Start by marking “Sherlock: The Casebook” as Want to Read:
Sherlock: The Casebook

Sherlock: The Casebook

The first official guide to the BBC hit series Sherlock.

Fans of Sherlock Holmes will already be familiar with The Great Game -- in which all characters and events in the novels are assumed real and discussed accordingly. BBC hit Sherlock has brought Conan Doyle's legendary detective to a whole new audience and Sherlock: The Casebook is The Great Game for the next generati
Published October 25th 2012 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock, please sign up.
George This book is like additional material to the movies. Each episode in the serial is a case, so the book describes each case from the perspective of…moreThis book is like additional material to the movies. Each episode in the serial is a case, so the book describes each case from the perspective of both the characters, and the show's creators.(less)

TheBookAddictedGirl
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, Everywhere, And I Mean That!
"You're keeping A SCRAPBOOK.
Only old ladies and pre-pubescent girls keep scrapbooks, John."
"It's not a scrapbook, Sherlock. I'm collecting papers relevant to the cases. It helps me remember the details. And it was locked away in my desk drawer."
"The lock on your desk drawer was insulting me with its pretences at security.
IT'S A SCRAPBOOK..."
Holy Crab, this book was awesome!! I absolutely love the original Sherlock Holmes books; adore the Sherlock Holmes movies (y’know, the new ones, with Robert
Kora
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Any one who is a fan of the BBC series "Sherlock" should pick up this book - especially if you are unfamiliar with the original stories or some of the older adaptations of the character (Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett in particular.)

This is an amazing companion to the show. It goes in-depth on the episodes with comparisons to the original stories as well as notes and photographs in the style of John Watson's (played by Martin Freeman) notes. There are interviews with the creators of the show a
TL
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great and informative guide to the show... loved the behind the scenes info and the post-it notes throughout haha. Only Sherlock/John/Mycroft would be having 'discussions' like that:)

I wish there had been more on Mycroft and Lestrade but a minor quibble really.

Worth your hard earned money in my opinion *waves* happy reading!
Anna Kļaviņa
3.5

Interesting mix of fiction & trivia (this is supposed to be Watson's casebook) and non fiction ( short bio of Arthur Conan Doyle, comments on the original stories, on earlier adaptations and of course background on the BBC show.)

Schnaucl
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

It's a mix of a casebook "created by John Watson" and brief sections on various aspects of the show, Holmes' mythology, and how each episode relates to the Doyle version.

The sections written by John have post-it notes from John, Sherlock and occasionally Mycroft. The font used for John and Mycroft's writing was fine, but the font used for Sherlock doesn't look right to me at all. I'm not sure what font it is but it just doesn't fit. It seems too neat and print like. Part of me thinks
Anne
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
I absolutely love this book!
I first read it over two years ago and have picked it up several times since then.

It's so much fun to read. I love that it compares the episodes to the original stories.
The concept of the sticky notes is amazing, I'm a big fan of that.

Definitely a must-have for fans of the show!
Rosalie
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up for one reason: I love the show. I'm glad that I did. This is a great book to compliment the first two series. Containing behind the scenes information along with a 'scrapbook' done by the character John Watson it certainly entertaining. The interviews with the actors and creators are nice insights to the workings of the show. The pages done by 'Dr. John Watson' and 'Sherlock Holmes' are amusing additions to the episodes. The personalities of the characters are well in hand ...more
Brigi
This is an interesting book, recommended to every Sherlock fan. :) It is a curious mix of non-fiction and fiction. Interviews with the creators and cast, info on the inspiration for each episode and other adaptations constitute the non-fiction part, while John's "scrapbook" is the fiction.

Even after all these years of being a fan (okay, I'm far from the most dedicated people in the fandom, but I still like it a lot), I learned a lot of intriguing pieces of information. Nevertheless, the fiction
Emma
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a very quick read - I finished it in one evening. That's not to say it isn't a wonderful book; I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I'm sad it wasn't any longer.

One of my favorite parts was the "By the Book" section that followed some of the cases (e.g. for "A Scandal in Belgravia"): It went through and examined how close the broadcast episode was to the original story, as well as explaining any other allusions to Conan Doyle's other stories. For someone who is a fan of secret reference
Liriel27
Mixed bag. Some of this was quite funny and interesting, but a lot of the "behind the scenes" stuff is a rehash of comments from commentaries or interviews you may have already heard/seen. Some of the "in-character" post-its were...well, out of character or awkwardly written (Also, hysterical laughter at that font being Sherlock's handwriting. HAHAHAHAHAHA...hm.)

Biggest issue: there are (based on the ones that bothered me) 3 major continuity/that's-just-not-what-happened errors, and every time I
Didi
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A definite read for die-hard BBC Sherlock fan. I like the post-it on the last page ;)
Clare
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book (I'm a Sherlock fan, pre-series 4) and this book was hilarious with all the back-and-forth sticky notes between Sherlock and John (plus the occasional dry one from Mrs Hudson) as well as Sherlock 'subtle' corrections to John's version of the events. Would recommend to any Sherlock fan. :)
Joanna
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a delicious extra. Emphasis on extra. Lots of eye candy, a good amount of chuckles... but yes, quite unnecessary if you are only a casual viewer of Sherlock. If you are a fanatic, as in... wanting to own every piece of merchandise and fan work, needing to know all the little bits of information about the show and people involved in the show, ect. ect (you know who you are! and I am one of them, happily) this book will be well worth an hour of your time. And uh, yeah... an hour is right b ...more
VBergen
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Independently of the fact that I love the tv series, I liked this book very much. It is funny because it includes Sherlock, John and Mycroft post-its and contains explanations about the story of the show, parallel between the tv series and the books, comments of the production team and interviews with the actors.

