Start by marking “Under the Bridge” as Want to Read:
Under the Bridge

Under the Bridge

Tate's younger brother Indy is probably the best skateboarder in Spokane. He's also really smart though he couldn't care less about school. But when Indy clashes with his father one too many times and drops out of school, it's up to Tate to win his brother back from the seedier elements of Spokane. Can Tate convince Indy to come home, finish his high school degree, and ret ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Bridge

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: galleys, read-in-2012
3.5/5 stars

Tate and Indy Brooks aren't the luckiest kids. They don't live in the suburbs but they don't live in the bad part of town either. They live in the buffer zone between the suburbs and poverty, not quite existing in either. Their father is a bit of a hard ass. He works hard and so should you. That's his mentality and he has trouble understanding any other perspective. Tate and Indy spend their days skating Under the Bridge, the local skate park.

Tate's a bit rough around the edges, alway
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review can also be found here

This book was extremely gritty and shows what can happen when the streets overtake someone you care about. It also shows the lengths that one teenager will go to just to rescue his brother. This is not a happy book, though it does have a happy ending. The journey throughout is dark and dreary and not full of much hope. That's the funny thing about teenagers, they try no matter what, especially when it's one of their own that's in trouble.

This is a story about lo
Brendan F.
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Zachary Jones
Mar 25, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2013
Another book about fighting for what you love and living your dreams. About getting caught up in sticky situations but finding a way out. About living, breathing, being.
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Under the Bridge is definitely a well-written YA novel. The themes and characters are simplistic, but anyone can relate to the story in one way or another, and the author's use of dialogue and imagery are amazing.
J. Taylor
I really enjoyed this. So so perfect.
710Lawson
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. recommended to any Ya reader.
710jalissa
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like the book that much it was kind of boring and not that interesting in the beginning but it ended up being an okay book towards the end.
711Lukas
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazingly written. The author kept me engaged the whole time and wondering what would happen next.
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2013/...

*Each of us deals with our teen years differently, but I am sure that we all either know (or were) the teen that made some bad choices. This is a book about a teen much like these kids. It is narrated by his older brother and one of the story lines is about our protagonist, Tate, trying to find his own path, but the main story line in Under the Bridge is about his brother, Indy.
As a teacher, this one tore at my heart strings because it is de
Diego Avalos
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My book was really interesting because it was talking about people that were not loved by their parents my parents love me and i love them but it was interesting reading and imagining something like that. Those people lived under a bridge that's why it was called like that because they always were there they said they were better there than home. They all had a good amount of pert in the book they were people that were not afraid of nobody but had responsibilities. I really liked the plot of the ...more
Daniel Talevi
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Skateboarding, the highly-drawn "sport" that is a well essential to the urban life. Some might say it is to pass the time, others say it is their life. Living the urban life is completely separate from the ghetto. But when one begins to dissolve into the ghetto, little does he know that he will also put his own life on the line. This is where this story comes in.

Tate Brooks and his younger brother, Indy, are just the average skateboarders you would usually find within the gritty streets of Spoka
Josephine
I wasn't engaged by the characters and the writing style didn't work for me. This was a DNF for me.
Yin Chien 인첸
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Michael Harmon's book Last Exit to Normal (this book was so underrated, I don't understand how it is not a NYT Bestseller, everyone should read it) so I didn't hesitate when I saw this book. I'm glad to say it didn't let me down.

I appreciate how Harmon's writing is always overflowing with emotions so raw and gritty. There is an unusual mix of angst, despair, hurt, love and acceptance via Tate's first-person narrative. Somehow Harmon manages to inject a glimmer of hope by projecting how T
Peggy
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Tate and his younger brother Indy are skateboarders. They are both struggling teens, struggling to know themselves, to find their way. They live in the city, not the suburbs, but not the inner city poverty areas either. They exist in the border territory, a working class family with working class values. Mom and Dad love their children, but Dad isn't the best at showing it. He is volatile but not physically abusive, with the exception of one argument that goes too far. ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Tate and his brother, Indy, hang out under the bridge in Spokane to skate. They are both good enough to be sponsored and turn pro, but Indy has issues. He’s ditching school and gotten himself mixed up with the local drug dealers. Can Tate rescue him?

