Start by marking “Sense of Sight” as Want to Read:
Sense of Sight

Sense of Sight

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
With this provocative and infinitely moving collection of essays, a preeminent critic of our time responds to the profound questions posed by the visual world. For when John Berger writes about Cubism, he writes not only of Braque, Léger, Picasso, and Gris, but of that incredible moment early in this century when the world converged around a marvelouis sense of promise. Wh ...more
Published July 13th 2011 by Vintage (first published January 12th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Sense of Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sense of Sight

Elise
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elise by: everyone
I reread these essays all the time. The final essay "The Production of Reality" (Berger's description of his visit to the van Gogh museum)saved my life.
Berger is a historian,art-critic, marxist, and spriritual/moral guide.
I am pretty sure that John Berger has seen and thought about every single piece of art that has ever existed.
Salomé Jashi
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
The way he writes is extremely visual. it's like watching a film based on small details that make you happy out of nothing. Here's one chapter from this book

Namrirru
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, essays
The prose of this book is unbelievably beautiful.
Brynn
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"All the languages of art have been developed as an attempt to transform the instantaneous into the permanent." (9)

"Art is an organized response to what nature allows us to glimpse occasionally." (9)

"In any case experience folds upon itself, refers backwards and forwards to itself through the referents of hope and fear; and, by the use of metaphor which is at the origin of language, it is continually comparing like with unlike, what is small with what is large, what is near with what is distant.
Milton Brasher-Cunningham
John Berger gives me new things to think about every time I read one of his books. His words are full of humanity and compassion, as he implores us to look--really look--at the world and see what matters most: "For an animal its natural environment and habitat are a given; for [a human] . . .reality is not a given: it has to be continually sought out, held—I am tempted to say salvaged. . . . Reality, however one interprets it, lies beyond a screen of clichés." (278)
Dixon
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't particularly enjoy the entire book. As a collection of short essays it was a little overbearing. However, two of my favorite short pieces are in the collection. Manhattan & The Theatre of Indifference, which run smoothly together in style, composition and concept. If you have not read these, they are a must, especially in the postmodern society of the 21st century.
Atila Demirkasımoğlu
Kübizm Anı çok önemli bir makale. Yine Şiirin Saati de önemli. John Berger, sanatçı ve yazarı şahsında bütünleyebilmiş bir kişi. Yeni güzellik ve düşüncelerle buluşurken bakmayı ve görmeyi, öncelikle zihinsel bir faaliyet ama ancak birikimin üzerine koyulan bir faaliyet olarak gören ve bunu son derece yalın ve sade biçimde gerçekleştiren bir kişi.
Tyler Smith
One can only read Marxist interpretations of art for so many pages. About 150, I think. Berger is a mammoth, but I wish he'd stop letting Karl Marx tell me why Modigliani is important and just do it himself.
Blair
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure I'll say this again somewhere in my reviews, but read any John Berger you can. He's fantastic. (Seminal work: Ways Of Seeing)
David Tate
Dec 28, 2014
Brent Coulthard
Mar 25, 2013
Riz Ahmed
rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2017
  • The Transfiguration of the Commonplace: A Philosophy of Art
  • Reflections: Essays, Aphorisms, Autobiographical Writings
  • The Open Work
  • Under the Sign of Saturn: Essays
  • Signs Taken For Wonders: Essays on the Sociology of Literary Forms (Verso Radical Thinkers)
  • The Cultural Studies Reader
  • Flesh and Stone: The Body and the City in Western Civilization
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • Selected Writings on Art and Literature
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • Nothing If Not Critical: Selected Essays on Art and Artists
  • In Montmartre: Picasso, Matisse and the Birth of Modernist Art
  • Making Art a Practice: How to Be the Artist You Are
John Peter Berger was an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has incre
More about John Berger...