Start by marking “Dodger” as Want to Read:
Dodger

Dodger

(Dodger #1)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  23,722 ratings  ·  2,890 reviews
Dodger is a tosher – a sewer scavenger living in the squalor of Dickensian London.

Everyone who is nobody knows Dodger. Anyone who is anybody doesn’t.

But when he rescues a young girl from a beating, suddenly everybody wants to know him.

And Dodger’s tale of skulduggery, dark plans and even darker deeds begins . . .
Published September 13th 2012 by Doubleday UK

To ask other readers questions about Dodger, please sign up.
George Ah. Right. Cataloged as "Teen" at the city library, now that I look at the spine.

That would explain the footnotes that give you all the information yo…more

That would explain the footnotes that give you all the information you need to find on the Net what your theoretical parents theoretically wouldn't like to see in your books.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Imjustlori
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  23,722 ratings  ·  2,890 reviews

Start your review of Dodger
Andrea
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-requests
It is impossible for me to read a new Terry Pratchett independently of the memory of the last 30 years of reading each eagerly awaited book, one by one, with utmost delight.
It is impossible for me to read a new Terry Pratchett without my vivid recollection of him, eyes twinkling from under the brim of his hat, as he signed my precious books, and answered my breathless "Mr (it was ages ago) Pratchett, thank you so much for all the hours of reading pleasure" with "Madam, thank you so much for all
Patrick
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple weeks ago, I was having a real pisser of a day. Then I remembered there was a new Terry Pratchett book out and things didn't seem so bad anymore.

When I first started to read it, I got two surprises. The first was that it wasn't a Discworld book. Which I'm fine with, given how much I loved Nation.

The other surprise was the language of the book. To be completely honest (and I'm really embarrassed to admit this.) when I started reading the book, I thought that Terry's Alzheimer's had fin
Starswirl the Bearded
First, a disclaimer: As virtually a life-long Pratchett fan, I would probably buy anything he publishes. If he were to release a book titled World of Poo, I would probably...oh. Nevermind.

description

The point I'm making is that I can't be objective when it comes to this author - the Discworld books are too much a part of my life; I cried while watching TP's deeply personal euthanasia documentary; I know certain Discworld characters better than I know members of my extended family.

But this is a review of Do
Char
Dodger by Terry Pratchett, narrated by Stephen Briggs
I listened to this on audio, and I dug the narrator. I dug him a lot!

This book was funny and fun. A lot of the humor was laugh out loud funny and a lot of the fun was in spotting the real folk amidst all the fictional characters.

I had a blast listening to this and if I could afford it, I would listen to the entire Discworld series narrated by Mr. Briggs. Alas,  I cannot, so I guess I still have to read them.

Toby
Without wanting to get in to yet another debate with 30 something adults about the legitimacy of said adults reading novels meant for tweens is there another author working in the YA field who treats said YA's with as much respect and intelligence as Terry Pratchett? I seriously doubt it. If there were I wouldn't hold the publisher manufactured genre in such contempt.

Dodger is most assuredly a YA novel, a softening of Pratchett's usual intelligent discussion of humanity and witty banter but not
Tatiana
While I mostly enjoyed Dodger, I don't think I'll be reaching for more Terry Pratchett books. His narrative style, if Dodger is indicative at all of the rest of his work, is a bit too... extra for my taste. The wit, the cleverness, the puns - it gets tiresome. Also, this kind of writing I find more fitting for children's books, and this one wasn't exactly that, although Dodger feels more like a 12-year old boy most of the book, that is until he makes it clear he is ready to get married.

IMO, in
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

So it wasn't horrid. But I didn't really care for it either.

First off, this must be said, it didn't feel like a Terry Pratchett book. At all. No zany magic that makes no sense (which was fine). None of his trademark humor (which was not). No likable characters. Just a mystery novel that didn't even feel like a mystery. Boo.

The cover: IT LIED. It promised a cute and fun mystery with an adorable small boy main character. Not a bit.

Dodger was okay. His character was really rather boring.
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: old skool pratchett fans
Terry Pratchett saved me just as I was blundering into my teenage years and wondering how to make the leap from books designed for little kiddiewinks to the adult side of the library where all the books were hefty and hardback and full of secret promise. I am so old that the whole concept of the tweenager did not yet exist and so you were faced with the stark choice Enid Blyton or Jackie Collins when you wandered into a library. Of course there was Judy Blume but her books take about five minute ...more
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
The most unexpectedly fun read of the year is Terry Pratchett's Dodger. With an unmatched skill, Pratchett shows himself to be a writer akin to to Mark Twain and as adept in the historical world of 19th century London as he is in the imaginary world of Ankh-Morpork.

A month ago or so, Britt came home with a book on CD for a road trip.

"It's called Dodger," she said as we set off down the road. "By some guy called Terry Pratchett."

"Discworld?" I asked from the driver's seat.

