Start by marking “Control the Crazy: My Plan to Stop Stressing, Avoid Drama, and Maintain Inner Cool” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
We all have the power to make our lives better in an instant. You have absolute power to control your crazy. In his new book, Vinny from Jersey Shore shares the step-by-step program that has helped him get a handle on his anxious mind and filled him with a sense of personal power and control that has rocked every facet of his life.
Published April 17th 2012 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Control the Crazy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Control the Crazy

Keyreads
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was very impressed with this self- help novel. As someone who has been battling depression and anxiety I found Vinny's guide very helpful. His suggestions for stopping the negative thoughts, focusing on the here & now, and realizing that those negative thoughts are not who I really am, have made a difference in my mental health.
Negative thoughts and worries were plaguing me constantly before reading this book. I've definitely noticed a difference in my mental health just from focusing on
Julia
Did I seriously just read a book about controlling your anxiety that was written by one of the cast of The Jersey Shore? And did I actually kind of enjoy it??? What is wrong with me?!?!

Not a stranger to anxious feelings and panic attacks, I've read a good amount of literature on the subject. This book is definitely...um, different than a lot of the other self-help books I've come across. However, I can see how a book like this would be helpful for young people with these mental health problems.
Debbie
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: troubled teens, young people,
Recommended to Debbie by: Marci Shimoff via e-mail
Who would have thought that Vinny on MTV's Jersey Shore could write a great self help book?
I have read a lot of self help books and Vinny's is a refreshing update on the classic ideas.
Here is a quote from the book, "Generosity and gratitude act like the cleaning agent Formula 409 on your mind".
Vinny really tells it like it is with his co-author Samantha Rose.
If you have a young person in your family, get them this book.
If you have a troubled teen, get them this book.
If you want to know what youn
Erin
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really impressed with this book. Vinny's approach to his own anxiety is based in research and experience, but is realistic and attainable.
Christina
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read Control the Crazy:

It's the emotional logic of spiritual teachers jazzed up in an easy-to-comprehend guido's real-life narrative.

The book distills pages and pages of self-help information contained in other books into the simple, few proven techniques. Vinny from Jersey Shore cuts through the clutter of touchy-feely principles and gives the reader useful, practical advice.

Vinny Guadagnino from Jersey Shore, Reality TV's Hottest Celeb, has General Anxiety Disorder (GAD).

Yep-no kidding.

As does
Holly Hood
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently I have had my fair share of anxiety creeping up. Not afraid to admit it. It makes you feel crazy for sure. I really didn't even think about picking this up, but last night when I was rather emotional I read the sample and totally found myself relating to the words I was reading.
I will say it made me feel better in many ways. Vinny offers a lot of helpful tips on battling anxiety. Those who don't have it don't understand how hard it is. It can hit out of nowhere, it makes you go places i
Lori
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

So yeah, I read a book written by Vinny from Jersey Shore.

To be honest, I picked it up because with a title like Control the Crazy I thought it would be chock full of the crazy antics of the Jersey Shore cast as seen from the most level-headed member.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a self-help book on dealing with and controlling General Anxiety Disorder, a disorder from which Vinny suffers.

Imagine my further surprise when the book delivered on its premise...

Using mind, body and sou
Elizabeth
Okay, so I love Vinny. He has always been one of my favorite characters on Jersey Shore and I was amped to hear he wrote a book. It made me really eager to want to buy it, especially because it was about dealing with anxiety and I do that on a daily basis. I'll be the first to say he is an all around awesome person..but as for his writing? Parts of it really annoyed me. A lot of his advice I really valued and could relate to. But, his writing was SO repetitive. I also wasn't a fan of how he stop ...more
Tatiana
I appreciated how accessible it was. It really shows that Vinny know who might be picking up this book. I also really liked that he was very clear that these were his thoughts, ideas and coping mechanisms and that he in know way was a professional and that if you feel your issues are serious that you should seek out a professional.

