Start by marking “Juxtaposition” as Want to Read:
Juxtaposition

Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept #3)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  10,341 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Stile had problems on two different worlds. On Proton he was threatened with murder, and on Phaze, an alternate world ruled by magic, he had to master magic, fight a dragon, win the friendship of a lady unicorn, locate his enemy among the paranoid Adepts and return out of Phaze to win the Great Games on Proton. After that, he was ready to face the real problems!
THE APPRENT
Published February 14th 2012 by Del Rey (first published March 1982)

James
The conclusion of the Apprentice Adept trilogy. Although that trilogy seems to have grown somewhat since the first time I read the first three. Now it's a seven part series: two trilogies and a finale apparently.

The end of the first trilogy ties up all the loose ends. The ending isn't ever in any doubt – the good guys win, the bad guys lose. The journey is the fun. Now I'm gonna have to find the rest of the series aren't I?
Thomas
When I was 13, I read a lot of Piers Anthony, and when I say “a lot,” I mean a lot. The guy was pretty much all I read, from the Xanth series to the Incarnations of Immortality series, and even the Battle Circle and Bio of a Space Tyrant series, but my favorite of his books from that time would have to be the Apprentice Adept series. I read them again in my late 20s and thought they held up pretty well, so when I got on a bit of a nostalgia kick recently, I thought I’d give these another go, jus ...more
David Sarkies
Mar 02, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody really, their not that good
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: sci-fi
The red and blue adept continue their spat
2 March 2012

This is the final book in the first trilogy of the Apprentice Adept series and is where the battle between the Blue Adept (Style) and the Red Adept comes to a conclusion. The final parts of the book are very action orientated as the battle rages across two interconnected worlds. Personally I have no idea why the Red Adept was so intent on killing Style, but it is a conflict, and it is a requirement of most literature that there be a conflict
Emily
Jul 30, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the planet Proton, science works and magic doesn't, but juxtaposed with this world is another frame, that of Phaze, where magic works, but science doesn't. This is powered by a mineral called Protonite or Phazite depending on which frame you are in, and the Protonite mining of it is endangering the balance of both frames. Stile has been prophesied to ameliorate this destruction, but many powerful people in both frames are out to stop him, denying the destabilization and wanting to maintain th ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Juxaposition is definitely the best of the initial trilogy. The pace is very fast, with satisfying, significant events happening regularly. Stile-as-Citizen is delightful - some of the gambling scenes are better than any of the previous Game scenes. And while Stile's rigid morality gets tiresome, it is, at least, internally consistent, and the deux ex machina that insures everyone gets a happy ending is better than marginally plausible.

The rampant sexism gets no better - Stile still has every wo
Annette
Sep 20, 2007 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Shelves: fantasy
I strongly encourage this be read as the entire series. The last books go in a very different direction than the first few.

At first, this seems a rather typical fantasy type book. Toward the end, well, the comparison to our own world is inevitable and powerful.

Why can't we all just get along?

I'm giving the series a rating of 4. Some of the books in the series are better than others. As a whole, I think it's worthy of a 4.
W. Boutwell
Nov 01, 2016 W. Boutwell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The weakest of the Apprentice Adept trilogy.
The old characters are moved about like chess pieces.
The new characters are uni-dimensional and just plot devices.
The whole book is really a plot device to get the first two books to lie down and be quiet.
If you have put your effort into the first 500+ pp and need to see that it all comes out all right, by all means go ahead, but not Anthony's best
Nicholas Armstrong
This book taught me a very important thing, the meaning of the word Juxtaposition. I used it incessantly after and discovered that professors really like it in essays.
Coby Randquist
Jan 07, 2008 Coby Randquist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2/1/2013
Douglas Debner
This is probably the worse Piers Anthony book I've ever read and it is still okay. This is partly due to the fact that he wrote himself into a corner. The prior two books in this series set up the "Game" finale and a mystery about who was manipulating/trying to kill the main character, Stile. Having drug all this out for three books it was pretty clear what was going to happen here. So the Game comes to a very anti-climatic conclusion since the final contest was a poetry competition which was ne ...more
Sandra Noonan
Jan 09, 2017 Sandra Noonan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You've come this far...

This wraps up the first Apprentice Adept series, and if you liked them, you will love this. Explains the twists and turns that kept you turning the page (or swiping the finger) from the previous books.
Troy
May 06, 2017 Troy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Slow at the beginning. Gets better in the middle and towards the end.
Onefinemess
Nov 19, 2012 Onefinemess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Ahh the thrilling conclusion! At least for a few years until he decided to write 4 more volumes (which will hopefully stand the test of time and memory).

I think the cover is hideous, and the worst one of the set. I find it hard to find Lady Blue attractive with that cover image in mind *barf*. Or maybe that’s supposed to be Sheen the golem/machine woman? Wait no, her horse is just a horse, so it’s not Sheen. Either way, I can’t suspend my disbelief that far. I tried not to look at the cover befo
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this series over 20 years ago. During all this time, I have remembered these books fondly and they have remained some of my favorite stories. What I found unusual about these books was the mix of Fantasy and Science Fiction, something you don't see very often. Loving both of these genres, I fell for this series . . hard.

