Start by marking “Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2)” as Want to Read:
Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2)

Whatever Happened to Janie?

(Janie Johnson #2)

In the vein of psychological thrillers like We Were Liars, Girl on the Train, and Beware That Girl, bestselling author Caroline Cooney's JANIE series delivers on every level. Mystery and suspense blend seamlessly with issues of family, friendship and love to offer an emotionally evocative thrill ride of a read.

As Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little
Published May 22nd 2012 by Ember (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Happened to Janie?, please sign up.
Roger Catlett I listened to this on audio in the car , while reading book 1 . I finished book 2 first and The Face on the Milk Carton fills in some details - so yes…moreI listened to this on audio in the car , while reading book 1 . I finished book 2 first and The Face on the Milk Carton fills in some details - so yes you can just read this as a stand alone.(less)

Start your review of Whatever Happened to Janie? (Janie Johnson, #2)
Completely Melanie
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book in the Janie Johnson series, and I loved it just as much as the 1st! In this book, Janie/Jenny is being forced to cut off ties with the family and friends she has spent her whole life with to move in with her rightful family. As you can assume, things don't go very well. Janie/Jenny does not adjust easily into this new life. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Anna
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeing this one through my adult eye-view, it's a little bit easier to empathize with Janie. As a kid, I thought she was such an ungrateful brat. And seriously, when they contacted her birth family in the last book, what did she think was going to happen? They were going to tell the Johnsons, whose daughter Hannah KIDNAPPED HER from them, "Yeah, we don't want her back. You can keep the daughter who was kidnapped from the shopping center at age 3. We have four other kids, we know you'll love and ...more
Carly

"What normal decent person swaps families as easily as a pair of ice skates?" says fifteen year old Janie Johnson, or should I say Jennie Springs. In the first book, The Face On the Milk Carton, Janie recognizes her face on a milk carton as a three year old girl who was taken from a mall in New Jersey twelve years ago. She finds out that her parents are really her adoptive parents and Janie Johnson was kidnapped before she even met the Johnson's. So who's to blame? It's Hannah. Hannah Javensen,
Shannon
Oct 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-books
I don't remember what happened to Janie, but knowing Caroline B. Cooney , it was something excessively dramatic.
 Readaholic Jenn
Good but not great
Jen
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some ways, this is actually better than the first book, The Face on the Milk Carton. Janie's been told she has to go live with her birth family, and this opens up the delightfully awful complexity of what family really is. Being a person who staunchly opposes the idea that "family" only means the people who share your DNA, I really like that Cooney took the time to examine this. Your blood family will always be a part of who are you, even if you haven't known them most of your life, but they ...more
Brianna Tinsley
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three-year-old Jennie Spring was kidnapped by the daughter of the Javenson family. The Johnson family who was originally the Javensons renamed Jennie to Janie Spring. Janie has been told she is allergic to milk so she never paid much attention to milk, but one day at school she takes her friend, Sarah-Charlotte, milk carton and discovers the missing little girls face and believes that it could be her possibly. She doesnt believe it at first and thinks it might be a mistake but then she starts to ...more
rivka
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book.

The first one was about finding answers to mysteries. This one is about finding a different kind of answers. Answers to things like "what now?" and "how do we go on?"

Questions that never have simple answers.

And this book doesn't pretend the answers are easy, and presents real people, who are awful to each other even when they are trying hard not to be.
Jackie
Janie (Jenny) has gone to live with her birth parents. This is a major challenge for all involved. I'm glad the series is continuing so that we can understand the adjustments from all of the people in this difficult situation.
Lindsay Nixon
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was good as the first. You can't wait to see what happens, you feel emotionally torn like Janie... it's a book series that explores difficult emotions and the reality that there is so much complexity to any issue. You have to do what's best for you, even if it's not best for the majority. There aren't awards for suffering and that suffering hurts the people you're trying to protect... that in any reality, there are Multiple considerations to consider...

Like book1, I'm desperate to
Sarah Suchon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jeanie
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever Happened to Janie is the continuation of a young girl finding out that she was kidnapped at 3 years old. You go thru her emotions of leaving the only family she ever knew to coming back to the family that missed and thought the worst of what happened to Janie. I liked the second one so much better. It shows the struggles of all families that we may never think about. It was a story that reasonated with me in that my parents divorced at a young age and I went to live with my dad. I did ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
It's been a while since I read this book, but overall I remember this being a pretty good sequel/follow-up to the first book.
McKenzie Allyshia
I feel like I have invested myself enough into the series that I have to keep reading. Although, I did find myself enjoying the second book in this series much more than the first. There was still quite a bit of whiplash emotions, highs and lows, and quite a bit of them petty and ridiculous. I found myself wondering, what would I have done in this crazy situation? When I was fifteen, I felt like I was a grown up and should be able to make my own decisions. In fact, I moved out when I was ...more
LdyGray
The Nineties were a special time, full of economic prosperity and invented fears - like being kidnapped by a member of Hare Krishna, I guess?
Gina
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it showed a pretty good understanding of how many of the characters would realistically feel, while leaving others undeveloped. Toward the end, with the FBI interrogation and the time in New York, that feels a little more oddly written and artificial, sometimes weird.
Lisa
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of the Janie series. I enjoyed reading all about the Spring family & how things were for the 12 years Janie was gone.
Zainab Khan
While I really enjoyed this book as well as the last, the events felt slower. The last book ended in a cliffhanger so I was very eager to read this book. However, only towards the end did I feel excited to read this book because of the events. I am looking forward to reading the next book of the series and I hope it will include numerous events and challenges.
Donna
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie Johnson has been told by her parents that she is very allergic to milk, so she avoids it. Until one day in the cafeteria she picks up a friends carton of milk, looks at the missing child on the back, and realizes that child is her! Her name is really Jennie Spring, and she was kidnapped when she was three.