"Disc-what?" she said.
Ken
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the Prachett novels I've read ha ing been set in his famous Discworld series, where as Dodger is firmly based in the early Victorian era of London.

While this had all the hallmarks of a Prachett novel with plenty of turn of wonderful phrases, it felt more educational than humorous.
Obviously that's not a bad thing, but I did miss the numerous footnotes that you associate with his novels.

Our main protagonist Dodger is a Tosher (a scavenger in the sewers) who comes to the aid of a battered y
Ben
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's some pleasure to be had in Terry Pratchett writing about actual *London*, instead of Ankh-Morpork, but this is weak stuff.

There are also some points for Terry's basic humanity and his fondness for reformers like Charles Dickens and Henry Mayhew. But every character who isn't an historical person falls utterly flat: the cheeky Cockney rascal, the canny Jewish elder, the smelly dog, there's even a reference to a whore with a heart of gold, I think.

A rare, unexpected moment that works makes
Moonkiszt
This was my initiation to Mr. Pratchett's work - and I liked it. Didn't love it, but liked it. I enjoyed the riff off Dickens, and adding in contemporaries. But I really liked the descriptions of Dodger's thought process, his cleverness and how knitted Prachett's Dodger was to Dicken's . . . it was believable to me that this was the same character.

Where the blip was, for me, was when marriage was considered and executed . . . .all along I felt this character was much younger somewhere from 14 -
Carly
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“People are what they do, and what they leave behind.”
If you’re ever in the mood for a cute, light, fluffy, heartwarming story, then you should really think about picking up Dodger.

The book’s eponymous protagonist is an orphaned street urchin who lives in Victorian London and works as a “tosher”--that is, someone who goes into the sewers to find treasures in the trash. When he pops out of a sewer to be ”the knight in soaking armor” to a lady in distress, he suddenly finds that one small act of k
Kaethe Douglas
I love clever stories about clever young people forming convoluted plots and tricking people. When an author manages to give me that, Charles Dickens as a newspaperman, Sweeney Todd, the drains of London, Jews escaped from the pogroms of Russia (including Karl), a noisome dog named Onan, and more, well, I'm pretty much beside myself with glee through the whole thing. A big old sack of awesome. And now, I've got to get a hold of Mayhew's London Labour and the London Poor, Vol. 3.

Still need convin
Meikoyim
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, favourites
My first ever Terry Pratchett.

I know, I know, I'm behind in the game, what with Discworld taking up half (well, quite a sizeable proportion at least) of my to-read list.

Dodger is the story of a nobody with a gallant heart, and with wits about him as people living on the streets in the days of Victorian London would have to have in order to survive. It is about his past as well as his future, about the change that befell him one stormy night.

I must say I enjoyed the read rather more than I would
Huw Evans
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, fiction
This is an excellent book, if a rather perplexing one. The story is set in Victorian London and thereby lies some of my confusion. Firstly, it very bravely sucks real figures of the time into the storyline (e.g. Dickens, Mayhew, Burdett-Coutts, Peel) which is potentially dangerous. Secondly, everybody knows that Pterry writes about Discworld so I found myself constantly expecting to encounter the denizens of Ankh-Morpork at every turn. There are so many parallels between Victorian London and A-M ...more
Kirsty
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge Pratchett fan, I thoroughly enjoyed Dodger - a non-Discworld tale of an heroic tosher working in the squalor of Dickensian London who saves a mysterious girl from a savage beating one stormy night.
And so begins a quite fantastical tale involving Sweeney Todd, Charles Dickens, Benjamin Disraeli and other historical figures as our hero seeks to save a damsel in distress and prevent an international incident and an improbable war.

The author's style has changed noticeably during the course
Erastes
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't sure what to expect, to be honest - I thought it was a Discworld novel, with Dickensian overtones with an Ankh-Morpork Dodger character so it was a pleasant surprise to find it set in actual Victorian London(although, as Pratchett himself says, a London with a bit of a shine on it.)

I was seriously impressed by the writing and to me it seemed as though Pratchett has been leading up to this book via the YA books, particularly Maurice, and the Watch novels. There are undertones of much of No
Paul Brogan
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: airport
Not Pratchett's best. The plot was thin, the characters didn't come to life, and even some of the grammar was poor, especially for Charles Dickens, who really ought to have known the difference between 'who' and 'whom'.

What saved the book, however, apart from the sensitive treatment of Sweeney Todd and the wonderful imagery of London's sewers, was, I think, Pratchett himself. One never knows whether this book or the next will be his last, and I buy every one of them aware that the man is a legen
Arun Divakar
The Darwinian maxim of survival of the fittest is almost chanted like a mantra by a lot of people I know. In the world in front of our eyes, no other principle is put to use with such effortless ease as this one. An erstwhile boss of mine used to call such a skill in the corporate world as 'streetsmart' which at an early stage of my career I found to be a rather plain usage. But as time went by, I understood the need for such a survival skill and just why is it that he called it so. Dodger is th ...more
Christine
This is not a Discworld novel. But that is made clear from the get go.

