Start by marking “Kitty's New Doll” as Want to Read:
Kitty's New Doll

Kitty's New Doll

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
KITTY AND HER mother go to the toy store for her very first doll. Which one does Kitty choose? Not the doll that walks and talks. Kitty chooses a rag doll that can’t do anything, not even sleep. “But she can pretend cry and pretend sleep . . . and she can say anything I want her to say,” says Kitty. And as she walks home with her new doll, she holds it close and pretends t ...more
Published October 26th 2011 by Golden Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Kitty's New Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitty's New Doll

Barb
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Some cat lovers wear clothes depicting cats, others collect cat figurines, I have combined both my love of books and cats: I collect cat books, even children’s books, which is why I have Dorothy Kunhardt’s Kitty’s New Doll. In a town of human-like cats (they walk on their hind legs), a mother takes her daughter to the toy store to buy a doll. The basic message of the story is to appreciate simplicity and imagination in life, which is certainly a good thing.

What I don’t like is that it reinforces
Tori  De
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my Top Ten Favorite Books as a kid. This was the sweetest read--it had kittens and dolls, a win-win situation for my younger self, after all! Combined with warm illustrations and a plot that was rather endearing (and mainly short enough to kept me coming back to read it), this book was bound to make an impact on me--and it did, in a small way, by remaining impressed on my memory even as time drew on and I grew older. Reflecting back on this read has made me realize that the act of Kitty c ...more
Michael
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Aleyda
Two stars does not mean it was bad, it means that I thought it was "OK". I didn't dislike the story, just that compared to all the other books out there, this was "OK". Now, Aleyda, who loves "kitties" really liked the book, she gave it four stars. My review, my rating--when she gets her own "goodreads" page she can mark this book any way she sees fit. I will say that Kitty did pick the right doll for the right reasons, to let Kitty's imagination rule future play.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2013
This is a short, sweet story about a young girl picking out a doll for her very own. The story is reminiscent of Corduroy by Don Freeman, but isn't as much of a classic. The illustrations are soft and colorful.
Liane
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misty
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Shopping. Dolls. Mother and Daughter Relationships. Cats

Curricular Use: Read-aloud

Literary Elements: Personification: characters are cats. Imagery. Description of all the dolls until we find out Kitty's choice

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and Pictures
Debbie
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful little story! (I picked this book up after watching the HBO documentary "Living with Lincoln". The Kunhardts and the Meserves are fascinating! Dorothy Kunhardt also wrote Pat the Bunny.)
Sara B
This is a story about a mother and daughter going shopping for a new doll. The daughter looks all the dolls over until she finds the perfect doll. The mother doesn't understand why the daughter picked the doll she did until she explains it to her.
Courtney Williams
My very favourite book as a kid!
Stacy
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given to me as a gift when I was little, I still have it to this day, It touched my heart back then and made me teary eye.
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autonomy, giving
I loved this book as a child & I love it as an adult. I love the story about a little girl picking out her very own doll. It's just adorable!
Sharon Green
ages 4-7
transitional
read aloud/shared reading
animal picture book
personification
acceptance/love
cute story of little girl kitty choosing the jsut right doll
Kristin
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my all time favorite growing up. It is such a good story.
Beth
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Kitty has many choices for a new doll and some can do many different things. Kitty likes the rag doll the best because it has no limitations.
Kyla Corrigan
Feb 01, 2012
Anna
Dec 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Dorothy Kunhardt was the author of over 50 children's book, including the legendary interactive baby book, Pat the Bunny. She was also a historian, writing several books about 19th century America, including a well-known account of the aftermath of Lincoln's assassination.
More about Dorothy Kunhardt...