Start by marking “The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs” as Want to Read:
The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs

The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs

Only The New Yorker could fetch such an unbelievable roster of talent on the subject of man’s best friend. This copious collection, beautifully illustrated in full color, features articles, fiction, humor, poems, cartoons, cover art, drafts, and drawings from the magazine’s archives. The roster of contributors includes John Cheever, Susan Orlean, Roddy Doyle, Ian Frazier, ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs

Start your review of The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs
Kirsten
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Terri Naughton
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great coffee table book. Not all of the stories were really about dogs, though all featured dogs as a part of the plot. Great Thurber stories (and cartoons!).
Vj
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 600-699
If you're a dog lover, you'll find a lot of appealing stories in this book.
Kiki
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of the stories show their age through the language used but overall a decent collection of stories if you are a fan of the New Yorker.
Marilyn
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the story about the New York police dogs. The book is too big to read it all!
Marilyn
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, 2019
Loved. the. book. It is a complete testament to good writing about those delightful beings we call dogs.
Donna Hill
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever since humans started throwing scraps to the adventurous wolves beyond the firelight, dogs have been inspiring us and drawing forth from us the full spectrum of our emotional capacity. From enjoyment, love and gratitude to exasperation, fear and cruelty, our reactions to our furry companions have been a mirror of our greatest virtues and our deepest shortcomings. If you're thinking of reading The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs in the hopes of finding one warm and fuzzy, tug-at-the-old-heartstri ...more
Donna Hill
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in dogs
Tom Schulte
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
A beautiful book, as New Yorker would do. The introduction from Malcolm Gladwell, one of my favorite authors, decries the lack of space for dogs in the city full of dog lovers. He also has two dog stories in here, one being "Whath the Dog Saw". I am not one for fiction, which is most of what we have here, let a lone canine tales, but some stood out: A John Cheever story, the epistoltory one from James Thurber, and a Jeffrey Toobin one about Leonna Helmsley. Always great are the New Yorker cartoo ...more
Debbie
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love books and I love dogs - so I guess it's a no-brainer that I'm going to love a book about dogs. This was a gorgeous book filled with cartoons, stories (both fiction and non-fiction) and reproductions of New Yorker covers that featured dogs. The book was more non-fiction than fiction, which surprised me. But all of the stories were top-notch and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire book.
Shazza Maddog
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
An enjoyable collection of cartoons, short stories and articles published by the New Yorker magazine. I believe the oldest item in the book is from the 1930's. There are short stories by James Thurber (and many of his cartoons), an article on Cesar Milan, articles from non-dog lovers, stories by people who adore dogs.

It's a very enjoyable collection.
Janet
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Sadly, I got bored reading this compilation of dog-related writings and stopped reading before I even got 25% of the way through. I skimmed the rest of the book and found very little of interest. This was sad to me because I LOVE dogs! And I love The New Yorker!
Abby
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A delightful compilation of the New Yorker's best dog-related prose, poetry, fiction, cartoons, and covers from 1925 to the present. A wonderful gift from my parents-in-law and a perfect, broad, and engaging discussion on American dogs.
Leslie
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm taking my time, jumping around with this book. Believe this is best way to enjoy fully the work of some of my favorite writers and illustrators on subject of man's best friend.

If you are fan of The New Yorker, I highly recommend My Years With Ross, by James Thurber.
Jessye
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A collection of stories, poems, and cartoons all related to man's best friend. Like any collection, some are better than others and I learned some interesting tidbits about drug sniffing dogs and read a couple lousy short stories I could have skipped. Good for any dog lover.
Robin
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
great coffee table read if you are a dog lover. funny cartoons and anecdotes
Dan Ream
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of both fiction and non-fiction, of which I had only read the one James Thurber story before.
Ritu Vincent
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I adore dogs, but unfortunately most of the pieces in this collection were somewhat boring. Sigh.
Janet
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Thought this was just a big ol' book of New Yorker cartoons. It's not; having a hard time reading through all these words. Still good stuff though.
Rachel
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• It's Not Right...but It's Okay
  • Small Acts of Freedom
  • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery
  • Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project, #1)
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Whisperer (Konrad Sejer, #13)
  • I Can See in the Dark
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • A Culinary History of Kentucky: Burgoo, Beer Cheese and Goetta
  • Second Best Thing: Marilyn, JFK, and a Night to Remember
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Empire of Lies
  • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • The Zahir
  • Helvetesilden (Konrad Sejer, #12)
The New Yorker is an American magazine of reportage, commentary, criticism, essays, fiction, satire, cartoons, and poetry published by Condé Nast Publications. Starting as a weekly in the mid-1920s, the magazine is now published forty-seven times per year, with five of these issues covering two-week spans.

News & Interviews