Start by marking “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1 (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1 (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.1)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1 (Millennium: The Graphic Novels #1.1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,780 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
The official graphic novel adaptation of Stieg Larsson's THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. This is book 1 of 2. Both books also were combined into a single volume.

Harriet Vanger, a scion of one of Sweden's wealthiest families disappeared over forty years ago. All these years later, her aged uncle continues to seek the truth. He hires Mikael Blomkvist, a crusading journalist
Hardcover, 1st edition, 146 pages
Published November 13th 2012 by Vertigo (first published November 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1

Gally
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Vol. 1 Review by Gally Lines (2/5 stars)

LestISmiteThee.wordpress.com

For the record, I own the entire Millennium book trilogy and the Swedish movie trilogy. It's one of my favorite series and Lisbeth is hands down an all-time favorite character. My review treats this graphic novel as an adaptation of an original work, not an original or stand-alone work because that's not what it is.

That being said, while I do enjoy quite a few graphic novels, I don't usually
Avery
Nov 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
I am a very big fan of Stieg Larsson's original series, as well as the films. I was very excited to read the graphic novel adaptation, even though it seemed a bit pointless. To me, releasing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in such a form threatened to deter people from reading the actual novel and simply picking up the comic version. Indeed, skimming through the reviews thus far, many have either only seen the films, or are completely new and this is their introduction to the series.
What a sham
Kai
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Good adaption of a great novel. It is extremely hard, I'd say impossible, to put Stieg Larsson's masterwork between only 146 pages. I liked the comic but it could not transmit all the feelings, the rawness, the cruelty and genius of the original work.
Beth
This book is perhaps the most pointless cash grab I've ever read in my whole life. I will concede that some of the illustrations - especially the cover - were gorgeous and obviously had been done meticulously and lovingly. However:

- This book is only HALF of a book I've already read. It's incredibly overpriced and, for that, I would recommend it to absolutely nobody. Dude, nearly ten pounds for half of a book I've already read? This "section" of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo introduces us to a
Paul Nelson
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ok I've read the millennium trilogy, seen the Swedish versions of all three films including the extended cuts and the Hollywood version, so I was interested to see how the graphic novel adaptation was handled.
Lisbeth Salander is probably one of the most intriguing heroines ever put down on paper, socially inept, a moody genius, hard as nails and prone to the odd spot of violence when threatened.

The graphic novel relies heavily on the fact that the reader is intimately familiar with the storylin
Jillyn
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Lisbeth
Recommended to Jillyn by: DC Comics
I won this book through Goodreads Firstreads.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Vol. 1 is a graphic novel adaptation of Stieg Larsson's bestselling book by the same title. It follows a murder mystery from decades past with the socially inept computer genuis Lisbeth at center stage. This volume covers half of that novel, with a second volume to be released in the future.

---

+I have to say, this book is beautiful, from cover to cover. The character that sticks out as consistently awesome looking is t
Ana Mardoll
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Graphic Novel) / B009DNVXX8

I'm a big fan of the Millennium Trilogy, having read the novels several times, listened to the audiobook narrated by Simon Vance, and own the original movies with Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace. (I have not, for the record, seen the American remakes.) I selected this graphic novel at NetGalley with a great deal of excitement, fully expecting to enjoy it, but... well, I won't say I'm disappointed exactly, but I'm not enthralled.

This in
Luke
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to revisit The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo before I started The Girl Who Played With Fire. So I decided to experience via another medium: the graphic novel. I have read the book, I have seen the movie (the Swedish one), and now I have read the the first graphic novel of two.

It was enjoyable: the way everything unfolded and the way it left you reeling with questions. It was, at times, mostly on Lisbeth's end - if you are familiar with the story, you know what I mean - disturbing.

I woul
Allie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, gn
Not gonna lie, I have no clue what's going on. I hear the books are really good, but I've never been able to get past the Swedish names and stuff. I was having a hard time keeping the two story lines separate and also not confusing the 2 blonde guys. Oh well, maybe I'll go ahead and read the second volume and see how it goes.
Pat
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I thought Denise Mina did a very good job of adapting the novel 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' into a graphic novel. The artistry is fantastic and the story is very readable. I don't know when Vol 2 will be released to finish the story but hopefully it will be soon.
Francis
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of the original book series, and did enjoy this graphic novel. It does help to have read the novels first, as a few characters are drawn quite similarly.
Huutavakilpikonna
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oijoi miten tarina veti mukanaan.
David Schaafsma
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
Hitchcock said the perfect literary complement to the full length (which is to say, 90-120 minute) film is the short story. And people keep adapting huge novels (the Harry Potter series, Lord the Rings... Larsson's Dragon Tattoo!) into films that don't quite satisfy if we use certain criteria. But using OTHER criteria, well sometimes it works out just fine, and some people might even say Jackson's Lord of the Rings improve on Tolkien's (boringly) detailed, almost scholarly books. I liked the Har ...more
Jen
I liked this book, but I didn't love it; it was really just okay. It was somewhat hard for me to follow and understand due to a lack of captions on some of the illustrations. And then others of the illustrations were either too "close in" or too busy for me to fully make sense of them. I was disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more, since the novel form of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was excellent. So far I'm two for two as far as not enjoying graphic novels goes. Perhaps I just am not the s ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really really enjoyed this book.

