Start by marking “Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes” as Want to Read:
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes

Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  635 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes presents the essential principles and methods for planning and sequencing yoga classes. Addressing one of the most popular topics in the yoga profession, this book offers sixty-seven model sequences of yoga poses (asanas) that cover the broad range of yoga student experience, including multiple sequences for beginning, ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by North Atlantic Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga Sequencing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga Sequencing

Beth Honeycutt
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, as I read the assigned parts of this book, I kept thinking "Oh my, can I do this? Can I plan classes with all the different asanas geared toward the level of class I am teaching?"

I am excited (and a little scared) but I can. Yoga has so many benefits. Breath and movement - that's the basis and what I believe I can do.
Mary
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have Mark Stephens other book, which I owned even before I began teaching yoga, and cherish the information in that one. I love this book as a resource for my yoga teaching now,as I have evolved and gotten more confidence, and am ready to play with class sequence more. This book gets in depth on class flow and how to sequence for a variety of students and populations. It's precise, easy to read(plus you can jump around easily, if you need to reference something!), and full of information.
Shannon
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a fabulous book to have if you are serious about yoga (which I never thought I would be) and want to be able to do your own thing with confidence. My yoga teacher suggested it and I refer back to it often. I have no doubt this book will get continual use.
Smooth
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un must pour les profs de yoga, jeunes et peut être même moins jeunes. Je relis régulièrement ce livre et ses conseils inspirants
Dani Neaux
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga-practice
I love this book. I can't believe this book wasn't required reading for my YTT, it was THAT good.

Yoga teachers, you need this in your library. It gives you Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced sequences with themes like Back bends, forward bends, standing balance, inversions...

It also provides a clear format to follow for creating your own sequence, and well as basic and advanced cues for a sequence. A nice refresher if you learned it during your TT but misplaced your notes ;)

My favorite part
Carol
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
I ordered this book looking for ideas for creative yoga sequencing. I got ideas but not necessarily ideas I will use. It was good to read a different philosophy and approach to yoga and be able to compare to what I have learned. While there was some overlap and consistency, there were differences of opinion. I will use bits and pieces but the majority of my students could not approach yoga the way it is laid out in most of the 65 sequences he provides. That is not to say there are not many peopl ...more
Erika
I highly recommend the two Mark Stephens books I've read - He not only touches on the traditional approaches to yoga sequencing and how a teacher can adjust a practice to a wide variety of students, but he also addresses specific practices to the gunas, chakra specific practices, age specific practices and principles on how to create your own structured classes.
Tameeka
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yogi
This book gives focused sequences for body parts, age groups, and doshas too! Helpful for the beginner yoga teacher. Great reference point for yoga teachers of varying levels of expertise. I will be turning to this book often to help when designing a class.
Lisa Hazen
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will likely be flipping through this book for years. My only suggestion is to add ideas for helping transition students from beginning to intermediate, and then to advanced. And also, deconstructing more difficult poses, especially head and handstands.
Cherie
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must for every yoga teacher. I have used lots of the sequences from here already, or modified. Lots of great ideas, lots of basics. Wish I had read this in my teacher training; it is that good!
SarahYogaH20
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is invaluable! I refer to it ALL the time! The sequences illustrated for beginners are good if you take out all the sun salutations, most beginners that I encounter are not ready for them.
Mari Shirley
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, excellent advice. Should be required reading for any yoga teacher.
Julikerr
I will use over and over
Amelia S.
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
As a newish teacher I refer to this book almost weekly. It's like my asana bible. A must have for a vinyasa or similar teacher.
Rhegan Lundborg
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the whole book. As a beginner teacher it gave me an abundance of courage.
Lisa
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional tool

Great detail on sequencing classes for any level, plus information on specialty classes. Logical methodology explained and illustrations clearly detail class flow.
Abby
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
A must have for every yogi bookshelf.
Nancie
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the bible of sequencing for yoga teachers.
Arlene
Kate
Jul 05, 2013
Stacie
Sep 05, 2017
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual
More about Mark Stephens...
“yoga is not a practice of attaining idealized physical postures, but a process of self-exploration, self-acceptance, and self-transformation. Reinforce” 2 likes
“The more you know, the more you don't know," the further you go in your training, learning, and experience as a yoga teacher, the more you'll realize that there's an infinite universe of knowledge and wisdom to bring to the practice.” 0 likes