Start by marking “A Flight of Angels” as Want to Read:
A Flight of Angels

A Flight of Angels

The diverse mythology of angels is explored in this lushly painted graphic novel from high-profile fantasy authors including Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles) and Bill Willingham (FABLES).Deep in the woods outside of a magical kingdom, a strange group of faeries and forest creatures discover a nearly dead angel, bleeding and unconscious with a sword by his side. They ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Vertigo (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Flight of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Flight of Angels

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Lovely art elevates a so-so collection of short stories about angels. Rebecca Guay, in my opinion, is one of the most talented illustrators I've ever seen. The artwork is classic but ephemeral with tasteful nudes and multi-layered backgrounds. In a word: gorgeous.

I picked this one up because of The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen. In that book, as in this, I loved the art but thought that the story was predictable. I feel like the authors that Guay has partnered with, at least so far, don't measure up
Jillian -always aspiring-
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy stories built around lore, mythology, and even fairy tales
Angels. The world seems to be obsessed with them, given all the art and fiction we devote to their names. Some people see angels as their muses, creatures to worship, guardians who protect the meek and oppressed, or even just avenging warriors who wage a great war of good and evil which we humans cannot see. But what is truth when it comes to these creatures? Is there any truth in the jumble of tales that surround them?

A Flight of Angels begins with a seemingly ominous occurrence: an angel sudde
Michelle Morrell
In the woods, an angel falls. Those who find him, a collection of fae, decide to hold a tribunal to decide if he lives or dies, and tell stories of angels to help judge.

The art was lovely and the stories are versions of what we've all heard, skewed as appropriate to the viewpoint of fae. A little twee and overly romanticized for my tastes, but pretty while it happens.
Sesana
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins when an angel falls to earth. A passing group of fairies decide to hold a tribunal to decide his fate, telling stories to illuminate the nature of angels. Each story is written by a different author, but illustrated by the same artist. That's what really surprised me, that the same artist was so adept at handling such different styles. The stories are short, very short, but emotionally powerful and memorable. And so, surprisingly, is the framing story. This is a very quick read, ...more
Kate
When a group of faeries, fauns, and the like find an angel fallen in the forest, they decide to tell stories of why the angel has fallen, and the judge will decide what to do with the angel. The stories range from re-imaginings of the Biblical tales to folksy tales.

First off, the illustrations are gorgeous. I often found myself stopping to just look at the artwork. The stories were all interesting, I especially liked the alternate version of the Garden of Eden story. What I wasn't a huge fan of
B.C.
Nov 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was received for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I was excited to read this graphic novel as it has been a while since I read a graphic novel cover to cover; the reason being that most graphic novels fall into two categories for me: GN’s that focus on the art and care little of the writing and GN’s that care more for the writing and little of the art. There are only a few gems out there that have both beautiful art and beautiful writing. This book is unfortunately no exception. This
May
The main problem with anthologies or when you have multiple contributing writers is the inconsistent storytelling. My favorite story was "Original Sin" by Louise Hawes. I loved how everything knew about the Adam and Eve story got turned upside down, that an angel played a major role in human's "downfall" and that ultimately, the "expulsion" from Eden was a choice. Normally I love Bill Willingham but his story "The Story Within the Story Within" was mundane compared to Alisa Kwitney's "Chaya Sura ...more
Malwae
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 11 year olds who think the Twilight saga is, like, totally mindblowing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The premise for this book is just fine - (some fae come across a wounded and unconscious angel in the woods, and tell each other stories about angels to figure out if they should kill it or let it live), but even allowing for the tradition that fae are shallow and unsophisticated in their understanding of the way non-fae operate, each story is still trite and takes itself far too seriously. The art really wants to be on the cover of a cheesy bodice ripper, and the one story which had some depth ...more
Kuroi
It was a pretty cool story-telling concept, the trial method, but I thought the stories themselves were sort of meh. The Adam and Eve story was preachy, the guardian angel was a bit silly, the Hamaliel story was pointless and some of the others was just old hash.
The art was on and off for me.
Overall, a fairly diverting read.
Christoph
"Occasionally, there are battles in the sky (..)"

Woher es auch kommen mag, das lag über viele Jahre auf meinem Nachtkasterl-Stoß" herum. Dort gelegentlich Inventur zu machen, lohnt sich hin und wieder. :) Immer wieder hab ich da mal reingeblättert und muss gestehen, dass mich der Zeichenstil nicht gerade *räusper* angesprochen hat. Jedoch .. die Namen der AutorInnen auf dem Buchumschlag gewannen langsam mehr an Bedeutung für mich und die Neugierde wurde größer ... und ich wurde nicht enttäuscht.
JD Estrada
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeously drawn fairy tale with angels. That's the best way I can describe this angelic Arabian Nights like book.

In a mystical forest, magical creatures find themselves with an angel in front of them. The angel is unconscious... possibly dying. But definitely not awake. They ponder over its nature and come to the realization that they need to decide what to do with it. It's not of their kind. It doesn't belong there. Yet who are they to judge... and what would be the reasons to judge?

The real
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Faes of the World, Unite!
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Angels and Faes
I got totally interested in the ethereal mythology of angels in this dreamily painted graphic novel, from the magically created cover art. Woot! Holly Black is in it; it has to be five stars! It also features Rebecca Guay's artwork.
In a magical kingdom, deep in the woods, faeries and forest creatures discover a nearly dead angel, bleeding and unconscious, with a sword. They call a tribunal to decide his fate, each telling stories that delve into different interpretations of these winged, celesti
Morgoth Jr
The art's nice, I'll give it that
Chloe
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Heidi
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed here.

