Start by marking “My First Counting Book” as Want to Read:
My First Counting Book

My First Counting Book

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  1,468 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
It's easy to learn to count with this classic Little Golden Book! The rhythmic text, paired with breathtaking animal illustrations by Garth Williams, have made counting from one to ten a joy for nearly 60 years. A must for every preschooler's library.
Published December 21st 2011 by Golden Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about My First Counting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Counting Book

Julia
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not quite sure if this was my first counting book but it was one that I have remembered. Unlike some later counting books this one wasn't as simple and clear as I have seen them now with just a number and possibly whatever the subject is that is being counted for it included the number, a picture that corresponded with a well-known animal and a rhyme that accompanied it.

This is one that I actually had my niece reading along with me and I enjoyed it. She is old enough to know her numbers so
Andy Hickman
Little Golden Books – My First Counting Book
Nice to return to these first reads of mine.
Chad Olson
Jude book #239: Learnin' The Jude to count to ten.
Christine
This beautiful counting book is illustrated by Garth Williams who is probably best known for his work on Charlotte's Web and the Little House Series. He's illustrated lots of picture books too and I look forward to exploring more of them. I love the board book format of this classic Little Golden book and the combination of animals, rhymes, and counting is a big winner in our house right now.
Taylor Laird
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd314
What I have noticed with looking for finding picture books, is that they are a much easier read, and include less words and more pictures. My First Counting Book is a prime example of such. It is a book that counts from 1-10 and uses animals to help do so. The first one is 1, and it is a sad lonely puppy who has nobody to play with, the illustration goes along great with the words. In most picture books, it seems that the illustrator is having more work designing, creating, and mapping pictures, ...more
Inhabiting Books
"One little puppy,
A roley poley puppy, alone as he can be.
Isn't there a boy or girl
Who wants to play with me?"

Thus begins my Susanna's favorite counting book, which also happens to be a Little Golden Book, first published in 1956. "Ithn't he tho cute?" coos Susanna about the little puppy. "I want him. He would like me."

This book features sweet, cuddly animal drawings by Garth Williams (the illustrator of Charlotte's Web, The Little House on the Prairie series, and many, many more books.) Ea
Maki
My mom got this and Bunnies' ABC for my daughter for Easter.

There are cute pictures and rhymes to go along with each number, from one to ten. There was a lot more substance to this book than Bunnies' ABC, which was essentially just the alphabet and animal names. "Aa for alligator" and so on. Each number had its own sort of story to go with it, so that the book wasn't just numbers.

My First Counting Book was a fun, easy read - or you know. It would have been if I wasn't reading it out loud while f
Margaret Chind
I think this book was originally recommended to me through the Animal Play curriculum. It is another one we borrowed through our local library and the READS program with Overdrive through my Kindle Fire. Love that! This one was a different formatting from the others where it was a vertical image rather than the horizontal and it did not look quite as good that way, but it was still full readable on the Kindle Fire.

This book is full of beautiful images and some words that kids might not get in t
Karen
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading so many books written in choppy rhyme, this book was a delight to read out loud. The rhyming schemes do not match from number to number, but within each "verse" the rhyming scheme and meter work beautifully. It was reminiscent of reading nursery rhymes.

Garth Williams illustrated this book. Garth Williams. the illustrator of Little House on the Prairie book and of Charlotte's Web, illustrated this book. Yeah, that Garth Williams.
Blanca R.
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, habitat, counting
This is a interesting book for children to get their attention to read books and practice counting because has pictures of many animals and the habitat of different animals.
Learning experience: Practice counting with children with different pictures of animals or give children magazines and instruct them to cut animals from the magazines and count how many they have in total
Krista (She Reads Many Books)
I adore this Little Golden Book. It brings back childhood memories. We came to have this book as a gift to my children. My son loves it, especially because it has kittens on the cover. This book features many animals and teaches numbers and counting but I can easily see how it can be used to teach animals as well! The illustrations are beautiful.
Lauren
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Very good first counting book. I thought it was fun to read when I was a child and it taught me a lot. Good book for kids to learn how to count.
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
This is a wonderful Golden Book for teaching children how to count and read.
Betty
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baby animals, sweet verses, and Garth Williams as illustrator. What could be better?
Skylar Burris
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My daughter enjoyed this from ages two to three and a half, and it helped her to practice her numbers and counting.
Heather
This book is beautifully illustrated, and tells a nice story. I don't really like Golden Books, but this one is cute.
Colleen
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love the illustrations. It is just an adorable book.
Jeffiner Singleton
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This sweet little read is the "full package" in kids books... adorable, realistic animal pictures; teachers numbers as well as language with its clever rhyming text.
Angelo G.
I learned how to count reading this book.
Mandy
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My First Counting Book by Lilian Moore (1957)
H.L. Stephens
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Allison
Cute, especially for fans of the Little Golden Book
Ryan
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love it and it's so good it's out of sight.
Melissa
One of the best counting books we've read.
Samantha
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liam-s-books
I remember teething in this book when I was a baby. I'm really excited to give it to my son.
IoAmelia14
Jan 04, 2013
Daniela Avramova
May 22, 2015
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Friendly Book (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Little Mommy (Little Golden Book)
  • Four Little Kittens (a Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Doctor Dan: The Bandage Man
  • Butterfly Kisses
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Happy Baby Colors
  • Prayers for Children (Little Golden Book)
  • I Can Fly
  • The Fire Engine Book (Little Golden Book)
  • Tootle
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • A Pocketful of Cricket
  • The Christmas Story (Little Golden Book)
  • Alice in Wonderland
Lilian Moore grew up in New York, received a degree in teaching from Hunter College, and did graduate work at Columbia University. She attended college during the Depression, so job opportunities were few. She worked for the Bureau of Educational Research, helping children who could not read in their Reading Clinic. Ms. Moore was also a reading specialist for the New York Board of Education. She t ...more
More about Lilian Moore...