The book is very good, but hopefully such matters are handled more delicately now (25 years after publication.) I recommend it to all who like Junior Fiction.
Eden
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janie Johnson's whole life changed when she found out she is the girl on the milk carton. And now Janie has to go live with her birth family in New Jersey.

Living in New Jersey with her real family, Janie has to become Jennie Spring and Janie doesn't know if she can. Since she was three and half, she has been Janie Johnson.

Janie doesn't want to hurt the Springs or the Johnsons. But it seems, whatever choice she makes it will hurt one of her families.

I would say it has been at least 10 years or a
Andrew Holm
This book is not what I expected. I expected a story about someone getting kidnapped, but instead, it was about a girl coming back home from fake parents. It kinda lacked action because it was just a storyline about people's feelings for Janie. I would not recommend this book.
Nancy Chaffin
Overview: The book begins with an account of the anguish and fear the Spring family suffered as they dealt with the kidnapping of their daughter. The police were unable to find any trace of the little girl and the entire family suffered and grieved for twelve years.

In another part of the country, Janie Johnson discovered a picture of a missing girl on the cover of a milk carton and realized it was her face. She wrestled with the knowledge and finally revealed the truth to her boyfriend. After
Aimee
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Janie is now living with the Springs, her biological family. She didn't want to because she sees Frank and Miranda Johnson as her parents, even though their daughter kidnapped her and then left her with them. Janie was forced to move back into the Springs house because she is still a minor.

This would be a horrible situation to be in. In New Jersey is your biological family, whose lives were torn apart twice. Once when you were taken and a second time when you come back. But is your return
Georgia K
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave four stars to the first one, this one managed to blow me away.
After contacting her real parents, Janie is sent to live with them without contacting home for at least three months. Once there, she is nothing like they expected. Everyone expected her to be happy to be back, instead she acts depressed and wants her old parents back. Her real parents, the Springs, try to compromise, but the problem is the little things like apple juice instead of orange juice in the morning and being expected
Shally Clark
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers and lovers of YA literature
Summary: This is the sequel to The Face on the Milk Carton. It is what happens to Janie after she finds out everything she does about her parents, where she came from and where she feels like she belongs. It is a big test for Janie to she what she really wants as her life has been turned upside-down. She has to grow up fast as she faces the reality of what happens. It is a book about her reaction and she treats those that love her. She has to choose what she really wants while she has pressures ...more
Emily Sinclair
Well, this book was about what I expected. Again the mystery was good and I enjoyed how realistic Janie/Jennie's reactions were. The family interactions were spot on, I could really feel for all the characters. I'd say as far as mystery goes this book wasn't as intriguing, but still a good read and a good sequel.

It had by far less sexual innuendos and references compared to the first book, but enough I wouldn't advise this for anyone who considers that against their moral beliefs. To be honest,
Bookhoarder
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, this-year
Where first book lacked in dynamics this one nailed it.From the first few chapters it was so emotional and intense I didn't believe it was written by the same person. I have a feeling that if this two were in one peace it would be so much more read than it is.
I will think oof every person who meets Janie and her Connecticut family and doesn't die inside at the beginning of the book as a robot.A metal,cruel,programmed machine.
And I'm still dealing with the fact that I get more emotional over
sh(e)reader
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I finished book one, I did feel compelled to continue on. As the title states, I the reader DID wonder "whatever happened to Janie". It was an interesting, and sad, read. Just a happy/sad situation, imaginary as it was.

I think I liked this book better than the first. There wasn't as much random thoughts from Janie (which rubbed me wrong in the first book). There was much more closure to this book, than book one as well. I might have been happy calling it quits here, but a short portion of
Karschtl
Just good that I had this second part of the series as well, cause after I finished the first book I wanted to know what happenend after Jamie finally called her real parents.

The feeling of homesickness was understandable for me, I've lived in a 'foreign' family for a year as well - and it's just different from being really home.

But I think they could have found a compromise where both families would have been happier. But it's just a book after all.
Erica
Jul 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unhauled
It probably didn't help that I read this out of order, but I thought it was just a stand alone novel. The main character is moody and dramatic, which got annoying quickly. Instead of being happy over being with her really family she is a constant state of indecision about going back to the kidnappers or staying. This book got boring very quickly and I found myself struggling to read this. Would not recommend.
want 2 know more 8 41 Apr 24, 2013 09:00AM

• No Time to Cry (Dawn Rochelle, #4)
  • So Much to Live For (Dawn Rochelle, #3)
  • Six Months to Live (Dawn Rochelle, #1)
  • Beach Blondes: June Dreams / July's Promise / August Magic (Summer, #1-3)
  • Don't Look Behind You
  • 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House: Quick, Easy Ways to Clear Up Your Space
  • Angels Watching Over Me (Angels, #1)
  • Prey
  • Stepping on the Cracks (Gordy Smith, #1)
  • It's Not About Perfect: Competing for My Country and Fighting for My Life
  • Stolen Children
  • Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story)
  • December Stillness
  • I'll Be Seeing You
  • Who Was Nikola Tesla?
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Thumbelina: Tiny Runaway Bride
  • The Lambkins
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with

Janie Johnson (6 books)
  • The Face on the Milk Carton (Janie Johnson, #1)
  • The Voice on the Radio (Janie Johnson, #3)
  • What Janie Found (Janie Johnson, #4)
  • What Janie Saw (Janie Johnson, #4.5)
  • Janie Face to Face (Janie Johnson, #5)