on the investigation of an airline crash. There are also some other unfortunate similarities: reliance on an unknown weapon that remotely debilitates planes as the cause of the crash, some rather obvious rule-keepers vs. mavericks personality conflicts, and an over-the-top violent ending. Still, the first 80% of this story is a great page-turning chase.
Michelle
So not as good as Crashers, but still a fast, action-packed read. I was a little put off at the beginning when right after the major action starts, the author goes back in time, each one further than the last, for 10 chapters. When your commuting, that makes it hard to keep all of the threads of the story together, but if you're not putting it down during that time, maybe you'll have no problem. I didn't get into the characters so much this time, since there were more POVs this time, but I liked ...more
Andrea Rodriguez
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely enjoyed reading Dana Hayes' 'Breaking Point', yet I found it to be kind of slow at the beginning and then, suddenly, BAM!, the theory is thought up and the crash is completely figured out. Also, I got a bit lost with all the switching between the crash site, Halcyon/Detweiler and the Go-Team site, in some parts not being able to follow the storyline as I read, having to go back and reread some segments that had me confused. But those things aside, I really liked it, it was a really we ...more
Harvey
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am usually not a fan of pure "thrillers".

Nevertheless, Haynes makes the nerdy world of NTSB crash investigators exciting. Breaking Point is a well written and plotted thriller that actually thrills while maintaining plausiblity and logic (at least up to a point).

Breaking Point brings back smart and brave characters from his debut, Crashers (although reading the first is not necessary to enjoyment of this one).

The climax is definitely (biblically) over the top but I went along for the ride.

Hay
Lou
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. Tommy Tomzak, Kiki Duvall, and Isaiah Gray are on a plane when it goes down unexpectedly in Montana. They become unwitting pawns in a murderous plot involving banned weapons and three other people who WERE the targets of the plot. There are many twists and turns in this book and not only will it keep you non the edge of your seat, it will be hard to put down even to take a break.
David
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I have read anything by Mr. Haynes, and won't be the last. He handles the "thriller" genre like an old pro and I can't wait to read his debut book Crashers.
If I have a nit to pick, he introduces a tad too many characters, but manages to make them distinct enough to stand out.
Trisha Gagnon
I did not like this book as much as the first. It didn't move as quickly. I found it harder to keep track of the characters, and what are the chances of having a second US plane come down so close to what happened in the first book. In the first book you could believe something like the plane crashing could happen. Having something similar happen again to the same people? I didn't buy it.
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not QUITE as wonderful as Crashers, but still a pretty darn awesome page-turner. I was impressed that he managed to use a similar concept as his last novel but in a completely new way that still made a lot of sense. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a lot of gratuitous and unnecessary violence/death - reminiscent of a Stiegg Larsson novel.
Linda
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! This is a sequel to "Crashers", also well worth reading! Look for both of them,
once you start, you won't be able to stop until you are finished, and still want more...I contacted the author, he said the next book is coming in March 2013. I will be eagerly awaiting what happens next!
Dana
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Dana by: I read "Crashers"
Completely, totally AWESOME!! I read this one first and was totally hooked! Great male and female characters; good, relateable (is that a real word?) relationships; the research is amazing and very well-presented and totally understandable. Would highly recommend!
Dot
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A plane carrying NTSB crash investigators and a brillant scientist who's designed a nuclear weapon (banned by treaty) crashes mysteriously in Montana forest. Rogue CIA group behind the weapon and fighting assassins,fire,flood the survivors and FBI agent solve it.
Jon
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, series
Excellent sequel to Crashers about an airplane crash unit. This time members of the team are involved in the crash which involves a government conspiracy and a new weapon. Very cinematic, extremely fun to read. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this series.
Kathryn Dysart
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dana Haynes is one of the nicest guys I know. Who would have suspected that he had such an eerily evil imagination? The first dozen pages or so were confusing to me as I hadn't read the first one but after that it was a real page turner.
Robin
Jul 10, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oregon-author
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, can't wait to read this sequel to the CRASHERS by Oregonian Dana Haynes, one of my favorite books last year. Publication due in November 2011.
Debbie
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but over-the-top "Hollywood" type action. Too impossible to be believable.
Charlotte
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Goodreads...I have found a new author I love. This book was as thrilling as the first book 'Crashers' and I look forward to wherever Dana chooses to take his next book!
  • Daniel O'Thunder
  • Unforeseeable (Road to Kingdom #3)
  • Till Death Do Us Purl (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #4)
  • A Lifetime Burning
  • Heart of Ice (Triple Threat, #3)
  • Trackers (Lemmer #2)
  • The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen
  • The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)
  • Cut and Run (Joe Hunter, #4)
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • Mapuche
  • Murder on a Starry Night (Queen Bees Quilt Mystery, #3)
  • A Double Death on the Black Isle
  • We All Fall Down (Michael Kelly, #4)
  • Extinction
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6)

Crashers (2 books)

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99

“The problem with being a really smart prick is, end of the day, you’re still a prick.” 1 likes