Start by marking “Hippospotamus” as Want to Read:
Hippospotamus

Hippospotamus

Hippopotamus had a spotamus . . . on her bottomus!
"It's Measles!" said Weasel.
"It's Hippopox!" said Fox.
"It's Jungle Fever!" said Beaver.

But in the end the spotamus turned out to be something hilariously unexpected!
Published September 6th 2012 by Andersen (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hippospotamus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hippospotamus

Bookstork Buzz
Dec 03, 2013 Bookstork Buzz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A rhyming book and a whole lotta silly fun! Hippopotamus has a spotamus on her bottomus. but whatever could it be?

“It’s measels,” says the Weasel. “You sat in a breezle and caught a diseasel.

“It’s Hippopox!” says the Fox. But Beaver says it’s Jungle Fever, Lion says it’s Hippolumps, Shrew believes it’s Potomumps and if Rhino says it’s Hippoflu, really, no one has a clue. Oh, dear, what will spotty hippo do?

She’ll scrub her skin with icky soot, from “..noseymus to footimus, but the spotamus stay
Arminzerella
Hippopotamus discovers a red spot on her bottom(us) and tries to do something about it. Her friends and acquaintances all have ideas about what may have caused it and how Hippopotamus can cure it. To no avail - none of their treatments work. Hippopotamus remains be-spotted until a boy makes a positive identification. Not a spot after all, it's a...well, that would be telling.

This story is silly, but fun to read. Hippo would do well to see a professional for any future ailments (fraudulent medica
Nola
Mar 26, 2015 Nola rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about a hippopotamus that has a troubling red spot on her behind. All of her jungle friends offer suggestions about what it is and how to get rid of it, with hilarious results. A young boy eventually solves the mystery.

There's a lot of great wordplay in this book. For example, the weasel suggests it's measles: "You sat in a breezle / And caught a diseasel/ There's only one treatment / Exposing your seatment / To sunshine and heatment." The illustrations are also fun.

The seve
Laura Z
Apr 11, 2013 Laura Z rated it did not like it
I'm sure most will Loooove this book, but NOTamus LauraAnnOttamos. And, yes, the rhymes in the book are just as rediculousimos!
Beyond the Pages
Feb 02, 2015 Beyond the Pages rated it liked it
I liked the word play, but the ending was yucky.
Stefanie Kellum
Jan 17, 2014 Stefanie Kellum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Laugh-out-loud funny! A personal favorite for sure. :)
Natalie
Oct 13, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
This is a funny and charming story about a Hippo with a spot on his bottom. The story follows him as he and his friends try to work out what it could be. There are normal words as well as nonsense words which makes it more interesting, and there is also rhyme within the story, which always bodes well with young children.
Marjorie
Aug 04, 2013 Marjorie rated it liked it
I was in the public library looking for some books recommended in a prof dev class....I crouched down to look at a low shelf and heard in a teeny kid voice, "hello, I know you! you're from my school! ". I peeked through the shelf and sure enough, there were two students from the elementary school.

I said hello to them and then was bombarded with questions as per usual from 1st graders.

I told them I was glad to see them in the public library. they asked if I was checking out books for the school
Layla & Rachel
Apr 29, 2013 Layla & Rachel rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
We're just going to put the spoiler of Jeanne Willis' Hippospotamus right out there. (view spoiler)

We did not like this book. We suppose that Layla and Rachel are just not the type of people that enjoy reading about (view spoil
Philippa Rae
Jun 18, 2013 Philippa Rae rated it it was amazing
Hippospotamus is another hilarious picture book from duo Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross. The entertaining text is perfectly complemented by clear comical illustrations.

There’s real enjoyment to be had with the play on words – “hotmus”, “grotamus” and “spotamus” to give but a few examples. The silly nonsense element of both the tale and its structured rhyming wordplay are the perfect ingredients to engage young children. Also an excellent way of delivering different sounds. The story is told efficie
Carly
Mar 09, 2013 Carly rated it it was amazing
Hippospotamus is an absolutely hilarious book that is now safely nestled on our favourites shelf! We are huge fans of rhyming books but we think this book tops any we have ever read!

My daughter's attention was riveted to every page and really there is nothing better than a child laughing out loud at a book from start to finish - also when a child says " please read it again!"

The Illustrations are full of fun, life and are just a wonderful complement to this humourous story!

The storyline follows
Libby
Jul 15, 2014 Libby rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, funny
This is one that my kids loved that I just didn't. Yet enough forced rereads are starting to wear me down. The premise is that the hippopotamus has a spot(amus) on her...yes, the rhyming is important...and all her friends try to help her figure out what it is and get rid of it. My initial reaction (the spoiler is that it's a piece of chewing gum, whose owner rescues and continues chewing it) was "ewwww." But constant repetition has finally gotten me somewhat more into the spirit of fun sill ...more
Sandy
Apr 07, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, animals
I thought this book was very cute. Hippopotamus has a spotamus. The rhymes are funny and the illustrations are great. Kids get a kick out of nonsensical words. Why do you think there are so many Dr. Seuss books? Kids will have fun with this book and they do understand, with explaining, when it's ok to show your behind to others (to doctors and nurses, and moms and dads), and not to eat bubble gum off an animals backside or frontside. Make-believe is a very easy concept to kids. Some kids may say ...more
Round Lake Area Library Youth Services Department
When a hippopotamus discovers a spot on her bottom, it seems every creature in the jungle knows what it is and how to cure it.