✩◕‿◕✿

- John: So Sherlock did his thing with the Memory Palace, sitting and sifting through the contents of his head, trying to make connections. Amazingly he did.
- Sherlock: It's a disci
Hannah
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know how to review this book it's so good.

Set up as John's scrapbook, it recaps the episodes of Sherlock.

When I marked this as to-read, I honestly didn't even look at the description of the book. I just saw Benedict Cumberbatch's amazing face and that was enough for me.

The saying don't judge a book by it's cover didn't apply to this book. I judged this book by it's fantastic cover and look! Five Stars! But, then again, if Benedict Cumberbatch is on the cover then it has to be goo
Vanessa
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
Its a book and also similar to a comic book. It has lots of pictures and clues written out. Describes the stories of the Sherlock Files BBC TV series. This covers the first two seasons. I have read a few of the real stories, but mostly the ones required during schooling, so this book helped me with more of the backstory of who Holmes is...basically a very messed up person who is brilliant. Lots of pictures of the actors and scenes of the stories.
Joe
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read the US version of this "The Sherlock Files". This probably now officially puts me in the fan boy camp but I don't care. While not necessary to appreciate the show it does offer a lot of insight in to the characters, actors and even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Really looking forward to season three this Fall.
Weird
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Got it as a birthday-gift from my sister.

A must for every Sherlock fan.

It contains Johns case-notes, interviews with castmembers and writers and the history of Sherlock Holmes and Ian Doyle throughout the ages.
Informative, funny, interesting, and heart-wrenching when John writes about the Reichenbach Fall. Don't miss the last page though!
Amazing Grace
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a great fan of Sherlock Holmes, both in the books the movies and the series, so this book was perfect for me!
I really loved the scrapbook section, which was really entertaining!
I think this book is highly recommended for anyone who is a fan of Sherlock!
Nights
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
4.5.

I really enjoyed this book. I got it on the 24th and finished it that night. It was fast and fun and I really loved the notes from John and Sherlock.

Would definitely recommend. :D
Sama
Jul 13, 2014 marked it as to-read
I WILL LITERALLY READ ANYTHING VAGUELY SHERLOCK/CUMBERBATCH RELATED. ANYTHING.
Alana
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
great tie-in. loved the conversation post-its. :)
Caprice Hokstad
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of BBC Sherlock
Recommended to Caprice by: PBS.com
Very entertaining and educational. Unfortunately, only covers the first two seasons (episodes 1-6) of the BBC series. Very interesting. Will read again.
Laura Dam
A lovely companion to the BBC series. The design is awesome and its full of funny references and humourous bits. ...more
Brittany
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say beyond the fact that this was such a fun book to read. I really loved being able to get this insight into the world of the show Sherlock and to be able to see how it was created. This is told in both casefiles with John and Sherlock snipping at each other and through short pieces about how Sherlock Holmes as a character was created and how the show came to be made. It offered a lot of insight into this adaptation and how it came to be along with giving fun glimpses into the charac ...more
Siri Olsen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
What can I say? I love Sherlock Holmes and I love BBC Sherlock. This guide to the first two seasons, largely consisting of John Watson's personal scrapbook, includes John's notes about each of the six cases with small post-it notes, in which both John and Sherlock comment on the case or John's way of portraying it. It is a delight. Additionally, in between each chapter, there are small intermissions with information on the making of the show. It's funny, quirky and made for any fan of BBC Sherlo ...more
Julia Kamerling
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting insight as to the making of "Sherlock" and the history behind the characters, their rise to fame and their writer. Making it seem as if John wrote the case files and the other protagonists offering their thoughts as well made for a fun read.
Susan
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, sherlock, nonfiction
A compendium guide for the first episodes of Sherlock. Nice format - has a small episode summary, pictures from the show and funny, snarky comments on post-its from Sherlock and John. A nice addition to any Holmes library.
Mell
3.5 rating for a good read with inside info about both the show and the original stories/books. The photos are great. I have a feeling that the TV show is probably done, so this book was fun to page through and read.
ZX
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Additional content from BBC Sherlock Season 1 and 2 - an interesting, short read, for fans of the TV drama.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sherlock: Chronicles
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • Performance in a Leading Role (Performance in a Leading Role, #1)
  • The Art and Making of Hannibal: The Television Series
  • The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • Kissing Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Perils of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Black Butterfly (Lucifer Box, #3)
  • The Day They Met
“Sherlock: You're keeping a SCRAPBOOK. Only old ladies and pre-pubescent girls keep scrapbooks, John.
John: It's not a scrapbook, Sherlock. I'm collecting papers relevant to the cases. It helps me remember the details. And it was locked away in my desk drawer.
Sherlock: The lock on your desk drawer was insulting me with its pretense at security.”
25 likes
“then he jumped..

I owe him so much. I needed him. I still do.

But he's gone.

He told me once that I shouldn't make people into heroes. He said that heroes didn't exist and that even if they did he wouldn't be one of them.

which goes to show. he wasn't right about everything..”
12 likes