I did find it a little beneath me in some places but again he's writing for people would see that someone from the jersey shore wrote a book rather than those who migh
Stacie
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, self-help
Like Vinny, I also have generalized anxiety disorder, so I can relate and understand completely. This book helped me immensely, I swear I thought to myself "you too?!" a hundred times while I was reading. It made me realize how my negative thoughts are impacting my life and how I can control them. The author also wrote this in a very realistic manner, after introducing every new technique, he explains that you may not be able to achieve it right away and how you can practice to get better at it. ...more
Jake
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. One of my favorites. I liked it so much because I could relate to it, I felt like i understood every point that the author made. When I read the book I read for hours at home because i could not put it down and it seemed like it was very easy to read and well put together.

I would recommend it to anyone that is struggling with anxiety. It is very informational and it shows struggles from someone else point of view. Also it helps you get a better understanding of how sever
Amanda
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really made me appreciate Vinny in a new way. I too struggle with anxiety and he really taught me new ways to deal with it. This book is for anyone, not just for people who struggle with depression and anxiety. I find myself using a lot of the tips and pointers that he shares and it does make me feel like a better person. He shows you how to have a good outlook on life instead of always being so negative, which I also used to struggle with as we'll. I defiantly recommend it.
Brisbride13
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this book cover to cover; I really wanted to see if this was a valid guide to controlling anxiety and found that it contains much of what I have learned as far as the breathing exercises, changing thought processes and it's written for a younger audience, which I think is wonderful. If I was a young adult I would be more inclined to read this, with Vinny on the cover than something called Anxiety Disorders: A Scientific...blah, blah, blah!
Caitlin Chciuk
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2012
Not sure what will come of this, but hey, it's a quick easy read to get me through finals!

This book had me laughing so much... it was really, really well done. Vinny doesn't try to be someone who believes he can fix everything -- he keeps asserting that this is what worked for him and maybe it'll work for someone else. I gained a lot from this book. :)
Liz
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vinny deals with anxiety, and genuinely wants to help others by sharing his knowledge. He makes Chopra, Tolle, and all those other self-help gurus that normally bore a person to tears accessible. He doesn't talk down, uses a little humor, and avoids excessive buzzwords like "enlightenment."
Deuce Bigelow
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had some useful tips that I'll certainly try to implement at work but otherwise I didn't really find its message useful.
Kate Gold
Ridiculously repetitive, abused the word "mad" as an adjective. Full review here: http://katieboe.wordpress.com/2013/06...
Jordan
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book!! It gives amazing information on how to fight the crazy ego thoughts in your head!It also taught me what an egomaniac is and now I can sense an egomaniac right away!
Susan Vacher
Good all around advice on dealing with stress and anxiety based on a mind, body and soul approach. Not particularly new information but delivered Jersey Shore style!
Heather
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book truly opened my eyes and helped me learn to live a better life. There are many helpful tools that can be used to get your anxiety under control; it really works! Thanks Vinny!
Melanie
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.
Colleen
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am surprised how much I like this book - not what I expected at all…
Kayla Marie
So far it's a pretty good book, I like how it relates to my generation and he breaks it down so young adults can grasp it better!
Chelsea Gouin
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A nice guide on how to calm your anxiety. Really helpful!
Becky
Oct 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Rules According to Jwoww
  • Confessions of a Guidette
  • Reflections on the Dawn of Consciousness: Julian Jaynes's Bicameral Mind Theory Revisited
  • Life... With No Breaks
  • How to Be Famous: Our Guide to Looking the Part, Playing the Press, and Becoming a Tabloid Fixture
  • Shaka Zulu
  • How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body
  • What Do You Want to Do Before You Die?
  • The Life and Hard Times of Heidi Abromowitz
  • Think Like a Winner
  • Deadly Force - Understanding Your Right to Self Defense
  • Data Mining Techniques: For Marketing, Sales, and Customer Relationship Management
  • Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
  • Let's Talk About Pep
  • The Monkey House
  • Growing Up Muslim: Understanding the Beliefs and Practices of Islam
  • The New Relationship Marketing: How to Build a Large, Loyal, Profitable Network Using the Social Web
  • Writing Great Fiction: Storytelling Tips and Techniques
Vinny Guadagnino was born and raised in Staten Island, New York, and comes from a traditional Italian-American family. He graduated from CUNY College of Staten Island with honors, took the LSAT, and was a political aide for a State Assemblyman before joining Jersey Shore in 2009. When he’s not appearing on reality and scripted television, Vinny focuses on prosocial issues.
More about Vinny Guadagnino...