This is such a cute, silly funny picture book that was such a joy to read! I am a big fan of rhyming picture books and this one does not disappoint and reminds me of Dr. Seuss’ style of rhyming. This story would be perfect to introduce jungle animals to your child and both child and parent will enjoy the hilarious ending that finally lets you know what the spot is on Hipp
milk book
Sep 04, 2016 milk book rated it it was amazing
“Hippopotamus had a spotamus…on her bottomus!” Gasp and giggle, and let the silliness begin. A fun and rhyming romp follows, in which the other animals weigh in on the cause and the cure. The pictures just add to all the fun. This is a favourite in our house.
Elisabeth
Aug 25, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Zany play on words - would make a fun read-aloud. Favorite part is that it isn't over done. It seems like sometimes when authors hit on a clever idea they do it do death (at least 4 pages too much). Yes, writer, you should be proud that you found yet another way to keep your idea going - but I'm reading to four-year-olds here. Edit it down dude. Least favorite part was the ending - I kinda gagged a little. :|
Caroline
A great tale for ages 4+. Hippo has a spotamus on her bottomus and all the animals try to help diagnose and offer remedies for the potential ailments, until a boy comes and reveals the true nature of hippo's spot!

Amazing use of rhyming and silly language to keep kids and adults laughing. Good for children who have an attention span that can follow the silly language. Didn't work for my 3-year-olds in my storytime, but I think older kids (4-7) would enjoy.
Abby
Jan 30, 2013 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's no easy feat to make up words that rhyme with "hippopotamus" and have them work out, but Willis does just that! Poor Hippopotamus has a spot on her bottomous, and the other animals all offer their opinions on what it is and what she should do to banish the spot. Hilarious suggestions lead to an even more hilarious resolution that will leave readers young and old exclaiming out loud.
Monica
Aug 13, 2013 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THE GOOD: Clever to the extreme. Fun, Seussical-ish rhyming.
THE BAD: I agree with so many previous reviewers; the storyline is problematic. The target audience should be taught personal safety, not having every possible character investigating one's bottomus, and stroking and poking it. The end took me by surprise. This will be funny to some, and be in extreme poor taste to others.
Ariel Cummins
Jan 13, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A silly story about a hippopotamus who gets a spotamus on her bottomus. Lots of crazy word play, rhyming, and made up words in this one makes it a natural readaloud.

Bright art with lots of irreverent details match the zany text.

Preschoolers might like the wordplay and lyrical nature of this book, or it might flop. It would definitely depend on the group!
Summer
Jul 06, 2016 Summer rated it it was amazing
While not exactly Caldecott material, asks more questions than it answers, a little inappropriate in some spots, this book was still hilarious and we all had a good time reading it and laughing wildly over it. That, my friend, is what matters most and why I'm giving it a perfect score. Bravo, Jeanne Willis!
JoEllen Mccarthy
Oct 04, 2012 JoEllen Mccarthy rated it liked it
Funny, rhyming word play.
HippoSPOTamus, had a spot on her bottomus... hippo asks for help figuring out what her spot was from. She gets advice from alotamus (get it)...
Silly ending - no spoilers here. Cute for a read aloud K-2.
Shamekia
Dec 19, 2013 Shamekia rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is also another humorous book that will remind you of any Dr. Seuss classic. It has a fun and rhyming cadence and is full of made-up words that children will enjoy repeating. They may even begin to make up there own words! I recommend this for one-on-one or group read-alouds.
Teresa Scherping
Oct 16, 2012 Teresa Scherping rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, humor
This is a hilarious book if you get the right crowd. The rhymes are tricky and the story is pretty wacky (and slightly gross!). But the energy and zaniness could definitely entertain certain young audiences.
Tamie Bird
Nov 12, 2012 Tamie Bird rated it it was amazing
A definite tongue twister but one that is guaranteed to have you laughing through the whole book…especially when you find out what the spotamus is! Children ages 4 and up are more likely the age group to get the humor in this fun book.
Ken Williams
Sep 05, 2014 Ken Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a fun story to read. So silly, yet inventive and entertaining, with wonderful rhyme and rhythm. The ending really hits the spot. Loved it.
Rachel
May 09, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Fun story with a great play on language with the use of alternative endings to words, a fun resolution.
Kayla Anderson
May 15, 2014 Kayla Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. We checked it out from the library and now I want to buy it. This book is so much fun to read to the kids!
Ryan
Sep 22, 2012 Ryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book tries way to hard to rhyme. Instead all the made up words just make it hard to read. If it were not for all the "otmus" words this would be a cute and fun story.
Melissa
Oct 01, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
Hmmm. Lively illustrations; the gross-out humor will appeal to some families; but the made-up rhymes felt a little forced to me by the end of the book.
  • Don't Copy Me!
  • My Snake Blake
  • It's Monday, Mrs. Jolly Bones!
  • When a Monster Is Born
  • Lion vs. Rabbit
  • The Day Louis Got Eaten
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Who Said Moo?
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Monkey Truck
  • Sitting in My Box
  • Henry's Map
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • The Very Inappropriate Word
  • Zog
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Oink-a-Doodle-Moo
  • Horsefly and Honeybee
Jeanne Willis was born in St Albans and trained as an advertising copywriter at Watford College. She worked for various agencies creating press adverts and TV, cinema and radio commercials. She is now a full-time writer and has published over 80 books. Her hobbies include gardening, reading (non-fiction), natural history and collecting caterpillars. Jeanne has also worked on scripts for TV, includ ...more
More about Jeanne Willis...