Stile is a really cool character that can do just about anything. What I like about him is that he is small in statue, but large in heart, which makes him a ch
Allie709
Oct 26, 2016 Allie709 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book concludes my favorite series. It includes adventure, love, magic, action, friendship, and more! Stile has to save two worlds at tghe same time and with the help of his friends, and some of his foe, he stops Proton(the science world) and Phaze(the magical world) by juxtaposing them. Stile also needs to figure out which world he belongs to. He has to fight the leader uniorn, and play against top gamers in "the Game". Thousands of lives are in jepordy and its up to Stile, this nobody from ...more
Gabriel
Aug 02, 2008 Gabriel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I'm purging I might as well throw in this book from my early adolescence. A world where everyone's naked? What fourteen-year-old boy wouldn't want to go. Sure, the constant erections plagued me during this period of my life might have been a bit awkward, but back then this is exactly what I was into. I blame this book for my adolescent tendency to strip naked whenever I was faced by an awkward social situation. Such as a friend of mine inviting a bunch of us over to attempt to convert us t ...more
Jeanne Boyarsky
Dec 20, 2014 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David
Apr 12, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in the series finally separates the two worlds. There is one item that truly irritated me throughout Juxtaposition. In the other novels it is quite secret that Stiles can shift between the two worlds, but in the third everybody and his brother knows all the details of Stiles journey back and forth. If it wasn't for Anthony's excellent action writing and creative game elements, I probably would have tossed it aside. It still amazes me this series hasn't been done in at least film or Ani ...more
Dawn
I read this as a stand alone book, not realizing that it was the third book in a series. Could possibly explain why it took awhile to figure out what was going on.
Nevertheless I found it quite an interesting book with this kind of half science fiction and half fantasy world going on. I liked both worlds and our hero was quite fascinating. I was also quite interested in both love interests, one on each world. Not sure I liked the outcome but liked the book.
Jim Razinha
Something about Pier Anthony series always seem to find me slogging my way through to finish the last book. Yes, I know that he wrote more after this one, but I barely remember that I might have read Out of Phaze. I certainly didn't read any of the others. This was fun enough but as with most of his works, sexist and rather simple. Anyway, it's the last of the Adepts for me in my Year of Nostalgic Rereads...
Jay
Jul 10, 2013 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy
Always kinda liked this series, a bit of a guilty pleasure; re-read it recently with a certain nostalgia. I felt the protagonist's adventures in the scientific world of Proton were a lot more compelling than his adventures in the magical world, since as an Adept he had the power to basically wish for anything he wanted in Phaze. I enjoyed his climb through the Tourney and up the ranks of the Citizenry, I liked the robot equal rights subplot, and I liked the book's ending.

Angela Delgado
This is another that was kind of 'meh'. It wasn't as much fun as the previous entry in the series; where previously Stile was trying to advance in the Game and win Citizenship, this book follows him and his new wife as they amble along on their honeymoon and keep getting delayed by interference. The interest didn't really pick up until closer to the end, with the merging of the frames and the challenges involved.
William
Jun 04, 2009 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About time!
Man, after getting hooked on the characters in Book 1, then the intense build up of Book 2, I could not finish Book 3 fast enough.

The plot was pretty simple, and awfully predictable. But I've found all of Piers' books this way, and what kept me in the series was his high action stories, interesting characters, and the interesting environments.

I found myself predicting most of this book before I finished Book 1. But please don't let that bother you, it's still a fun read.
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The final book in the first trilogy wraps everything up. Stile finds out who was trying to kill him and why. He must also use his status in both worlds to solve an even bigger problem.

All in all it is a good trilogy, although it gets a bit preachy in the final book. The second trilogy is just ok, I recommend getting it from the library if you want to read it.
Andy
Sep 07, 2008 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While all the threads were very suitably wrapped up in this 3rd book, the writing style was perhaps at its worst here. Still I love the series. I wonder whether it could be made into a tv miniseries--the main obstacle being that the characters are naked 1/2 of the time. Otherwise I think it would be great.
Lee
Aug 01, 2010 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Jill
Dec 20, 2011 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice conclusion to the Apprentice Adept trilogy (even though there are 4 more books to the series). I found some plot moves a bit far-fetched, even in a fantasy world of magic, and Piers Anthony is not as clever with plot twists as he would like to believe, but still a worthwhile read if you have read the first two books.
Christian Crowley
Aug 19, 2013 Christian Crowley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fun conclusion to the original trilogy, with the usual interesting explorations of the author's imaginative universe. But also has the usual tiresome commentary about women and gender relations, and the author's tendency to breeze through challenges he's set his characters, and to wrap up all the loose plot ends in a hurry.
Michael R.
Really disappointed in the finale.

First, I didn't like resolution with the robot Sheen, who was so in love with Stile that she would sacrifice her being for him. Sheen ends up with Stile's double. That's a happy ending?

All of the answers I'd been waiting to see resolved, seemed anti-climatic.

Enjoyed the first two books of this series much better.
Caitlin
This is the third book in the Apprentice Adept series and is kind of a sub-end. You can honestly stop the series here and be perfectly happy. This is the last book where Stile is the main character.

It is a good book and does have some small surprises, which is a pretty rare thing with Piers Anthony.
  • Cerberus: A Wolf in the Fold (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #2)
  • The Dead of Winter (Thieves' World, #7)
  • On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #4)
  • White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Apprentice Adept (7 books)
  • Split Infinity  (Apprentice Adept #1)
  • Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)
  • Out of Phaze (Apprentice Adept #4)
  • Robot Adept (Apprentice Adept #5)
  • Unicorn Point (Apprentice Adept #6)
  • Phaze Doubt (Apprentice Adept #7)

“For an instant Stile was daunted by the improbability of it all: a man, a cyborg, a robot, an animalhead, and a wooden golem, all riding unicorns through a battlefield strewn with goblins and dragons, pursuing an invaluable ball of power-rock that rolled along a channel cleared by plastic explosive. What a mishmash!” 0 likes