Start by marking “Ollie the Purple Elephant” as Want to Read:
Ollie the Purple Elephant

Ollie the Purple Elephant

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Ollie is a purple elephant who is lost and has no place to call home.  Until Shelby and Peter find him in the park—and invite him to live with them.  Soon Ollie is a regular part of the family.  He doesn't have a room to call his own, but he doesn't mind. He is happy.  He loves hopscotch and kickball—but most of all he loves the dance parties the McLaughlins have after din ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ollie the Purple Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ollie the Purple Elephant

ratherread
4.5 Stars! (based on my grandson's reaction)

This is a cute fun book. The sentences were little mature for my 3 year old grandson, so I skipped some of the words and focused on telling the story by the excellent illustrations. He loved it and I am sure we will be reading this book for a couple more years.
Nola
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
When Ollie the Purple Elephant moves in with the McLaughlin family, everyone's happy except for the cat and Mr Puddlebotom (i.e. the man downstairs who doesn't like to hear the sound of dancing coming through his ceiling). The cat and Mr Puddlebottom hatch a plan to send Ollie away to the circus. Will Ollie ever be reunited with his family or will the cat and Mr Puddlebottom keep the peace and quiet they love?

An interesting story with a good message and fun illustrations.
Meghan
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of a quirky story, funny & colorful. I might use this for story time, but it's not my first choice. Pre-school/kindergarten will appreciate this.
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Ollie the purple elephant didn't have a home, so he was invited to live with a family who lived in an apartment building. The family's cat didn't like Ollie, nor did the man who lived downstairs. They come up with a plan to get Ollie to move. His life isn't nearly as happy then.

The story has a nice twist and a happy ending that children will enjoy.
One more, please!
Amusing story about an elephant that has a four-legged nemesis and threatens to displace him from his home. My kids were kinda neutral on the story.
Megan Renner
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etl-2368
Alison
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and funny!

When a parent promises a child they can have a purple elephant should they ever come across one, it is a promise made in jest, a folly! Not to the McLaughlins. At the park one day, what should they happen to see, but a purple elephant named Ollie. As promised, Ollie is given a home and a permanent place in the McLaughlin home, until one of their crabby neighbors (and the family cat) complains and Ollie is taken away to join the circus.

Don't fear - this is a children's book, wher
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
This review is also available on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Jarrett J Krososzka is the type of author who can create a visually stunning world with his illustrations and write a story that is amusing and treasured by children and adults of all ages. Ollie is no exception. The story starts, with a promise by Shelby and Peter's father, that if they ever came across a purple elephant they could keep it.
Well, sure enough the family runs across Ollie in the park. Ollie is a p
Shazzer
"Mr. McLaughlin had always told his children that should they ever come across a purple elephant, they could keep him." Poor Mr. and Mrs. McLaughlin had no idea they would one day find Ollie, a purple elephant, in the park. Not wanting to go back on their word, the McLaughlins decide to invite Ollie home, where they put him up on the fold out couch, much to Ginger the cat's annoyance. While Ollie lives it up with the McLaughlins, Ginger makes a deal with the downstairs neighbor, Mr. Puddlebottom ...more
Marika
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jarrett's Lunch Lady series and Punk Farm books have established him as a humorous writer/illustrator. But Ollie the Purple Elephant breaks new ground, and proves that Jarrett is just as adept at classical drama as silly tales. Ollie is on top of the world when he is adopted by the McLaughlin family. But their cat Ginger doesn't like Ollie, and neither does Mr. Puddlebottom, who can't stand the sound of McLaughlin dance parties-- especially when there's an elephant involved. Together, Mr. Puddle ...more
Marcia
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever find a purple elephant in the park, you can keep him....
Ollie joins the family, which makes just about everyone happy. But watch out for the cat! A colorful, fun picture book from the red-hot author of the Lunch Lady series. We are enjoying everything he writes. This is a fun read aloud.
Shelli
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Fun read aloud about a family that adopts a purple elephant named Ollie. Their families lives become filled with laughter and dance, much to the annoyance of their cantankerous cat and the downstairs neighbor. Together the cat and the neighbor concocted a plan to rid themselves of this pachyderm. Fun read aloud or book to recommend to elementary age students.
Heather
Very amusing. I love the first line - it sets the tone for the silliness level. I think that the book would also make for a good classroom discussion on feelings - the angry/jealous cat and the disgruntled neighbor - and how we should handle our negative feelings. But it would also be just plain fun for sharing.
Clarissa
Cute book, sweet story, and I do love that the parents have always promised their children if they ever found a homeless purple elephant they would be allowed to keep it, and then one day they do find a homeless purple elephant. Unfortunately after that point the story turns into a not very original story of a jealous cat who gets rid of Ollie, only to be foiled.
Danie P.
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for a read aloud picture book in a classroom setting. This longer picture book is about Ollie the Purple Elephant who is alone in the park until the McLaughlin family invites him home to stay. The neighbor hates this new family member so he plots with the McLaughlin's cat to send Ollie away to the circus.
Marilyn
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The man downstairs doesn't like the elephants' dancing on his roof. He conspires with the family cat to lie to Ollie that the family doesn't like him. Ollie runs away to the circus. It falls flat for me.
Melissa
Another read with my son. I loved the illustrations in this one but the story itself was not my favorite. Between the mean neighbor and cat and the mean ringmaster it was just too many "bad guys" in this book. My son enjoyed the story but not enough for this to be read again and again and again.
Miri
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
The plot is the kind of rambling one that children often write (where you think you're just reading a story about a purple elephant and his family, but then suddenly, robbers!). This would probably make it interesting to kids, but is strange for adults to read.
Adrielle
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-4-star
I don't actually love Ollie's story, but I do love the author's choice of vocabulary in it. Kids should be given opportunities to see and use more words than those found in the stock dictionary for picture books. For that reason, I give Ollie high marks.
Kim
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ollie is tricked into thinking the McLaughlins don't want him around and runs away to the circus. Fun story with villains and colorful illustrations.

themes: animals, circus, elephants, family, friends
Jana
Silly book about a purple elephant that comes to live with a family. All sorts of wacky adventures await the reader of this book. Young readers will probably enjoy some of the funny things that happen.
Peacegal
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a super cute story with a good message about friendship and honesty.

Also, I was glad the wild animals escaped the circus--and the book didn't portray the circus as a super-fun experience for the animals, like many other picture books unfortunately do.
Sandybear76
I liked this book. Colorful. New characters. Ollie finds a fun family to live with but the neighbor doesn't like Ollie or the fun. He gets Ollie to the circus and the family can't find Ollie. a happy ending.
April Thompson
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family and friendship are the ingredients to happiness
Scottsdale Public Library
The unforgettable and colorful return of the family pet, Ollie the purple elephant. –Monty K.-
Robin Blankenship
This was a cute read.
§ Tesla
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book!!
Anne
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the beginning, but after Ollie joins the circus it fell apart for me.

More of an individual read than for storytime. The text is too long for reading to a group.
Beth
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Poor Ollie thought his owners didn't want him, so he went to the circus. Luckily things turned out even better in the end.
The Styling Librarian
Interesting how the cat fades into the background, love the resolution in the story. Enjoyed!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sweet Dreams
  • Bee & Bird
  • Ice
  • Mustache!
  • I Love You, Nose! I Love You, Toes!
  • If All the Animals Came Inside
  • Harry & Hopper
  • I Loathe You
  • Mouse & Lion

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...