Start by marking “Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke” as Want to Read:
Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke

Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A lyric story originally published in 1906.
34 pages
Published 1949 by A.A.M. Stols (first published 1906)

Be the first to ask a question about Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke

Jean-Paul Walshaw-Sauter
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

description

"Reiten, reiten, reiten durch den Tag, durch die Nacht, durch den Tag.

Reiten, reiten, reiten.

Und der Mut ist so müde geworden und die Sehnsucht so gross".

Die Weise von Liebe und Tod des Cornets Christoph Rilke (The Love and Death of Cornet Christopher Rilke) is a prose poem written by Rainer Maria Rilke in 1899, revised in 1906, and published in 1912. Rilke's inspiration to write this poem was sparked by a document found in his family’s possession about Christoph Rilke, who he erroneously believ
André Carreira
In this tale, Rilke conjures up the violence and energy and despair of war; he does so through the use of symbolism and conscientious scarcity of prose. Imagery is often metaphorical and sentences are mostly short, pungent. They exceed themselves and, all at once, we sense the power of the author's imagination and feeling.
One would find the lack of battle descriptions and gruesome deaths something odd, were it not for Rilke's magical and (sometimes) childlike sense of humanity, his symbolic foc
Mohammad Ali
مهمترین نکته: دو ستاره را به این کتاب داده ام، نه اصل آن

نخست باید اعتراض کنم به چاپ بد کتاب. از نظر زیبایی چاپ، فاجعه است کتاب. فونت ها و چینش متن ها همه حکایت از بی سلیقگی دارند

در مرتبه ی بعد باید خدا رو شکر کنم که اصل آلمانی اثر هم در این کتاب آمده است. در صفحات سمت راست ترجمه ی فارسی و در صفحات سمت چپ اصل آلمانی و ترجمه ی انگلیسی آمده اند. ظاهرا هم ترجمه از روی انگلیسی است، هر چند عبداللهی آن را با آلمانی مقابله کرده. اشتباهات ظاهرا معدودی دارد - مثلا کلمه ای را در جایی اشتباه ترجمه کرده یا
Cristina
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides this epic poem, I must admit that I have'n read much from Rilke, just a few poems. I must say, that The Lay of the Love and Death of Cornet Christopher Rilke is indeed an incredible piece of writing (it is really short).
When I read something I really like to get the whole picture in my head, so I really...REALLY... like descriptive literature, but the image I got from this poem is is that of a dream-like-action.
I honesty could not make the difference between what was real and what was
Laginestra
Strano testo, il Cornet. Frammenti poetici, fotografie antinarrative, accostate e ordinate, quasi a lasciare a noi lettori il dipanamento del filo che dal "cavalcare" iniziare conduce al triste "ridente gioco d'acqua". Già. Strano testo, il Cornet.
Robert Isenberg
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've long desired to translate Rilke -- one of the greatest poets ever to write in German -- and luckily, many American editions are printed bilingually. When I found a copy of "Die Weise von Liebe und Tod" in the library for 50 cents, I figured I could translate (with dictionary on hand), and then cross-reference it with a definitive English version.

As it happens, this book is unusually easy to read. Rilke wrote it early on, and there is a narrative woven throughout, reading more like the tone-
Jim
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“And the night is near around him and cool. And he asks a woman who bends toward him, Are you the night?”

