Start by marking “Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors” as Want to Read:
Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors

Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Thinking of visiting Portlandia? Discover all that this magical, dreamy city has to offer with PORTLANDIA: A Guide for Visitors. Inside you'll find:

A comprehensive guide to all restaurants and food carts, including extensive use of symbols to signify Vegan, Freegan, Sea-gan, Wheelchair-Accessible, Skateboard-Accessible, Segway-Accessible, Clothing Optional, Polyamorous, LG
Published November 13th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Portlandia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portlandia

Mandi Coyne
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein should be ashamed that a tree had to die in order to print this book.

If you have not seen the show, there's no point in you reading this book. Actually, if you have seen the show there's no point in you reading this book, either.

Throughout the book the authors reference skits they have performed on the show and talk about fictional destinations you can find in "Portlandia." It was not amusing in the least bit. It would have been better if they would have talke
Susan Rose
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a comedy books written by the creators of the show Portlandia, like many comedy books from T.V shows 'The Mighty Book of Boosh', 'The Mitchell and Webb book' this is really only for fans of the show as a lot of the jokes are call backs to the T.V series.

This book is not ground breakingly hilarious but it definitely is amusing and makes me want to re-watch the TV series a lot.

This is a great book to read whilst doing other things or to pick up and put down as it is written in very short
Amber
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Dry and overboard. The copyright page was the most amusing in the whole thing. 200 pages of continuing a joke that was over and told, and which no one would really fully get unless they lived here anyway, after one paragraph. Probably the whole point.
Shayna Ross
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Alright, so first off, don't read this book unless you watched the show. It's honestly not going to make any sense otherwise. Secondly, it's a "guide book" for the city "Portlandia," so it's also not going to have funny stories, it's going to reference generally most things they have done on the show.

With that said and done, Portlandia (the show and this particular guidebook) is something that can come across hilarious, strange, and weirdly sad. It's one of the more culturally and socially in-tu
Angela Stephen
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
did they really need the $ so bad or are their egos just that huge. it's like reading the show. boooo ooooo same on u for killing the trees to produce this. the show is funny...sometimes. they shoulda took all the jokes from this and the 2 tv seasons and made something really good.
Marykay Pogar
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I must move here immediately. It seems they all drive just the way I do. What's a turn signal?
Elizabeth
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
A quirky little parody based on the TV show Portandia. As a fan of the show and a native of Portland, Oregon, I found it to be about as funny as the show. A very quick read.
Tara
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This will only be enjoyable if you have watched the show. If you haven't, I don't think you will understand most of it. I got a good chuckle out of several parts, but it seems redundant if you watched the show and nonsensical if you haven't. This might make a good gag gift.
Heather Allen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so funny and quirky, whether you love the TV show or have ever visited Portland. Some of the commentary is SO quirky that I think if you don't actually LIVE in Portland, you might be missing the joke. It's a quick, fun bathroom or road trip read worth checking out.
Cyndi
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some pages were funny. Others made me say Huh? and turn the page. Basically like the show.
Catherine Baran
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining guidebook on the fictional town of Portlandia. Just like the TV series, this guide takes in the sights, quirks and oddballs that you'd come across if this place as it is in the series did in fact exist.
I found myself repeatedly giggling to myself and drawing strange looks when reading entries like the 'Artist living on the Frontier Properties' - a real estate agency that specializes in what at best can be described as hipster-chic. Or as they aptly put it "The place is a cle
Sean
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Fred and Carrie's podcast interviews on their impressions of Portland are more funny and interesting than this faux travel guide. A quirky look at the actual Portland from their perspectives might have been amusing, esp. since some of the best similar guides (like Chuck Palahniuk's Fugitives and Refugees) are outdated already, not long after their publication. Instead, we have rehashes of skits mainly from season two, which was much less funny than the first. Although this isn't a book on the re ...more
Mary Lazowski
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here's the deal: If you love the show, you'll love the book. If you are not into the show at all, you'll probably hate it. Personally, I adore the show, and I find this book to be the perfect companion for it. It's filled with hilarious inside jokes that only fans of the show will truly get, and they touch base on pretty much every character from the first two seasons, including guests. Because of this, if there's a sketch or character you don't care for, you most likely will not enjoy their por ...more
Diana
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor
A few chuckles here and there, but generally - if you've watched Portlandia, you don't need to read this. If you've read Stuff White People like, you don't need to read this. This book feels like one big "inside" joke for Portlanders - except the premise falls flat because they rehash every joke and stereotype about hipsters thats been made over the last few years.

There's really nothing fresh they introduce here, at one point Fred and Carrie basically take one of the show's first scenes from the
Ana Rodriguez
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
The Portlandia book is a must have guide for visitors traveler’s guide .
People might find themselves wandering around the streets of Portland without this guide.
Armisen and Brownstein have given fans an exclusive look into their version of the city. The book features a very detailed maps of the second season’s Brunch Village, as well as in-depth coded guide to Portlandia’s local dining scene.
This is a guide to all restaurants and food carts, and places.
Accessible, Clothing Optional, and very det
Mike
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Nice recycling of the hipster parody TV series, designed as a tour book.