Pratchett sets his story in Victorian London, and he peoples it as it was. That is with historic personages, including Charles Dickens, who gets, in Pratchett at least, the idea of the Artful Dodger from a young man who is named Dodger and who is artful. Pratchett's Dodger does seem to owe something to the Baker Street Irregulars as well as Dickens' creation. The plot of the novel also seems to owe much to Wilkie Collins.

In ma
John
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sir Terry tries his hand at channeling Charles Dickens, gets it all right and, as usual, dishes up a deliciously funny, romantic and philosophically profound tale. He dubs it a historical fantasy because he's played a little jiggery pokery with dates, but the only magic is in the storytelling, so I'd call it a straight historical novel. Set in Victorian London, it's about an unusually capable streets-raised lad who rises in the world after rescuing a damsel in distress (who, to be sure, takes a ...more
Dorian
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
I found this an odd, and slightly awkward book. It has a lot of what Pratchett likes to do, and does well: a big, busy city full of things and people that most people don't notice; customs, superstitions, and language that have intrigued him; a convoluted storyline with humour and drama and a happy ending.

The trouble is, none of it seems to quite gel. The characters are less well-rounded than I would expect. The writing doesn't flow with Pratchett's usual smoothness. The dialogue is jerky, the c
Shorty
It took me a while to get through this novel, because at times it was rather boring. Once in a while it was slightly humorous, and then a little interesting in the historical parts, and then it got a little bit ridiculous again. Too much suspension of belief for me, sorry.
I was disappointed because Pratchett is one of my favorite authors.
Stephen Briggs is the narrator, and he was pretty good. All those accents from England, especially from long ago, must have been difficult to do.
Here is a mu
MB (What she read)
1st read 10/24/12: Thoroughly enjoyable! I still love Solomon and feel less thrilled by Serendipity. But the ending was perfect for Dodger.

One thing I want to point out was how nice it was to see a sympathetic and heroic jewish character in a Victorian setting. Such a nice modernism to include. Subversive even, with TP's great sense of humor.

Be sure to have Wikipedia available when reading this book. I couldn't help but learn something!

2nd read 10/28/13: I would love a book about Solomon's past.
Emma Flanagan
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off lets be clear, while this is by Terry Pratchett this is not a fantasy book. Discworld fans hoping for something in that vein will be disappointed. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what I'd class it as. Spin-off of a classic? Historical fiction? In reality its probably both. The titular character if not actually the Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist, is certainly based on him and a man by the names of Charlie Dickens who runs a newspaper and is concerned with the well being of the poor ...more
Nathan
I hate to say it, but maybe it is time Pratchett leaves Diskworld behind(much as I hope for one more trip with the witches of Lancre). If he keeps writing quality entertainment like this I will forgive him completely.

Hard to put in a category, but as the author calls it Historical Fantasy in the afterword, that is good enough for me. Follows the title character who early on rescues a women from a bad situation, then does his best to keep her safe. As is the norm for this type of book, meets lot
Kim
Whilst this isn't the next Discworld book we've all been waiting for the latest Pratchett book is still worth reading. Set in Victorian London, Dodger is a mixture of alternate history as well as a mystery novel.

Dodger is the archetypical young ragamuffin, brought up on the streets but with a heart of gold and intelligence not generally found amongst his peers, who finds himself in a position to change his life and rub shoulders with the top of society. For those who've read Raymond Feist's boo
Robert
Sep 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't bring myself to keep reading this. All the characters monologue at Dodger. It does not read like a novel or a story, but like a series of exercises in slipping into different voices. Unfortunately, none of the voices are interesting.

Worse, the book has no internal reality / logic. Dodger is a fierce and fast little fighter when he deals with hoodlums, who invariably flee under his assaults, yet a posh writer lifts him up by the scruff of the neck and lectures him at length. What is Dodger,
You'll love this ...: February 2016 -Dodger 63 40 Mar 07, 2016 08:52PM

• Ghostcatcher (Potkin and Stubbs, #3)
  • The Reluctant Adventures of Fletcher Connolly on the Interstellar Railroad: Book 1-4
  • Luckey Quarter
  • The Neil Gaiman Reader: Selected Fiction
  • Dying with Her Cheer Pants On
  • The Inevitable Fall of Christopher Cynster (Cynster Next Generation, #8)
  • Grapes of Wrath
  • Sofie
  • The Road to the World's End
  • Gymnaslærer Pedersens beretning om den store politiske vekkelsen som har hjemsøkt vårt land
  • Pokora
  • Whose Justice? Which Rationality?
  • God and Human Dignity: The Personalism, Theology, and Ethics of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Dog Gone (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator Book 12)
  • Yellow Ribbon (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator Book 11)
  • An Oxford Tragedy
  • Proč blijou sloni
  • The Way of F**k It: Small Book... Big Idea

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i