Start by marking “The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse, #1)

The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  16,600 Ratings  ·  2,064 Reviews
Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together.
Paperback, 1st Edition, 298 pages
Published October 2nd 2012 by Strange Chemistry (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin's Curse, please sign up.

Thea Yes, it has romance. It's unrequited at the moment, though (so if you like angst, this book got it).

Noelle
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an accurate portrayal of me after reading The Assassin's Curse:

In fact. You know, what? Hit it:

Ananna is a pirate, born and raised
and on the high seas is where she spends her days.
Sword fightin', riggin', stealing your loot.
Handy with a lie and a knife in her boot.
All she wants is to travel to distant lands,
but her mom and pop are plotting marriage plans.
She'll take adventure over a relationship,
so on the big day gives her fiance the slip.
She has no idea just what trouble she's in,
Emily May
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2015
2 1/2 stars. So, I finally tried the much-recommended The Assassin's Curse after all this time. I recently tried Clarke's adult novel - Our Lady of the Ice - and found it painfully slow, but I wanted to see how her YA book compared.

The Assassin's Curse was not as slow as Our Lady of the Ice and I was able to finish it, however, I am a little surprised by all the hype. There were some parts that I had to push myself through and I can say I have no desire to read The Pirate's Wish.

Firstly, there
Rachel E. Carter
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ladies and Gentleman, this is how you do fantasy.

description

If you enjoy spunky, defiant protagonists a la Alanna (Song of the Lioness) or Saba (Blood Red Road), or, hell, even Arya Stark, then meet Ananna: the headstrong pirate’s daughter who wants to own her own ship to pillage the coast one day. Umm, who doesn’t?
description

If you enjoy awesome world building (and we are talking the desert, sea, and a magicked island –how many times do you get all three settings in one book?) then you need to Buy. This. Now.

But w
Zuleeza
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite, arc
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

Easily, the BEST BOOK of 2012 I've read so far.

First, I would like to offer a shitload of virtual Nutella for mah girls,
Ebony
and Lisbeth as a sign of gratitute. Without their gushing reviews, I wouldn't go about requesting this from Netgalley.

I think I may have found my favourite book of 2012 so far.

No, I'm not kitten you.

My favourite shelf had been so loneleyh! SO LONELEYH! No books, and I mean no books had ever made it into that list after Dau
Ava Oceana
I don't think there are words to describe my severe disappointment after finishing THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE.

I began the book with high expectations after individually going through the glowing reviews my co-blogger friends wrote. I was ridiculously excited for THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE - but not only did it let me down... I disliked it heartily in general.

I, along with a majority of the readers, found the idea of the plot to be interesting and original - a strong, independent pirate-chick on a quest to c
Kaylin
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF @26%

Pirates?

Assassins?

Sign me up!

...and then quickly un-sign me. Because as fun as this idea is, it’s executed really poorly.

The story focuses on Ananna, who runs away from her pirate family to escape an arranged marriage. In doing so, she invokes the wrath of an assassin, and accidentally binds them together with a curse or some other mumbo-jumbo.

(I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t make it to the curse part.)

Though I really hate to put this down so early, I cannot get into this writing style
Jillian -always aspiring-
When I first read the synopsis for Cassandra Rose Clarke's The Assassin's Curse, I was very intrigued. Pirates? Assassins? Magic? Curses? Yes, please! Who wouldn't want to read a novel that seems like what might have happened if someone like Tamora Pierce had written Pirates of the Caribbean? As often as I've been burned by false promises in novel synopses, I need not have worried with this novel:  The Assassin's Curse fulfilled its promises and managed to soar above and beyond my expectations.

I
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates
There are few things I LOVE MORE than reading about two adversaries FORCED to become allies for some higher goal.
Saving Nanji's life binds him and Ananna together so Naji HAS TO protect her. The awkward teamwork! The reluctant bonding! Yelling at each other while fighting people! An odd pair but they were great
description

”Well, look who’s on my front porch,” he said, speaking Empire with this odd hissing accent. “A murderer and a cross-dressing pirate.”

I know i've emphasized my taste for independent an
Maureen
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars
I really really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the next one!
Catie
Do you love Grave Mercy, Blood Red Road, or The Bloody Jack series? Then you need to read this book.

Do you like Grave Mercy, but wish it had more actual murder and a less prim heroine?
Do you like Blood Red Road but wish it had a plot that actually made sense?
Do you like Jacky Faber, but wish she would just grow up already?