Printing notes...This book was printed on 130% recycled paper in a peanut-free, smoke-free plant by local workers in a friendly and fair environment, free from sudden noises and unnatural light. By 130% recycled paper, we mean that any papers touching the paper that touched this book was printed on were subsequently destroyed and reconstituted for future use in other publications. etc

I played rhythm triangle but everyone tho
Margaret
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
For fun, I bought this book at Powell's City of Books and read it in Portland. Most of the material is directly related to the TV series of the same name, and the comments from the "Mayor" were humorous (especially the Portlandia suggested reading list). The observational humor is still spot on for Portland, and overall this quick read was a nice review and support to the TV show between seasons. There is not much original material, but for fans it is an addition to the body of work about Portla ...more
Robert
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a companion book to the comedy TV show, Portlandia, based in the city stuck in the 90's grunge/hippie culture Portland, Oregon. It works as a sort of guide book for the community in a humorous setting and layout. Although I've found the show quite quirky and humorous the book was bland in comparison. In some respects it explained some stuff that was on the show but somehow seems to be lost a bit in the translation to book form. Ironicly it was one of those rare situations that the book v ...more
Victoria
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Since Portlandia is one of my favorite shows I knew that I would love this book. Each section is based on one part of Portlandia. Different charectors such as Nina and Lance and even the Rats talk about all there is to do and see in the great Portlandia. The Mayer (i.e. Kyle MacLachlan provides a an "official" welcome letter.

If you like the series then you'll enjoy this book.

Rock on Portlandia
Tina
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hilarious! If you love the show, you will laugh out loud reading the book.

"If you're used to driving in another city, you may find Portlandia a bit frustrating at first. Motorists here don't 'drive,' by most definitions of the word."

"Add a blend of bicycles, streetcars, homemade vehicles, unscheduled roadwork, constant downpour, and free-range animals to the roadways and you've got a recipe for Portlandia driving!"
Rand McGreal
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
An admirable extension of the tv show. Just as funny and ironic. I laughed every four pages and out loud at least as many times. This is not a travel guide since many of the places mentioned are fictional or have a different name in real life. The book does capture the show in its clever format, a combination of a funky web blog and doodles. It is a definite smile-maker. It is better than any other tv show, but not as good as the tv show. It is in color! Enjoy!
Kathryn Lindsay
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought this book at Powell's Books as a souvenir when I visited Portland last year. I am a fan of the TV show and it was fun reading the book and reminiscing about some of my favourite Portlandia sketches. I love the 'Women and Women First FEMzine' in the middle of the book. A nice addition would have been a list of some of the filming locations (I ended up looking up a few on the Web to visit while I was there). Overall a short, fun read for fans of the TV show, with lots of illustrations.
Kenny
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
It recycles a lot of the characters and scenarios from the series, which I like, but it transplants them into an actual guidebook for someone, which made me sad I don't live in Portland anymore. Also, there are no other races featured - but it knowingly pokes fun at itself in this regard. There's a section that says it's like New Orleans except with the Cajun, French, Spanish, Caribbean, Creole influences removed. True dat!
Sarah Lee
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
It was funny, however a lot of it was rehash of stuff you have already seen in the show. I did get a few giggles from it, so definitely flip through it. It's not something that I would purposely pay for however, I just borrowed it from the library. I don't think it is worth paying for and you would never have any need to reread it. It's a bunch of small snippets just like the show.
Sandra
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Good for some laughs. Much of it is in reference to or a rehash of things they've done on the show. Highlights for me: vegan cupcake recipe from the feminist bookstore insert, first "Portland by car" guide (basically, don't drive here!), mayor's fave reggae joints. If you don't find the show funny, you're not the target audience for this book.
Andrew Uys
Jul 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I haven't seen the show, but plan to this weekend after reading this hilarious book. And I especially enjoyed the tiny shout out to one of my fav graphic novels, Stumptown! Quick & easy to read, I can definitely see why folks have been recommending the show if its anywhere nearly as funny as this "companion" book.
Michelle Tempted By Books
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Exactly like the television program. I love the show, one of few that I actually make an effort to watch in fact. This book covers all the same topics and has the same humor. Notes and recommendations from show characters are also included. I can't tell you the number of times I laughed out loud.
Lisbet
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Basically a book version of the show; you hear a bit more from your favorite characters, but you also have to sift through long retreads of almost every skit from the tv show. Probably only 20% of this book is new material overall.
Maria Carson
Mar 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought this book was simply not that funny. It mostly recapped the shorts from season 1 and 2 -- but not in any sort of organized or systematized way. The biggest problem I had with the book that it simply wasn't as quirky-funny as the show is.
Marcela Sara
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, own-it
I won this book in a First Reads Giveaway. I love Carrie Brownstein. I love Sleater-Kinney. That is all. I thought it was great. Thank you for the book! I can't wait to visit Portland myself one day!
  • Rancid Pansies (Gerald Samper #3)
  • 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late: and the Very Best Places to Eat Them
  • Requiem for a Paper Bag: Celebrities and Civilians Tell Stories of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Found Items from Around the World (Found Anthology)
  • Our Front Pages: 21 Years of Greatness, Virtue, and Moral Rectitude from America's Finest News Source (Onion Presents)
  • Sh*t Girls Say
  • Be Quiet, Bird!
  • The Last Guru
  • AIA Guide to New York City: The Classic Guide to New York's Architecture
  • Undateable: 311 Things Guys Do That Guarantee They Won't Be Dating or Having Sex
  • Kana de Manga: A Fun, Easy Way to Learn the ABCs of Japanese!
  • Jetlag
  • Demon Blood: Enlightenment (Demon Blood #1)
  • Poets' Guide to America
  • Getting Away With It
  • Single and Sexy Confessions (Hardcore Hotels Volumes 1-4)
  • Blue Note: The Album Cover Art