While it was a little hard for me to follow (the names are all foreign and the movie was really over my head) I really really enjoyed all the artwork. I mean WOW!!! It reminded me of James O'Barr. Super loved!!!

I don't recommend this for the kiddies (of course). And the older teens? Well, that's up to you. There is the rape scene, 2 bits where Mikael is in bed with a chicky poo, and one where Lisbeth's woman is showing off her chest. (my husband was not impresse
Kate
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was feeling a bit like I was going through Lisbeth Salander withdrawal after reading the latest in the Millenium series. Even though I've already read the novel and watched both the Swedish and English versions of the movie, this graphic adaptation still added something. The major plot points were boiled down to a level where I could really understand what was going on - Swedish financial politics aren't exactly riveting. Lisbeth herself obviously is a very visually stunning character and that ...more
Emily
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I own a copy given as a Christmas present from my girlfriend, Jillyn.

I love The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books, the movie, and now the graphic novel. As one with ADHD it's sometimes very hard to follow just text or just moving pictures, there's so much to concentrate on and it doesn't always go at a slow enough pace. But, with the graphic novel, I was able to spend as much time on each page or cell as I needed to grasp the concept of the story. The art was beautiful, I loved it, but I wasn't
Licha
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Graphic format of the novel. I'm not sure this would be easy to follow if you don't already have the background of the story and the characters. I feel like I would have been lost. Bad way to also get to know Lisbeth Salander, one of the best characters to have ever been born to the literary world.

The graphics for the rape scene were very hard to get past. It made me mad, sad, protective all over again. It is truly one of the most powerful and haunting scenes I've ever had to read. Seeing it in
Christine
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, galley
I wasn't sure this would be adaptable into graphic novel form, but Denise Mina did a great job, I thought. I even learned something about the beginning of the book that I missed from previously reading the actual book because it wasn't bogged down in 60 pages of court proceedings.

I liked that it wasn't as graphic as I was expecting it to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty graphic, but it's not as bad as the movies.

I liked how they characterized Mikael and Lisbeth and how they didn't make
Yzobelle
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A beautiful representation of one of my favorite series! I think the drawings give justice to Lisbeth, Mikael (he does look Swedish!) and even to Mr. Bjurman (that pig!).

As expected though, this volume will leave you suspended and you cannot not but buy the second volume! Although I was expecting that it would be unfinished, I didn't realize that the suspension was taken literally by the creators of this book. When I reached the last page, the last dialogue box, the sentence was literally left
Mersini
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
So it seems I have a huge, huge weakness of Lisbeth Salander. But do you blame me? The graphic novel adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo brings her to life, and I found myself looking forward to the parts with her in it more than Mikael's story. However, that could be because I know what happens and Lisbeth is much more visually appealing than Mikael.

The only downside of this is that it's split into two volumes. The ending of volume 1 seems very abrupt and a little jarring. The rest of
Melissa Railey
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, I'm impressed. This graphic novel did a wonderful job of bringing the first book to life and, in truth, it read better than the actual book. It moved faster, was grittier, more compelling. I loved it. My only hesitation in recommending it is that a person who hasn't read the book might not understand what is going on in the story as well as a person who has read the book. It's quite brief. But it is a wonderful adaptation.
Megan Campbell
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Millennium series is one of my favourites, and I freaking love Lisbeth and think she is so totally kick ass!! The only reason this is a 4 and not a 5 is because of the art style, but I will absolutely be continuing on.
Nyxteriri
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
The art style is not to my liking and the story is way too heavy with financial terms for my taste. I do also find the title misleading, as more often than not, the story is told through the eyes of some boring journalist instead of the cool and edgy goth hacker girl we were promised.
Lisa
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how well it would translate if you didn't read the book, but I got to the end and was a little sad for it to be over...
Elia
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Damn this was good. It cuts out all the slow bits from the original book without losing any of the key points in the story, and adds excellent visuals as well.
Kate
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Great artwork! A few changes from the book, but Lisbeth is still kick ass and Blomkvist is still racking up the honeys!
Madara
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Because I love The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo I was a bit disappointed. Novel was slower and kept me on the edge, graphic novel moved way too fast and was all over the place. The art was great tho.
Dana
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5
Jon
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Good but I definitely prefer the book!
Who Came up with ...: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 10 16 Dec 12, 2012 03:13PM
  • Sharaz-De
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 5
  • Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz
  • Batwoman, Vol. 3: World's Finest
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Solo
  • Another: 0
  • Kings in Disguise: A Novel
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 7 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #7)
  • Mike's Place
  • Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths, Volume 1
  • Zero, Vol. 2: At the Heart of It All
  • Lady Mechanika #0 (The Demon of Satan's Alley)
  • The Witcher: House of Glass
Denise Mina was born in Glasgow in 1966. Because of her father's job as an Engineer, the family followed the north sea oil boom of the seventies around Europe
She left school at sixteen and did a number of poorly paid jobs, including working in a meat factory, as a bar maid, kitchen porter and cook.
Eventually she settled in auxiliary nursing for geriatric and terminal care patients.
At twenty one sh
More about Denise Mina...

Millennium: The Graphic Novels (5 books)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Book 2 (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.2)
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #3)