Then you definitely need to read this book.

This book is an absolutely entertaining, fun ride that swept me up onto the back of a stolen camel and never let me go. I finished it
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Give this at least 3 chapters...

...okay, maybe 4 chapters...

...come to think of it, go with 5, just to be safe...

3.5 stars. I can't remember where I got hooked, but it took a short amount of time. But when it happened, I was all in. It was sort of like when I read Graceling and felt like the story didn't really start until Katsa and Po hit the road. That's what happened to me with Assassin's Curse. Things start to pick up when Annabanana (uh...or something like that, her name was similar) ge
Katie
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angry-robot
This book has been making the rounds much more than I would have thought, considering it's published by a new indie publisher. But honestly, The Assassin's Curse is one of the best debuts I've read all year.

I've been saying for quite a while that what YA needs more of is pirates. There just really aren't that many. And I mean, come on. Who doesn't love a good pirate?

And the pirates in Ms. Clarke's book are epic. Think Pirates of the Caribbean #3, with all the different pirate lords getting toget
Tamora Pierce
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
A very unusual fantasy, with a female pirate hero and a brooding assassin male hero. You have to know I loved it because I gave it a quote for the cover!
Keertana
This, ladies and gentleman, is how you write a spectacular debut novel. Clarke’s first book is a masterful mix of imagination, thrill, suspense, and a subtle, but underlying, romance. Although I do have my own qualms with this book – which I will get to in a little bit – I can’t deny that it kept me entertained, forcing me to devour it all in one sitting. I fell in love with the character interaction and rich world that Clarke had created and I am already eagerly anticipating the sequel of thi ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
3.5
The Assassin’s Curse, Cassandra Rose Clarke’s debut novel, is an exciting and unusual adventure filled with pirates, magic and, of course, assassins. It’s a must read for everyone who’s grown a bit tired of the same ol, formulaic stories. This book could never have a girl in a pretty dress on its cover.

Here’s something I’ve noticed in Clarke’s adult book (The Mad Scientist’s Daughter), and it’s even more pronounced here: she tends to write slow-developing, complicated and subtle romances. So
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
WEEEEEEE I can't wait to continue this!
I love it!
Janina
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I feel like the blurb for this book very much summarises the whole story and is more than a little spoiler-y. I usually don't mind that too much, but if you would like to be surprised, better try to not take a closer look at it. (I just noticed the blurb was changed, so you are now free to read it ;) - and not be spoiled.)

You may not believe it: we have here a book about assassins and pirates that actually includes - hold your breath, hold your breath - real pirates and a real assassin who even
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

First of all : I've always been a sucker for pirates.

Humm. Nah. Not those ones

Nope.

Hell, yeaaaaah!

*blush* Okay I must confess, I loved the first two too.

Guybrush Threepwood powaaaa!

Oh, well.

Moreover, I have enough emphasized my taste for independent and courageous heroines.

So here's my reaction when I read the summarize : a pirate heroine? A curse? Several tasks to perform? an assassin who wants to kill her?

And as if that were not enough, I read : "The assassins were blood magicians in addi
☽Luna☾
Feb 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Pirates? Assassins?
Take all my money now and feed me badassery.
Ash Wednesday
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: Buddy Read with Samantha
2.5 STARS

I’m still having a hard time figuring out how a book from this author, with this kind of premise, in my go-to genre could have failed me monumentally.

A sassy seventeen year old pirate bride ditches her groom who in turn sends a deadly assassin after her to… well, kill her. By some brilliant turn of events, the pirate bride saves the assassin’s life, bi
Norah Una Sumner
Real rating: 3.5

Interesting book.I don't think I've ever read a book about pirates and their adventures.However,there is some fantasy and magic involved.The main character,Ananna,is quite cool,but she can be a bit impulsive sometimes.The main male character,Naji,is an assassin with bad-ass magic skills.I really liked him but he,too,was sometimes a bit impulsive.The world-building could've been a bit better but once you get accustomed to the setting the book becomes more interesting and easier to
Regan
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
A really fun read! The world may not have been explained all that well but the characters were awesome! I love where this story and adventure is going to go!
Rebekah
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-addiction
Original Review found at: www.awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com

