Start by marking “Neuroscience” as Want to Read:
Neuroscience

Neuroscience

Created primarily for medical and premedical students, 'Neuroscience' emphasizes the structure of the nervous system, the correlation of structure and function, and the structure/function relationships particularly pertinent to the practice of medicine.
Published August 1st 2007 by Sinauer Associates (first published November 17th 1996)

Jim
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
(updated 8/25/10)
Many medical schools, including the one where I teach, use this as the standard neuroscience-survey textbook for both medical and graduate students. It is generally well-written, highly authoritative, and very well-illustrated. There are 3 or 4 other textbooks that are used by some schools for the same purpose; in general, the others are much longer and somewhat more challenging to read.

I would recommend this book as a very good introduction to the field of neuroscience, with co
Liam
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-science
In my opinion, having studied MSci Neuroscience and now being a PhD student, this is the best general neuroscience textbook for undergraduate/graduate neuroscience students.

That said, while it excels for molecular neurobiology and systems neuroscience, it is weaker at computational, cellular and behavioural neuroscience. I think it beats Kandel in its content layout and structure: Kandel reads like an electronic manual with little emphasis on what is functionally important detail and also lacks
K
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This neuroscience textbook does an incredible job of explaining entry level concepts to readers with a mid range of scientific experience. My knowledge going into this read was a single college biology course and I was able to comprehend most, if not all, of the material the first read. The book is incredibly accessible which is what draws many professors and scholars alike to recommend the work. I myself speak praises of the clarity with which the presented knowledge can be absorbed rapidly thr ...more
Luke Meakin
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book covering everything from the minute aspects of the brain such as individual cells and processes to the study of collective systems and processes that extend over millions of cells (Systems Neuroscience).

Incredibly well written and detailed with a multitude of extra resources offered for further reading and research around all subjects presented in the book.

Aimed at students towards the end of their undergraduate degree/postgraduate level as quite specific and heavy with regards to d
DJ
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: brain
This book has a nasty habit of mistaking naming for explaining, but it served the purpose of introducing an egghead physicist/mathematician to the messy biological world of neuroscience. If nothing else, its convincing evidence that neuroscience needs theorists.

If (Amount of jargon) > (Space in a human brain),
then FindTheorists.
Sara Nouri
I don't care, I basically read this mf cover to cover and it nearly killed my soul, it counts.
Christine Walsvick
Way too much explanation, it could be much simplified. The pictures could be better.
Samantha Pierce
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great textbook for guiding students through the complexities of neuroscience. With the rapid evolution of knowledge in the field this it offers a grounding to help students evaluate new information. It's well organized making it easy to use for quick referencing. The source material cited is another wealth of information.
Iván Leija
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como estudiante de psicología su lectura fue un reto muy enriquecedor. Es a veces no confuso sino prolijo en la cantidad de detalles, los cuales saturan las páginas y reducen el espacio con el que contarían las ideas principales. Los diagramas e ilustraciones son muy útiles.
Chase Mackey
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best introduction to the topics in the Neurosciences, as opposed to Kandel's "Principles of Neural Science." Purves et al. take the student through the various levels of analysis, from the molecular to the systems level, cover complex functions and their associated theoretical frameworks, all with a strict adherence to the evidence. This evidence based work allows the student to do some amount of critical thinking, resembling what one actually does in reading research in peer-review ...more
Jamie Banks
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very heavy on anatomy, which was challenging but taught me a new way to think. Would've liked more on cognition and higher-order processes, but I think that's my fault for misunderstanding where neuroscience is on that right now and what the primary research goals and acceptable evidence consist of.
Sueper
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
While many of my colleagues do not care of this textbook, I thought it was quite good for someone with no background in neuroscience, and very little biology and physiology. I'm sure I will continue to use it as a reference.
Andrea
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Honestly, probably the best textbooks I've ever had. Very helpful!
James
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely, the best one for the study of nervous system applied to neuroscience.
Matt
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, mind
This book was at first a foreign language book for me. I really had to study the scientific language to make any sense of it, but that study led to a great appreciation for neuroscience.
Niyonsenga Theogene

• Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology
  • Robbins Basic Pathology
  • Medical Physiology [with Student Consult Online Access]
  • Essential Clinical Anatomy
  • Theoretical Neuroscience: Computational and Mathematical Modeling of Neural Systems
  • Histology: A Text and Atlas: With Correlated Cell and  Molecular Biology
  • Brock Biology of Microorganisms
  • Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body
  • Biology [With MasteringBiology]
  • Philosophical Foundations of Neuroscience
  • Physiology (Board Review Series)
  • Wheater's Functional Histology: A Text and Colour Atlas