Occasionally, there are battles in the sky. One likes to imagine angels as always triumphant. One does not like to think of the ancient and terrible scales balancing the infernal and divine as a wobbling back and forth. Tilting freely to and fro.

One does not like to think that sometimes it is the angel that falls.

An angel falls to ground, grievously injured and unconscious in the land of the fairies. A lord, a maid, a hag, and a trickster sit tribunal over his fate, wit
Alex Telander
Every once in a while a graphic novel comes along that steals the show on whatever it’s competing with on the shelf or display or endcap; A Flight of Angels is one of those books. The cover catches the eye with its color, complexity and style, right away piquing one’s interest, and then known names like Bill Willingham and Holly Black force the curious reader to pick it up and start reading.

Talented artist Rebecca Guay is known for illustrating fantasy and children’s books, including stories by
Karissa
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The back copy does a great job of summarizing this. Basically an angel falls from the sky and a group of faeries find him. They then conduct a tribunal to decide what to do with him. As part of this tribunal each of the faeries tell a story of where they think the angel came from and how he ended up fallen.

The main story including the faeries was done in sepia tones while the stories that they tell (each one by a different author) were done in full color. There is a variety of artistic style thr
Samantha Tai
This graphic novel has beautiful illustrations and I can see why it is one of YALSA's top ten graphic novels of 2012. The story also goes very well with the illustrations.

When an angel falls into a dark forest, the magical creatures of the forest must decide the fate of the angel. They decide to call a tribunal and each tell a story about who they think this mysterious creature is.

Conceived and illustrated by Rebecca Guay, each story is written by a different author. The only author I was famil
Katya
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An angel falls in a forest and is discovered by fae, who are believed by some to be fallen angels themselves. They are unsure if the angel should live or die, and thus conduct a tribunal of stories to decide the angel's fate.

It's short, for a graphic novel, and there's not much meat to it. However, the art is stunning enough to more than make up for it. I read the story in a couple of hours, but I could have spent many more just studying the details of the illustrations. There's no doubt that Re
Ari Eris
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This lovely story reads just like an old fairytale, updated for a 21st-century audience, with feminist undertones and pop-adjusted folklore. The art, telling each story in a different style, is as stunning as the concept is unique. I wish this stand-alone was an ongoing series! Fans of The Sandman and Angel Sanctuary will want to check this one out. Trust me, I'm picky about my angel stories - this wonderful book tops my list.
Krystl Louwagie
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These illustrations are SO BEAUTIFUL. Also, the stories are good, and sad, and lovely, and interesting all at once. There's love and pain and lessons and themes and just about everything packed into this tiny volume, just the way short stories should be. Loved it.
Dan
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay stories about angels. Stunning artwork.
Melissa C
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art in this graphic novel is stunningly lovely. It has hints of Art Nouveau and traditional fairy paintings combined with a modern sense of freedom and movement. The use of color and shading is wonderful, too. The beauty of the visuals almost makes up for what ultimately is a frame story without a satisfying ending. The parts (component short stories) don't really integrate, and the frame story sort of falls apart.
Katherine Diduch
A group of fae creatures stumble across an angel. They form a tribunal to judge whether to let him live and through five different stories, reveal different aspects and interpretations as to what an angel is. Fantastic read. Beautiful and astounding.
Anna
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An angel falls from the sky and is found by a motley group of faeries, who entertain themselves by telling angel-related stories to decide whether their prisoner should live or die. The art is beautiful, but the stories are so-so; I enjoyed one or two of them, but the others were kind of 'meh'.
Mandaray
An interesting idea with gorgeous art, but some of the stories felt a little lacking. I guess I was hoping for something a bit more grandiose and tragic, which alas are two counts that this volume falters on. Still, I didn't feel like I wasted my time.
James
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicbooks, dc-marvel
An interesting take on the evils of being perfect. A creature with perfect love would also have perfect hate. People need to be allowed to make mistakes or else they will never grow. Some really great artwork. I quite enjoyed this book.
Panagiotis Panagiotidis
Great artwork, but the stories wasn't as good as I expected.
Heather
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a good story, but the artwork was absolutely stunning and definitely what I will be recommending it for.
Eileen Walsh
A Flight of Angels opens with a group of mythic creatures finding a nearly dead angel. A tribunal is called and the creatures tell stories that explore the various mythologies of angels.
2013 Hub Reading ...: A Flight of Angels 4 6 Mar 12, 2013 07:22AM
  • The Last Dragon
  • Kind (The Good Neighbors, #3)
  • The Book of Ballads
  • Dawn Land
  • The Books of Faerie
  • Once Upon a Time Machine
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!
  • Gone to Amerikay
  • Ichiro
  • Fairest, Volume 1: Wide Awake
  • Americus
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
“Occasionally, there are battles in the sky. One likes to imagine the angels are always triumphant. One does not like to think of the ancient and terrible scales balancing the infernal and divine as wobbling back and forth. Tilting freely, to and fro. One does not like to think that sometimes it is the angel that falls.” 12 likes
“Most people would call me incompetent, clumsy, flawed..."

"A pearl is a flaw. A diamond is an accident of nature. In all of creation, there's nothing more precious than the unexpected deviation.”
8 likes