This was a cute, fun, light, adventure with pirates, magic, curses, and of course, assassins.
However the problems I had with this story is it was underdeveloped, I had a hard time getting into the story. I felt that the beginning of the story was fine where the main character Ananna runs away from an arranged marriage and the fact that his family sent assassin's after her to kill her because of it. But after that I was hoping for more, I
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

I read about 30% of this before I did some severe skimming. The heroine speaks like this "I ain't had no dreams." the whole way through the book, personal dislike. The magical world, the magical associations, characters, and pretty much everything makes no sense to me. I'm not a usual YA reader, not sure if that is the problem here but I did not like the writing style, flow, or point of the story. It looks like 90% of my friends really liked this, I'm definitely in the minority here.
I've read T
Ylenia
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan of action & pirates
Shelves: 2015-reads
*3.25 stars*

This book was okay. And okay, sometimes, it's not enough.
It's not that I had high expectations because there isn't that much hype around this duology but still, I was kind of disappointed. I thought I was going to like it more.

The Assassin's Curse is the first book in a duology and it mixes magic with pirates and sea with assassins. I had never read something like this before, so obviously A+ for the original plot.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This book is action-packed from the first page, it was really easy
Experiment BL626
The Assassin's Curse (TAC) was a fun read. What a pity that the YA fantasy lacked substance.

Hollow Characters

+++ Ananna

Ananna was feisty, practical, and compassionate but these traits of her were not in good synergy. One example is when she rescued Naji from an asp after his failed attempt to assassinate her. She acted compassionately but how was it practical to save someone who was trying to kill you?

She had no problem, or I should say no hesitancy in stealing, lying, and killing when necessar
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This review is Breakdown of a Heroine Style because I just love Ananna that much.

Who is Ananna?
Ananna is the seventeen year old daughter of a pirate captain. She's been raised on a confederation pirate ship, knows her way around the riggings. She's handy with a sword and can find her way out of almost any problem.

Strength of Character
Ananna is kickass in all the best ways. She can defend herself with a sword and knife. She doesn't hesitate to fight off evil. When she decides to learn navigation
Jasprit
Recently I’ve noticed that the type of books I seem to get the most enjoyment out of as late are fantasy books. Contemporary novels are typically my best friend, I know I can turn to them when I need a quick pick me up and they always deliver through and through. But in the last few weeks’ books such as Throne of Glass, Defiance and Stormdancer, books which at the beginning of the year I never would have considered are ending up as my favourites of 2012. They seem to bring that extra oomph throu ...more
Cee (The Mistress Case)
"You’d think they could come up with a curse that didn’t have to drag innocent bystanders into it."

Wrong.

Correction: You’d think they could come up with a curse that didn’t have to drag stupid and boring bystanders into it.

The book itself isn’t boring, but Ananna is such a weak character. Not “tough” weak, but “weak” weak.

She’s completely unlikable and I don’t understand how her brain works. She’s immature, impulsive, careless, insensitive, and short-tempered and she gets upset at the tiniest th
Irini Pavlou
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ya-fantasy, ya
2,8/5

It reminded be a bit of Disney's Pirates; a little goofy, not too bloody ; I shouldn't have thought of Black Sails originally... . It took a while for the two main characters to create a chemistry and bond. I liked that the story immediately did not present the romantic interest, that was refreshing!
Unfortunately, the plot is loose and the elements of it (including the characters) do not blend too well together... The last few pages were the most exciting for me.
Also, I wished the heroin
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • Blackwood
  • Vessel
  • Dark Star (Dark Star, #1)
  • Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1)
  • Emilie and the Hollow World (Emilie, #1)
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
  • StarCrossed (Thief Errant, #1)
  • Pantomime (Micah Grey, #1)
  • The City's Son (The Skyscraper Throne, #1)
  • Hunting
  • Ward Against Death (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • Thief's Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #1)
  • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
5331983
Cassandra Rose Clarke is a speculative fiction writer living amongst the beige stucco and overgrown pecan trees of Houston, Texas. She graduated in 2006 from The University of St. Thomas with a bachelor’s degree in English, and in 2008 she completed her master’s degree in creative writing at The University of Texas at Austin. Both of these degrees have served her surprisingly well.

During the summe
More about Cassandra Rose Clarke...

The Assassin's Curse (2 books)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
“She moved like water, graceful and soft and lovely. Every part of me wanted to stick out my foot and trip her, just to see her stumble.” 129 likes
“You don't realize how much you miss something till it comes back to you, and then you wonder how you went so long without it.” 101 likes