A minor Romantic prose-poem written by the young Rilke, an adolescent fantasy of sexual initiation and heroic death, based on his kinsman Christoph, a young soldier who served and died in the Austro-Turkish war of the early 1660s. The poem became wildly popular, outselling some of Rilke's later, more mature works. This translation is by Stephen Mitchell, whose translations of Genesis and The
D.S. Mattison
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the dark and beautiful
Recommended to D.S. by: it recommended itself to me
Riding, riding, riding.......into the black blank space of war. If there ever was a Goth poem this is it: "His gloves lie on the floor. His flag stands steeply, leaned against the window-cross. It is black and slender. Outside a storm drives over the sky, making pieces of the night, white ones and black ones. The moonlight goes by like a long lightning-flash, and the unstirring flag has restless shadows. It dreams." Worth reading to moody storm like music.
Nícolas
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prosa poética da melhor qualidade. Li que muitas das rimas se perdem na tradução. Contudo, o imagético é muito forte. As descrições são belas e hipnotizantes. A narrativa que vai se construindo aos pedaços exige que façamos uma releitura para apreender tudo melhor.
Robert Simmons
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Rilke, to whom Gass directed me, and the influence on Gass is certainly apparent. Given the bold clarity of form and the flashes of montage-like poetic detail, Rilke seems even proto-Eisensteinian in this short piece.
Baxevanidou Faye
Βιβλίο που μπορεί να διαβαστεί και να ξαναδιαβαστεί καθώς περνάνε τα χρόνια. Η μετάβαση ενός νέου από παιδί σε άντρα και η αγάπη της γυναίκας, της μάνας, της ερωμένης. " Όχι μόνο να, είναι που γλίστρησε απτους ώμους του ο τρόπος των παιδιών - το απαλό τούτο σκούρο ρούχο." Το λάτρεψα. ...more
Lysergius
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Die bis heute bestehende Faszination des >>Cornet<< geht von der lyrischen Sprache aus, den jurzen, staccatoartigen Saetze, der Mussikalitaet und dem Rhythmus, der Anschaulichkeit des Textes.
Dana Kabel
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best epic poem ever, and my favorite Rilke work. I've read this book at least a dozen times over the years.
Christian Krüger
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eine schöne Sprache. In der vorliegenden Neuausgabe finden sich auch Illustrationen, die sowohl mit dem Text korrespondieren als auch eine Eigenständigkeit haben.
David Meijer
actually my family read it, parts i only listened
Websterdavid3
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetic story of marching to war and death by the master poet.

I read it because it was top seller before and after WWI in Germany.
Not sure what to think
Meikoningin
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in German.
Harry Allagree
This is Rilke's "story of his ancestor's chilling demise on military duty in mysterious central Europe."
Kim
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like a good poem this deserves many readings. This beautiful little book was translated from German. The language is beset with colorful images. A book to ponder and enjoy.
Mo
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, aufdeutsch
My first foray into the poetry of Rilke. An archetypal tale with an enchanting lyricism and a strong "voice," a sense of the uniqueness and individuality of the poet.
David
  • Das Urteil und andere Prosa
  • Selected Poems
  • In the Western Night: Collected Poems, 1965-1990
  • The Life of an Amorous Woman and Other Writings
  • Der Todesstoß (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #3)
  • Minna von Barnhelm
  • Fábula de Polifemo y Galatea
  • Jméno větru - kniha první (Kronika Královraha, #1)
  • The Collected Poems
  • Yalnızlık Paylaşılmaz
  • Das Kalte Herz
  • Schloß Gripsholm
  • La Ronde
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...

“They grope before them like blind people and find each the other as they would a door. Almost like children that dread the night, they press close into each other. And yet they are not afraid. There is nothing that might be against them: no yesterday, no morrow; for time is shattered. And they flower from its ruins.
He does not ask: 'Your husband?'
She does not ask: 'Your name?'
For indeed they have found each other, to be unto themselves a new generation.
They will give each other a hundred new names and take them all off again, gently, as one takes an earring off.”
5 likes
“Reiten, reiten, reiten, durch den Tag,
durch die Nacht, durch den Tag.
Reiten, reiten, reiten. Und der Mut ist so müde geworden
und die Sehnsucht so groß. Es gibt keine Berge mehr,
kaum einen Baum. Nichts wagt aufzustehen.
Fremde Hütten hocken durstig an versumpften Brunnen.
Nirgends ein Turm. Und immer das gleiche Bild.
Man hat zwei Augen zuviel. Nur in der Nacht
manchmal glaubt man den Weg zu kennen.
Vielleicht kehren wir nächtens immer wieder
das Stück zurück, das wir in der fremden Sonne
mühsam gewonnen haben? Es kann sein.
Die Sonne ist schwer, wie bei uns tief im Sommer.
Aber wir haben im Sommer Abschied genommen.
Die Kleider der Frauen leuchteten lang aus dem Grün.
Und nun reiten wir lang. Es muß also Herbst sein.
Wenigstens dort, wo traurige Frauen von uns wissen.”
1 likes