This is a great story about teens and the choices they make. It’s also a great look at how friends and family can both abandon and rescue each other. Tate is a strong, smart character. I really like how he steps up to help his brother. Indy is also a
David Jin
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Michael Harmon's books are targeted for the mid-level teen, judging from his writing. I'm nearly an adult, and despite the simple language, I really enjoy is books. He has interesting plots and I like his characters. This is mu second favorite Harmon book, because Tate and Indy and co. are some of the best characters Harmon has come up with. I really liked each guy for their characteristics. The story was good too. I found myself caring for the guys and reading way past my preferred sleep time.

T
Gina
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A group of skateboarders in Spokane, Washington spend their free time in a skateboard park located under a freeway overpass. They have sworn an oath to stay drug-free after the overdose death of one of their good friends. The informal leader of the group is Tate and he is protective of his younger brother Indy. His brother is a bit of a rebel and ends getting kicked out by their dad for missing school and being disrespectful. When his brother starts dealing and using drugs Tate fights to save hi ...more
Anna
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a gritty novel. Tate's younger brother Indy gets involved with drug dealers and Tate feels he has to help him out by beating people up. There's cussing and suicide and violence and disrespecting adults. It's also a novel worth reading. It has a lot of really good messages, but not in a preachy sort of way. It does deal with some sensitive issues, so if you're a parent, keep in mind how worldly your teen is. If you're a teenager, I'm sure this just makes you want to read it more. It move ...more
Cole Puckett
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I personally give this book a four out of five stars. This book is a thrilling story about friendships, skateboarding, broken families, drug abuse, and teenage issues. These topics kept me interested. Harmon offers a real approach to teenaged life and a special bond between brothers. Tate’s character is also amazing. This story is about love and hate, and although the story isn’t always happy, it has a happy ending. This is a story about hope.
Ellen
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tate's younger brother Indy is a talented skater slacker. After pissing his dad off one time too many, Indy is kicked out and turns to the dark side. Tate braves drug dealers, late night party scenes, and his dad's intolerance to save his brother. While I liked other books of this type somewhat better - Stick by Andrew Smith, & What Happened by Peter Johnson - this one with its' inclusion of skater slang & culture is a good one to keep in mind.
Denise (TeenBookLook)
*** Content Analysis only ***

First Glance:

Two brothers with a dysfunctional home life get in over their heads with drugs and drug dealers.

Double Take:
32 F-words
100 additional profanities (stronger than 'hell' & 'damn')
Underage drinking/drug use

Lori
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, I like the author. Next, I like the raw edges given to Tate and his brother Indie. Finally, I would recommend this book to those who want a real life depiction of what happens "down there, in THOSE places."
Sherri
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A riveting book about brothers, skateboarding, family dynamics, and how far one boy will go to save his older brother's life from heading down the dangerous path of drug use. The bonus is that it's set in my home state of Washington.
Lisa Collins (Lisa Likes Books)
Kris
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gritty and intriguing story brings the reader into the life of teen skaters in Spokane.
Kaitlin
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not sugercoated, real stuff, believable, skateboarding (:D), and awesome characters and plot, so yeah it was pretty good.
Kiana
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dee
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
more thoughts to come...for the most part I enjoyed it...quick read, but thought provoking
Ifahh
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another satisfying read from one of my favourite authors. This story hits home in a number of ways: I know of someone as stubborn as this...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Not Exactly a Love Story
  • Son of a Gun
  • Getting Somewhere
  • The Summer of May
  • Nothing Special (Stupid Fast, #2)
  • A Certain October